Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Scudworth posted:

It's the same here you're just using different terms. What you've described is a mattress and a "topper" or "mattress top". Standard bedding.

A box spring in north american terms is a mostly useless hard wood frame with just enough stiff springs to hold a regular spring-based mattress up. Now that there are better structured frames for beds they are useless other than for additional height and I don't know who still buys them if anyone.

A topper here is a thin matress that goes over the mattress that goes on your box spring. So typically it goes bottom (slats/box) --> 24 cm+ mattress --> Topper 3-8 cm (optional).
I'd disagree everyone gets a box spring though, plenty of people still get sprungs slats. In my country (Netherlands) steel spiral bases are also still popular.

My main mattress complaint is that no cheap brand makes 210/220 cm mattresses. Ikea stops at just 200cm which is just silly for a adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Pilsner posted:

That's a bit of a strange construct I'd say. The box spring is a bed in itself, and about 24cm thick, so why put an extra 24cm mattress on top? You can just put the topper on top, and if you're low on cash, buy a cheap foam topper instead of a latex one. I also have a very thin (like 1cm) foam mattress on top of my topper, to protect it from stuff like blood or child pee.

I guess countries are just really different on this issue. :)

JYSK in NL has some mattresses in 210cm, tried looking at them?

https://jysk.nl/slaapkamer/matrassen#f_6=210

drat, Jysk would have been a good option. I wound up buying a mattress that costs 4-5x what they charge and i doubt it is 4x as good.
Most people don't use a topper, a topper is useful to bridge the gap between 2 individual mattresses or if the top layer of your old mattress is worn out or if you want MAXIMUM COMFORT (or maybe the sales guy at the mattress store figured he could squeeze you for a additional €500).
You use a mattress on top of a boxspring because a boxspring generally isn't meant to be slept on directly and typically uses bonnell springs instead of pocket springs like in a mattress.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Pilsner posted:

I just don't see why you would put a massive mattress on top of a box spring, instead of a thin topper? Is a 24cm mattress cheaper than a 5cm topper? Why combine two mattresses with each their set of springs? If you want to heighten the bed, put taller legs on it.

I think we are talking about the same thing but using different terminology. What i am talking about is the following setup:

Maybe you consider the 2nd layer (that i called a mattress) to be part of the box spring?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Waterbeds are great if you want to get into calculations on the maximum loading of your floor (which it usually exceeds). Even my concrete floors technically are only *just* strong enough for a waterbed.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Zochness posted:

I did some research on pillows for stomach sleepers since you definitely don't want your neck cranked at a ridiculous angle. I ended up getting a Pancake Pillow from Amazon. It's pricey, but it's been worth it so far. You can adjust the amount of cushion which is the whole appeal. I just use one of the inserts but two would probably work, especially if you fall asleep on your side.

http://tinyurl.com/lmn36bp

Why is there a rd.bizrate link before your amazon URL? A site known for spreading adware.