Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've been reading the thread, and I think I need a purple mattress in my life. Can anyone comment on the original vs. the new versions? My wife and I are side/stomach sleepers, and I'm mostly looking for something that sleeps cooler and is more supportive than our current 12 year old not-pocket-coil mattress. Does the new purple really have that much going for it over the original that it justifies the much higher price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I actually went to a Mattress Firm today with my wife. They didn't have a Purple mattress on display, which was my main goal to see, but they did offer me some insight on their side of things. They told me that they actually see a ton of returns on the Purple, mostly because it apparently doesn't sleep as cool as people hope it will. They also showed me the Serta iComfort Blue Touch 1000, which was admittedly really comfortable. I'm not married to the idea of Purple, but I do sleep like a furnace, and so cooling is the prime need for me in a bed. I'm trying to remain as impartial to one bed over another as I can, especially as I'm not gonna be buying for at least the next few months. I dunno.

Synastren, what do you think? Just to recap, my wife's a side sleeper, I'm a side/stomach sleeper, she can sleep on whatever, and is always cold, I sleep like a furnace and need something to get the heat off my head and body at night. It really seems like I'm not gonna get to lay on a Purple without buying one, and I've heard some stories re: their return process taking a long while, and after today I'm just not sure anymore.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

legsarerequired posted:

Why do you say that? Is it because of the bloggers they were paying off (if I'm remembering the article posted earlier in the thread correctly)?

It's been a bit since I read that linked article, but IIRC, they have shady, predatory business practices where they were basically paying people off to write good reviews, and then when they didn't get a good review from a guy and couldn't buy him out, they basically sued him into oblivion and bought out his blog and turned it into the Casper Fanwank Blog. Regardless of how good their beds are, that's a loving lovely practice and I agree with Synastren that any company that's gonna blatantly do that can go die in a fire. To put it another way, I personally kind of equate it to pay-2-win style games with basically mandatory microtransactions and loot crates and poo poo. Shady loving business practice that shows they give no fucks about anything other than money.

Unless I completely read it wrong, which is entirely possible.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I only just remembered that while I'm definitely looking for a new mattress, I'm also looking for a new pillow as well. To recap from my last post, I'm a side/stomach sleeper who sleeps like a furness. My pillows have often been horrible, hot, wet, smelly messes after I wake up, and at this point, if I'm going to invest in a whole new mattress, i should also invest in a good pillow. Anyone have any good recommendations there? I tend to wrap one or both arms around the pillow where my head rests, so while i don't want a giant foam brick, i also don't want something that's so thin i could wear it like a bib.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanatosian posted:

Totally anecdotal, but I got a buckwheat pillow, and I found it to be long-term cooler than the active cooling pillows I got from Costco and Amazon. The active cooling ones would be cooler at first, but the buckwheat pillow doesn't warm up much from room temperature.

This is new info. Can anyone provide some more info, links to good buckwheat pillows, more anecdotes? I've been waking up literally 4 or 5 times a night, every night for the last month and a half having to toss and turn because my arms are under my pillows and are sweating and burning up. I was looking into active cooling pillows, but gave up on that avenue after anything decent was over $100. If buckwheat pillows can keep me from baking my arms every night and can be found decently cheap, then the hunt is back on.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

But how cool does it stay? My biggest issue is that my pillow gets hot as an oven while I sleep, to the point where my neck and head are sweating when I wake up, and my arms(under the pillow) are burning up. It's honestly the worst part about sleeping for me, and if I could find a way to reduce the heat, things would be a ton better.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What are the goon favorite pillows?

Folks have said the MyPillows are comfy but I don’t want to support a chud.

From what I understand the chud brand pillows are just chopped up memory foam bits. FWIW, I have a pillow that is exactly that that's branded as Certa that I got in a 2 pack on sale for bogo50 at Big Lots for $20.

I to am interested in pillow info. I need something that's sturdy enough to not go completely flat when I lay on it, but that also helps mitigate heat. Currently I achieve this with the before mentioned chud-pillow-knockoff as a base and another "cool touch" pillow from the same sale that's some kinda cooling fabric wrapped around the faintest hint of cotton candy as the top. It only kinda-almost works.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Do you guys have any recommendations for a mattress topper? The wife(5'7" 180lbs side sleeper) and I(5'10" 230lbs stomach sleeper) are looking to buy a whole new bed hopefully some time in the next couple of years, but until then, I'm basically completely over and done with the lovely 15 year old mattress I'm currently sleeping on. The drat thing is to the point where I wake up with lower back pain literally every morning, and when I lay down at night, I can feel various lumps and hard spots in the mattress poking me in my ribs and stomach and such. I'd like to get something to spread out over the top of the mattress to provide some more cushion and comfort, but I also sleep like a furnace, so something like straight up memory foam would likely be out in the summer unless it's got some sort of active cooling something-or-other going on with it. Any ideas on what to look at?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm no longer in the mattress market (thanks to this here thread), but when I'm looking at a thread like - a thread about an expensive line of products that I might know gently caress all about - the first thing I'm looking at is the date of the OP, and if it's more then a few years old, I kind of assume it's out of date. To that end, even if you end up copy-pasting all the information because it's still valid, just 're-dating' it would probably be worthwhile.

For me, I scroll to the bottom of the OP and look at the last edited date stamp. If that's relatively recent, then everything's good. Even if you just edit the OP to include updated pricing and a line at the top calling out the edit, then that should suffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, Synastren, I recall when you started the thread, that you wanted to be able to recommend Purple mattresses, but couldn't because you hadn't had enough experience with them yet. Has that changed in the recent years? What are your thoughts on them now, if you've gained more knowledge?