Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

There are a bunch of online companies that have a similar business model to tuft and needle (linked in another post) which gives you a free trial period for their foam mattress. It doesn't hurt to try a couple of them, but be aware that they typically require a different type of bed, and dont require a box spring. Others off the top of my head are ghost bed, casper and purple. Check their website for what kind of support frame you need for each, but they are all similar.

Buying an inner spring mattress is a hassle because manufacturers typically don't sell their models with consistent branding (it may be a gold or platinum line at one store, sapphire or diamond at a different store). Additionally, it is expected to haggle if you buy in person. While a frame designed for a foam mattress can work for an innerspring mattress, it is generally still recommended that you buy a box spring for a foundation.

I'm about to replace my current mattress and I've all but decided to replace my bed frame and try the online stores rather than deal with the hassle of buying in person. The no questions asked return policy is particularly nice, so I can try a couple of them and not be out any cash if they don't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ifuckedjesus posted:

It's all up to personal preference. I have a memory foam mattress, but if I could do it all over again would buy a latex one. My parents just switched from memory foam to a traditional spring mattress.
Even within the same material you can find beds ranging from hard to soft - that goes for memory foam / latex / and springs.

Memory foam retains heat so it sleeps kind of hot compared to the others. Latex "conforms" but doesn't retain the divot if you roll around. The blends are just what they sound like - obviously they are trying for the best of both worlds, but you could just as easily find them as the worst of both worlds.

Personally I'm not a fan of shredded memory foam or latex but they are probably the overall cheapest. Both memory foam and latex are going to feel weird having sex in if you've only ever had a spring mattress - it's more work because you don't get the spring back.

Hahahahaha I never even thought about this. Good to know!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I wish I knew someone with a Purple so I could try it out. It sounds awesome but drat, it's pricey compared to everything else.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Video Nasty posted:

They will mail you two sample octagons for free to get an impression of how it feels. They were what sold me on the product; as I could not believe how much weight they stood up to without losing form.

Gotta post on social media for that :o I don't really do Facebook or Instagram. Thanks for the heads up though, nice thought.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Purple is suing one of the mattress review blogs. Not a good look for them.

https://www.honestmattressreviews.com/purple-sues-honest-reviews/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

signalnoise posted:

My money on the powder on the purple mattresses is that it's a mold release agent that they don't bother to rinse off.

I thought they already acknowledged that it functions as lubricant for shipping. The question is, what the hell is it made of?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Why not just order the Ghostbed, if you decide you don't like it, return it and try one of the Nests?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

fknlo posted:

So, links to purple mattress on that site no longer go anywhere and there's a lovely banner stating:

So I guess purple won that one? I didn't click here to read more. Are people still liking their purple mattresses? I'm going to be shopping for a new mattress after I move out of state in a few weeks and am pretty interested in the purple.

Yep, looks like Purple won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Roumba posted:

Does anyone make box springs divided into 3 or more sections for a queen size mattress? My new apartment has an entrance and stairs designed by an idiot, nothing fits.

The only split ones I see for sale are all split down the center (two 30"x80"s) which would still not work unless I sawed the center of each of those apart and folded both of them myself, which I may just end up doing.

How on earth did you get any other furniture through there if half of a queen size box spring won't fit? Even with a hard u turn it seems like it would be possible. Sorry but now I'm more curious about the entrance than anything else.