Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Pilsner posted:

Quality post.

I live in Europe, so perhaps "bed trends" are different here, but what most people buy are a box mattres / box-spring with a very thick "top mattress" (not sure what it's called in the USA) on top. This gives you the best of both worlds.

It's the same here you're just using different terms. What you've described is a mattress and a "topper" or "mattress top". Standard bedding.

A box spring in north american terms is a mostly useless hard wood frame with just enough stiff springs to hold a regular spring-based mattress up. Now that there are better structured frames for beds they are useless other than for additional height and I don't know who still buys them if anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

NihilismNow posted:

I think we are talking about the same thing but using different terminology. What i am talking about is the following setup:
Maybe you consider the 2nd layer (that i called a mattress) to be part of the box spring?

It was established previously that when he says "box spring" it means the actual mattress, and "box spring" as in the useless hard bottom layer mattress isn't a thing there (and shouldn't be a thing anywhere because wtf are they even for).

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks thread for showing me the Purple mattress which I want so badly now but they don't ship outside the USA

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

Have you ever had a problem with bedbugs? I thought that they were rare outside of skeezy motels.

You wish. They are common enough in most major/large cities that planning ahead with bedbug mattress protectors has become ubiquitous for everyone I know. And it will only get worse.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Shooting Blanks posted:

Purple is suing one of the mattress review blogs. Not a good look for them.

https://www.honestmattressreviews.com/purple-sues-honest-reviews/

"As the son of a decorated deceased Vietnam Veteran," *emphasis his

gently caress this guy and his stock photos of the American flag and mouths with tape over them w/ FREEDOM written across it.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 27, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Look, his father didn't go lose a useless war to secure America's paranoia about the spread of the commie menace so that good hard working people could sleep on uncomfy mattresses or secret toxic powder beds okay. Freedom isn't free.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

DeathSandwich posted:

Has anyone used a Leesa long enough to sound off on it? I read a couple of articles that did direct comparisons between Leesa, Purple, Casper, and Ghostbed and the reviews made it seem like the Leesa was the softest sleeper and had a bit of bounce like a latex foam bed would have, but after I read that article linked upthread I'm basically trusting nothing on any review website.

You can return any of those if you don't like it right away.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

My question isn't so much which mattress I should get (like I can afford any of these) but size. I'm stuck with an inconvenient queen bed and I'm thinking of downsizing. Is twin xl too small for someone 5'7, 120 lbs?

I'm 5'8 and this will be fine for you, I find regular twin beds not bad either.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Um, do you not understand why having fiberglass shooting all over your room is a health concern? It's not as much about it being a potential carcinogen.

The point is that other fire retardant options are carcinogenic or so bad for you that fibreglass is actually one of the best options we have.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Facetious posted:

Tell me about full-size bed frames that don't require a box spring too.

Ikea

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Facetious posted:

Canadian ikea has lower review scores than amazon, if you can believe it.

That shouldn't be a factor for you because no one leaves reviews on Ikea's site compared to reviews being a huge part of Amazon's entire biz model. And you can go to Ikea and look at the things.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I meant that as another reason why the reviews are less significant than Amazon's faith-based on photos review system being more important, but I worded it poorly and apologize. "You" but not YOU you.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

tinytort posted:

Has anyone heard of the Canadian options that aren't Casper? Any negatives/positives worth mentioning?

I got a Douglas and I've had it for 8 months. My sister got an Endy and tried mine afterwards, said mine was firmer but barely noticeable difference. Both of us have no complaints. It's a mattress doing mattress things :shrug:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

bird with big dick posted:

Why doesn't this guy have a box spring?

Because they're useless

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Floofy posted:

Dang. I was going to ask why the higher end purple mattresses aren’t sold in Canada.

You can ask purple this directly, see what they say.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Synastren posted:

Fun fact from my previous life as a cognitive psychology PhD student

I've been meaning to ask about your mattress sales origin story and how these paths connected, as I've been reading this read for no explainable reason for 3+ years

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Pollyanna posted:

Warning to anybody with a Zinus mattress: they contain fiberglass. If it has a removable cover, or has a cut in it anywhere, you might be risking spewing fiberglass everywhere.

This came up in this thread exactly a year ago. Nearly to the day, which is weird.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Chili posted:

Anyone have a Saatva?

Saatva in this thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1606457831

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Chili posted:

Link was dead

Sorry, it was just the results page from using the shiny new "search in this thread" box, (praise be to Jeffery, Jeffery is good) I didn't know the links could die.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

wesleywillis posted:

Also, would you pick one of the three I listed over the other? What do you like best about whatever one you have?
I like being hugged when I sleep :3:

I have a Douglas. My sister got an Endy and tried mine afterwards, said mine was firmer but barely noticeable difference overall. I don't think you'll find much difference between these 3.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Leal posted:

Alright so hey, if you're a heavy set goon (over 250 pounds) do not get a purple.

Did you try stacking one on top of the other

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

As a side sleeper, the neck-supporting 'wave' style pillows changed my life.

Same, I have an almost impossible time side sleeping without a wave shape pillow.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

localized posted:

Does anyone know if a contour memory foam pillow the width of a queen mattress exists? I’ve been looking for years and the best I’ve found has been two long-ish contour pillows. They’ve helped a bit, but I still end up with my head wedged between them. Alternatively, does anyone have experience gluing memory foam together?

Do you roll from one side of the bed completely to the other every night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Green glove means they take your old mattress and donate or recycle it