Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
gently caress yeah. I'm seeing it tomorrow also. I was gonna see it tonight but a friend surprised me with getting me into a Spider-Man screening, which I almost turned down because I'm much more excited for Baby Driver.

On the Variety Playback podcast, Wright said that he actually paid for extra shooting days on this because the studio wanted to cut the foot chase. The man is dedicated to making the best movie he can possibly make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
God I love foot chases.

I get to see this in 7 hours I'm HYPED.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

It was decent. Direction, soundtrack, and script were largely on point, but I feel like Hamm and Elgort were badly miscast. Overall, it felt like it was straining to be super stylish and cool. There was this weird disconnect between how awesome the movie was thinking it was making me feel and the actual level of excitement I felt.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Seeing it tonight by myself at the first screening. gently caress it, it's Edgar Wright.

Updated after seeing the movie: that was the real poo poo right there. I remember thinking to myself, "you know, I'm liking this but not quite loving it." That was right before I heard those first riffs from Hocus Pocus start up. From then on, I was watching in a state of pure joy. My theater was pretty much sold out, I showed up right before the previews ended and had to sit in the second row, so hopefully that's a good sign.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 28, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Saw it. In my opinion it was good, but not great (actually as the above poster said, "liking, but not loving it" describes what I felt well). I'd put it behind Shaun, Hot Fuzz, and Scott Pilgrim, but it's still a solid movie. Not sure I'd ever have a desire to rewatch it like I do those other 3.

I felt like the narrative didn't really go anywhere interesting, and the climax fizzled.John Hamm's character became annoying rather than actually threatening by the end, and the final fight/chase in the garage was a huge let down compared to earlier chases, and sort of wasted the Queen song. Also Kevin's Spacey's character arc seemed strange and out of the blue to me. I honestly just had a hard time feeling invested in Baby or Deborah, although Baby's relationship with his step-father was great, and by far the most genuine thing in the movie character wise.

That said some of the earlier chase/fight scenes were fantastic, especially the shootout synced up the music. It was also nice seeing Atlanta featured so prominently, since I live here.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 28, 2017

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Going tonight. God dammit I cannot wait to get off work and go see this thing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Just saw it. So drat good!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

A drat good movie.

Megasabin posted:

Also Kevin's Spacey's character arc seemed strange and out of the blue to me.

That was my initial opinion as well, but after thinking a bit more, I think it's fine: There was plenty of hints about Doc having a soft spot for Baby throughout the movie.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 29, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

Movie is so loving dope. The soundtrack is killer (I wish there was like, just a touch more hip-hop, but there's a really nice variety overall), the acting is great, and the movie is directed as if Edgar Wright were directing the last motion picture ever so he had to go balls to the loving wall. I'm definitely gonna get out to see it again.

I really really wish that more directors would use editing and music like Edgar Wright. It's hard to watch something like Baby Driver which is filled with so much life and rhythm and energy and then go back to watch an average blockbuster.

Cameos, notes and Edgar Wright Directing Tricks I noticed:

*The words of Harlem Shuffle being grafitti'd on the wall as Baby was dancing to them was very fun
*I knew Paul Williams was gonna show up and he was wonderful giving that monologue about how great pigs are, but seeing the ATL twins out of nowhere blew me away. Clearly Wright likes Spring Breakers as much as I do.
*I'm sure if I went back I could get a better grip, but I'm pretty sure Baby flipping through the channels towards the beginning was our Patented Edgar Wright Gives The Story Away In The First Act moment.
*The lighting in the final battle between Baby and Buddy was spot on; Jon Hamm was lit in red, mirroring Darling's talk earlier about him seeing red.
*God Sky Ferreira has a beautiful voice. I really wish the soundtrack had a full recording of her singing Easy; the one on there now is only a minute or two long.
*I loved how Edgar Wright framed the violence (or rather, didn't frame the violence) early on in the movie to mirror Baby's ignoring of the actual consequences of what he was doing.
*I can't believe how Bats died. I genuinely didn't know what was going to happen going into it other than that Jon Hamm would be the final villain, but for some reason I expected Bats to secretly be nice and Doc to be a cold bastard, rather than how it turned out.
*Also well used: stereo sound. What you hear mirrors what the characters hear, so when Baby only has one bud in, you only get the music out of one side (the same side as he's listening to, of course).

I'm sure there's more I missed in there. Wright stuffs his movies to the gills with little hints, references and funny little jokes, I'm gonna really enjoy what other people see in the movie that I completely missed. So go loving see it you losers. Make this movie the surprise hit of the summer so we can get more Edgar Wright action movies.

Aw that stereo sounds like a neat trick :(

Movie was drat good, well put together. Weird release day though

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 29, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loved it. Not my favorite of Wright's, but the time flew by.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

oh my god the use of hocus pocus by focus for the chase/shoot out was goddamn perfect

Anyway, it was a decent movie, not my favorite by Edgar Wright, but the cinematography and sound design was phenomenal.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This was fuckin killer, the best action movie since Fury Road and probably a while before that. I guess I kinda echo that it's not my favorite Wright movie but that isn't saying much since I adore every film he's made. Elgort surprised me with how much I liked his screen presence. I may have slightly hyped in my mind how much the music was going to sync to the action, I thought it was going to be nearly wall-to-wall but holy poo poo the sequences where it did were so phenomenal. Some genuinely emotional beats too. Overall this was extremely satisfying, go see it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the sound effect work for this movie was unreal. im surprised nobody had the bright idea to sync up gunfire to the soundtrack like wright did, since the result was bloody amazing

Kaboobi posted:

oh my god the use of hocus pocus by focus for the chase/shoot out was goddamn perfect

this was the peak of the movie by a long shot. i honestly wanted the movie to just drop the plot at the point and switch to a blues brothers style insane city-long chase, but i guess jon hamm wasn't having any of that :sigh:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Venuz Patrol posted:

the sound effect work for this movie was unreal. im surprised nobody had the bright idea to sync up gunfire to the soundtrack like wright did, since the result was bloody amazing

this was the peak of the movie by a long shot. i honestly wanted the movie to just drop the plot at the point and switch to a blues brothers style insane city-long chase, but i guess jon hamm wasn't having any of that :sigh:

I was super duper disappointed that we didn't get a full chase to Radar Love or Nowhere to Run. The commercials/trailers lied to me!!

edit: also someone tell me where I can learn to drive like Baby that poo poo all looks dope and Ansel Elgort said in some interview that he does it all the time now that he knows how.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This was a lot more downbeat (in the like, bummer sense) than I expected, really liked it though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Smh at Sony's insistence on sticking their handhelds in their movies though. Before I realized it was a Vita & not a psp I honestly wondered for a second if the nephew playing it was supposed to imply that the movie took place in the recent past.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
When I saw the Vita, I was just all, "Ha, mini Frank Underwood."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Anyone else think the security camera footage of the "privacy glasses" had a The World's End vibe?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Going to go see this tonight. I really excited about the buzz it has been getting.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hat Thoughts posted:

This was a lot more downbeat (in the like, bummer sense) than I expected, really liked it though.

Yeah, it was interesting to see how it starts off as kind of a fun typical Edgar Wright thing (mirroring how Baby is ignoring the cost of what he's doing), and then gradually starts to turn into a full-on 70's gritty car chase drama.

That being said, I felt a little bad for the family that brought all those 8 year old kids to my showing. Deeeeefinitely not a family film.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

That being said, I felt a little bad for the family that brought all those 8 year old kids to my showing. Deeeeefinitely not a family film.

I mean it's R rated, what the gently caress were they thinking?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Parents don't pay attention to stuff like that, obviously. You can ask the family who brought their 6 and 10 year old sons who sat next to me at an IMAX screening of Watchmen all about it. I mean, it's a superhero movie. Superhero movies are for kids! Likewise, this is a car chase movie about a guy named Baby, obviously it won't involve multiple homicides and a man getting violently impaled through the chest

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, reminds me of when some family brought a baby and a kid that couldn't have been older than 3 or 4 to see Deadpool. Not sure what the gently caress they were thinking, it's not as though the ads weren't upfront about what kind of movie it was gonna be.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I seriously can't get over how great the cinematography was in this movie. Wright and Bill Pope do such a good job of framing shots and filling up the frame, which is something many action directors don't do. The opening shot where the car rolls up and the wheel of the car takes up the entire frame instantly feels so different from other movies. Most other movies would be pulled back a bit in that shot to show more of the car.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Great movie. Also probably some kind of personal record for Fastest Turnaround on a Protagonist. Took me about thirty seconds to go from "I don't know about this kid" to "my DUDE" with regards to Baby.

It was smart for the marketing and trailers to only show Serious Baby and Lovebird Baby so that Fuckin NERD Baby could be a nice surprise. My favorite exchange from the whole movie paraphrased:

:whatup:"Why the gently caress you recording us?"
:clint: "Baby, you wanna explain yourself?"
:v: "...I record snippets of conversation and remix them into music."
:whatup: "...that's the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard."
:clint: "It's too stupid NOT to be true."

And then you get the intense waves of shame wafting off Kevin Spacey when they play the tapes, like "You are dead to me. I HAVE NO CRIME-SON."

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 29, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, it was interesting to see how it starts off as kind of a fun typical Edgar Wright thing (mirroring how Baby is ignoring the cost of what he's doing), and then gradually starts to turn into a full-on 70's gritty car chase drama.

Yeah, the controlled downward spiral of the narrative is probably my favorite thing about this movie. By the time it starts wrapping up its second act, nobody's laughing; things have gotten so hosed up and white-knuckle tense that they've forgotten how to breathe.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Seeing this in a couple hours. I've loved everything Wright has done outside of World's End, so I am very excited.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Going to see it tonight as well.

I have no idea who Wright is though, I just thought the movie looked cool.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

FWIW it's only rated 14A here in Canada.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

thexerox123 posted:

FWIW it's only rated 14A here in Canada.

It's really not that violent, Bats' death aside. And it's very chaste where even the most sexual relationship is Darling and Buddy making out like 17 year olds (I'm aware that more is implied but it's not much more than that).

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lots of swears for parents who care about that sort of thing and also Kevin Spacey's death is pretty gruesome.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't normally lavish waves of praise upon a movie but after having seen this about 18 hours ago, I have to say. The one thing I really took away from this movie is that it is nothing like anything Edgar Wright has directed previous. Yes, it has some of his tricks throughout, but if you went into it having zero idea he had directed the movie before, you absolutely couldn't say for certain that he directed this. Between Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim, and this, I have to say that Edgar Wright has absolutely established himself as a director with a wide range of ability. He absolutely earns bragging about the lack of any CGI throughout the movie, as well as taking Ansel Elgort, who has been in absolute loving poo poo of teen novel adaptations, and making him act his loving rear end off between Kevin Spacey, Jon Hamm, and Jamie Foxx - I really do think Edgar has paved the road for Ansel to have a long acting career for the next few decades. He was a phenomenal character that I don't think Michael Cera could have come close to. The use of music was constant and fantastic, and the way Baby Driver works with that gimmick is absolutely phenomenal. Baby Driver drips with style and is absolutely one of the top 5 movies of the year so far, and I strongly suspect it will be my Hell or High Water of 2017.

An absolutely phenomenal film that earns every bit of praise it gets. Really shocked at just how well Edgar Wright operates out of his element and I hope it gets him freedom to direct whatever the gently caress he wants the rest of his career.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

I don't normally lavish waves of praise upon a movie but after having seen this about 18 hours ago, I have to say. The one thing I really took away from this movie is that it is nothing like anything Edgar Wright has directed previous. Yes, it has some of his tricks throughout, but if you went into it having zero idea he had directed the movie before, you absolutely couldn't say for certain that he directed this. Between Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim, and this, I have to say that Edgar Wright has absolutely established himself as a director with a wide range of ability. He absolutely earns bragging about the lack of any CGI throughout the movie, as well as taking Ansel Elgort, who has been in absolute loving poo poo of teen novel adaptations, and making him act his loving rear end off between Kevin Spacey, Jon Hamm, and Jamie Foxx - I really do think Edgar has paved the road for Ansel to have a long acting career for the next few decades. He was a phenomenal character that I don't think Michael Cera could have come close to. The use of music was constant and fantastic, and the way Baby Driver works with that gimmick is absolutely phenomenal. Baby Driver drips with style and is absolutely one of the top 5 movies of the year so far, and I strongly suspect it will be my Hell or High Water of 2017.

An absolutely phenomenal film that earns every bit of praise it gets. Really shocked at just how well Edgar Wright operates out of his element and I hope it gets him freedom to direct whatever the gently caress he wants the rest of his career.

Yeah, it somehow manages to be as good as anything out of the Cornetto Trilogy, while at the same time somehow not really feeling anything like the Cornetto Trilogy, incredibly stylish directing aside. I was expecting a lot more Spaced-styled whip pans and transitions, but he tries something new with this, and it definitely feels like a director who has the confidence to not reside in his safe zone.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

Smh at Sony's insistence on sticking their handhelds in their movies though. Before I realized it was a Vita & not a psp I honestly wondered for a second if the nephew playing it was supposed to imply that the movie took place in the recent past.

Rip the Vita

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Taintrunner posted:

The one thing I really took away from this movie is that it is nothing like anything Edgar Wright has directed previous.

I disagree. It's definitely the film Edgar's been building up to, and one that a dude with 20 or so years of experience in the industry would be able to pull off. There's the trademark first scene, low-key characterisation scene that secretly reveals the plot of the film. With Shaun you saw the beginning of his experimenting with action scenes, which were very effectively elaborated with Hot Fuzz, and taken to a certain extreme with Scott Pilgrim. Same with the music, first brought into the forefront with Shaun's 'Don't Stop Me Now' climax, and elaborated with each additional film until it hit the absolute forefront with this film. And that's just background to Edgar's effective emotional moments, the distinct history that each character practically radiates, and the perfect way that the small elements and foreshadowing that are brought together in a thematically pitch perfect way that reveals the imperfection of humanity. Plus, I'm sure there's three dozen and a half different elements referencing films from the 70's, car chases, and crime movies that I will just never be able to catch until the Bluray comes out and I can listen to about a dozen commentaries with people of varying levels of involvement (plus probably Quentin Tarentino) in each of them.

Plus, almost no one else could do that jaw dropping Harlem Shuffle sequence.

The only thing he's left behind is the forefront of comedy, dropping it a background element like most Hollywood films, and setting it in a part of the British Commonwealth.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Really solid and good movie. I enjoyed it but it doesn't reach Godliness of Hot Fuzz.

I loved John Hamm and Jamie Foxx. Hamm in particular felt somewhat warm and likable even as a bad dude versus Foxx who was just out and out bad in nature. Deborah was just shot so beautifully and the actress was so genuine and spot on especially during the end when she's in front of the car after he gets out.

I want to see John Hamm as an action lead in movies. He was pretty awesome at the end.

I didn't connect with the music and such but whatever.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is Jon Bernthal being like fourth credited on stuff when he has roughly the same screentime as Flea just a straight-up fakeout? That was a pleasant surprise.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I liked that Baby was a bit of a doofus. It made the character for me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I disagree. It's definitely the film Edgar's been building up to, and one that a dude with 20 or so years of experience in the industry would be able to pull off. There's the trademark first scene, low-key characterisation scene that secretly reveals the plot of the film. With Shaun you saw the beginning of his experimenting with action scenes, which were very effectively elaborated with Hot Fuzz, and taken to a certain extreme with Scott Pilgrim. Same with the music, first brought into the forefront with Shaun's 'Don't Stop Me Now' climax, and elaborated with each additional film until it hit the absolute forefront with this film. And that's just background to Edgar's effective emotional moments, the distinct history that each character practically radiates, and the perfect way that the small elements and foreshadowing that are brought together in a thematically pitch perfect way that reveals the imperfection of humanity. Plus, I'm sure there's three dozen and a half different elements referencing films from the 70's, car chases, and crime movies that I will just never be able to catch until the Bluray comes out and I can listen to about a dozen commentaries with people of varying levels of involvement (plus probably Quentin Tarentino) in each of them.

Plus, almost no one else could do that jaw dropping Harlem Shuffle sequence.

The only thing he's left behind is the forefront of comedy, dropping it a background element like most Hollywood films, and setting it in a part of the British Commonwealth.

I agree with this statement. You can tell with the editing techniques, the cinematography, that this is a Wright film through and through. What makes it different is seeing all these techniques used in a non-comedy setting. And they thankfully still work, and work very, very well.

As for the film in general - I've never seen a film be so musical that wasn't a musical.

I did also like the historical anachronisms in Baby's flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Spergatory posted:

Great movie. Also probably some kind of personal record for Fastest Turnaround on a Protagonist. Took me about thirty seconds to go from "I don't know about this kid" to "my DUDE" with regards to Baby.
Definitely. I was really sold on him tapping his hands around the car. (And it's probably been brought up before, but Edgar Wright directed a music video kinda based on the same concept, of focusing on a getaway driver getting into the music during the robbery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfrcZsKcVxU)

I also found it quite funny that iPods were so heavily featured in a Sony movie. I'm an ex-Sony employee, and people there were quite bitter during the rise of iPods that Apple developed the most popular music player when it should have been Sony repeating their successes with the Walkman and the Discman.

• Locked thread