Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
After a long, drawn out remodel of my bedroom (posted in the projects thread a while back), I knew my bathroom was coming next. I spent some time putting together a rough design in Sketchup and got to work. I still have a few months to go before I finish, but i'll post updates as they come. A lot of things are still being decided as I go and I have a very time consuming full time job that I also have to attend to, but I hope to make some stable progress each week. Fortunately, It's been planned out in such a way that I will still be able to fully use my bathroom during construction and I have no wife to nag me about finishing.

Here are some before pics (Here's where you think to yourself, there's nothing wrong with it. Why would you remodel it?)

Here's the rough sketchup design of what the completed bathroom will resemble.

And here's the fun in progress pics. Keep in mind, for the most part i'm doing all of it myself, with the help of a friend here and there, with the exception of tile installation and the shower pan install.

First step was to tear out the right side vanity. I tried to give the vanity away to someone on Craigslist, but that created a nightmare of a process that resulted in my demolishing the whole thing and taking it to the dump.

Installed new plumbing for a conversion to two side by side vanities

Removed the mirror (with a thrown pipe wrench) and the rest of the drywall so I could change some electrical stuff and put up hardibacker

Cut a hole to frame out a 2nd medicine cabinet on the right side

Finished the electrical work for some light up mirrors and added some recessed lighting

Finished framing out the medicine cabinet and added an outlet

Hardibacker was installed (by someone else who had no idea how to install this stuff judging by his seams)

Medicine cabinet drywalled and ready for install

Added some ledger boards for the new floating vanities

Floating vanities installed (plywood added later for new granite)

So long old jacuzzi tub

Breaking apart 2 inches of mortar to get rid of this tub surround. Talk about a pain in the rear end.

A scene from an Aleppo war-torn home. Oh wait it's my bathroom after demoing the tub surround.

Tub surround begone! *POOF!*

Time for my 2nd trip to the dump.

Framing out the new shower wall

Had to remove an exterior window

Found someone on Craigs to stucco it back in for cheap

That's where I'm at so far.
Next on the list:
- New tub arrives tomorrow
- Granite for vanities should be here any day
- Going to drop the subfloor under the tub a few inches
- Installing a few more recessed lights

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Nevermind this post - HTTPS problems.

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 15, 2017

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

bEatmstrJ posted:

Is it just me or do all my image links appear broken? The links are correct if you open them in a new window, but they show up broken on my end.

Yep, can't see a one.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Poisonlizard posted:

Yep, can't see a one.

If you open one of the broken links in a new tab does is show correctly then?

This is driving me nuts, I can't figure out what's going on.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

bEatmstrJ posted:

If you open one of the broken links in a new tab does is show correctly then?

This is driving me nuts, I can't figure out what's going on.

It does. Because the forum uses https and your links are http, mixed content doesn't show up.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Poisonlizard posted:

It does. Because the forum uses https and your links are http, mixed content doesn't show up.

You're a champion! Set up an HTTPS cert on my site. Poof! Magic!

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 15, 2017

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

It's pretty cool that Xzibit remodeled this house before you!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

It's pretty cool that Xzibit remodeled this house before you!

Yeah, not shown in that Sketchup design is that the existing shower will get torn out towards the end of the project. That will get turned into a "powder room" (at least, that's what I'm calling it).

(I'm assuming thats what you meant by the Xzibit reference - Shower in your shower or whatever).

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I meant the toilet. Bathroom in a bathroom.

I was definitely thinking what you said in the beginning. That bathroom looks good to begin, weird to remodel. Looks really good so far, though!

I was tickled by the double vanities on both sides with a tub in the middle, though. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I meant the toilet. Bathroom in a bathroom.

I was definitely thinking what you said in the beginning. That bathroom looks good to begin, weird to remodel. Looks really good so far, though!

I was tickled by the double vanities on both sides with a tub in the middle, though. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Ah gotcha. Yeah the separate toilet rooms are actually pretty common. The vanities on two separate sides, probably not so much.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'm pretty sure your bathroom is larger than my master bedroom :stwoon:. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out because I'm jealous as gently caress.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

I'm pretty sure your bathroom is larger than my master bedroom :stwoon:. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out because I'm jealous as gently caress.

Yeah it's pretty good size. In total a little over 200 sqft. My master bedroom is quite a bit larger. It has a retreat about the size of an average bedroom, plus the main portion and an entryway.

I spent almost a year remodeling my master and finished it up last year. Theres some pics here if you want to see how that turned out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734807&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=82#post459518263

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
So how much time have you spent on this one so far (not counting the planning phase)? And how is it progressing compared to your expectations? I'm always curious about plans vs reality stuff.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Raised by Hamsters posted:

So how much time have you spent on this one so far (not counting the planning phase)? And how is it progressing compared to your expectations? I'm always curious about plans vs reality stuff.

I figured it would be around 6 months in total. Granted, for the most part I'm only doing major stuff on the weekends. My first task was removing the vanity on the right side and I did that on Jan 7th. I'm keeping tabs on all my costs and completion times as best I can. My project list currently has 62 tasks, of which 19 have been completed.

In other news:
- Bathtub arrived today and looks pretty good
- Bathtub drain ordered from Amazon ($170!?)
- Granite for my vanities will be installed tomorrow morning
- Hope to have sinks installed and running by the weekend so I can tear out the left vanity

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Granite countertops have been installed for my vanities. Was planning on just going to town with the sinks and plumbing install but now I'm thinking I might need to tile that back wall first so the sinks and faucets are not in the way.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Bowls are going on top I assume? I can't really imagine a scenario where you don't hate tiling around that.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Bowls are going on top I assume? I can't really imagine a scenario where you don't hate tiling around that.

Correct. Yeah I might just install one sink and faucet and remove it if needed. Should be pretty quick to take out. Good idea. I think maybe I'll go do that now.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
EDIT: I'm going to quote the most important two posts because they deserve to be preserved forever and ever.

bEatmstrJ posted:

After a long, drawn out remodel of my bedroom (posted in the projects thread a while back), I knew my bathroom was coming next. I spent some time putting together a rough design in Sketchup and got to work. I still have a few months to go before I finish, but i'll post updates as they come. A lot of things are still being decided as I go and I have a very time consuming full time job that I also have to attend to, but I hope to make some stable progress each week. Fortunately, It's been planned out in such a way that I will still be able to fully use my bathroom during construction and I have no wife to nag me about finishing.

Here are some before pics (Here's where you think to yourself, there's nothing wrong with it. Why would you remodel it?)

Here's the rough sketchup design of what the completed bathroom will resemble.

And here's the fun in progress pics. Keep in mind, for the most part i'm doing all of it myself, with the help of a friend here and there, with the exception of tile installation and the shower pan install.

First step was to tear out the right side vanity. I tried to give the vanity away to someone on Craigslist, but that created a nightmare of a process that resulted in my demolishing the whole thing and taking it to the dump.

Installed new plumbing for a conversion to two side by side vanities

Removed the mirror (with a thrown pipe wrench) and the rest of the drywall so I could change some electrical stuff and put up hardibacker

Cut a hole to frame out a 2nd medicine cabinet on the right side

Finished the electrical work for some light up mirrors and added some recessed lighting

Finished framing out the medicine cabinet and added an outlet

Hardibacker was installed (by someone else who had no idea how to install this stuff judging by his seams)

Medicine cabinet drywalled and ready for install

Added some ledger boards for the new floating vanities

Floating vanities installed (plywood added later for new granite)

So long old jacuzzi tub

Breaking apart 2 inches of mortar to get rid of this tub surround. Talk about a pain in the rear end.

A scene from an Aleppo war-torn home. Oh wait it's my bathroom after demoing the tub surround.

Tub surround begone! *POOF!*

Time for my 2nd trip to the dump.

Framing out the new shower wall

Had to remove an exterior window

Found someone on Craigs to stucco it back in for cheap

That's where I'm at so far.
Next on the list:
- New tub arrives tomorrow
- Granite for vanities should be here any day
- Going to drop the subfloor under the tub a few inches
- Installing a few more recessed lights

bEatmstrJ posted:

Bought myself some 40 grit diamond burr drill bits and was able to enlarge the holes in my granite tops to accommodate the slightly larger drain tubes with relative ease. Still being plagued with minor drips in the sink plumbing but i'll figure that out.

Today I ripped out the sub-floor where my tub is going to be installed. Took surprisingly more effort than I expected, until I found a good way to cheat.

Need to do a bit of plumbing work. The vent pipe is going to be a bit of a challenge because it used to go above the sub-floor (as you can sort of see), but was tucked under the tub surround. I need to figure out how to run it under the sub-floor in an even shallower space since i'll be dropping the floor a few inches to make a tub pit. Also need to re-purpose one of the old jacuzzi tub circuits for a heated floor circuit. This nice big safety hazard of a pit will probably be here for at least a week or two.

Updates:
- Received the last of my tile in the mail today so I can tile the wall behind the vanities. Still considering some metal edging where it meets with the drywall on the sides.
- Removed some hardibacker under the vanities since I'll be installing heated floor mats directly over the subfloor.
- Need to modify my vanity mirrors with some additional LED lighting.

aperion fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 5, 2017

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Great news! I have a fully functioning sink in place.

Terrible news... The doors and drawers and my vanities don't fit under the lip of the granite. Now I have to convince the granite guys to fix it somehow. Minor setback.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
You know, I've never seen granite with a lip that hangs down lower than the rest of the slab (assuming I'm understanding you correctly). And the more I think about it, provided the granite is one solid piece, the amount of work required to put a lip on it seems staggering and kind of pointless. What's the story here? Is it actual granite, or a synthetic material?

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
You typically see it done in situations where weight is at a premium. The lip gives an impression of full thickness granite and the space is padded out with plywood.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Slugworth posted:

You know, I've never seen granite with a lip that hangs down lower than the rest of the slab (assuming I'm understanding you correctly). And the more I think about it, provided the granite is one solid piece, the amount of work required to put a lip on it seems staggering and kind of pointless. What's the story here? Is it actual granite, or a synthetic material?

Its actually extremely common to do this. I don't think I've ever seen granite that didn't have a "double thick" bevel. It would be too costly to cut the slab leaving a thick bevel, so they just cut an extra 1.5" piece and glue it to the bottom side of the granite, then finish it.

You should be able to see a slight line down the middle of every granite edge (including mine). But as Digital War said, there is a sheet of plywood underneath to make up the difference. In my case they will probably need to remove the granite, put a thicker sheet of plywood down and reinstall it. It sounds like the granite company is going to fix it, but it will delay things a bit.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Huh, maybe a regional thing (or, my region is the weird one for not doing it). I've removed a lot of granite countertops and never seen it done that way, regardless of edge profile. Live and learn.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Well, it was a bit of a hack, but my cabinet doors and drawers now fit.

Unfortunately, I mistakenly bought the wrong drains (got overflows when I needed non-overflows) and the new drains are slightly wider and don't fit into the holes in the granite. So another minor setback. Got some diamond bits coming so I can make the holes a little wider in a few days and finally get my sinks going. Also, still waiting for some accent tiles before I can tile the wall. Also got some additional recessed lights installed after finishing the drywall patches.

Next up
- Enlarge drain holes
- Install sinks
- Tile wall
- Install mirrors
- Phase 2!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Did you fix these studs before closing up the wall?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Did you fix these studs before closing up the wall?

If by fix you mean, cover the ABS pipe with stud protectors then yes. I didn't do anything to the actual studs, but its not a structural wall so that shouldn't affect anything.

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 26, 2017

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Bought myself some 40 grit diamond burr drill bits and was able to enlarge the holes in my granite tops to accommodate the slightly larger drain tubes with relative ease. Still being plagued with minor drips in the sink plumbing but i'll figure that out.

Today I ripped out the sub-floor where my tub is going to be installed. Took surprisingly more effort than I expected, until I found a good way to cheat.

Need to do a bit of plumbing work. The vent pipe is going to be a bit of a challenge because it used to go above the sub-floor (as you can sort of see), but was tucked under the tub surround. I need to figure out how to run it under the sub-floor in an even shallower space since i'll be dropping the floor a few inches to make a tub pit. Also need to re-purpose one of the old jacuzzi tub circuits for a heated floor circuit. This nice big safety hazard of a pit will probably be here for at least a week or two.

Updates:
- Received the last of my tile in the mail today so I can tile the wall behind the vanities. Still considering some metal edging where it meets with the drywall on the sides.
- Removed some hardibacker under the vanities since I'll be installing heated floor mats directly over the subfloor.
- Need to modify my vanity mirrors with some additional LED lighting.

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 26, 2017

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
The vanity drain isn't to code.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bEatmstrJ posted:

Are those engineered I beams that you cut the top off of?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

PromethiumX posted:

The vanity drain isn't to code.

How so?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

devicenull posted:

Are those engineered I beams that you cut the top off of?

Yes, which i'm sure is not to code, but its the only way I can accomplish what I'm trying to do. They will be getting new tops before I reinstall the new sub-floor. Aside from the obvious, you probably shouldn't have done that, let me know if you have any suggestions on how to improve the structural rigidity of said I beams before I close the floor back up.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

drat, when I used to run electrical, I was only allowed to drill the middle 1/3 of these engineered beams....you've removed all the compressive strength of the joists in an area of heavy loading!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

angryrobots posted:

drat, when I used to run electrical, I was only allowed to drill the middle 1/3 of these engineered beams....you've removed all the compressive strength of the joists in an area of heavy loading!

All of the electrical and plumbing was ran before I changed anything in that pic. It's a 10 year old house so I assume they did things up to recent code compliance. I have some ideas on how I'm going to beef up the beams a bit before I install the floor.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Got the plumbing installed for the new tub. Also chopped about two inches off the top of the I beams (I know, I know).

Next up:
- Put some new tops back on the I beams
- Beef up the I beams some more
- Install the new subfloor

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I started writing up a big post but I don't think it will be constructive.
Basically the jist is this: You've done a really bad thing and are making some choices that will have serious consequences. I suggest stopping here for a bit and thinking things over. Also ask lots of questions and listen to what alot of people are about to say here.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Bibendum posted:

I started writing up a big post but I don't think it will be constructive.
Basically the jist is this: You've done a really bad thing and are making some choices that will have serious consequences. I suggest stopping here for a bit and thinking things over. Also ask lots of questions and listen to what alot of people are about to say here.

Well the fun part about posting your project online is that the internet is a ruthless foe, quick to point out your mistakes. Obviously i'm a bit vested into this project to stop now, but I do encourage any advice people may have on how to proceed. While normally I do my best to stay within code compliance (to the best of my knowledge) I may take some liberties here and there. But I'm certainly not looking to destroy my home so I don't take these things with a grain of salt and do my best to over engineer anything I may have done wrong. Code compliance issues are a dime a dozen I'm sure, but most people turn a blind eye if they never saw it happen. While I may not be doing things completely right, I don't have a blatant disregard for what I'm doing. I've invested a ridiculous amount of time into thinking about all the details of this project already.

I'm happy to share my future plans with people if that would solicit helpful advice, but telling me I did something wrong without offering any constructive advice is not helpful.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well the fun part about posting your project online is that the internet is a ruthless foe, quick to point out your mistakes. Obviously i'm a bit vested into this project to stop now, but I do encourage any advice people may have on how to proceed.

Good attitude.

Bare in mind that I am no engineer and hopefully one of those will show up, however - it really isn't "code compliance" that you should be worried about here.

Those beams are using a couple of individually weak members, which when locked together form an individually strong whole. Cutting the top off​ didn't weaken them by 25% or whatever vertical distance you went through. Instead you kind of made then non functional. And did this to a bunch in a row.

Why don't you post your plan and get some feedback here? And if you don't get advice here please go seek it out.

Again, not an engineer, but I imagine any repair will involve snugly restoring the missing piece, maybe a 2x6 or similar ripped down to size and routed to recieve the web? Then sistering and blocking at all of the cuts.

Also on rereading, you were planning to lower the tub into the floor? I don't think that will be an option here...

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Here is my idea for strengthening the beams prior to installing the new subfloor. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

New 2x4's will be added to the top (with a slot cut to slide onto the beam).
Plywood "bridge supports" will be added directly below the 2x4s extending beyond the cut area.
2x4 cross members will be added between each beam for extra rigidity.

Front view and side view of proposed plan:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

bEatmstrJ posted:

Here is my idea for strengthening the beams prior to installing the new subfloor. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

New 2x4's will be added to the top (with a slot cut to slide onto the beam).
Plywood "bridge supports" will be added directly below the 2x4s extending beyond the cut area.
2x4 cross members will be added between each beam for extra rigidity.

Front view and side view of proposed plan:

Have you talked to an engineer about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Dude I really think you need to consult with someone before moving forward on this.

• Locked thread