Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I did Kili in March 2011, and I'd reinforce the 7-day recommendation (we did Machame 7-day as well). The third day where you climb up to the Lava Tower and back down is pretty tough, so having two essentially half-days after that makes it a hell of a lot easier. We used diamox as well, the other couple in our group didn't and turned back at the crater rim. Bring as much of your own gear as you can, since the stuff available for rent is usually old and not in great condition. The only thing I rented was a big heavy ski jacket.

Yes, Ngorongoro Crater is right near the Serengeti, if you're going with a company based in Moshi or Arusha then you'll go straight past it. Definitely do both, the Crater is an absolute highlight. You definitely get safari fatigue though unless you're super into wildlife photography or something, by day 3 it's definitely "wake me up when it's not zebras or wildebeest". And yeah, do the camping if you can.

We went with a local company called Zara Tours and they were pretty great, I'd recommend them unless they've gone downhill in the past 5-6 years. They basically take care of everything once you get off the plane at Kilimanjaro airport.

One thing to consider - instead of Cape Town, how about Zanzibar? You can get cheap-ish flights there from Kilimanjaro, and although Stone Town is a bit touristy, there's a good party town up in the north (I forget the name), and the eastern coast is really beautiful and chilled out. We stayed in Jambiani for 4 days after our climb and safari and it was an awesome way to relax. It's pretty rustic out there though, so if you can't bear intermittent wifi and electricity it may not be the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread