Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

When my husband and I got married a couple years ago, we were hoping to get a king sized bed, so I put some king sized sheets on my wedding registry and I got all of them.

Now that we're purchased our first home, it looks like our bedroom can't comfortably fit a king size bed, so now I have all these sheets I won't be able to use.

I'm thinking we have enough room to go up to a queen and maybe I could try to sell the old sheets (never opened) and rebuy them in the right size.

I'd like to get an IKEA bed with drawers underneath and not have to worry about the box spring falling through the frame.

Pilsner posted:

Alright alright, here's what I call a box spring (or box mattress in my language):

The whole massive bottom part, including the wooden frame (hidden by fabric) and the two layers of springs is the box spring. The thinner part on top appears to be a latex topper ("top mattress").

You only need the box spring (with feet) and a topper for a good bed.

That looks like a Hästens bed, the most absurdly expensive beds in the world. A bed from them costs between $10,000 and $30,000, just crazy. Or maybe it's a Chinese copy since there are Chinese characters on your image. Anyway, the luxurious Hästens beds are split in two - a base (with a wooden frame, springs, wool, etc.), and a spring mattress (also with springs, horsehair, wool, etc.), that I guess compliment eachother and together, make up a gigantic load of springs, horse hair, foam, wool, and so on. Normal people here just buy the setup I pictured above.

In North America, our box springs are not very comfy. There are often hard wooden slats on the top, so another mattress is necessary. A box spring is a large, heavy wooden box with some springs in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Video Nasty posted:

Good news! We just got one that functions as its own box spring so that you can rest the mattress on top; I was told a few months ago that they hadn't reached the online catalog but they are available now.
Something from here, I can't pronounce most of them: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/25205/

I had been looking at the Brimnes ones for some time. I like the Brimnes headboard too, since we have a storage headboard on our current bed and use it to hold stuff.