Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Glazius posted:

This is a pretty great gimmick run, I have to say.

Thanks! My original idea was to math out the optimal route through all 20 books, but the program I wrote ran out of memory less than halfway through the first book. I'm doing some old-fashioned Mark I Eyeballing on the directed graphs at Project Aon and using the RNG gimmicks to reduce the state space.

E: update near bottom of previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Page 157 posted:

If you wish to join the refugees and perhaps learn more of what has happened in the north, turn to 30.

If you would prefer to continue to move south but under cover of the trees, turn to 167.

Page 167 posted:

You have been travelling for about a mile when you notice two legs sticking out from behind a large boulder.

If you possess and wish to use the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, turn to 178.

If you wish to take a closer look, turn to 88.

If you would rather avoid meeting their owner and press on into the forest, turn to 264.

Page 178 posted:

Your skill enables you to recognize the boots and leggings of a King’s soldier. You can sense that the man is wounded and in need of help.

If you wish to aid him, turn to 88.

If you would rather leave him here, turn to 264.

e: realized that the Sixth Sense page was just informational, so changed what the choice is.

e2: two pages means two more EP; we're at 21/25 now.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 16, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Go and aid our fallen brother.

Grab his sword while we're at it.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Hmm, I'll purchase a raffle ticket for Leaving Him There since he might be bait. I read books by this author and he knew how to do some clever turn-arounds.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I can't see any reason not to aid this soldier.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm going to throw in a left-field vote for having the starter item be a Chainmail waistcoat. It's pretty much the best find possible but we're unlikely to reach a point that demands we have it when we consistently roll slightly above average.
Based on what I remember of later books, I'd actually pick the helmet as chainmail waistcoats aren't that hard to come by but helmets are incredibly rare, so taking it here allows you to get a total of +6 EP instead of just +4. It has been a long time though, so I may be completely wrong.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Rolling...

Added Space posted:

Go and aid our fallen brother.

Grab his sword while we're at it.

Page 178 posted:

Your skill enables you to recognize the boots and leggings of a King’s soldier. You can sense that the man is wounded and in need of help.

If you wish to aid him, turn to 88.

If you would rather leave him here, turn to 264.

Page 88 posted:

You cautiously peer around the rock to see a soldier lying on his back. By his side is a Spear and shield. On the shield is the painting of a white pegasus—the Prince of Sommerlund’s emblem. He is one of the Prince’s soldiers, and he is only just conscious. His uniform is badly torn, and you can see that he has a deep wound in his left arm. As you move nearer, his eyes flicker open. ‘Heal me, my Lord,’ he begs. ‘I can barely feel my arm.’

If you possess and wish to use the Kai Discipline of Healing on this man, turn to 216.

If you do not possess the skill, or if you do not want to use it, then turn to 31.

Well, the bad news is, he doesn't have a Sword. And while having an item have an initial capital like that usually means you can take it, we don't have a compelling reason to do so.

Page 216 posted:

Placing one hand on his forehead and the other on his wounded arm, you feel the warmth of your healing powers leave your body and give strength to the injured man.

He tells you his name is Trimis and he is a soldier in Prince Pelathar’s army. The Prince and his troops are engaged in battle to the south, where a large force of the Darklords’ creatures are attacking the bridge of Alema. During the fight, he had been snatched into the air by a Kraan, and dropped into the forest.

You make the soldier as comfortable as possible before continuing on your mission.

Turn to 264.

Page 264 posted:

You have not gone far when you hear the sound of battle to the west.

If you wish to follow the sound, turn to 97.

If you would rather continue south, turn to 6.

Oh hey, that didn't take long. How're you? Me? Oh, I just kicked three Giaks' asses, no big deal. Got divebombed by a Kraan, just a little cut. Gallant? I dunno, he ran off when he saw the Giaks.

Goofus lost 2 EP during the five seconds we weren't around, but he did get another combat. (We healed another 3 EP and are almost fully healed.) He's going to head west; should we do the same? Or should we go south and reconnect with Gallant? Also, would anyone object to me simplifying our quantum inventory? Specifically, dumping all the weapons from it and settling on our Lone Wolf having an Axe (from the beginning) and a Dagger (since we found one along the way)?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The soldier said the prince was fighting to the south, but I guess that sound to the west is actually the battle? I guess we'd better go west then and help him.

FredMSloniker posted:

Also, would anyone object to me simplifying our quantum inventory? Specifically, dumping all the weapons from it and settling on our Lone Wolf having an Axe (from the beginning) and a Dagger (since we found one along the way)?
I've no objection.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I bet those sounds are just weird, loud birds. Ignore them and head south.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We must go south. There might be loot.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Rolling...

Page 264 posted:

You have not gone far when you hear the sound of battle to the west.

If you wish to follow the sound, turn to 97.

If you would rather continue south, turn to 6. (Thanks, AnAnonymousIdiot!)

Page 6 posted:

In the distance you can hear the sound of horses galloping nearer. You crouch behind a tree and wait as the riders come closer. They are the cavalry of the King’s Guard wearing the white uniforms of His Majesty’s army.

If you wish to call them, turn to 183.

If you wish to let them pass and then continue on your way through the forest, turn to 200.

I'm making the call here, because...

Page 183 posted:

The officer orders his men to halt and asks you your business. You tell him who you are, and how the monastery has been destroyed. He is deeply saddened to hear your news. He offers you a horse and asks you to accompany him to Prince Pelathar, the King’s son.

If you accept, turn to 97.

If you decide to decline his offer, turn to 200.

...we can still go to page 200 if we want, or, with this extra information, go to page 97 after all. So what'll it be? (Oh, and we're now fully healed.)

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Meet the prince

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I still think we should help the prince.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Page 183 posted:

The officer orders his men to halt and asks you your business. You tell him who you are, and how the monastery has been destroyed. He is deeply saddened to hear your news. He offers you a horse and asks you to accompany him to Prince Pelathar, the King’s son.

If you accept, turn to 97.

If you decide to decline his offer, turn to 200.

Page 97 posted:

Ahead of you, you can see a fierce battle raging across a stone bridge. The clash of steel and the cries of men and beasts echo through the forest. In the midst of the fighting, you see Prince Pelathar, the King’s son. He is in combat with a large grey Gourgaz who is wielding a black axe above his scaly head. Suddenly, the Prince falls wounded—a black arrow in his side.

If you wish to defend the fallen Prince, turn to 255.

If you wish to run into the forest, turn to 306.

Why's it gotta be a black arrow, huh? (Also, page 306 is an instadeath, jumped in the woods; it doesn't say so, but I suspect it's the author's punishment for being so lame.)

Page 255 posted:

The creature that you now face is a Gourgaz, one of a race of cold-blooded reptilian creatures that dwell deep in the treacherous Maakenmire swamps. Their favourite food is human flesh!

The Prince’s Sword lies at your feet. You may pick up and use this weapon if you wish. The Gourgaz is about to strike at you—you must fight him to the death.

Gourgaz: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 30

This creature is immune to Mindblast.

If you win, turn to 82.

A Sword? Don't mind if we do! We'll drop the Axe, unless anyone objects.

Combat Analysis posted:

Probability of victory: 77.02%.
Probabilities of remaining EP:
  • 1+: 77.02%
  • 2+: 74.25%
  • 3+: 71.98%
  • 4+: 69.87%
  • 5+: 66.65%
  • 6+: 61.10%
  • 7+: 54.78% (median)
  • 8+: 49.47%
  • 9+: 45.36%
  • 10+: 42.13% (us)
  • 11+: 39.45%
  • 12+: 35.61%
  • 13+: 29.45%
  • 14+: 23.34%
  • 15+: 18.52%
  • 16+: 15.00%
  • 17+: 12.53%
  • 18+: 10.89%
  • 19+: 9.02%
  • 20+: 6.11%
  • 21+: 3.56%
  • 22+: 1.97%
  • 23+: 1.10%
  • 24+: 0.55%
  • 25+: 0.24%

So. That was an extremely bloody combat, for our Lone Wolf, at least. (Goofus gets out without a scratch.) Which means we have an important decision to make before we turn to the next page. Should we take an item from our quantum inventory to help? (Please specify whether it's the Helmet, the Chainmail Waistcoat, or the Healing Potion.) Or should we rely on Healing and just avoid fights for a while?

e: I goofed. We have 10 EP coming out, not 6.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 17, 2017

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Also, congratulations on surviving the opponent with the highest Combat Skill in the book! (I'm not sure if it's the most difficult fight yet; I have to crunch some numbers.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think we need a helmet. Sure it'll crap our style down at the skate park, but safety first!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Definitely going with the helmet.

That is a weird-looking monster. Stands upright on these short, bent legs; huge long torso; tail of some kind; and I can't even figure out what's going on with the face/mouth. Imagine this thing walking around. What does that look like?

And how did it get here? The Maakenmire swamp is off to the south of here, while the Giaks come from the Darklands in the west. The Darklands is a huge area, so you can head east from there to Maakenmire, but not without travelling through populated areas, which doesn't work if you're launching a sneak attack on the Kai monastery in the northwest to kick off your invasion.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tiggum posted:

And how did it get here? The Maakenmire swamp is off to the south of here, while the Giaks come from the Darklands in the west. The Darklands is a huge area, so you can head east from there to Maakenmire, but not without travelling through populated areas, which doesn't work if you're launching a sneak attack on the Kai monastery in the northwest to kick off your invasion.

It could've traveled to the Darklands earlier, sort of like the goblins who went to Mordor in Lord of the Rings.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
The darklords (?) have been planning this campaign for years. Presumably lizard man here left a lady lizard with nest of eggs; repeating the nice Giak recruiter's anti-human slogans and promising to return with a pile of coin so their hatchlings would want for nothing.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So I did the math (and, in the process, figured out how to make my combat analysis program grossly more efficient). There are only three more difficult fights than the one we just had (by the standards of our current Lone Wolf at max EP, and in terms of probability of survival). One of them is against an opponent with an instant-death mechanic, one of them is against three tough opponents, and one of them is against four even tougher opponents.

We can still reach all three of those fights. :devil:

Anyway. Helmet on, and away we go!

Page 82 posted:

The giant Gourgaz lies dead at your feet. His evil followers hiss at you and then fall back from the bridge. The Prince’s soldiers form a protective wall around you and their dying leader with their shields. Black arrows whistle past your head.

The dying Prince looks up into your eyes and says, ‘Kai Lord, you must take a message to my father. The enemy is too strong, we cannot hold him. The King must seek that which is in Durenor or all is lost. Take my horse and ride for the capital. May the luck of the gods ride with you.’

You bid a sad farewell to the Prince, mount his white steed, and head south along the forest path. The battle still rages behind you as the Prince’s men fight off another assault on the bridge.

Turn to 235.

And yes, we get to keep the sword.

Page 235 posted:

The Prince’s horse is indeed a magnificent animal, fast and sure of foot. You gallop along the twisting track as if it were a straight highway, until the noise of battle has disappeared far behind you.

You are hungry and must eat a Meal during your ride.

After several miles, the path stops abruptly at a junction. There is a signpost, but it has been hacked down.

If you wish to use your Kai Discipline of Tracking, turn to 254.

If you wish to turn left, go to 32.

If you wish to turn right, go to 146.

No help from Tracking here. On the up side, between the Helmet and the Healing, we now have 10 14 EP. We also have a few decisions to make.
  • If we had Hunting, we wouldn't need to eat a Meal here. Do we have Hunting or not?
  • Should we eat none, one, or both of our Meals of Laumspur? Each one we eat will heal us another 3 EP, and eating at least one will satisfy our need to eat here. Even if you think our Lone Wolf should have Hunting, we could chow down just for the healing. (If you decide against Hunting and Meals of Laumspur, Lone Wolf will eat his regular Meal, unless anyone objects.)
  • And, of course, which way should we turn?
I'll do a raffle on all three decisions individually. (You can win more than once, and of course, if there's consensus on one or more points, I don't have to raffle them.)

Oh, and...

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 17, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
One Laumspur Meal and No Hunting.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
We're heading south, and the capital is east, so :goleft:

Take hunting, it doubles as acrobatics.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Oh, and if you don't have an opinion on all three points, you can leave some out. If you do have an opinion, though, be sure to edit it into your post!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Aerdan posted:

One Laumspur Meal and No Hunting.

Seconding this. And, uh, go left? It's tradition, or something?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This left/right decision annoys me. We're told it's a twisting track so we, the player, don't know which way we're facing. But it's daytime so any idiot should be able to look at where the sun is and work out which direction is north, so Lone Wolf should know exactly which way to go.

As to the rest, no hunting and eat a laumspur meal.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh poo poo, Lone Wolf.

Had this on my first Kindle, played once or twice before it got stolen, new Kindle wouldn't run it.

- We are a Huntsman.
- We still eat the laumspur, for Healing and because I don't see us actually stopping to hunt here, come on.
- MAXIMUM CHAOS. Flip a coin: Heads Right, Tails Left.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Let's see. We have consensus on eating a Meal of Laumspur. As for the other two decisions, I've rolled that (1d5=) someone awful. decides that we do not have Hunting and (1d3=) Added Space declares that we shall go...

Page 235 posted:

If you wish to use your Kai Discipline of Tracking, turn to 254.

If you wish to turn left, go to 32.

If you wish to turn right, go to 146.

Page 32 posted:

You have ridden about three miles when, in the distance, you spot the unmistakable silhouette of five large Doomwolves. Riding on their backs are Giaks. They seem to be going on ahead to where the path leads down into an open meadow. Suddenly, one of the Giaks leaves the others and begins to ride back along the path towards you.

If you wish to hide in the undergrowth and let him pass, turn to 176.

If you wish to fight him, turn to 340.

We're now up to 14 18 EP, for what it's worth. Do you think we can take him, or should we wait?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 17, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Let him pass. We could use a little more recovery time before we take on anything else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

He's gonna see our horse, isn't he? fight him before he can alert the others

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
We're here to Kick rear end and learn mystical fightmans powers in a monastery.

And we're all outta monasteries.

Changed vote, see new post.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 17, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

RickVoid posted:

We're here to Kick rear end and learn mystical fightmans powers in a monastery.

And we're all outta monasteries.

Actually, we're here to get to the capital safely; the rear end kicking doesn't really begin until Book 3. So we might want to hide for right now.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Discretion is the better part of not getting murdered. Sometimes. These things are pretty rude. Still, let's lay low and let them pass.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We lay low but swear that what fell deed they commit will be returned with interest.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Brave Sir Lone Wolf ran away.

: I what?

Bravely ran away, away.

: I didn't!

When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.

: I never!

Yes, brave Sir Lone Wolf turned about, and gallantly he chickened out.

: You're lying!

Swiftly taking to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the brave, Sir Lone Wolf!

: All lies!

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 17, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RickVoid posted:

Brave Sir Lone Wolf ran away.

We do have bigger concerns. If Lone Wolf dies here, that could be the tipping point that lets the Darklords defeat Sommerlund, from which point they begin conquering the rest of Magnamund, which tips the balance of the universe in favour of the dark god Naar and the next thing you know evil triumphs and everything is terrible forever.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So it turned out I goofed on combat results. Specifically, I should be picking the EP results that are at least 40% likely, not 60% likely. As a result, our Lone Wolf now has 18 EP, not 14. I've gone back and corrected the posts in question.

Anyway! Rolling...

Page 32 posted:

If you wish to hide in the undergrowth and let him pass, turn to 176. (Thanks, RickVoid!)

If you wish to fight him, turn to 340.

Good call, incidentally; having the fight doesn't get you any good loot and leads to the same decisions as...

Page 176 posted:

You hide behind some thick bushes so that the Doomwolf and its rider will not see your white horse. Luckily it works—the beast lopes past and vanishes down the track that you have just come along.

If you wish to attack the remaining Doomwolves and their riders, turn to 253.

If you wish to press on deeper into the forest, turn to 126.

And we're up to 19 EP. You think we can take this fight?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
We must go deeper! ...Into the forest, I mean.

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

There's nothing to be gained in risking our life here. We're still kind of a wimp. Avoid the fight.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

We do have bigger concerns. If Lone Wolf dies here, that could be the tipping point that lets the Darklords defeat Sommerlund, from which point they begin conquering the rest of Magnamund, which tips the balance of the universe in favour of the dark god Naar and the next thing you know evil triumphs and everything is terrible forever.

Hence why I went ahead and changed my vote, a good thing as it turned out!

Sneak Sneak Sneak Sneak

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

We have a consensus on avoiding this fight, which is a good thing, because...

Page 253 posted:

The Doomwolves are soon on you and you must fight them one at a time.

Doomwolf 1: COMBAT SKILL 13 ENDURANCE 24

Doomwolf 2: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 23

Doomwolf 3: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 22

Doomwolf 4: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 21

If you kill them all in battle, turn to 278.

In our current condition, the odds of surviving this battle are 5.3%. This is one of the three fights I mentioned as being harder than the Gourgaz fight. Even Goofus didn't fight this fight, though that's because he's seeking quantity over quality, and avoiding this fight lets him get into a few more.

Anyhoo.

Page 126 posted:

You ride deeper and deeper into the forest. Silently you thank the Prince for such a fine horse, for although the ground is a tangle of briars and roots, he never once falters. The Doomwolves are soon left far behind and you bring your horse to a halt. The light has faded fast and it is almost night.

If you wish to press on ahead, turn to 46.

If you wish to bear left (the same direction as the path you left far behind) then turn to 143.

Goofus is with us again, but I'm not going to spoil which path he plans on taking. Which way will you go? (Oh, and we're up to 20 EP.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Oh, and Goofus's fight with the Giak and Doomwolf went uneventfully. I've updated his kill count and added the Scroll he found to his Backpack.

• Locked thread