Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I have had a Tempur-Pedic mattress for about eight years (I believe it's a Cloud) and it seems like it's wearing out and starting to sink. The array of options for a potential replacement is baffling. I like the idea of a hybrid mattress, I think, but after reading that article about mattress marketing I feel like I can't trust anything I read about mattresses, nor can I trust what a salesperson in a store tells me. I'm a consistent side sleeper and I like a fairly soft bed, and I tend to overheat easily. I'd feel okay spending up to around $3000 if the quality was equal to the price. The Purple hybrid mattress (the 3" or maybe 4" version, I dunno) seem like they might suit my goals but the reviews on Amazon of Purple products are not good at all. Memory foam, latex, whatever the Purple material is, what should I be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Thank you for the detailed answer. The Tempur did a good job for a long time, I think. I guess I could look at a modern Tempur, too, if foam technology is still advancing.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Synastren, I must say that I appreciate your information, but for everyone looking at buying a mattress, gently caress Mattress Firm. I bought a very expensive Beautyrest hybrid from them, it felt good in the store, but when I actually sleep on it and the foam warms up, it becomes too soft and my hip sinks in and it hurts. Fair enough, these misjudgments happen and I wasn't upset over it. I've slept on it for a few nights and it's definitely not improving so I call them and ask them to return it.

They won't take it back until you've held it for 21 days, and on top of that they're going to charge me a huge "restocking fee." Now I'm upset.

I will never buy a mattress from anywhere except Costco again in my life.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Thank you, I'll send a PM. They call the mattress the Beautyrest Jennings, I'm not sure what other names it goes by.

The bed doesn't feel unusually hot, it actually feels pretty good in that aspect, it's just that the short period I spent laying on it in the store (fully dressed, of course) didn't let it warm up to accurately reflect how it would feel. I like a soft bed and I chose this one because it was soft, but I guess I misjudged just how soft it would end up being or something. If it was a $400 bed in a box I'd expect and tolerate some imperfections, but for a mattress that cost over $3000 I think it's reasonable to expect it to be basically perfect.

The break-in period caught me offguard because one of the selling points for this mattress that was explained to me was that it is preconditioned from the factory so there isn't a break-in period. I dunno, maybe that was more marketing nonsense; I did spend some time this morning mashing a 45lb kettlebell up and down over the spot where my hips lie so maybe that'll change things a bit.

They did tell me at the time of purchase that if I chose to return the mattress I would pay a pickup fee, equal to the delivery fee, which I don't have any problem with - sending two workers and a truck costs money and I don't expect that for free. They did not tell me about the 20%/$500 restocking fee (with the mattress I bought, it would hit the $500 limit).

I'm reacting kind of emotionally, the money in absolute terms isn't as big of an issue as the fact that I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I recently bought a Purple Hybrid 4 and it's awesome, best mattress I've ever had. However, I'm now thinking that I should probably replace my mattress platform, because I'm pretty sure it's sagging. It doesn't look like it's sagging when I examine the underside but I can feel a difference sleeping on one side of the bed (where I've routinely slept for the past several years) and the other, and additionally if I lay right in the middle (where there's a reinforcement bar) it feels much firmer. The platform I'm currently using is this one from Amazon, and by the specs it should be fine, but it probably has the usual trash Amazon level of quality and a few years of use has put it past its life span.

I really like the height (16"), the underbed storage, the simplicity, and the fact that the legs aren't right at the corners for me to stub my toes on. Another inch or two of height would be even better but 16" is fine, although I don't want to go shorter than that. I don't need it to be adjustable, I don't need a headboard, I don't need it to look nice because I use a bed skirt and can't see it anyway. I could get another one of the same type and just plan to throw it away after a couple of years but that's wasteful and I'd rather buy something solid enough to not have to replace.

Purple has their own mattress platform that's very similar to this one but it's only 14" and I'd rather not get something shorter than my current one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I've had mine just shy of three years, using it with a different mattress. Honestly, the reason I'm worried about it is the thought that it might damage my new mattress in some way. The Hybrid 4 is worth the price tag, especially if it lasts ten years or so, but I sure don't want to be replacing it any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
So two years ago I bought a Purple Hybrid 4 and it's great, it sleeps cooler than any mattress I've ever had. I like a soft mattress but if I were to do it again I'd probably get the 3 instead of the 4 because sometimes the 4 just feels too soft, it's extremely squishy. I hope it lasts me for a good many more years. If anyone is considering the Purple I give it a thumb's up.

I do want to buy a bed that isn't Amazon trash, though. I used a Zinus folding one for a while and it was alright, but I roll back and forth and the blanket has a tendency to migrate off the foot of the bed. I'd like something with a footboard higher than the mattress, doesn't need to be much higher, just a couple inches would keep my blanket in place. I'd like the platform to be at least 12-14 inches off the ground, to have some storage space underneath. If someone has a recommendation I'd appreciate it.