Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
A few years ago, I finally changed from the double bed that I've had for basically my entire life to a new bed, and I ended up getting a king because a queen is only a few inches wider than a double, and it didn't seem worth it for a couple inches wider.. (plus my boyfriend was 6'5").

Anyways, I had factored in what I thought was the cost of a mattress, but hadn't actually looked it up, and I was blown away by both the crazy amount of choice and the prices! I ended up buying a middle level foam mattress from IKEA and then their expensive 3-inch topper for it. I LOVE IT. I absolutely love it in every way possible.

The base mattress is really hard. The topper is really soft. This works for me, because the hard mattress keeps my back from hurting. I tend to sleep on my stomach, so a squishy mattress makes my back hurt. But the sqooshy topper makes all my pointy bits comfortable. I sleep like a dream. My boyfriend and all my girlfriends who have sat on it or jumped on it or whatever, think that it's all hard and terrible, but my BF actually always slept really well despite his complaints (and he didn't snore)

IKEA delivers, with the foam mattresses rolled up in a giant tube, and I just looked and they have a 365 day return policy. I'm not sure how that works exactly, as I didn't attempt to return mine, because I love it. In the end, I guess it's a very personal thing. But I'm sticking my vote in for trying out IKEA if you don't want to go gently caress around with horrible people at an actual store and haggle and stuff. EWWW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It is a bit on the firm side, but it is a comfortable kind of supportive firmness, like the seat of a nice office chair.
Supportive Firmness :lol: This is the absolute bestest way to sleep

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Pilsner posted:

Quality post.

I live in Europe, so perhaps "bed trends" are different here, but what most people buy are a box mattres / box-spring with a very thick "top mattress" (not sure what it's called in the USA) on top. This gives you the best of both worlds.

For the box mattress, basically the more springs the better. Here in metric Europe, we measure the amounts of springs in springs per square meter. A cheap box usually has about 100 / m2, a high quality one 300-500 / m2. The more (smaller) springs give you more comfort since the load is spread out more. Most people here put feet or prettier wooden supports below the box to raise it up above the floor - actual bed frames are pretty rare and old fashioned here; just unnecessary wasted space.

For the top mattress, it is generally agreed that latex is the best. It is expensive, but give you much more comfort, conforms to the body (but not like memory foam), and leads away body heat. I have a thick 8cm latex mattress that was approximately as expensive as the box spring, but worth it. Regular foam is nasty; I can feel it immediately how it doesn't lead away the body heat and I feel warm. Memory foam isn't my cup of tea, but it varies.

I bought my box+top at JYSK (is this a thing in the USA?), but IKEA also has great options.

I also recommend a box headboard that bolts onto the bed, which is aaaaaaaaaaaawesome. Watching TV in bed is ridiculously comfortable that way, instead of leaning against a concret or brick wall.

This is really interesting. I can't speak for all Americans, but we generally have full bed frames with the headboard included. This has been changing in the last 10-20 years to more of the European style, where you don't buy this huge bed frame first. But generally, it used to go Bed Frame, Box-spring, Spring Mattress. Adding up to a total of the space underneath the bed (I foot to 3 feet even) and then about 2 feet of box spring and mattress. Having a mattress directly on the floor is kind of frowned upon as cheap or well, sorta ghetto. But like I said, that is changing very quickly, and people are buying all kinds of new "beds". Flat platforms with no headboards are becoming available and people are switching to latex and foam beds instead of the horrible box springs and spring mattresses that you and your friends can't FRICKIN FIT around the corner and up the stairs. Other American experiences may vary, but I think that's a pretty good general description. Futon when you're young and broke, then you buy a "real" bed, which is the big frame with a headboard.

I don't know what JYSK is, maybe it's in other parts of the USA but I don't think so. It's so adorable that without a headboard you would have a concrete or brick wall. Mostly we have painted drywall walls (that's like thin plastery-woody stuff with paint on). lol. unless you have a really old home, a or cool urban loft. I honestly don't see more than 100 total Americans going "hmm maybe I should get a headboard so I don't have to lean against this brick wall". That would be a nice conundrum for most people I think :)

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I am still totally in love with my extremely hard, cheap, foam mattress and then very expensive squishy topper. But I sleep on my side to go to sleep and then on my stomach to sleep, which I have learned is pretty weird for a girl?

I was actually curious about pillows? I have never bought a pillow that was more than 10bux or something that just got handed down for generations, (with a new pillowcase).

Is a better pillow worth anything at all if you sleep on your side for a bit and then inevitably end up face down, with your neck cranked 90 degrees anyways? I don't like those huge unsquishable pillows because obviously that would hurt my neck, but it's almost as bad to have really tiny thin flat ones. Is there a more comfortable medium squish pillow?

One that doesn't ever get hot would be great though, because I always get hot when I sleep.

I have never understood how anyone sleeps on their back at all... I might as well be trying to sleep standing up; it's not restful to me, to the point that it boggles my mind how anyone enjoys it. (like I GET IT, everyone is different, but it's so incredibly un-sleepy to me, its still hard to GET-GET)

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Zochness posted:

I'm not sure, I linked that on mobile last night and probably managed to dick something up. Sorry about that.

I'm always scared of linking stuff on my cell, because I'm so sure that I'm going to cock it up somehow and SA will definitely let you know. HAH

So what can possibly be better about a pillow when you're sleeping on your face? I read an article once that said that us face sleepers will look at least 5 years older than our back-sleeping counterparts, It seems like a legit possibility, because I spend 7.5 (or however much you sleep) hours more per day, smooshing my face into a pillow than anyone who sleeps on their back.

I think this is bull, because I still look really young, but I don't know anyone else who sleeps nearly face-down all the time, so I can't come to a really researched conclusion. Apparently it's also super-bad for your boobs, by sheer volume of time spent smooshing them, but I don't know if you have boobs or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Leal posted:

Like I keep trying to sleep on my back but I swear, I can end up drop dead tired, on a night off so I'm staying up as late as possible and only sleeping cause I'm nodding off in the chair. Then I lay on my back, pop in my earplugs, close my eyes and....

And....

Then I flip over to my side and instantly clock out. My body just refuses to sleep when I'm on my back, if I ever go to surgery I'm gonna have to tell the anesthetist to keep me on my side otherwise I'm gonna wake up mid surgery.

This is me lol. I'm almost 40, and I could be on drugs or drunk as all hell, and if I lay on my back, I would just lay there until infinity - sleep is completely impossible. I lay on my side and I'm out like a light. I was actually in the hospital for a few days once and I had to figure out how to fix the stupid bed to go as flat as possible so that I wasn't all jacked up and bent in half on my stomach. The entire idea of sleeping on your back just boggles me to this day. I know I said it before in this thread. So sorry if I'm repeating, but I'm just glad there is another like me.

I have been looking everywhere for those TOTALLY AWESOME looking box pillows! I have never seen one and still can't find one. A pillow that comes about 1.5/2 inches high and is bolstered around the edges into a box ... Sign me up!!

I still can't say enough for us side and stomach sleepers that you should buy the cheapest acceptable very firm (probably foam) mattress of any type and save a thousand dollars on a king-size, and then spend all your money on the topper. My mattress is a reasonably close-to-the-worst-but-not-poo poo foam deal, and then I spent like $500 on a 3-inch topper, and I sleep like a baby, and I'm not the best sleeper and I have two dogs that do their best to wake me up at the worst times.

I've never heard about bed-bugs though lol. I'm not stuck-up or rich or any of that, but maybe it's regional??