Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a BIFL-kind of mattress (I know that's not really a thing), but something that I'm going to not want to replace until I've sufficiently wrecked it some how. For the purpose of this discussion, assume money is not a concern.

Anecdotally, I've heard really good things about the Leesa Legend, and it's my current front runner. The reports I've heard are that it sleeps pretty cool, and medium-ish firmness, which both are something I enjoy. I'm having a very hard time though figuring out what parameters I should really be looking at, and it seems like mattresses generally do not provide 'specs' so much as they provide 'marketing material'.

This thread seems to generally have nice things to say about Purple as well, which seems like another front runner.

I'm wondering what Synastren / others in the thread have to say about the Leesa Legend. Is this a 'good' mattress? Is the real answer here to try it at a retailer? Is there some other mattress I should be looking at? An aside: I'm also looking for pillows that are S-tier.

Requirements:

- Mattress is of high quality
- Available in Twin XL or Full
- Sleeps between medium and medium-high firmness.
- Would be nice if it sleeps cool.
- I am going to want to keep this for two decades if I can help it.
- 6'3" and 170 lbs if that helps narrow things down.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks a lot for the response! This is such a great starting point to understand what's even out there. In a market that seems to be dominated by misinformation and paid-for reviews, you are a gift Synastren.

I should add that I really don't even know what I want. I've had the same mattress for over 15 years - since I started college in 2005 and have never really developed a 'taste' as it were for mattresses. I think the play here is for me to go to a showroom and try some out.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 3, 2021

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm finally getting around to replace my 15 year old bed. After trying out a lot of beds and reading this thread, I went with a Purple 4. I'll post a review when I get it and put some nights on it.

This thread is a secret treasure of SA. Navigating mattress sales is a nightmare and hearing some first-hand accounts from folks along with expert advice from Synastren and co has been so nice.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Review: Purple Mattress 4

Me: 6'3", 170Lbs, Side Sleeper primary - occasionally opting for the back

I also got the Tall Purple Harmony pillow.

The Mattress is really good. I've had great sleep on the week I've had it so far. It sleeps noticeably cooler than my previous bed (I don't have the 'mattress protector' though), and it has an adequate amount of squish and give, which is what I wanted out of the Purple 4 that I didn't think I'd get out the Purple 3. My choice at the end of the day was basically between a Temperpedic Breeze, and this. Both beds have no real box spring, so moving is slightly less complex and more or less rest on a metal platform. The Temperpedic has this really cool property where you slowly sink into the bed an extra inch over the night and it really 'hugs' you. The Purple does not do this and you will get a real good idea of what it will feel like by just laying on it for 2 minutes. Ultimately, if I slept on my back more, I think I would have went with the Temperpedic, but I'm on my side a lot, so Purple it is.

My big concerns with Purple are durability, although the construction seems like it'd hold for the long haul. Regardless, the warranty terms are basically worthless and if you are using that as a point for purchase, I would read those terms real carefully.

Overall, I'm really happy with it so far, but my perspective is a little weird since I'm going from a College Twin bed I bought when I was 19 on Clearance for $250 to this $4,000 Queen that I bought when I was 34. I suspect most mattresses in that price bracket will feel like a substantial upgrade. Did I get the most upgrade that I could? I will never know! To College Bed's credit, I got good mileage out of it I suppose. Thank you for your service, College Bed.

Another note about support: I had a rodeo of a time with Purple's support. The caveat here is that this was all invoked by me. I recently moved, auto-filled out the address form, and I filled out my old address. I *immediately* realized this, got in touch with support in just a few minutes after hitting 'Order', and asked to update the address. They said they did, and they didn't. I know this because when the freight order was created the next day, it was going to my old address. I contacted them again, and they said they fixed it, but they didn't. The mattress was eventually delivered to my old address that I had to then re-direct the day of. Ditto the sheets and pillows. I had to pay to ship the accessories to me, but I didn't have to pay to re-direct the mattress itself.

[++] Every time I contacted purple, I immediately talked to a human who seemed to have my chat history and used it meaningfully.
[--] Those humans seem to suck at their job, or something is incredibly hosed up with their logistics.

Also, when they say, 'free mattress removal', they mean 'mattress' not 'bed. They did in fact remove exactly my old mattress, but I had to pay someone else to come and get the box spring and the frame.

Anyway, I really do like the mattress so far. I *really* like the pillow though and recommend the Harmony Pillow for anyone who sleeps on their side. It is the real MVP of the show here.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 3, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

This is a lot of posts. I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for here.

When I went shopping for a mattress, I basically read this entire thread. This thread is a gold mine of information provided by Synastren (and others), along side personal anecdotes that are (probably) not a product of a review bot. I don't think it'd be a stretch to say that this thread is a premier source of mattress-related information on the Internet.

All that said, I'd just read the entire thread.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synastren posted:

I've considered doing a new thread, not sure if that'd be the way to go.

I'd love to get some feedback before deciding whether to do that or not.

I'm no longer in the mattress market (thanks to this here thread), but when I'm looking at a thread like - a thread about an expensive line of products that I might know gently caress all about - the first thing I'm looking at is the date of the OP, and if it's more then a few years old, I kind of assume it's out of date. To that end, even if you end up copy-pasting all the information because it's still valid, just 're-dating' it would probably be worthwhile.