Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey thread,

Perhaps my question is more appropriate for the back pain thread, but I cannot find it. I used to have back pain at night whenever I slept on my back. I have adjusted my home/office chairs (in addition to frequently changing sitting positions), tried a different home chair, made an effort to sit much less, without a noticeable change in my symptoms. The pain is fairly mild and disappears within 5 minutes of getting out of bed. Even while in bad, I only feel the pain when I inhale deeply.

I then made an effort of sleeping on my side. And while the back pain disappeared, I ended up with shoulder/neck pain. The neck pain lingers for much longer than the previous back pain, and it is frequently accompanied by mild vertigo.

I feel like this could be caused by a poor combination of mattress (Leesa, 4 years old now) and pillow (MALOUF Latex Zoned Pillow Low Loft, Firm).

Has anybody ever had similar symptoms? If so, how did you resolve it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks thread. I'll bring it up with a Doc during my next visit before doing anything. At the moment, things are improving, and do not impact me in a meaningful way, so i will stay the course.

Synastren posted:

...is it in the middle of your back, then?

Yes. It's hard to identify precisely because I am super sleepy when it happens, so I just shift to a new position and immediately fall asleep.

Synastren posted:

With regards to your neck issues, I'd heartily suggest you see a doctor. Any pain accompanied with a bad non-pain problem suggests something more significant than a mattress/pillow will solve. Vertigo is generally caused by one of three things: blood pressure sensitivity (e.g., common with folks who have diabetes who move too quickly in a particular way), ear problems (duh), or nerve issues. Now, I can't attest to how well your pillow fits your sleeping style and body, but Malouf makes quality products, so it isn't that you're using a poo poo pillow.

The vertigo is a recent thing, and it is entirely possible that it is caused by messing up my neck while doing a stretch the wrong way*. It has gotten much better over time (I stopped doing the stretch), but constant side sleeping definitely made it worse, so I stopped. Switching between back and side sleeping (fall asleep in one position, switch position whenever I wake up) does not cause any issues at the moment.

I used to have issues with a drop in blood pressure when making sudden moves (suddenly getting out of bed, immediately stopping a cardio exercise), but those issues have been resolved ever since I lost weight, started exercising religiously, and eating better, after I discussed it with my doc. M, 35, 160 lbs., I swim 5x a week, 2200 yards per swim (40 min).

*I was trying to do a stretch where I head tilt my head as much sideways as I can (as if I am trying to get my ear to touch my shoulder), but I messed it up and actively applied pressure with my hand to push my head such that my ear would actually touch my shoulder. After a few days of doing this, the neck pain with vertigo set in, so I stopped doing the stretch.

Synastren posted:

The symptoms you describe line up with some of the things I've experienced helping folks who have been in car crashes, or have suffered some sort of back injury, for what it's worth.

Definitely no car rashes. Maybe I occasionally sit like poo poo, but I rarely sit for more than 30 minutes as I either get up to drink something, go to the bathroom, or go to the lab (where I am on constantly my feet). I also noticed something that I can only describe as "nervous tension", but once I become aware of the tension, I can turn the muscles off. This too has gotten much better as I have aged.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Any mattress recommendations for a side sleeper? I currently have a 10-year-old Leesa that developed an indentation a while ago, so I am looking for a replacement.