Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I'm 5'10" and weigh 165 pounds. I sleep exclusively on my side.

I've been struggling to find a mattress that really works for me for nearly a decade now. I'll spend a decent amount on a bed (my most recent was $2000), but I never end up with something that actually feels right for me. And within three to four years I always start looking for a replacement.

Well, it's that time again. I've only had my current mattress for about three years, but I'm already getting to the point where I'm having serious issues.

My current mattress is a double sided pocket coil and latex hybrid. Something like 3" of latex + 0.5" of quilted wool on either side; unfortunately I no longer have access to exact specifics of its construction. I very much like the springy feel of latex on top of coils

My current mattress is very comfortable for falling asleep. The problem is that I almost always wake up from deep sleep after four or five hours, and then spend several hours tossing and turning between laying on my sides and laying on my stomach. I can't sleep well on my stomach, but it's the position my body ends up choosing during much of this half asleep tossing and turning. Since I'm half sleep when this happens, it's very hard to discern exactly why I can't stay in my preferred side sleeping position. I'm inclined to think that it's because I have insufficient support, but I'm not sure. I almost never experience bed related back pain, and I understand that's one of the big signs of insufficient mattress support, but maybe I don't have back pain because I toss and turn instead of sleeping through it?

Hotel beds are often too hard for me to sleep on comfortably, but I also never end up on my stomach while on a hotel bed. Instead I just end up switching from laying on one side to the other throughout the night. That being said, I recently spent a few nights in a Hyatt Place hotel room, and the bed there was quite comfortable. This bed felt something like four inches of very soft foam over fairly firm springs. The springs felt substantially firmer than the springs in my current mattress. This bed was soft enough for me to comfortably stay on my sides without frequent switching, but it also never got me rolling on to my stomach. The only real problem with the Hyatt Place bed is that it was extremely warm (I'm a very hot sleeper).

I'd really like my next mattress to actually be a good match long term, but that's hard to do when I can't even definitively determine what's wrong with my current mattress. Is my storytelling above enough for anyone to point me in the right direction? Spending even an hour laying on a showroom mattress seems useless when the support(?) issues I'm experiencing don't become a problem until hour four or five.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Horn of Arby's posted:

Very much the same. I'm in the process of moving and realized I can finally get a mattress that doesn't make me hurt. I'm a 160 ish lb side sleeper who usually ends up on my stomach sometime during the night. I have a Casper right now that is way too firm and either my lower back or hips hurt in the morning. I used to have an OG Purple that I don't remember sucking, but it was a few years ago now. What's out there in the ~$1000-1500 range for something softer?

I discovered that I had a major confounding situation with my mattress setup: my bed frame was totally hosed. This isn't surprising as I bought it over a decade ago, when I was a cash strapped student looking for the cheapest wood slat frame I could find.

I know I'll be upgrading from a full to a queen for my next mattress, so I bought a new high quality queen size frame in advance from KD Frames (excellent product, very happy with it so far). I built the new frame and put my current mattress on it, and suddenly everything became clear - my current mattress is too firm for me, but the problem with firmness became difficult to identify fuckiness due to the mattress being placed on a foundation that bowed beneath it.

Suffice it to say, I'm looking into plush mattresses now. Maybe I'll be able to find something that works long term now that I've accidentally identified and resolved the bed frame issue.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Turkson posted:

Were there recommendations for pillows for side/belly sleepers?

I'm exclusively a side sleeper, and the only kind of pillow I can use comfortably is a pillow that is mostly just a single solid chunk of some kind of foam. Down, polyester, shredded foam, or anything else that can shift around is terrible for me.

Hotel stays for me invariably involve a lot of fighting with down pillows that squish flat beneath the weight of my head, providing no support at all unless I stack and fold multiple pillows in just the right way.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

SpeedFreek posted:

Memory foam vs latex foam?

I've been using latex foam based mattresses for over a decade, so I'll weigh in.

As Synastren noted, latex foam is springy and bouncy. It pushes back against you. It feels very different from memory foam type products that tend to conform to your shape. Whether or not this is ideal comes down to individual preferences.

Latex foam sleeps *COOL*. It sleeps so much cooler than any kind of synthetic foam. This is one of the primary reasons I stick with latex foam. I've experimented with memory foam toppers a few times, and the difference in warmth is staggering. Memory foam is like an oven compared to latex.

High quality latex foam is composed mostly of natural tree rubber. It makes minimal use of chemicals and synthetic elements relative to memory foam. This matters a lot to some people, and very little to other people.

Latex foam has a very distinctive smell. It's a mildly sweet and creamy odor that feels distinctively natural to the nose. Some of this odor does dissipate time, but it never fully goes away. It's a far more pleasant smell than the very chemically odor that many memory foam products have during their initial off gassing. Personally I find the smell of latex foam to be reassuring, because you can be sure a product that smells like latex foam actually is latex foam.

Latex foam is extremely resilient. It will retain shape and support for longer than synthetic foams. This is a primary benefit of latex foam - if you can find a latex foam based mattress that works well for you, then it will probably last for a very long time (10+ years). Assuming it doesn't have any less resilient elements (e.g. other types of foam) that break down first, of course.

There are a few common construction styles for latex foam mattresses:

Hybrid Latex Foam + Innerspring
A several inch latex foam topper on top of a traditional innerspring core. This is usually what is meant by the phrase "hybrid latex mattress." This is what I would recommend for most people who are interested in latex. They give you the unique surface feel of latex foam while retaining the traditional bouncy feel that most people are used to from spring mattresses. You can get hybrids with swappable top layers that make for easy experimentation. This is the type of mattress I settled on after spending far too much time and money experimenting with the types described below.

Pure Latex Foam Mattress
A solid slab of latex foam. Typically this will be something like 6" of firm latex foam to provide the primary support, and then several inches of softer latex foam on top to provide the desired final level of comfort/firmness. These mattresses don't have springs, so they can feel very inert compared to innerspring beds. They are very expensive. There is simply no way to get around the fact that latex foam is a premium product, and getting an entire mattress made of the stuff is not cheap. Mattresses like this are also very heavy and extremely cumbersome to move. They handle in a very "floppy" manner because they have no rigid structural elements, unlike mattresses with innerspring cores.

Latex Foam + Polyfoam
A latex foam topper over a dense block of polyfoam. Similar to the pure latex foam mattress described above, except the primary support will be 6+ inches of dense polyfoam. This can feel very similar to a pure latex mattress because the surface elements you interact with most are the same. They are much cheaper because cheap polyfoam takes the place of much of the expensive latex foam. However, the polyfoam element is usually poo poo quality and will die quickly. A bed like this was my introduction to latex mattresses. It was very comfortable at first, but all that comfort broke down within a single year because the cheap polyfoam core of unknown quality deteriorated.

I haven't been inside a national mattress retailer in a decade, but from what I understand they typically don't carry many latex foam products. If you live in a large metro then there's a good chance you've got one or two specialty mattress stores in the area where you can try out a variety of latex foam products. Here's an example of two specialty mattress stores in the Seattle area that I have had good in person shopping experiences with:
https://thesleepstoreusa.com/
https://bedroomsandmore.com/

Latex mattresses are also popular as bed in a box options because they compress well and often feature simple construction. Online retailers of latex foam products that I have had good purchasing experiences with include:
https://sleeponlatex.com/
https://www.mattresses.net/
I was going to link Luma Mattresses for a good bed in a box hybrid latex mattress option, but they no longer seem to be in business. Unfortunate.

My recommendation to most people interested in latex foam mattress products is to first determine if your current mattress has solid structural and support elements. If so then great. If your mattress is sagging or otherwise dead, then replace it with anything new that you don't hate. Then experiment with latex foam toppers and accept the fact that every new experiment is $200 to $300 that you might be setting on fire. It's fine. Experimenting this way is still much cheaper and much easier than spending a ton of money on an entirely new mattress every three years because you want to go back to innersprings, or because you need a different firmness level, or whatever.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 12, 2024