Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I wish I knew someone with a Purple so I could try it out. It sounds awesome but drat, it's pricey compared to everything else.

We bought a Purple, are waiting for it to get delivered. I'll let you know what I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Imaduck posted:

Please do! I'm reading too many good things about them, which makes me highly skeptical.

Might be a while. They said it would take 4-5 weeks before it got delivered, I assume because everyone else had the same idea of spending their tax refund on a magic bed.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Purple update: three weeks in and no update on delivery. Do not order if you're in a hurry to lie down.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Purple mattress comin' Monday (or so they say). Should have initial thoughts by Tuesday.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The Purple mattress came yesterday!

The thing inflated immediately, which was cool (I thought they took many, many hours to get ready) and was heavier than I expected (110lbs, according to the website). At the end of the day, it's still just a mattress so setup was... well, setup is a generous way of describing my level of participation. I made sure it was in the right place, had no plastic covering on it, and let the mattress mattress.

It came with two sleep masks and two samples of the weird purply goop they use to make the top layer. My wife claimed the purple stuff almost immediately. So nothing in the way of bells and whistles, but I didn't expect any. I did like getting a sleep mask though!

Really neat design on the mattress & a weird new mattress smell coming off of it for a while- sort of like science and nail polish remover- that went away before bedtime.

The top layer is super strange; when you first lie down it's like thousands of jelly fingers are squirming around you, all finding the ideal spots to rest. One of the cats wouldn't walk on it for a while and the other one would, but he would make constant stops to do this little two step dance and/or place a paw on my body; I'm guessing for a cat the jelly finger sensation is like seeing R'lyeh. The middle foam layer is much more firm and holds weight nicely. I'm 6'5", 240 and barely sank in; even after a night's sleep there wasn't a man shaped indentation on the mattress when I got up, which I expected to see. The support is phenomenal; it made me feel weightless and like there was no stress on my joints or muscles. It also sleeps crazy cool, which I hear memory foam does not.

It generates almost zero noise when you move and vibrations from my wife moving were not transferred to my side of the bed. That may or may not matter to you. Partner noise and movement have never bothered me, so I basically see it as a novelty, but my wife loves it.

Sleep quality was nuts. I put on the sleep mask, loaded up the Rain Rain app on my sleep phones and immediately conked out, only waking up around six because one of the cats was punching me in the head, trying to get me to feed it. Every part of my body was loose and relaxed, save for my neck, because the pillows are the only holdover from the old spring mattress (we've already ordered replacements). I was in an extremely deep sleep all night, which is unusual; usually I'm constantly half waking up to adjust my position all night through, but with this thing I was sawing boards uninterrupted from 10pm-6am. It was the best night's sleep I've ever had that wasn't preceded by a day of hard labor and I woke up so well rested, you don't even know. My wife had much the same experience, except for some mild lower back pain, which I've read isn't uncommon at first.

VERDICT: This was the best use of a tax return we have ever made. Purple has my confidence; we already ordered the pillows and the sheets & will probably get the motorized bed platform asap (the no snore and zero g settings have my interest).

WARNING: Take this all with a grain of salt, because I've always had super cheap mattresses and we've put up with our current one since we started living together ten years ago, so my standards are nonexistant.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I get mine tomorrow, and I bought mine with a tax return too! I am psyched as gently caress because I already have the drat pillows and they're amazing.

I'm a couple days in and it's still the most amazing bed.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Unload My Head posted:

Purple mattress goons, how many of you are side sleepers?

I have wide shoulders which always dig into a coil mattress and drive me nuts, and working out has only made it worse. I sleep on my side and I'm seeing some mixed reviews of the Purple from people who also sleep on their side. Should I look elsewhere?

I sleep on my side sometimes and I haven't had a problem, but I just got it Monday, so maybe wait for someone who's had it longer to weigh in.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ok I can weigh in a little more on side sleeping on a Purple mattress. This weekend we were staying with relatives and the bed in their guest room seemed nice at first, but I was waking up all night to shift from my side to my back and woke up with lower back pain. Fast forward to side sleeping on my own mattress at home on Sunday and I was out like a light until morning, no soreness no shifting.

For perspective I'm 6'5", 240. Standard fuckoff huge cold weather Midwesterner of Northern European descent build.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Do these fancy mattresses like Casper and Purple also need to have their custom frames purchased? I've got a standard metal frame/box spring and I don't know if those are compatible with the mostly-foam mattresses.

Purple doesn't. We put it in our completely normal Ikea frame and it works fine.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Anyone using the Purple Mattress using a cover on it (either theirs, or your own)? I'm tempted to use my own (because theirs isn't bedbug-proof), but I'd hate for that to get in the way of the breathability.

We bought the cover too, waiting for it to show up.
--

And chiming in with the bedbug chat, they are definitely a concern. We had an epidemic here in Chicago, maybe five years ago. I avoided it, thankfully, but a lot of people- including the company I worked for at the time- got infested. Nasty old dirty city problems, I guess.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Do the purple or tuft and needle mattresses have any latex? I'm allergic as all hell and looking for a new mattress.

No latex in purple. It uses hyper elastic polymer on the top layer, which means whatever that means. The pillow is made of the same stuff and they claim it has no latex in it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Synastren posted:

That makes it sound as if they found an alternative way to get the same effects of really high end memory foam. That's very cool, and sounds promising. I would really be interested in hearing about the beds' longevity, as it's an entirely new material.

It's insanely good. I sleep completely still now and between the sheets and the materials of the mattress it sleeps ridiculously cool, so I don't wake up during the night. I'm currently a pretty big Purple fan.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Hell, I welcome death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Anyone have any longer-term opinions on their Purple or other synthetic mattresses?

Still love it, the pillows are great too. Also got their special sheets. Only downside of Purple stuff is it takes for loving ever to deliver. It's worth it though.

The mattress powder has caused a terrible wasting pox to fall upon my house, however. I'm the only one left alive, withered to naught but bone & leathery flesh, lying beside the corpse of my wife on our Purple mattress, possessing just enough strength to type product reviews online.