Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Simmons Beautyrest/Beautysleep memory foam from $189: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/434673?c_id=4340&u_id=67424549&d=012120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I'm tempted by this, but I'd love any insight on it. I'm a side sleeper, 215lbs (and hopefully dropping), and I definitely don't like a stiff mattress. If I had hella cash I'd roll the dice on a Purple 4, but since I don't getting this for under $500 looks appealing.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 21, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Doesn't matter, likely not buying a Purple any time soon.

Anyone have thoughts on the Simmons models in that sale?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gracias!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

And now I just discovered this sale, what should I expect from Energex gel foam? https://www.tanga.com/deals/6cf7f87dad4d/dreamfoam-bedding-slumber-essentials-haven-8-cooling-gel-mattress

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For anyone in the market, JC Penney is having a Labor Day Weekend sale on mattresses: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/462223?c_id=5254&u_id=67424549&d=090420 - add code HOORAY3 for an extra 10% off

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Might wanna check that last sentence there

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Now you have to buy a bunkbed

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I can't find anything about the Simmons Beautyrest BRX-800 on The Firm's website. Know anything about it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Synastren posted:

MF doesn't sell that model; I didn't even know that the BRX 800 existed!

Beautyrest uses a standardized model designation.

BR, obviously for BeautyRest, but moreover it means it must have individually pocketed coils
X in this case means "hybrid." There is also an S designation for "silver," and if you see -C that means it utilizes microcoils.
The number, 800 in this case, is the coil density in a Queen. The levels are 800, 900, 1000, Black. If it is a collection name (e.g., PressureSmart, as you see at MF, or Harmony, as you'd see elsewhere), it's a 900 system; if it includes Lux (e.g., PressureSmart Lux), it is 1000. They will typically end with a feel level, if applicable.

The BRX 800, would then be an individually coiled mattress with an 800 coil density with memory foam as its comfort layer. It is in the entry level, and would therefore have the same kind of support as a BR800. Given the lack of firmness description, it would have to be a medium feel, as well.

Thanks for all this! There is a sale on this model with an attractive price, but no place to check it out in person. Figured I'd seek out some more info here.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Someone on my Nextdoor is selling a "practically new Purple Mattress and frame Queen size" for $800. Originally over $3000 and it's a Purple 4 Hybrid Premier.

Do I ... 1) message her saying "where did you get it? Odds are good you can return it and get your money back", or 2) take the plunge and get this thing for myself?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

As a side sleeper, the neck-supporting 'wave' style pillows changed my life.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If any of this was covered previously point me to it!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&userid=87117

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tiggum posted:

I want a new mattress but I have never bought a mattress before. How do I pick a good one and not get ripped off?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&userid=87117

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Basically you need to go to a mattress store, e.g. Mattress Firm or American Mattress, and talk to someone there. Hopefully they know a few things. The right mattress for you depends on several things like: are you a back/side/stomach sleeper, do you sleep hot, do you have any pain spots when you wake up (and if so, where), do you prefer your mattress to be firm or plush or somewhere in between? And other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

And if you're sharing this mattress, your partner's answers to the above.

Seriously, try reading/skimming the thread or at least Synastren's posts in it linked above. There are a lot of helpful pointers that you should consider.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Otis Reddit posted:

Yeah, see, you guys get it. The date posted, then the last-edited date.

Are Amazon Basics worth it? Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam? Help?

I used the Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam topper on my sunken pillowtop for four years, while it did soften an otherwise firm sleeping surface, the tradeoff was that it got hot and didn't breathe. I chucked it and replaced it with something much thinner, and as a bonus my fitted sheets don't pop off at the corners any more.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So, I'm about to move to Canada for 1 year and I'm going to be on an air mattress until I can buy a bed. Any insights into mattress shopping in Canada? There is a SleepCountry store a 4 minute walk from my apartment, so I think I'll go there and lie on some until I find the firmness/softness that I like.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, I got a suggestion of Helix mattresses, any thoughts?

Edit: Are they even available in Canada?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the fine print on Nectar's one year home trial?

Also, is Siena any good?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What's the fine print on Nectar's one year home trial?

Also, is Siena any good?

Just bumping this up. I still haven't made a purchase yet, but I'm planning to this week or next in whatever holiday sale is happening.

One of the mattress stores in Calgary, Mattress Mattress (what a name!) has something called Beducation, I believe it's going into a store and being shown how to pick out the right mattress for you. I'm thinking I'll do that, then once I have a mattress or two picked out I'll shop by price between them, Sleep Country, and The Bay. Maybe Costco if I re-up my membership (if it's still required?).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks for replying, and congrats on the big changes!

Today I went to Sleep Country and laid on a few mattresses. The four that I liked most are, in order of low cost to high ($ :canada: $):

$1499 - Simba 2500
$1699 - Casper Hybrid (yep, I re-read the article today and confirmed they have the same CEO)
$1699 - Sealy Posturepedic Plus Optimum Grand Gemma
$1849 - Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite Taryn

These are all queen size. Any thoughts or input on them?

The salesman mentioned that they were going to open another store 3 hours away, but it's not opening at the moment, so they had that location's display/floor models available for 30% off. Only one of each.

Tomorrow my cousin is driving me to Mattress Mattress, I'll do the Beducation thing and see what they have that I like.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well my cousin took me to Mattress Mattress on New Year's Eve, and I didn't love any of their products or their deals. Most of their inventory is a Canadian line called Kingsdown, the only one I liked was one of theirs called Cypruss Bay.

Also, their "Beducation" is a 5 minute demo of the various mattress materials. We did about half of it and then moved on to checking out mattresses:

Anyway, I went back to Sleep Country tonight and met up with the same sales rep. Revisited the same four I listed above, and in the end I felt the best about the Serta. Went with that plus a standard metal frame (I already have a headboard), plus a five inch boxspring/foundation. I think I made out okay, pricewise:

$1849 $1571 - Serta mattress
$159 - $127 - metal frame
$299 - $239 - 5" base
$99 - $49 - 10 year warranty
$59.99- Green Glove Delivery
$2045.99
+$102.30 - tax
$2148.29 in :canada:
~$1608 in :911:

I'm stoked! This is the first time buying myself a brand new bed :tootzzz:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My delivery is today, and they're going to assemble it too. Should I consider tipping them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's your budget?