Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Admiral101 posted:

You'd be staying in Arusha right? I did my safari before the climb, but I can't imagine there being much of a difference. Arusha's elevation is only like 5k so there's not much acclimatizing that will be going on. I went in June as opposed to December, but my understanding is that snow on Kilimanjaro is rare anymore. Even on the summit, the snowline has been slowly receding over the past decade. I doubt you'll have issues with snow camping.

By snow camping, he meant where he lives, i.e. that he won't be getting especially into camping shape immediately before heading to Kilimanjaro.

Personally I think going on the safari before would help you a lot for acclimatization. Your camp the night before Ngorongoro (on the crater rim) will be at like 2100 meters. The Serengeti camps will also likely be around 1000-1200 meters (e.g. Mto wa Mbu is a town which is a common camp stop, situated at 1200 meters). 4-5 days of that will definitely help you not get headaches on the first couple days of the hike. It's not going to help you at 6000 meters, but it'll at least help you sleep the previous nights if you're not gasping for breath at your camp at 4000 meters. I didn't do Kilimanjaro, but personal experience between going to 4k meters and not being acclimated, vs. going from 2000 meters for a few days then 4k meters, made a massive difference. I don't do well at altitude, and feel bad sleeping even at 2k meters if I'm coming from near sea level. Sea level to 4k meters is hell without diamox, and still lovely with diamox. Or pee-y with diamox, to be more precise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread