Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
This beautiful bathroom remodel is only going to add tons of value to the house. I'd suggest immediately after you're finished put this gem on the market. Try to sell it before even trying to fill the tub. It can sometimes be harder to sell a house that has soap scum on a brand new tub. Then the next owner can enjoy the tub to its fullest when you are long gone. Otherwise this is a fantastic job! Do you do side jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
I'm still trying to understand what the goal of that was even... those few inches aren't gaining him much at all. He had a freestanding tub in the sketchup model. Buy a shorter one if it's too tall.

It's fixable I'm sure, but what the best course of action has me at a loss. Maybe a type of flitch beam of sorts or box beam. What a mess. I don't think it's going to cause his house to fall over, but I hope he doesn't live where tornadoes are a possibility.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I like how the bathroom he tore apart initially is one I would aspire to in my house.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I like how the bathroom he tore apart initially is one I would aspire to in my house.

It did have tile counter tops. Nothing wrong with replacing tile counter tops.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sometimes the urge to poop in a brand new terlet overcomes your better senses and you just have to follow your sharts

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

dpack_1 posted:

Translation:

You're the kinda engineer that doesn't just want to take my money and run away laughing to the bank after telling me "it'll be fine" and because your words hurt my DIY ego I don't want to listen to them.

Any engineer doesn't have to tell you how to do the job that they would normally be paid lots of money for. They get paid lots of money for having that knowledge, you have no right to expect that knowledge to be passed to you for free.

HIRE A GOD drat CERTIFIED ENGINEER TO STOP YOUR HOUSE FALLING DOWN!

Actual Translation (since you're a moron): The kind of engineer that would insult someone rather than being professional and offering courteous advice, then touting themselves as being an engineer. It's the equivalent of me having a heart attack on the street and a doctor pointing and laughing saying, "Haha you're dumb cause you're having a heart attack! BTW I'm a doctor!". It's a douchebag move and you're obviously a douchebag as well for not recognizing that. I don't expect anyone to help me for free. But just getting help has been a challenge in itself.

brugroffil posted:

My advice would be to hire a structural engineer (which I think you said you're doing already, good!) and contact your local building department to pull the proper permits for the work you're doing. I'm not a structural engineer, so I definitely won't be offering any professional advice on exactly how hosed your floor and wall are.

I'm also an ambitious DIYer. This will be an expensive lesson to yourself to spend twice as much time researching how to do a job properly, safely and soundly as it will take you to actually do the job. Cutting corners can lead to major problems down the road as can simply doing the job improperly due to lack of knowledge (e.g. what's your plan for vapor barriers for the shower tile? lots of Crappy Construction thread bathroom remodels have none). Treat building code as an absolute minimum, not your max target.

e: just remember that if you hadn't posted those pictures to this thread, you would have blundered ahead in creating a literal death trap. People are going to give you some poo poo over that even while they're giving you advice.

We all have expensive lessons in life but I'm a quick learner. I've gotten far in life by doing things myself and learning from my mistakes. I'm sure people are going to continue to give me poo poo because it makes them feel better about themselves. But at the end of the day I still get to feel better about myself for getting up and doing something most people don't have the balls to do themselves, mistakes or otherwise.

There are certainly a lot of details, like vapor barriers, that will come up during this project. I have pretty fair knowledge of most of the tasks I'm doing, but there are still some things I plan to leave to professionals, like the shower. Either way, I appreciate your much more constructive feedback and hope other people will take the same approach.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

xwing posted:

I'm still trying to understand what the goal of that was even... those few inches aren't gaining him much at all. He had a freestanding tub in the sketchup model. Buy a shorter one if it's too tall.

It's fixable I'm sure, but what the best course of action has me at a loss. Maybe a type of flitch beam of sorts or box beam. What a mess. I don't think it's going to cause his house to fall over, but I hope he doesn't live where tornadoes are a possibility.

I've purposely neglected to mention WHY i'm doing this, but it will be made apparent soon enough. And no, I live in SoCal where the weather is always 80 degrees and sunny, like it literally is today.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bEatmstrJ posted:

I've purposely neglected to mention WHY i'm doing this, but it will be made apparent soon enough. And no, I live in SoCal where the weather is always 80 degrees and sunny, like it literally is today.

It's the hottest day of the week. It's going to rain on Friday and be in the low 60's on Saturday. :colbert:

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

It's the hottest day of the week. It's going to rain on Friday and be in the low 60's on Saturday. :colbert:

I think that was obviously figurative, despite the fact that is IS literally 80 today.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
This is more like a doctor saying "well, you didn't come in six weeks ago when you started having crushing chest pain, and now part of your heart is dead so you're gonna need to start major treatments for heart failure and adjust your lifestyle to the limitations of having only half a functioning left ventricle."

This happens all the goddamn time in medicine and many pts respond the exact same way: "Well why can't you give me CONSTRUCTIVE feedback and offer SOLUTIONS instead of telling me I hosed up?" Fact is, once you've hosed up, all the easy solutions are too late. Your bathroom has heart failure and everyone is telling you you're gonna need a professional and some major floor joist replacements. The easy solutions that would have helped before can't help you now. It sucks, but that's how it is.

Now, when our pts go home with a hosed-up heart and a list of medications they need to survive, but they blow us off and refuse to take the meds and try to patch up their dead heart chunks by changing their diet and taking herbal supplements, we inevitably see them again. And yes, we do make fun of them. We still try to save them, but we fully acknowledge that they have progressed from "terrible mistake" to "dumb motherfucker" and start placing bets on how often they'll be back with their lungs full of backed-up blood.

Which is to say: I'm a nurse and it took me forever to figure out what was wrong with those joists just looking at your picture. No shame in ignorance. Maybe there's some shame in the hubris of thinking you could figure it out as you go, but eh, you're informed now, no worries. From here, though, you can't plead ignorance, and if you write off everyone in the thread as a douchebag and gently caress up your house by failing to get the help you need, you will absolutely deserve mockery.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

Actual Translation (since you're a moron): The kind of engineer that would insult someone rather than being professional and offering courteous advice, then touting themselves as being an engineer. It's the equivalent of me having a heart attack on the street and a doctor pointing and laughing saying, "Haha you're dumb cause you're having a heart attack! BTW I'm a doctor!". It's a douchebag move and you're obviously a douchebag as well for not recognizing that. I don't expect anyone to help me for free. But just getting help has been a challenge in itself.

We all have expensive lessons in life but I'm a quick learner. I've gotten far in life by doing things myself and learning from my mistakes. I'm sure people are going to continue to give me poo poo because it makes them feel better about themselves. But at the end of the day I still get to feel better about myself for getting up and doing something most people don't have the balls to do themselves, mistakes or otherwise.

There are certainly a lot of details, like vapor barriers, that will come up during this project. I have pretty fair knowledge of most of the tasks I'm doing, but there are still some things I plan to leave to professionals, like the shower. Either way, I appreciate your much more constructive feedback and hope other people will take the same approach.

Look man, I don't think people are being mean or anything just having a laugh dude. I mean it IS funny you cut the supports out from under your future tub. I have mega respect for handy folks that have initiative. I'm rich and lazy lol. Also repeating what I said earlier, no contractor worth a poo poo wants to come in and fix gently caress ups, irrespective how much you pay them. To a degree I guess.

But what's with the big secret reveal on why you just didn't take out the tile?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
I still want to know what exactly the plan is that's impossible without cutting up engineered joists. Did he seriously do this just to make the tub an inch or two lower?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burt Sexual posted:

But what's with the big secret reveal on why you just didn't take out the tile?

I thought the secret was about why he needed to make the tub two inches lower. The answer probably being that he's short, or his wife is short, and has trouble getting into the tub. No reason to be all secretive about that though, the forums have some cool dwarfs and nobody cares that they are short.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

Facebook Aunt posted:

I thought the secret was about why he needed to make the tub two inches lower. The answer probably being that he's short, or his wife is short, and has trouble getting into the tub. No reason to be all secretive about that though, the forums have some cool dwarfs and nobody cares that they are short.

I he going to post a picture of him and his wife in the tub? UnSubscribed

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Did you fix these studs before closing up the wall?

gently caress

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

He's definitely in over his head.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

dangling pointer posted:

He's definitely in over his head.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Where are your GFCIs and are you going to use junction boxes anywhere?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

bEatmstrJ posted:

I've purposely neglected to mention WHY i'm doing this, but it will be made apparent soon enough.

"But once you recognize the secret reason for cutting the floor joists, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds." :argh:

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

gently caress

Holy poo poo we all missed that the first time around.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

I think a lot of people are taking they tone they are because you're being kind of a smug dick about this whole thing, tbh. "Maybe builder's grade is good enough for you plebes, but not for I!"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

5'd and subscribed op! looking forward to a fabulous end result!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

good catch, looks like regular outlets over/around the bathroom vanity.

OP, those need to be GFCI's if they're within a certain reach of the bath/shower/sinks. I don't remember off the top of my head what it is.

Check code, pull permits, get in compliance and get this properly inspected and signed off on.

e:

bEatmstrJ posted:

On the bright note, I haven't done anything that will need to be undone to accomplish my goal. What I did still would have been done by a contractor in the process of adding new beams. The only thing that has changed is my path towards completion.

How sure about that are you? Did you fix the studs you hosed up behind your vanity before putting your vanity in? Did anyone inspect your plumbing before you walled it all in?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

RizieN posted:

How 'handy' are you in general? One of the first projects I want to tackle as far as remodeling the house I'm trying to buy is the Master Bath. It's so...plain, and there's tons of un-used space. I'd like to do it all myself if it'd save money, but some stuff I know I'll need to contract out, I'm great with computers and photoshop and video and design etc...but actually building, I'm not too sure about yet.

bEatmstrJ posted:

I consider myself pretty handy and don't fear many projects. However unless I know all the steps involved i'd rather not try to tackle it. I know this was gonna be a big project with a lot of steps and there were aspects of this project I would not have known going into it such as redoing/relocating drains, hot mopping the shower pan, replacing the drywall with wonderboard, soldering in a new shower head. The tile work I was iffy about too, but after seeing it, tiling is pretty easy, its just really slow. But even paying someone else to do a lot of it, the whole thing was under 10k. Though I found a guy that works really cheap and it was unlicensed, so there was that.

Goddamn son, you should listen to yourself from 6 years ago because that guy seems like less of a fuckup to be honest. Your smug attitude is pretty loving hilarious though so maybe just keep going with this trainwreck.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Are you a qualified electrician? Did you get your electrical work inspected before you sealed it up?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Migishu posted:

Are you a qualified electrician? Did you get your electrical work inspected before you sealed it up?

He took an online course and self-certified his own work

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Beast of Bourbon posted:

He took an online course and self-certified his own work

Look, he's got money and can fix this stuff later and learn from the experience ok? Like if his wife or child are electrocuted to death, he can just buy new ones and warn them to be careful in his cool bathroom.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Did you install a vapor barrier between the various electrical components and the drywall? Might be wise fyi.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

I found your LinkedIn page. "Self-taught DIY expert." :lol:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

kid sinister posted:

Dude

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kid sinister posted:

:laffo: The LinkedIn equivalent of putting "CEO at being a dad" and "PhD at school of life" on your facebook to match your dad mullet and frosted tips.

This thread just keeps on giving.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

I realize the goonpile is fun friend but lets respect a few lines for funs sake.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

OP ignore all the haters, there is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with your project so far. Please install the bathtub and try it out for us before you let any of those namby-pamby "engineers" who think they know better ruin it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

:laffo: The LinkedIn equivalent of putting "CEO at being a dad" and "PhD at school of life" on your facebook to match your dad mullet and frosted tips.

This thread just keeps on giving.

For the record, he doesn't work in construction or anything remotely related. In fact, the only reason he does poo poo DIY is because he's a major skinflint. Check out the homepage link in his profile.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Cold on a Cob posted:

Goddamn son, you should listen to yourself from 6 years ago because that guy seems like less of a fuckup to be honest. Your smug attitude is pretty loving hilarious though so maybe just keep going with this trainwreck.

You better watch what the gently caress you say to a Certified DIY Expert

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

kid sinister posted:

If your potential employers don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

kid sinister posted:

For the record, he doesn't work in construction or anything remotely related. In fact, the only reason he does poo poo DIY is because he's a major skinflint. Check out the homepage link in his profile.

Please stop doxxing him or he won't come back

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

neonbregna posted:

For real do not take this away from me.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

I realize the goonpile is fun friend but lets respect a few lines for funs sake.

What's more important: laughing at this idiot, or a safe house that won't hurt anyone?

neonbregna posted:

He'd better. I doubt he got permits for any of this, being cheap and all.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

All of the vanity outlets are GFCI protected. Any junction boxes that will be used will be accessible.

• Locked thread