Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

What if you took "Drive", and swapped the ultraviolent, brooding, neon-lit affect of Nicholas Windig Refn for the pop-addled, needle-dropping auteurism of Edgar Wright?

Well you might get Baby Driver.

Starring Ansel Elgort as B-A-B-Y Baby, a young but troubled getaway man whose tinnitus-blocking set of rockin' tunes gives him nerves of steel; Lily James as his ladyfriend; Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood a menacing mob boss who happens to be Baby's boss; plus Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx and Jon Bernthal as charismatic-looking toughs who Baby drives around in increasingly 2fast2furious fashion.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byb2eJ_lLes

I mean, as trailers go, there's a lot to like here. That careening bright red Subaru whipping all over the frame, those gleaming Wayfarers, that soundtrack! This has all the feel of a classic chase/heist movie mixed with a jukebox framing device, but not without a dose of whimsy and weirdness - I love that Mike Myers joke in the trailer and I hope it plays as well in the film. I expect lots of delicious diegetic/musical moments as this is after all an Edgar Wright picture. It's gonna go vroom real fast, the soundtrack is going to kick rear end, Baby is probably going to end up driving for his life to get away from some very great vengeance and furious anger, and it seems to tilt way further toward an abundance of action beats over comedy beats moreso than anything Wright has done to date bar possibly Ant-Man.

It premiered at SXSW this month and people seem pretty happy with what they've seen. A lot of the story beats (a getaway driver balancing his blossoming romance against the potentially lethal pressure of one last job) seem very, very Drive-esque, but what more does a movie of this style need, really?

One last thought: I absolutely love the connection between the ubiquitous "baby" of vintage pop and R&B, and the stone-faced, near-anonymous driver archetype.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Baby Driver, you been down too long in the midnight sea...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Looks great, but if one of the songs used isn't "Leader of the Pack" then man, wasted opportunity for sure.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Jon Hamm gonna steal your girl, Baby.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

precision posted:

Looks great, but if one of the songs used isn't "Leader of the Pack" then man, wasted opportunity for sure.

:same:

That and "Be My Baby," of course.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
The trailer looks like poo poo but I have faith in Edgar Wright

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Come on, you didn't even like the part with the Mike Meyers halloween masks?

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 14, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I really dislike Ansel Elgort. The term "punchable" must have been coined just for him.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He's got that "drawing of guns on homework later used in trial" look.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
This looks interesting. It looks like a slight departure from his previous movies, but I'm excited to see how it comes together. Hot Fuzz is one of those movies that comes as close to perfection for me.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

I really dislike Ansel Elgort. The term "punchable" must have been coined just for him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mean Bean Machine posted:

The trailer looks like poo poo but I have faith in Edgar Wright

To me it looks like the trailer was put together with the goal of drawing in people that normally give his films a pass, I'm sure it will end up being all Edgar Wright-y. Not worried.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Come on, you didn't even like the part with the Mike Meyers halloween masks?

It's a man, baby! haha the jokes write themselves!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I have tinnitus should I become a getaway driver? Did not realize it gave you special abilities.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pycckuu posted:

It's a man, baby! haha the jokes write themselves!

Heyoooooo

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Here, have the better International trailer: https://youtu.be/z2z857RSfhk

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

This is indeed significantly better.

"SHAHP!"

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 15, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

drat, that really is a lot better.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That looks like a more fun Edgar Wright film now.

I wonder how his engines feel.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's cool to see how much he's improved in directing action. It was the weakest part of Hot Fuzz, but he made huge leaps and abounds in Scott Pilgrim and even in The World's End.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Snowman_McK posted:

It's cool to see how much he's improved in directing action. It was the weakest part of Hot Fuzz, but he made huge leaps and abounds in Scott Pilgrim and even in The World's End.

The action got better, everything else got worse.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
That tracking shot of Baby running across tables seamlessly warmed my heart.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its like Driver only with a kid who has a dumb name!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

precision posted:

Looks great, but if one of the songs used isn't "Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats" then man, wasted opportunity for sure.

Agreed.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

General Dog posted:

The action got better, everything else got worse.

Even though Hot Fuzz is still my favorite I disagree with this, like, a lot. SP and TWE might not have the same joke density or whatever but there's a much more interesting, character-driven story underlying both films than there is in Hot Fuzz. I think a valid argument could be made that they're better overall movies.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Good news:

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/846551961897881600

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm a little bummed that I'm not getting an Edgar Wright movie as a birthday present but it's hard to complain about getting it a month and a half early.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Even though Hot Fuzz is still my favorite I disagree with this, like, a lot. SP and TWE might not have the same joke density or whatever but there's a much more interesting, character-driven story underlying both films than there is in Hot Fuzz. I think a valid argument could be made that they're better overall movies.

The World's End was significantly worse than Shaun or Hot Fuzz. Attempting to tackle themes like becoming an adult and alcoholism didn't really made the story any deeper or more interesting, but it did make it less funny and slower paced.

I've rewatched the first 2 tons of times, and I don't think I'll ever have a desire to see TWE ever again after the one time in theater.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'm a big fan of Edgar Wright's work, especially the Cornetto trilogy and Scott Pilgrim, I'd say Ant-Man too but he only did the script (though you can tell from the direction and camera shots, it was meant to be his own thing, sadly).

I've got some high hopes for Baby Driver, mainly because he really has a thing for 70's cult films, like The Driver funnily enough, so I'm keen to see what he's got planned soon.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 28, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Megasabin posted:

The World's End was significantly worse than Shaun or Hot Fuzz. Attempting to tackle themes like becoming an adult and alcoholism didn't really made the story any deeper or more interesting, but it did make it less funny and slower paced.

I've rewatched the first 2 tons of times, and I don't think I'll ever have a desire to see TWE ever again after the one time in theater.

Yeah, same. I liked the premise, the execution much less so.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Scott Pilgrim though was energetic, thick with detail and self-reference, full of great cameos, weirdly faithful to the comic (for the first half), and very dedicated to a specific zeitgeist.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Megasabin posted:

Fair enough if it's just not to your tastes, but being less funny or slower paced doesn't make it categorically worse.

Also this post is hilarious

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm a big fan of Edgar Wright's work, especially the Cornetto trilogy and Scott Pilgrim,

because these are the only films he's directed (I'm aware of Fistful of Fingers but that only played in one theater, come on)

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 28, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Colonel Whitey posted:

Fair enough if it's just not to your tastes, but being less funny or slower paced doesn't make it categorically worse.

Also this post is hilarious

because these are the only films he's directed (I'm aware of Fistful of Fingers but that only played in one theater, come on)

uhh Spaced, music videos for The Bluebells, Daft Punk, and Mint Royale, Asylum, Dead Right (that student film he made with his schoolmates).

That one Pizza Hut commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27otZ9SIFnE

I know I mentioned just his films, but I have been following him for years.

and that one theater you're thinking of is the Prince Charles Cinema in London, unless it also played somewhere in a US theater years later.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 28, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah you're right I just assumed we were talking movies since, you know, CineD.

Also holy poo poo I haven't seen that Pizza Hut commercial, that is great. Nick Frost cameo!

Junior Jr. posted:

and that one theater you're thinking of is the Prince Charles Cinema in London, unless it also played somewhere in a US theater years later.

I think I recall him tweeting about a one-off screening in the States sometime last year. It would be cool if it got a Blu Ray release, or even just included as an extra on Baby Driver like he did with Dead Right on the Hot Fuzz disc.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 28, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
That's okay, I got what you were saying but hopefully that's cleared up now. :)

Just don't assume I don't know poo poo about my favourite director ever. got it? :smuggo:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

That's okay, I got what you were saying but hopefully that's cleared up now. :)

Just don't assume I don't know poo poo about my favourite director ever. got it? :smuggo:

No problem! I generally do assume that since it's so rare for me to find someone who even knows who he is. I should respect anyone posting in an Edgar Wright related thread!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think I recall him tweeting about a one-off screening in the States sometime last year. It would be cool if it got a Blu Ray release, or even just included as an extra on Baby Driver like he did with Dead Right on the Hot Fuzz disc.

I think there actually was a US screening two years ago, also the cinema I mentioned did a 20th anniversary re-release for A Fistful of Fingers, I did buy a ticket but then I only went and lost it. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've watched Hot Fuzz like 20 times and Scott Pilgrim maybe 5 or 6

It took me two sittings to even get through The World's End. It was good, but man it was not great.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The World's End is great you maniacs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I really liked The World's End when I saw it, but ever since I would be more likely to watch Shaun, Hot Fuzz, and Scott Pilgrim than revisit it.

Still makes it one of the best British films released though.

• Locked thread