Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’m desperately in need of a new mattress, the old one is maybe 10 or 15 years old and is kind of a lumpy shambles. It was a firm mattress with memory foam layer, pocket springs for partner isolation, pretty good for the first few years until the memory foam went flat.

My current problems with it are springs digging into my partner on his side; on my side, if I sleep on my back my lower back hurts from my butt sinking in too much (makes me think mattress is too soft) but if I lay on my side to ease my back, my arms/hands go numb (makes me think my mattress is too hard). We have rotated the mattress (top to tail not upsidedown) which helped a little bit but it is not a long term solution for a mattress this old.

I was thinking of getting a less firm mattress to try and ease some of the age related aches and pains but I am paranoid about back pain or being stuck on my side. My normal sleep patterns are to fall asleep on my side and wake up on my back. I do suspect something is wrong with my pillow which is causing neck problems which is causing numbness rather than it being the mattress but I can’t easily tell. I’ve had temporary improvements from changing my pillow but the hand numbness did come back. I’m 5 foot 4 so I’m wary of “one size fits all” zoned beds, I feel like my butt will for sure be in the wrong place if my head is in the right place and vice versa.

I can sleep on the floor and on an old hard foam couch so I’ve wondered about a full latex mattress but I’d rather have springs I think. My bed frame is metal with 11 2x4s holding the mattress, it’s very sturdy and I don’t think this needs to be replaced.

I’m not really looking for advice about brands since due to my location, I’ll probably be buying locally made, but just an overview of what kind of mattress construction or composition could be beneficial. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

All I can say is I switched away from a memory foam topped mattress and the new one sleeps a lot cooler than the old one. Memory foam always felt a bit suffocating to me!