Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/rajiinio/status/1708906617662472430

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Anybody have a source on why this was retracted?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The discussion here seems to think the author completely misread a slide presented at trial and used that as the jumping off point for a bunch of incorrect conclusions:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=37802116

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
This is a great article about the late great SF author Octavia Butler, all the messiness and difficulties of her life, just full of surprises:

https://www.vulture.com/article/octavia-e-butler-profile.html

This is a much shorter piece, a review of Michael Lewis's recent book on Sam Bankman-Fried, which dismantles the book and makes SBF look even worse:

https://airmail.news/issues/2023-10-7/the-journalist-and-the-fraudster

Behind a sign-up wall but there are ways to deal.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/4021/the-dark-side-of-buddhism

Great article about the dark side of Buddhism

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Holy poo poo. Pro-click right there, that's an amazing life-saving service.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

‘The Gospel’: how Israel uses AI to select bombing targets in Gaza

:tif:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Ghosts on the Glacier

quote:

HIGH ON ACONCAGUA, the Western Hemisphere’s highest mountain, the shrinking Polish Glacier spits out what it once devoured — in this case, a 50-year-old Nikomat 35-millimeter camera.

Two porters, preparing for an upcoming expedition, had been securing ropes in the thin and arid air of a clear February day. It was midsummer in South America. The camera glistened in the sun, daring to be noticed.

The lens was shattered. A dial on top showed that 24 photographs had been taken.

The bottom half of the camera was saddled into a worn leather holster with a thick strap. On the holster, in blue embossing tape, was an American name and a Colorado address.

In the snow-and-ice seasonal cycles of the mountains, abandoned and lost equipment is discovered each summer — tattered tents, dropped ice axes, lost mittens. Occasionally, a body.

This was not just another camera, though the porters did not know that yet. One of them carried it down to camp. There, a veteran guide named Ulises Corvalan was cooking lunch.

Corvalan glanced up. He casually asked about the name on the bottom of the camera.

“Janet Johnson,” came the reply.

Corvalan gasped and swore. “Janet Johnson!?” he shouted.

Excitement boiled instantly. Do you know about Janet Johnson, the schoolteacher? About John Cooper, the NASA engineer? About the deadly 1973 American expedition?

Have you heard the legend?

It had been handed down for decades, veering toward myth, whispered like a ghost story.

Here is what was certain: A woman from Denver, maybe the most accomplished climber in the group, had last been seen alive on the glacier. A man from Texas, part of the recent Apollo missions to the moon, lay frozen nearby.

There were contradictory statements from survivors and a hasty departure. There was a judge who demanded an investigation into possible foul play. There were three years of summit-scratching searches to find and retrieve the bodies.

Their discovery stirred more intrigue, leaving more questions than answers. That’s the imbalance of all the best mysteries — facts that don’t quite add up, gaps that imaginations rush to fill.

That is how Janet Johnson and John Cooper became part of the folklore of Aconcagua.

And now, nearly five decades later, an old camera had emerged from the receding glacier. It was wound, prepared to take the next picture.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Cool article, guess we’ll never know.

I have that exact camera, the Nikon Nikormat, I inherited from my father, and it’s a loving tank. If any camera could hold up to being frozen in a glacier for almost 50 years, it’s that one. Takes great pictures too, but you can’t get the poisonous mercury battery anymore that runs the light meter.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

JnnyThndrs posted:

Cool article, guess we’ll never know.

I like that at the start of the article I was like "ha ha another stupid conspiracy theory" and by the end I was like :stare:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
That escalated quickly :stare:

The unresolved mystery about what happened in those hours between the last photos and the deaths is going to lurk in my brain indefinitely.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

coolusername posted:

That escalated quickly :stare:

The unresolved mystery about what happened in those hours between the last photos and the deaths is going to lurk in my brain indefinitely.

Yeah. There's just something about deaths of climbers in the mountains that is so indefinably, tantalisingly horrible and interesting, especially as the photos taken hours before show such cheerful faces.

The article itself says "Norms shift at high altitude", and there is something very terrifying about that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah I was also going to dismiss it as yet another climbing accident but uh, the injury patterns.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/emilymbadger/status/1734218597210247328

Why Are So Many American Pedestrians Dying at Night?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Florida pedestrian hits are up 75%, compared to a popilation increase of 17%, and it's basically all people getting hit at night?

I am gonna blame old boomers losing their nightvision

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I live in Florida and I’ve witnessed multiple people blatantly walking into flowing traffic in the middle of the street not looking either way, while being less than a block away from a light and a crosswalk. I don’t understand it.

Like yes, we’re not pedestrian friendly and I would like more mass transit and pedestrian safety, but I’ve seen plenty of people with an apparent death wish ignoring every safety measure and just walking into a potential death trap. But I’ve only seen it happen at night.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cacafuego posted:

I live in Florida and I’ve witnessed multiple people blatantly walking into flowing traffic in the middle of the street not looking either way, while being less than a block away from a light and a crosswalk. I don’t understand it.

Like yes, we’re not pedestrian friendly and I would like more mass transit and pedestrian safety, but I’ve seen plenty of people with an apparent death wish ignoring every safety measure and just walking into a potential death trap. But I’ve only seen it happen at night.

I also blame the pedestrians for the increase in pedestrian deaths, thankfully with the increasing deaths it is a problem that will solve itself

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Found the reason :v:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Tunicate posted:

Florida pedestrian hits are up 75%, compared to a popilation increase of 17%, and it's basically all people getting hit at night?

I am gonna blame old boomers losing their nightvision

People looking at phones

People loving up their night vision by looking at a phone when walking around at night

?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah I was also going to dismiss it as yet another climbing accident but uh, the injury patterns.

Feel like there's a possibility high altitude hypoxia and hallucinations caused someone to kill those two, but who even knows if they realized it. Then the questions come and people think to themselves "I don't think that actually happened, I can't remember anything clearly, I'd never do that" etc

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

He spent his life building a $1 million stereo. The real cost was unfathomable

This one has some turns.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
What a colossal dickhead.

‘Die slow, motherfucker, die slow’.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He doesn't give the impression of someone who really, really loved audio. He seemed more like a nerd who was afraid of and incompetent at every aspect of life that wasn't part of his obsession. I would simply not be an emotionally immature egomaniac.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The Man in Room 117 - Andrey Shevelyov would rather live on the street than take antipsychotic medication. Should it be his decision to make? (archive link with no paywall)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Whole lot of child abuse has taken place in Tasmanian institutions.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/02/12/a-teens-fatal-plunge-into-the-london-underworld

A Teen’s Fatal Plunge Into the London Underworld

Fascinating long read about a London teenager’s apparent suicide and his involvement with the city’s seedy underworld.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

This was a difficult read, good lord. I can see no happy ending here for Andrey, and my overwhelming feeling is just one of deep sorrow for his mother and stepfather, whose lives have been consumed by his illness as much as his own has.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Podcasters Took Up Her Sister’s Murder Investigation. Then They Turned on Her.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/05/magazine/murder-podcast-debbie-williamson.html

quote:

“People think it’s a movie,” Moore said, once we all had coffee and pastries and had found a table inside. “I don’t think people think logically when they get into those groups. They think the absolute worst.”

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

nonathlon posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/05/magazine/murder-podcast-debbie-williamson.html

Non-paywalled: https://archive.is/NRmIi

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I wanted to be a teacher but they made me a cop

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

lol a buddy taught at a community college for a few years & would often relate how students felt the need to over explain toilet trouble absences, glad to see it’s a well known phenomenon in academia.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I feel like the person who wrote the article forgot that a lot of jobs need actual rigid standards or there can be serious consequences. For example, you wouldn't want an architect who only had a more abstract evaluation of their skills. There is a lot of fundamental knowledge they need to know. A gap in their knowledge could be deadly. I know the writer argues that its not their job to evaluate a person's skills, but its unfair to a student to spend lots of time and money on education only to find out at the end they don't have all the skills needed for their job. There is also the argument that universities should be about education not about getting a job, but unless you are a rich trust fund baby who will never have to work in their life, that's an unrealistic expectation. Granted something like humanities would probably be able to get away with a more abstract grade.

Not that evaluations are perfect or anything. People will still slip through the cracks, but at least its something.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Maybe in business school the time you spend in the classroom is sufficient to learn the material, but in real classes you need to spend 3x the time inside of the class on learning and applying the class knowledge. You need some way to carrot or stick students to spend time outside of class learning the material, which will then build on the next classes material, which will build on the next classes material, etc much much faster than standardized tests can measure.

Grading sucks and dealing with angle-shooting students sucks but if you don't have a grading system in place those angle-shooting students will just not learn as much as they need and be lost in future classes or lost at whatever test or job years later actually required them to learn it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I feel like the person who wrote the article forgot that a lot of jobs need actual rigid standards or there can be serious consequences. For example, you wouldn't want an architect who only had a more abstract evaluation of their skills. There is a lot of fundamental knowledge they need to know. A gap in their knowledge could be deadly. I know the writer argues that its not their job to evaluate a person's skills, but its unfair to a student to spend lots of time and money on education only to find out at the end they don't have all the skills needed for their job. There is also the argument that universities should be about education not about getting a job, but unless you are a rich trust fund baby who will never have to work in their life, that's an unrealistic expectation. Granted something like humanities would probably be able to get away with a more abstract grade.

Not that evaluations are perfect or anything. People will still slip through the cracks, but at least its something.
From other blogposts, seems to be a psych teacher who believes that basically all psych research is useless

So yeah if you don't think the stuff you do in academia matters why should you care whether or not your students actually learn anything.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

nonathlon posted:

That podcast duo seem like real pieces of poo poo

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

You know, I really enjoy my murder podcasts but most of the people that try to participate in the hunting of the criminals just suck. They're like 95% nutty, bored conspiracy theorists and they latch on to the craziest poo poo. Like there's a reason they don't have jobs that take actual investigating.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Scathach posted:

You know, I really enjoy my murder podcasts but most of the people that try to participate in the hunting of the criminals just suck. They're like 95% nutty, bored conspiracy theorists and they latch on to the craziest poo poo. Like there's a reason they don't have jobs that take actual investigating.

In this case it seems the podcasters were egging their audience on, actively disparaging the family to their fans in retaliation for the family members not cooperating with them enough, and taking credit for unrelated breakthroughs in cases. This is how they treated the sister of another murder victim.

quote:

They have continued to criticize Moore as well: for her appearance on a “Dateline” episode about Gould more recently and, during Miller’s sentencing, for not putting flowers on her sister’s grave — as Bucholtz and Jared did that day. The reason she didn’t, Moore told us that morning, was because she had taken her younger sister, Danielle, to the hearing, and Danielle was on her fourth round of chemotherapy at the time and needed to go home and rest. Danielle died this year.

The murder victim in question is the one who's case they claim credit for solving. The way they've inserted themselves into her story at the expense of her surviving family is skin crawling.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Feb 17, 2024

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I don’t know how he made it through the entire article with only one dead grandma reference; when my wife taught and I TA’d we called the first major assignment due date “dead grandmother season” because wow it happen consistently.

Then we weren’t at that stage of our lives anymore, so we stopped celebrating dead grandmother season.

But there happens to be a herpetologist phd with exactly my name, and I got emails for him from time-to-time. I knew he picked up a job as an adjunct when I once again started getting the traditional October dead grandma season emails. Because of course the worst students just sent emails to <ourname>@gmail.com talking about their beloved dead grandma and how they will be late with the assignment they had a month to do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Remulak posted:

I don’t know how he made it through the entire article with only one dead grandma reference; when my wife taught and I TA’d we called the first major assignment due date “dead grandmother season” because wow it happen consistently.

Then we weren’t at that stage of our lives anymore, so we stopped celebrating dead grandmother season.

But there happens to be a herpetologist phd with exactly my name, and I got emails for him from time-to-time. I knew he picked up a job as an adjunct when I once again started getting the traditional October dead grandma season emails. Because of course the worst students just sent emails to <ourname>@gmail.com talking about their beloved dead grandma and how they will be late with the assignment they had a month to do.

I had the best excuse ever for one of these. Professor was like “NO LATE SUBMISSIONS ARE ACCEPTED WITHOUT OBITUARY OR DOCTOR’S NOTE NO EXCEPTIONS” in the syllabus and I got to send an email going “hi I believe I have an exception. The date I’m supposed to present for our class, I have been called to testify at a committee for our federal government. I am legally required to attend by our parliament and there is no one who can substitute for me.”

I don’t know if it was just a completely new one to the prof or if the nature of it stunned her but I got back “yep sure one week later for the assignment?” Didn’t even need to submit proof (not that it would have been hard, I had my official request to testify and poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
https://aeon.co/essays/the-strange-and-turbulent-global-world-of-ant-geopolitics

It’s about invasive, global, unicolonial fire ants. It’s also about how misleading the language and metaphors we use to describe their world is.