Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
How does the OnPurple compare with a buckwheat pillow (I have the Beans72, and am a pretty big fan)? For the OnPurple mattress, can you use a bedbug-proof cover on it (since the cover they sell is not bedbug-proof), or will that gently caress up the air flow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anyone using the Purple Mattress using a cover on it (either theirs, or your own)? I'm tempted to use my own (because theirs isn't bedbug-proof), but I'd hate for that to get in the way of the breathability.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Have you ever had a problem with bedbugs? I thought that they were rare outside of skeezy motels.

If you make that post in the Gooncave thread, you will essentially discover a Bedbug Survivor Support Group. We all have bedbug PTSD.

And at one point, they were rare, but these days they have been growing into a bigger and bigger problem; we suspect we got ours from an Amazon package. I was lucky enough that they never got into my bedroom (I suspect because I had a metal bed frame, and my roommate didn't), but I'd rather not have to go through the extensive inspection, cleaning, and bagging of all my worldly belongings (as well as paying for the heat treatment) that getting rid of them again involves. Cleanliness makes basically zero difference; once they get a foothold (and it only takes one bug), they're in, and there is no pesticide that is effective against them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any longer-term opinions on their Purple or other synthetic mattresses?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is amazing, and makes me never want to buy a mattress again.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm a side sleeper but also have a lot of chunked memory foam pillows for that reason

I have a memory foam pillow under a buckwheat pillow. It is the most comfortable situation I've ever had as a side sleeper.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm about to bite the bullet and do it, I'm leaning towards a Tuft & Needle mattress with a Zinus Quick Snap 18" platform. I'm a fat, mostly-side sometimes-back sleeper who likes a firm mattress and sleeps hot, and based on the reviews I've read (primarily Wirecutter), it seems like a good way to go. Are the people in this thread who bought them still pretty happy with them? And how is the breathability?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

After spending the entire loving weekend reading up on mattresses I decided to go with the Purple mattress (got the 3" layer on their new version). The grid system means better air circulation and significantly less heat retained... right?

It all seems very goofy and I'm not convinced it'll work out but I suppose that's what the trial period is for. At least now I should have something to sleep on when I move into my new place that won't be "the floor".
My fat, hot-sleeping rear end is definitely interested in how this goes for you.

P-Mack posted:

My wife ordered a purple but didn't like it very much. It's still basically a foam mattress and has the same "feels cool when you try it out for a few minutes but you feel like poo poo after a full night" thing a lot of them do. She put a soft topper on and it's fine now but there's not much point in having the special rubber poo poo if you're gonna do that. She's less than 120 lbs which apparently is not recommended.

My fat goon rear end meanwhile thought it was fine but not anything special.
You didn't find it any more breathable than a spring mattress before the topper?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

What makes Casper scummy? I've been half tempted to get one just because some of the podcasts I listen to seem to be enthusiastic about them even beyond the ad reads - and for the most part I don't think these guys are shills. (But nevertheless I'm still inclined to take it with a grain of salt / healthy skepticism)

Longest article on mattress sales ever pretty much. But it's some Shakespearean poo poo. Highly recommend.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Synastren posted:

Pillows are tricky beasts, best tried and coupled with your mattress, as the same pillow will feel a bit different on a different mattress. Unfortunately, that's not usually a possibility with online mattress purchases.

Short heuristics to finding the right pillow:
The thickness should be determined by how you most commonly sleep. Thickest for side sleepers, thinner for back sleepers, thinnest for stomach sleepers.

The goal of a pillow is to fill the space between your head and your mattress. You want to try to keep your spine roughly aligned, especially near the base of your neck. The most common neckache issues are due to a pillow that is either too tall or too short.

The squish of a pillow is the most subjective part. In general, I find that folks who gravitate towards softer beds like the feel of firmer pillows more, and vice versa.

If you're not spending at least $20 on a pillow, it will likely be garbage--imo $40 is a good starting point for a decent quality pillow.

ed: Almost forgot about the one thing folks don't usually consider with respect to pillow: weight. For example, I've heard nothing but good things about the Purple pillow... except that it weighs roughly 10 lbs. :v:

I have an 8-pound Beans pillow (stuffed with buckwheat husks) that I'm a big fan of. It is hella firm, and cost me about $80.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

With Purple/memory foam mattresses: Does something need to go under them? My IKEA pocketed spring mattress had a foundation (which I think is basically just a slatted base?) that it sits on - would it be a problem to re-use that for a memory foam mattress?

e: Apparently IKEA mattresses have a 25 year warranty, but both require you to have original receipt and don't cover "normal wear and tear" - whats even the point of it going past a few years then?

The Wirecutter has a good article about bed frames I would recommend.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

This one? I'm sort of interested in reasons why a frame/box spring/foundation is relevant. Like will it change how the mattress feels/works if I just use my existing IKEA foundation?

Yeah, they go into it in that article, and that there are very good reasons to make sure your bed frame has enough slats that are close enough together, especially if you're using a foam mattress.

Spikes32 posted:

So I was thinking of getting a purple mattress, and went to their website to find the new purple queen is $1100 ($2100) more than the old style queen ($1000). Did it really change that much? I read through the marketing, but know most of it is over inflated malarkey.
Goddamn. I wouldn't mind paying that much for a mattress if it really is that awesome.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 10, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stevie Lee posted:

I didn't think to check SA while doing my research, but I just ordered a Brooklyn Bedding Signature (full, medium) for $670-ish with their memorial day coupon. I spent about two weeks deciding between the Tuft and Needle and 100 others (including a local factory that I'm going to feel guilty about not buying from) before saying gently caress it and going with the Brooklyn. It seemed like the best value after I decided I didn't want something that was just straight foam. I feel like I know less about mattresses now than when I started researching them, though. If anyone is interested I can report back once it arrives and I've slept on it a bit.

On a related subject, are the Zinus SmartBase frames/platform beds any good? I'm looking at the 18" one, but I'm thinking I might be better off taking a drive to Ikea and picking up a cheap bed there

The Zinus SmartBase frames were the SweetHome recommended frames until they were discontinued.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Roumba posted:

Does anyone make box springs divided into 3 or more sections for a queen size mattress? My new apartment has an entrance and stairs designed by an idiot, nothing fits.

The only split ones I see for sale are all split down the center (two 30"x80"s) which would still not work unless I sawed the center of each of those apart and folded both of them myself, which I may just end up doing.

Have you considered just using a frame instead of a box spring?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Phraggah posted:

Coulda sworn this came up earlier but I can't find it now

Where are the softest sheets? Thread counts, cotton types, and no labels mentioning fiber length...oh my!

Wirecutter did a great article about this.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I generally prefer a firm mattress, do they usually have the firm later-generation Purples in the store, or is it usually just the softer ones?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used one of the Zinus 18" high bed frames? I live in a tiny-rear end apartment, and the extra storage space is really tempting, but the price being so cheap makes me paranoid.

https://www.zinus.com/collections/bed-frames-and-foundations/products/casey-steel-premium-18-smartbase-frame

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking over Wirecutter reviews, I'm leaning towards a Tempur-Pedic Adapt Medium-Hybrid with the aforementioned 18" Zinus frame; do I need to get a foundation with that? And if so, which one should I get? Tempur is offering $300 in free accessories with the purchase, so it wouldn't cost me anything. I'm guessing not the 9" (I feel like I'd need a ladder to get into my bed at that point).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I did some mattress testing, and surprisingly (to me, anyway) landed on the Purple 2 as having the best feel. There's no reason to order it from online instead of Mattress Firm, right? Salesman was really nice and helpful.

That, and an 18" Zinus frame, and I'mma be a very happy sleeper, hopefully.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oops, forgot I need new sheets after I ordered my Purple2. Any recommendations?

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sheets/

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

18 Character Limit posted:

Is this still current information about cooling pillows? I find I may want one and only just started looking into it.

Totally anecdotal, but I got a buckwheat pillow, and I found it to be long-term cooler than the active cooling pillows I got from Costco and Amazon. The active cooling ones would be cooler at first, but the buckwheat pillow doesn't warm up much from room temperature.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

This is new info. Can anyone provide some more info, links to good buckwheat pillows, more anecdotes? I've been waking up literally 4 or 5 times a night, every night for the last month and a half having to toss and turn because my arms are under my pillows and are sweating and burning up. I was looking into active cooling pillows, but gave up on that avenue after anything decent was over $100. If buckwheat pillows can keep me from baking my arms every night and can be found decently cheap, then the hunt is back on.
If you manage to get your arms under a buckwheat pillow and then sleep on it, you may have to have them amputated due to the lack of circulation. They weigh, like, ten pounds, and are firm as hell (like a beanbag chair, but with less give). I got mine from Beans72 (their website looks like something you made on Geocities when you were 11 years old, but you can get them from Amazon, too). They are expensive, though not quite $100.

I don't know that they're for everybody, but it was exactly what I was looking for. I hate hotels, now, because I put four pillows down and they all fold up on either side of my head.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm a side sleeper and bought a 2 and it feels great. The 3 was comically, insanely way too squishy for my taste. I didn't even bother trying the 4.

Not trying to be a dick and blow up your post, just wanted to provide my single anecdote.
Saaaaaaame.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey thread,

Perhaps my question is more appropriate for the back pain thread, but I cannot find it. I used to have back pain at night whenever I slept on my back. I have adjusted my home/office chairs (in addition to frequently changing sitting positions), tried a different home chair, made an effort to sit much less, without a noticeable change in my symptoms. The pain is fairly mild and disappears within 5 minutes of getting out of bed. Even while in bad, I only feel the pain when I inhale deeply.

I then made an effort of sleeping on my side. And while the back pain disappeared, I ended up with shoulder/neck pain. The neck pain lingers for much longer than the previous back pain, and it is frequently accompanied by mild vertigo.

I feel like this could be caused by a poor combination of mattress (Leesa, 4 years old now) and pillow (MALOUF Latex Zoned Pillow Low Loft, Firm).

Has anybody ever had similar symptoms? If so, how did you resolve it?

Side sleeper here, not a doctor, not a pain sufferer, but pillow-wise, I bought a buckwheat husk pillow (beans72), and I find it hella comfortable. It weighs about eight pounds, and is the consistency of a very, very firm beanbag. Definitely not for everyone, but I have trouble sleeping without it, now.

I was the type who previously would have like three pillows to try to get the elevation I was looking for, and this totally resolves that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone have pillow recommendations for a back/side sleeper? I'm mostly a back sleeper, but I've been finding myself wanting to turn to my side from time to time and thats where my current pillow feels a bit lacking in support? (Though, I think it might be -almost- lacking in support on my back as well since I noticed I put my hands under it a lot) What I have is just some thing from IKEA, and while it doesn't get too hot and gets the job done, I assume I could probably have something a bit nicer??

It's expensive and probably not for everyone, but I got one of these buckwheat pillows. I have trouble sleeping at hotels now because of it; it is super goddamn supportive, and there's nothing really like it. Doesn't get too hot, either (I sleep super loving hot). It's like a really firm beanbag.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 22, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I mean if it's that important, and you can swing it, maybe bring the pillow wherever you roam? I bring mine when I travel, but I don't travel for work frequently so I understand if you can't.
It weighs twelve loving pounds, otherwise I probably would.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Verviticus posted:

thats fair. i figure the doctor might tell me to buy a thing or use a thing to monitor my sleep to make sure this isnt happening. generally speaking though, ive always been fantastic at getting to sleep, never suffered from insomnia, obvious waking moments, etc. as a kid i used to set my alarm in a way that it would wake me up early a couple times before school because waking up and falling back asleep was so comfortable and easy that i got enjoyment out of it

I would have described my sleeping exactly the same (no problems falling asleep, don't wake up during the night, use the snooze alarm and am able to go right back to sleep, etc.). I have moderate-to-severe apnea.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Verviticus posted:

are you overweight/do you have any other obvious risk factors?

either way, id be interested in hearing how you figured it out, what your treatments were, did you resolve it? im not particularly looking forward to the idea of sleeping with a cpap

I am overweight, and I do snore.

The other things that tend to go along with apnea a lot of the time are bruxism (teeth grinding) and GERD (acid reflux), if your dentist has mentioned either of those to you.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

From what I understand the chud brand pillows are just chopped up memory foam bits. FWIW, I have a pillow that is exactly that that's branded as Certa that I got in a 2 pack on sale for bogo50 at Big Lots for $20.

I to am interested in pillow info. I need something that's sturdy enough to not go completely flat when I lay on it, but that also helps mitigate heat. Currently I achieve this with the before mentioned chud-pillow-knockoff as a base and another "cool touch" pillow from the same sale that's some kinda cooling fabric wrapped around the faintest hint of cotton candy as the top. It only kinda-almost works.

I've mentioned these before, and they're loving expensive, but I use a buckwheat husk pillow (I specifically use the Beans72, but there are a lot of them out there). They're very firm, but also very breathable; picture a beanbag with way less give. I previously got a memory foam pillow with some sort of "cool touch" gel before, and it was bullshit in comparison.

Downside is it has ruined me for other pillows. Hotels seem to have the softest, most non-supportive pillows ever. Transporting them isn't a great option, either; the queen-size one I have weighs 10 pounds.

Would not recommend for a stomach sleeper (I'm 75% side/25% back and it's loving perfect).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

Hot drat am I glad I found this thread, and that Synastren is posting in it.

I hadn't realized owning box springs was so ludicrously out of fashion, but thankfully the first 9 pages has set me straight. So when we get our new BIAB I guess we toss out the box springs and I buy a some 1x4 slats (like these), cut them to full bed width, plonk the new mattress down directly on the slats, and then we just get used to sleeping lower to the ground, right?

Gonna be really fun trying to get an old mattress to the city dump using a bicycle trailer. I'm pretty sure I can do it, but this is one of those one times every 7 years that I wish I had a truck.

I got a Purple through Mattress Firm, and they just hauled away the old one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Purple's breathability is probably their biggest-advertised difference from other mattresses, and I will say that it runs waaaayyy cooler than my previous bed (which was a traditional spring mattress).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I pretty much need new everything - bed, mattress, pillows, sheets... hell, new blankets would be nice too. Is there any sort of package or combo deal I should look for, or should I just plan on buying most/all of these components separately?

I got the Wirecutter-recommended LL Bean percale sheets and they're loving great, worth every penny. Hella cool at night.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

Do those pillowcases with those sheets (L.L. Bean 280-Thread-Count Pima Cotton Percale) come with the "flap" to hold in the pillow? That feature is most needed when using POOOOFY foam and few if at all sellers document it.

I have queen size pillows and a double size bed, so I don't use them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Someone on my Nextdoor is selling a "practically new Purple Mattress and frame Queen size" for $800. Originally over $3000 and it's a Purple 4 Hybrid Premier.

Do I ... 1) message her saying "where did you get it? Odds are good you can return it and get your money back", or 2) take the plunge and get this thing for myself?
The costs for removing bed bugs in money, time, and trauma are high. I don't think I would ever buy a used mattress if you're in an area they're known to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Are there any that are particularly good at not retaining heat? My gfs biggest complaint is that I am apparently a night furnace

Purple has that reputation, and I have found it to be true in my Purple, but it could also be a placebo.

You can test Purple mattresses at Mattress Firm.