Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Quick 9mo review of a Sealy we bought: Sealy Posturepedic Proback Firm King (I forget the exact model name, but it changes on a monthly basis it seems). Like a $1k :canada: with all the extras (box/frame). Higher end of the medium level mattresses from what I could tell (Synastren can probably give more details). Pocket coil with a thinner foam/latex layer than others.

I'm a side sleeper, that sleeps warm.

Old mattress was a softer one with a thicker foam/latex that you sink into. Started getting that morning aches due to lack of support, also very warm.

Initial impression: A bit more firm than I'm used to, but the body support was A1+. Didn't realize how good pocket coil is for reducing movement. Sleeps cooler since it's not enveloping me in foam. Solid 8 hours every night.

9mo: Foam layer isn't holding up IMHO as well as it should (compresses faster), but springs are fine (no sagging). Basically a thick mattress topper will solve this (kind of expected it, and that's why we got a firmer model - easy to add, hard to remove padding).

Sex: Way better than old mattress. Firmness is good. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Synastren posted:

We used to sell a Sealy cushion firm model that is very close to what you described. It was a very reliable mattress with no frills that we sold all the time and felt good about. Assuming you worked with someone, they should have put you on the plush model instead of the firm (unless you are willing to cash out ~$150 or more for a topper, it is almost certainly a lesser quality than the mattress's foam). The core support system in posturepedic models is kinda cool, but unless they've made significant changes in the last couple of years, it's basically a layer of foam in the weightlifting belt region. Higher dollar models will make changes to the coil unit in that region, but in the $1k and below region, it was often just more foam there.

Eh, my previous bed was more plush, and I'm a toasty sleeper, so less padding is better. And there's supposed to be a different coil density in the middle (http://www.sealycanada.com/en/proback-series.html).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

localized posted:

Does anyone know if a contour memory foam pillow the width of a queen mattress exists? I’ve been looking for years and the best I’ve found has been two long-ish contour pillows. They’ve helped a bit, but I still end up with my head wedged between them. Alternatively, does anyone have experience gluing memory foam together?

You can custom order foam in almost any shape/size. For example https://foamite.com in Canada.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Remeber that a king is the same as two doubles twin side by side. Lots of people will get two different mattresses (same height though). You do have the chasm/edge in between, but you both get what you want.

Edit: totally missed that there's a third person there.

unknown fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 16, 2023

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

You'll find that Sealy in Canada is different than USA (its higher end/quality), but yeah, sleep Country is the major place. There's no real price matching because every chain stocks slightly different versions of the same thing (that are not listed on manufacturers website).

Costco also has good deals fairly often, and their return policy is great (ie no questions asked)