Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

It looks like the Urban Exploration thread is archived So i figured I would start a new one as it's something I would like to learn more about.

I'm new to photography in general but I've been trying to find decrepit things to photograph lately.

Here is an old Car I found in the woods
6 Springs
by curbjumpinss, on Flickr

And a gallery with more
https://www.flickr.com/photos/curbjumpinss/albums/72157681369186255

And an old Tractor I found in an abandoned house/ garage
2 tractors
by curbjumpinss, on Flickr

Here is the Gallery
https://www.flickr.com/photos/curbjumpinss/albums/72157677961885013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I've seen lots of abandoned poo poo over the years and have taken plenty of bad pictures of it all. Enjoy, laugh, poo poo ur pants.

Packard by Tom Olson, on Flickr

114 by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Get out of here. by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Horror by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Chernobyl Power Plant by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Titan's Lair by Tom Olson, on Flickr

The Hollow by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

WIP by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Gary by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Hospital by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Basketball by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Pripyat by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Pripyat & Chernobyl by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Hummingbird by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Pripyat Streets by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Estate by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Igloo by Tom Olson, on Flickr

extra comedy poo poo:

The Empty Hospital by Tom Olson, on Flickr

The Bridge to Someplace New by Tom Olson, on Flickr

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I'm assuming the gas masks are at chernobyl. How much does a trip there cost?

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

my turn in the barrel posted:

About 5 years off your life

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't know how 'safe' Chernobyl is now but I know it's no longer illegal to go so... there's that?

E: super glad this thread is back. I may have more stuff to add soon

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

my turn in the barrel posted:

It's about a hundred bucks per person depending on the tour guide you go with. It can go lower if you have a bigger party. You can only go with an official guide, you can't just rock up and start wandering about by yourself.

untitled-45.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-41.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Flexaret011.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Kyiv_April-74.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Arsenalna, Kyiv by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Abandoned NKVD prison by Iain Compton, on Flickr

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I went back to that car after some snow fell.

Quarter
by GunandShotTV, on Flickr

And I hit some abandoned farms in my area

Well House

Holey Barn

Green Room

Coop

Now that I'm looking there are abandoned farms all around.

I found a neat abandoned Study inside a dilapidated old barn

Cozy study behind door in Same barn

Second case and fireplace

Someone was messy

I also hit another 5 or 10 places and need to organize them and pick my favorites to upload.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Here is a place I found full of old cars.

Beak

Bodywork special

Plymouth

Mean green

Ramblin

Full gallery of all the cars here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/curbjumpinss/albums/72157681966974125

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Can we have a pro/con about how 90% of photos of abandoned places now use aggressive HDR? I hate it because it makes everything look so...fake.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Urbex and HDR appeal to the masses. There's nothing wrong with that, but photographers look at photos on the reg as a hobby. You start building taste and an appreciation for composition and subtleties. I can't smell, so a lot of flavours and seasonings are completely lost on me, and a lot of things taste super good to me that are bland for everyone else. For me it owns, because "boring" food tastes the same as really good food so I always enjoy my meal. I thought about this stuff a while ago and came to the conclusion that people liking hdr or people (me included) liking pop music is exactly the same as me liking all food, except you can develop appreciation for an art. You can't grow a new nose.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think bracketing is useful because abandoned interior spaces are going to have lovely lighting and it's nice to have a bigger dynamic range to work with.

Turning it into mega processed poo poo though is bad and dumb.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah bracketing/hdr makes sense to a degree with urbex when you're in a pretty poorly lit setting. The problem is then people go nuts with it

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah good hdr is good, the hdr that sticks out like a sore thumb, optionally going ham on the presence sliders is what I meant.

I really hate seeing steel wool in urbex photos. Loads of great old buildings in Brisbane get burned down by people doing it, so all the really awesome stuff has tight security or gets demolished pretty quickly.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

underage at the vape shop posted:

Yeah good hdr is good, the hdr that sticks out like a sore thumb, optionally going ham on the presence sliders is what I meant.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. May be confirmation bias because I look at a lot of urbex stuff, but so much of it is this.

OTOH, back when I was young and had time to explore the ruins of my hometown (and could shake off a trespassing charge as "teenagers doing teenager poo poo"), I used to leave a camera on bulb on a tripod and "paint" big rooms with a maglight, which isn't any less forced, so maybe I should shut up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

stealie72 posted:

OTOH, back when I was young and had time to explore the ruins of my hometown (and could shake off a trespassing charge as "teenagers doing teenager poo poo"), I used to leave a camera on bulb on a tripod and "paint" big rooms with a maglight, which isn't any less forced, so maybe I should shut up.

son of a bitch that's a clever idea

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

DJExile posted:

son of a bitch that's a clever idea
I was doing it in the film era and didn't have immediate feedback, so the results were...imprecise. I got some cool shots out of it, though. Also would play with firing a hand held flash in a couple directions with the camera on bulb, which worked better, but was obviously much harsher.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
I really need to get out more, I've tried finding abandoned stuff to shoot and never seem to luck out. I guess that's the downside to living in such a big overpopulated city, there's nothing really left that doesn't get boarded up and locked down immediately.

Some really great and inspiring work posted here so far... hopefully I'll be able to find something in the NYC/NJ/PA areas this spring and contribute :ninja:

ianskate fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 30, 2017

folder
Oct 9, 2016

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

stealie72 posted:

Can we have a pro/con about how 90% of photos of abandoned places now use aggressive HDR? I hate it because it makes everything look so...fake.

Last week I was selling my stuff at a big art/craft fair and there was a photographer there who was selling HDRed old/rusty junk. People were buying that stuff up like crazy. It made me question my life choices with respect to the types of photography I'm pursuing.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Fits right in between my neon bud lite sign and my Harley Davidson branded jukebox down in my man cave.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

underage at the vape shop posted:

I really hate seeing steel wool in urbex photos. Loads of great old buildings in Brisbane get burned down by people doing it, so all the really awesome stuff has tight security or gets demolished pretty quickly.

Could you elaborate on the steel wool thing? Are urbex photogs starting fires in old buildings for some kind of lighting effect, and sharing photos with the world that include the fire-starting materials? Why steel wool and not, I dunno, something else flammable if you're hankering for a fire-lit photo?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Could you elaborate on the steel wool thing? Are urbex photogs starting fires in old buildings for some kind of lighting effect, and sharing photos with the world that include the fire-starting materials? Why steel wool and not, I dunno, something else flammable if you're hankering for a fire-lit photo?

It's this effect.

You set fire to some steel wool stuffed into a kitchen whisk and swing it around to get the shower of sparks and light trails.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

It's this effect.

You set fire to some steel wool stuffed into a kitchen whisk and swing it around to get the shower of sparks and light trails.

That effect looks dope tho.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Its cool but its done to death in Australian urbex and it causes fires. Literally everything cool and old has very strict security because people burn them down on the reg. Your only option in Brisbane are the stormwater drains that flood at high tide, the less guarded stuff has all been knocked down.

E: like do steel wool shots, but dont do them in buildings made of timber, built before fire regulations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

It's this effect.

Thanks! That is indeed a cool effect - done outdoors on a snow-covered field. Inside a pre-fire-regulations wood building seems like a bad idea.

When I saw "I hate seeing steel wool in photos" I thought that meant a bit of steel wool in the corner of the shot, like the photog forgot to clean up before showing the world the evidence of their pyromaniac tendencies. Pictures featuring actual fire inside old buildings wasn't what I was thinking. People are stupid, goddam.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that's an awesome effect but that's dumb as gently caress to do in an abandoned building :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Humans are traditionally extremely stupid with uninhabited property. Either they're looting tombs or they're tagging something with their name or destroying it just for fun.

I mean they're stupid in general but it seems like when no one's watching all inhibitions disappear.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
I like textures...

P3270468_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P5110819_A by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1013333_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

Also, I only have one lense atm...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

First one roofing?

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Yeah, the edge of an overlapping tile. :)

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

P1013888_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1013881_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_5963.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr