Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I also have to chime in and say that this was one of the most informative threads I've read on the forum.

I'm finally going to go replace my mattress next week, in the hope that it will help fix the lower back-pain I've been having on the side that I sleep on. Since the Drs couldn't find anything wrong I'm holding on to hope that this will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

Try putting a pillow under your knees--but go for the big brain move and put it under your mattress. Adding height under your knees (particularly if you're on your back) can reduce a surprising amount of pressure on your lower back.

It's one good reason why adjustable bases are great.

Good to know! My old mattress still has to go (one side has a me-sized dent and the other side is sagging as well) but that may help me in the short term.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Went to the local Mattress Firm today, and after being disappointed at seeing the Purple mattress well above Purple's website pricing, ultimately ended up going with a TEMPUR-Adapt 11 in. Medium Hybrid.

Ultimately I ended up liking the way it felt like it held me in place after it warmed up, as opposed to some of the ones that kind of sink into as soon as you laid down on them (like the Purple Premier 3).

I now await the mattress' delivery and Synastren's judgement.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

Adapt is solid. It's virtually the same mattress as the previous generation's most popular model (Cloud Supreme). While I think that the ProAdapt is a significant improvement, I don't think that there is a better foam product in the same price band as the Adapt.

Just please, please make sure you give it time before you decide if it's the right mattress for you or not! A normal break-in period is at least 30 days; for Tempur it's more like 45-60, because it is quite different from everything else.

PS: If you think your person at MF did well or poorly, shoot me a PM with their first name and what store it was, and I'll relay your feedback to their supervisor if you'd like. Feedback is always welcome!

Granted it's hard to make a totally in-depth assessment based on laying on the mattress for 5-10 minutes, but I couldn't tell enough difference between the ProAdapt (which was the one the saleperson originally guided me to) and the Adapt to justify the price increase. Most of the money I saved went to getting one of the cheaper adjustable frames instead of using my ancient basic metal frame and box spring, so it's a fair trade off.

And I can't even return this mattress until 30 days have passed, so I have to give it a fair trial whether I like it or not. It's still going to be better than my old falling to pieces mattress.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

This was the right choice over the ProAdapt.

Also, if you're nice but insistent, that 30 day trial is more of a suggestion and less of a hard and fast rule. If you're a dick, we'll see you in 30 days, though, every time.

Good to know! Is there also a way around the “no money back” clause if I end up returning it for a cheaper option? The salesperson said I could maybe sweetalk them into tossing in more pillows, but I don’t know that I need that many more.

Also I would have really liked to get the fancy adjustable frame that was displayed on the Adapt, but I couldn’t justify the cost when I’m mostly going to use it to sit up and read before bed. I couldn’t see myself really using the massage feature, but the USB ports were nice.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

Uh, there isn't a "no money back" clause, assuming they're not a franchise. There is a restock fee, and a return delivery fee, but if you're owed a refund you just get a refund. Also, since Tempur is a MAP product (i.e., manufacturer dictates pricing on products, including what promotions those products participate in), the salesperson could get in a lot of trouble by ignoring that. We've seen local businesses actually have Tempur pull their entire portfolio off of their floor for violating pricing guidelines, so that's a dangerous game to even suggest.

To be clear, what I was told was that if I didn't like a say $2000 mattress and exchanged it for an $1500 mattress under the comfort exchange policy, I would not be refunded the difference. It was said that I could possibly talk them into making up some of that difference via merchandise such as pillows, though.

I will note that this is not actually written on any of the paperwork, which does mention the 30% restock fee and return delivery fee if I decide to get a refund instead of an exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

That definitely sounds like a franchise thing, which is not surprising given the location you told me.

The general corporate policy is here: https://www.mattressfirm.com/en-us/stores/ak/anchorage/133003/

If it turns out to be a problem, it wouldn't hurt to ask why it's different than what's online. Franchises account for less than 5% of all of the Mattress Firm locations in the country, so it's certainly a valid question!

Yeah the local policy is far more restrictive; it doesn't apply at all if you don't buy a protector from them when you buy the mattress and you only have 60 days to return/exchange the mattress. Unfortunately they run all the Mattress Firms in this part of the state.