Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Problem description: Something was filling my hard drive and literally making it so I had no space, I don't think it was a virus as MSE never picked up on anything, so I decided it was time to reformat and reinstall Windows 7. ( I'd be curious to know if anyone had a good idea on what would be constantly eating up hard drive space to know what to look for in the future, but that's not why I'm here. ) After reinstalling Win7 on the fresh formatted drive, when accessing another SSD just used primarily for media, which was not touched at all during the reinstall/reformat by myself, it said I had to grant myself permission to use it. I thought this was kind of weird, as my 3rd connected hard drive didn't do this.

Trying to play a video from the SSD, Samsung SSD 850 which worked perfectly prior to the reinstall, I was getting an error from VLC saying: "File reading failed:
VLC could not read the file (Bad file descriptor)." At first I thought this was an issue with VLC until I realized there were other issues. Music files also weren't working and if I tried to move a file from that SSD to another drive I got the error: 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Attempted fixes: First I googled the VLC error and saw a lot of comments about permission errors and whatnot, which made sense to me since I originally got that weird message saying I had to grant myself usage. It indeed appeared the relationships looked wonky, but I tried suggested fixes like adding "Everyone" and making sure it was shared correctly with the right permissions but that didn't seem to help.

Next I googled the 0x8007045D error, which seems to imply I have a busted SSD... ( How the flying gently caress could that happen when I didn't touch the drive during the reinstall???) They all suggest running chkdsk, which I did. I guess I should have taken pictures of the screens as I'm not sure what did or didn't happen, I do remember it saying there was an issue with an MP3 file. After that finished it didn't fix anything. The next recommendation was to shrink by a few mb in Disk Management, but it won't let me because it says the volume might be corrupted and to run chkdsk which I previously just did...

Recent changes: Yes, I reinstalled Windows 7 on a different drive. I did have to update my USB drivers and whatnot, but I used the newest drivers for my motherboard which is a Asus P8Z77-V LX.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64b

System specs:
Home built several years ago.
Intel Core i5-3570k CPU 3.40GHz
16gb RAM
HD Radeon 7850 GPU
Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard
Hard Drive #1: M4-CT128M4SSD2 ATA Device, 120gb total and has my Win7 on it.
Hard Drive #2: Samsung SSD 850 Evo 250gb, the one currently not working correctly
Hard Drive #3: Seagate 1tb USB, currently no issues

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, I attempted the fixes I found on google and still having issues.

Is my Samsung 850 SSD actually broken? If not is there a fix? Will reformatting it fix it?

I would like to avoid reformatting if possible... This would be the second time in a year I would lose my entire music collection. It won't allow me to move any files from the drive though. If there is a way to move my music collection, I will gladly just reformat it if that will fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Try using a different SATA port for the problem SSD and, if you have one, a different SATA cable.

Which folder(s)/files(s) did you add the Everyone group to? Did you remove any users/groups when changing permissions?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

Try using a different SATA port for the problem SSD and, if you have one, a different SATA cable.

Which folder(s)/files(s) did you add the Everyone group to? Did you remove any users/groups when changing permissions?

I didn't remove any users/groups, I added Everyone to all folders on that drive and nowhere else. I did go crazy and just granted everything I saw permissions trying to get it to work. There were a few "unknown" users that looked kind of weird. Here's what it looks like.

It will be a couple of days before I can try the different SATA port. Right now it's connected on top of my tower, I'll have to order a cord to try a different spot.

Thanks for checking my problem out.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The Account Unknown user would be you from the previous Windows 7 install. Since you reinstalled Windows 7, you erased your old user and created a new one. The permission/security settings are on the drive itself, which is why the old user wasn't removed.

Are you able to create files on the drive? Try making a .txt file in the root of the drive (E:\).

Check permissions of the root of the drive in My Computer. Right-click the drive and select Properties > Security tab > Advanced. Who is the owner? Is your user or "Everyone" in the permission table? What permissions do they have?

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 14, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

Are you able to create files on the drive? Try making a .txt file in the root of the drive (E:\).

Yea I can make new files, tried it with a txt file and a bitmap file. Could edit/save them just fine. Could even move them back and forth between drives without issue, unlike the other files on the drive.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Check permissions of the root of the drive in My Computer. Right-click the drive and select Properties > Security tab > Advanced. Who is the owner? Is your user or "Everyone" in the permission table? What permissions do they have?

Everyone wasn't there. It has all of the users besides the unknowns and Everyone. When I added Everyone will full permissions I got a few errors.

An error occured while applying security information to:

E:\$RECYCLE.BIN
E:\pagefile.sys
E:\System Volume Information

Access is denied.

Was still unable to move or use original files after adding Everyone to that spot.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 14, 2017

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

katkillad2 posted:

( I'd be curious to know if anyone had a good idea on what would be constantly eating up hard drive space to know what to look for in the future, but that's not why I'm here. )

You can use something like WinDirStat or TreeSize to give you an idea of where all your data is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Gromit posted:

You can use something like WinDirStat or TreeSize to give you an idea of where all your data is going.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Actuarial Fables posted:

This fixed it, thanks friend.

• Locked thread