Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jenny Angel posted:

That's my birthday... who wants to take me to see this on my birthday...

That's two days after mine, let's do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I've still never seen Hot Fuzz or Paul or At Worlds End which is a travesty because Shaun of the Dead is a masterpiece and Simon Pegg is the greatest British comedy icon since Rik Mayall

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Paul is skippable- has some moments, but the third act just screams "studio imposed rewrites".

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
New tv spot, it's very good as tv spots go

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/859481093371604992

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Nice, Baby Driver is an NBA Playoffs sponsor and is getting some good NBA themed prime time ads already on TNT. Looks like Sony is putting some actual money behind it, I hope it means it will do well.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonel Whitey posted:

Nice, Baby Driver is an NBA Playoffs sponsor and is getting some good NBA themed prime time ads already on TNT. Looks like Sony is putting some actual money behind it, I hope it means it will do well.

With Hamm and Spacey in it they drat well better be. Glad that Wright is getting out from under the Ant-Man shitshow and getting some primetime spotlight, he deserves it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think if anything sinks it it will be the fact that Elgort is the lead, I don't think there's much recognition or affinity for the guy.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think if anything sinks it it will be the fact that Elgort is the lead, I don't think there's much recognition or affinity for the guy.

Don't underestimate the Fault In Our Stars crowd, that made bank.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Don't underestimate the Fault In Our Stars crowd, that made bank.

Yeah exactly. We're getting old enough that there's incredibly famous people we have no idea about. I thought that Zendaya in the new spiderman was a total unknown but nope she's extremely famous in a demo I have no idea about.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Thanks guys, you made the fact that I'm terminally old and uncool seem encouraging

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Thanks guys, you made the fact that I'm terminally old and uncool seem encouraging

The worst is when football players younger than you start retiring. :(

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

The worst is when football players younger than you start retiring. :(

I had that when a guy the same age as me became a UFC champion.

At 23.

Man, gently caress Jon Jones.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Actors (especially male ones) tend to have pretty spectacular longevity to be fair so a new face does throw you. A lot of the traditional leading men are pushing 50 or just over. People talk about Ryan Gosling like he's part of the new generation of leading men but he's already 36 same with Tom Hiddleston. Even the "young" guys like Michael B Jordan and Miles Teller are 30. Yet if tradition holds they'll be doing the same kind of movies until they're 50+

So it is a bit startling to see Elgort at 23 as a lead especially if his previous stuff is out your demo. He was great in The Fault in our Stars and I'm hopeful he'll stick around.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

New poster is pretty slick

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/862740350305095680

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I didn't even watch that much Mad Men and seeing Jon Hamm not as Don Draper feels weird.
I've enjoyed the rest of Wright's movies in the theater so I'll be going to this regardless.

Junior Jr. posted:

Those Canadian places get the rep, but NEVER Ottawa, even though that's the country's Capital city!

Yeah, right. Do we look that stupid? Ottawa! Nice try, Dudley.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

New trailer. Reactions to preview screenings on twitter have been consistently glowing. Less than a month away!!

edit: how about I just embed the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zclDC3xt5AA

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 1, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The soundtrack is up and available for pre-order on vinyl on Amazon, Amoeba, and other, more lovely hipster-y (hello, UO) shopping sites. I'm sure someone has probably already made a playlist of all of the songs on Spotify or Apple Music, but I'm definitely picking up a copy for my record collection.

Also, I went and read some of the universally glowing reviews and spoiled myself on one of the most Edgar Wright cameos possible: Paul Williams shows up to play a gunrunner.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
So the protagonist, Baby, listens to music to get into his getaway car vibes...and looking back to this Mint Royale video, the getaway driver (played by Noel Fielding) uses CDs instead of a watch to count how long a bank robbery's taking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfrcZsKcVxU

I feel like there's some connection here, I can't be the only one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Junior Jr. posted:

So the protagonist, Baby, listens to music to get into his getaway car vibes...and looking back to this Mint Royale video, the getaway driver (played by Noel Fielding) uses CDs instead of a watch to count how long a bank robbery's taking.

I can't tell how sincere you're being, but I'm pretty sure Wright has said that his directing this video gave him the idea for Baby Driver.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

DC Murderverse posted:

I can't tell how sincere you're being, but I'm pretty sure Wright has said that his directing this video gave him the idea for Baby Driver.

Where did he say that? Do you know the article or interview?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Junior Jr. posted:

Where did he say that? Do you know the article or interview?

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/baby-driver-edgar-wright-mint-royale-music-video-sxsw-2017-1201792740/

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That interview pretty clearly states he had the idea well before doing that video, and used his idea for the opening scene as the premise for the video.

E: also I just realized, why is the subtitle for this thread not The Fault In Our Cars

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Colonel Whitey posted:

E: also I just realized, why is the subtitle for this thread not The Fault In Our Cars

Aw son of a bitch

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Colonel Whitey posted:

God dammit

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Huh, I didn't know he had that and the Crawl script in mind years ago, interesting.

Also I miss the old thread name. :(

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

Also I miss the old thread name. :(

Well I came up with this one so I'm pretty sure it's better :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GTA6 looking good.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

raditts posted:

Come on, you didn't even like the part with the Mike Meyers halloween masks?

I did

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Am I crazy or is this premiering on a Tuesday?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coffee And Pie posted:

Am I crazy or is this premiering on a Tuesday?

It's because that song about blowin up on a Tuesday is in it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, I'm really looking forward to this movie but I hate the title so much that I disassociate the movie from it every time. Just saw Jon Hamm introduce his new movie, Baby Driver, at the beginning of trailers yesterday and thought it was some new dumb comedy he was in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gyges posted:

Man, I'm really looking forward to this movie but I hate the title so much that I disassociate the movie from it every time. Just saw Jon Hamm introduce his new movie, Baby Driver, at the beginning of trailers yesterday and thought it was some new dumb comedy he was in.

I can't wait for this movie either but man, I feel like the title really hurts its chances among most moviegoers. It's so bad.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Gyges posted:

To be fair I felt the same way about Hot Fuzz before I saw it

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

just got out of seeing it.

A good movie.

Felt like a joyous ode to the genre much like Wright's previous movies. The cast was exceptional as to be expected. There's something to be said for a movie that has a relatively small scope but executes it with incredible competence. While lighter in tone than John Wick or Dredd it feels similar in that talented people are just operating at their best and having fun with making movies.

At worse it leans towards being too sentimental but yeah its real neat

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

How has this not been posted yet? It's fuckin cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J1xlZtCoDk

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Junior Jr. posted:

Using music to keep track of how long a robbery takes goes back at least as far as Hudson Hawk.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bought my tickets to see this at the Alamo, so pumped.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I know this is short notice, but if anybody in the Portland area wants to see this tonight I have a bunch of sneak preview passes. The screening is 7PM at Regal Pioneer Place on SW Morrison, PM me if you want a voucher (gets 2 people in).

Got about 15 vouchers in the mail yesterday and haven't had time to give em out to customers. In fact, most people have been completely unaware this movie exists and totally uninterested in it. They just stare blankly at me even when I run through the cast.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Movie is so loving dope. The soundtrack is killer (I wish there was like, just a touch more hip-hop, but there's a really nice variety overall), the acting is great, and the movie is directed as if Edgar Wright were directing the last motion picture ever so he had to go balls to the loving wall. I'm definitely gonna get out to see it again.

I really really wish that more directors would use editing and music like Edgar Wright. It's hard to watch something like Baby Driver which is filled with so much life and rhythm and energy and then go back to watch an average blockbuster.

Cameos, notes and Edgar Wright Directing Tricks I noticed:

*The words of Harlem Shuffle being grafitti'd on the wall as Baby was dancing to them was very fun
*I knew Paul Williams was gonna show up and he was wonderful giving that monologue about how great pigs are, but seeing the ATL twins out of nowhere blew me away. Clearly Wright likes Spring Breakers as much as I do.
*I'm sure if I went back I could get a better grip, but I'm pretty sure Baby flipping through the channels towards the beginning was our Patented Edgar Wright Gives The Story Away In The First Act moment.
*The lighting in the final battle between Baby and Buddy was spot on; Jon Hamm was lit in red, mirroring Darling's talk earlier about him seeing red.
*God Sky Ferreira has a beautiful voice. I really wish the soundtrack had a full recording of her singing Easy; the one on there now is only a minute or two long.
*I loved how Edgar Wright framed the violence (or rather, didn't frame the violence) early on in the movie to mirror Baby's ignoring of the actual consequences of what he was doing.
*I can't believe how Bats died. I genuinely didn't know what was going to happen going into it other than that Jon Hamm would be the final villain, but for some reason I expected Bats to secretly be nice and Doc to be a cold bastard, rather than how it turned out.
*Also well used: stereo sound. What you hear mirrors what the characters hear, so when Baby only has one bud in, you only get the music out of one side (the same side as he's listening to, of course).

I'm sure there's more I missed in there. Wright stuffs his movies to the gills with little hints, references and funny little jokes, I'm gonna really enjoy what other people see in the movie that I completely missed. So go loving see it you losers. Make this movie the surprise hit of the summer so we can get more Edgar Wright action movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DC Murderverse posted:

So go loving see it you losers. Make this movie the surprise hit of the summer so we can get more Edgar Wright action movies.

I've arranged to see this tomorrow evening with a bunch of friends because it's apparently down to me to organise anything. Fuckers. Looking forward to it.

• Locked thread