Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bEatmstrJ posted:

All of the vanity outlets are GFCI protected. Any junction boxes that will be used will be accessible.

Protection just breeds weakness, dude. Make sure everything is unexposed live wiring. It builds character in a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

What's more important: laughing at this idiot, or a safe house that won't hurt anyone?

Im sorry officer

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

The "vanity" in "vanity outlets" doesn't mean "just there for looks"

The real ones need to be GFCI too.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
So I think we've gotten off on the wrong foot here.

My thick skin is wearing thin and I'm about ready to bail on this thread which i'm sure would give you all plenty to talk about.

I love sharing my projects with people and with every project I learn an immense amount, this one included. But unfortunately there is no good way to deal with the thread making GBS threads that is occurring here.

There are many approaches I could take:
- Should I apologize for being an amateur? Well that will probably just lead to more and more people telling me i'm in over my head.
- Should I ignore everyone and just keep doing what I planned on doing my way? Well that will probably just result in people calling me an idiot and giving me new (soon to be irrelevant custom titles).
- Should I listen to advice and continue to defend myself everyday? Well that doesn't seem to be working so far cause everyone is still calling me an idiot.

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat to anyone, but a lot of people are being an rear end in a top hat to me which is forcing me to look like an rear end in a top hat while defending myself. It's a bit of a catch 22.

It should be VERY clear to everyone that I'm contacting contractors and engineers to find a solution to my current bathtub predicament. There's absolutely zero reason to continue to bash me about it until I move forward with any solutions.

I've said it several times before. I'm an ambitious DIYer. I call myself a DIY expert on LinkedIn and I don't think there is anything wrong with that (especially for a resume). I've done a huge variety of projects in my past (none to this extreme so far), and I know a lot about a lot of different trades. But I don't know every detail about every trade and I have no problem admitting that.

It takes a lot of guts for me to post a project like this on a forum of very smart people who are quick to pick out every minor detail. This doesn't make me an idiot.

There's not a lot I can do at this point to get anyone to respect me and I'm not going to try to get people to do that. But I will continue to seek advice going forward and do things to the best of my ability. But if it's just going to turn into a huge dogpile on me then there's no need for me to continue sharing.

I know it's a lot to ask, but let's all try to be civil and constructive and i'll try not to sound like I know everything, cause I don't.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I respect your candour.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

None of you guys are closers, a closer just start ripping up his house first to prove how handy he is, then if that goalpost doesn't work anymore then uhh to prove how money means nothing to him and these fuckups are fine because balls. What sort of beta is all timid and hires a professional or even does research? If you can do something like 3d model and you're a "designer" you're clearly smarter than some idiot working class contractor who probably doesn't even have a stem or business related degree. It's called rapid prototyping, it's called disrupting the building code. Did the pioneers settling america hire professionals? No, they had BALLS like the OP and did it them selves, with their balls.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
good attitude OP, just remember most folks in DIY just want to help you out, getting all butthurt and pissy because you did something dumb just puts blood in the water for folks that just want to watch you goonwell dig

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

My thick skin is wearing thin and I'm about ready to bail on this thread which i'm sure would give you all plenty to talk about.

I love sharing my projects with people and with every project I learn an immense amount, this one included. But unfortunately there is no good way to deal with the thread making GBS threads that is occurring here.

- Should I apologize for being an amateur? Well that will probably just lead to more and more people telling me i'm in over my head.
- Should I ignore everyone and just keep doing what I planned on doing my way? Well that will probably just result in people calling me an idiot and giving me new (soon to be irrelevant custom titles).
- Should I listen to advice and continue to defend myself everyday? Well that doesn't seem to be working so far cause everyone is still calling me an idiot.

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat to anyone, but a lot of people are being an rear end in a top hat to me which is forcing me to look like an rear end in a top hat while defending myself. It's a bit of a catch 22.

It should be VERY clear to everyone that I'm contacting contractors and engineers to find a solution to my current bathtub predicament. There's absolutely zero reason to continue to bash me about it until I move forward with any solutions.

I've said it several times before. I'm an ambitious DIYer. I call myself a DIY expert on LinkedIn and I don't think there is anything wrong with that (especially for a resume). I've done a huge variety of projects in my past (none to this extreme so far), and I know a lot about a lot of different trades. But I don't know every detail about every trade and I have no problem admitting that.

It takes a lot of guts for me to post a project like this on a forum of very smart people who are quick to pick out every minor detail. This doesn't make me an idiot.

There's not a lot I can do at this point to get anyone to respect me and I'm not going to try to get people to do that. But I will continue to seek advice going forward and do things to the best of my ability. But if it's just going to turn into a huge dogpile on me then there's no need for me to continue sharing.

I know it's a lot to ask, but let's all try to be civil and constructive and i'll try not to sound like I know everything, cause I don't.

Before you go, I wanted to ask about junction boxes again:

I saw this photo in your open directory:

Yet in this image it shows that it is sealed:

How do you get access to the junction boxes there?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

bEatmstrJ posted:

My thick skin is wearing thin...

:yum:

You initially poo poo on everyone telling you to get help and then threw a fit when the professionals you tried to contact didn't drop everything to help you immediately. You kind of asked the internet to poo poo on you for that one.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Is your bed countersunk?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well that will probably just result in people giving me new (soon to be irrelevant custom titles).

I mean the site could use the revenue.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

None of that stuff is permanently attached. All of those wall panels and the ceiling box can be removed without any tools. Also, it plugs into an electrical outlet and is not hardwired so its just an appliance.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

OSI bean dip posted:

I recognize that bed! He posted a couple years back in the electrical thread about that very bed and we had to fight with him then about it!

found it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739&pagenumber=158&perpage=40#post454249560

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 6, 2017

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

kid sinister posted:

I recognize that bed! He posted a couple years back in the electrical thread about that very bed and we had to fight with him then about it!

Yep, and now I know more because of it. Turns out your solution was easier than mine anyway, I just didn't know it could be done that way.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

OSI bean dip posted:

From the other thread i posted in, seems relevant,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yx0Z8T4q1o&t=32m12s

Load bearing structural supports? PSSSHHHH thats crazy talk, round here we depend on luck and gum!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

Yep, and now I know more because of it. Turns out your solution was easier than mine anyway, I just didn't know it could be done that way.

So you completely loving up your first DIY try and then ignoring everyone's advice is a common occurrence then?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 6, 2017

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

kid sinister posted:

So you completely loving up your first DIY try and then ignoring everyone's advice is a common occurrence then?

I didn't ignore advice. I used the advice that was given to me in that thread.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

I can tell you're a salesman.

Stop trying to make yourself sound better. Nobody gives a poo poo about your "guts". You're an idiot who hosed up majorly, then tried to talk his way out of it.

I still don't think you've learned your lesson about this. I'm halfway thinking about reporting you to your city just to make sure you do. They have a handy dandy online code violation inspection request form!

bEatmstrJ posted:

I didn't ignore advice. I used the advice that was given to me in that thread.

Prove it. Post a picture of the plug for that thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No one's being mean because of what you did, most goons, specially in DIY, are pretty cool nice people who want to help. Some people will have a laugh but then move on. It's your constant defensiveness and some how turning this massive fuckup into more bragging about your skills and finances. People are very concerned that you didn't seem to be acting like you "got" how much of a fuckup this was, and it was your ego and lack of DIY skills that caused it.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing what the gently caress you are doing. There's tons of things I have no skill or knowledge about and I wish I could do. But often the most important skill to have is knowing what you don't know. All your posting comes off as really defensive of your DIY skills and refusing any sort honest re-assessment of your DIY skills. No one's doubting your passion, DIY is fun and cool, but when it comes to projects like this you really really have to know what you don't know and have an honest and accurate assessment of your own skills.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 6, 2017

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

kid sinister posted:

Prove it. Post a picture of the plug for that thing.

I'll post it if you tell me it will change any part of your opinion about me for the better.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

No one's being mean because of what you did, most goons, specially in DIY, are pretty cool nice people who want to help. Some people will have a laugh but then move on. It's your constant defensiveness and some how turning this massive fuckup into more bragging about your skills and finances. People are very concerned that you didn't seem to be acting like you "got" how much of a fuckup this was, and it was your ego and lack of DIY skills that caused it.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing what the gently caress you are doing. There's tons of things I have no skill or knowledge about and I wish I could do. But often the most important skill to have is knowing what you don't know. All your posting comes off as really defensive of your DIY skills and refusing any sort honest re-assessment of your DIY skills. No one's doubting your passion, DIY is fun and cool, but when it comes to projects like this you really really have to know what you don't know and have an honest and accurate assessment of your own skills.

It's true, I didn't understand the seriousness of it originally. But now I do, and I have you guys to thank for that. And i'm taking steps to remedy the situation, but it seems like I'm still getting bashed for not knowing something.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

It's true, I didn't understand the seriousness of it originally. But now I do, and I have you guys to thank for that. And i'm taking steps to remedy the situation, but it seems like I'm still getting bashed for not knowing something.

It isn't that you're getting based for not knowing something, you're getting bashed because you're making these huge mistakes and then getting defensive about it. You did it in the electrical thread and you're doing it here. The fact that someone bestowed you an avatar referencing Groverhaus should be seen as an honour, not an insult.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's poo poo like this:
"I call myself a DIY expert on LinkedIn and I don't think there is anything wrong with that (especially for a resume)"
You are not an DIY expert. You are very very bad at DIY (this is ok! I am too!). I don't know if you're in sales or business or something but you don't need to be constantly promoting your self to the point that you start to believe your own lies. Fake it till you make it, or at least until your house burns down from an electrical fire or the tub falls through the floor! This is what people are worried about and pissed off about, that you just can't not be in self-promotion mode over this.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

bEatmstrJ posted:

but it seems like I'm still getting bashed for not knowing something.

Don't have to respond to every attempt to get a rise out of you dog. Trolling you is easy mode so everyone is jumping in.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't let these DIY forum haters get to you bEatmstrJ. They are trolls. Everything is a learning experience and I think you are doing great work here.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The beatings will continue until morale improves the situation is resolved, I think that's pretty fair!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

kid sinister posted:

I still don't think you've learned your lesson about this. I'm halfway thinking about reporting you to your city just to make sure you do. They have a handy dandy online code violation inspection request form!

I feel like you shouldn't be doxing people and calling authorities because you just don't believe him when he says he's getting it fixed, dude.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OP, I, for one, appreciate your grit and desire to beta test home improvements. If you do it once and it's wrong, just fix it and do it again, I say! Good work all around.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

glynnenstein posted:

I feel like you shouldn't be doxing people and calling authorities because you just don't believe him when he says he's getting it fixed, dude.

Yeah, he's not flipping this house or saying he's just going to tile over it all over and ignore it. let him fix the thing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The dog piling posts ITT are cutting through the load-bearing I-joists of OP's heart

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

I'm going to attempt to derail this thread with some actual project questions.

Anybody have any ideas how to mount this valve? Most Kohler valves come with mount points that can be screwed to a backer 2x4, but this one seems to be absent of those. My thoughts are that it is held in place with rigid copper pipe that is strapped in place, but I'm using PEX so that's not going to help much. Any ideas oh how to mount this beast?

(Notes: Yes, I'll be using teflon tape, i'm just testing the fittings. I'll probably get a longer pipe between the valve and the spout based on clearance between the valve cover and tub spout.)

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Did you get ANY permits to do this work?

Isnt California crazy about getting permits for remodels? I only know this from listening to Adam Carolla.

Youll never be able to sell this house if this stuff isnt up to code.

If an inspector see you doing remods with no permits you can get into CRAZY trouble.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 6, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I didn't click on your linked in page op, friends? That's bs and childish. Surprised there isn't a ban. This is my first foray into DIY so you guys may be more fyad than I know.

Your still being a bit aloof tho.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

JB50 posted:

Did you get ANY permits to do this work?

Isnt California crazy about getting permits for remodels? I only know this from listening to Adam Carolla.

Youll never be able to sell this house if this stuff isnt up to code.

If an inspector see you doing remods with no permits you can get into CRAZY trouble.

It's my goal to do everything up to code, and once I get a contractor involved, it's likely there will be permits needed, possibly for other things, which i'll take care of if needed. That being said, my last home had an extensive bathroom remodel without any permits and there were no issues when it was sold.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The upside is that OP did not attempt to self certify his handiwork because no professional would sign off on it.

Also just "laffs" (laughs) you should cut another engineered beam open, or a stud, hell why not all of them what's the worst that could happen.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

bEatmstrJ posted:

Ok.
Are you required to have permits/inspections for the work you're doing in your municipality? And if so, have you arranged for them?
Did you do any reinforcement to the studs you put your sink drainage through? Because if that's a 2" drain pipe, you've definitely broken code by installing it in that fashion, especially with the 2 notched 2x4's. Like, the wall might fall down kind of code.

I sure hope this isn't a load-bearing wall, because the stud you cut is now non-functional for compressive loads as shown. It reminds me of the engineering case studies I read on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse#Investigation
Specifically, the addition of moments into what are normally linear members.

Your modification to the tub drain here weirds me out too. It looks like there was originally a vent pipe running inside the tub box that you cut. But looking at your modification, I'm not sure it'll work as an adequate vent anymore.

You've already done a lot of work, I get that. You've done other DIY work, I get that. But you've made several modifications to the core of your house and sealed them up so they can't be inspected or repaired, which is a dangerous thing to do. And you glossed over some pretty important modifications as well. Filling in a window isn't difficult, but it's easy to gently caress up as well. We saw no pictures of the vapor barrier on your house being repaired, or any insulation going in. You put in a non-loadbearing wall for your shower, but have no way to check and see how well it's secured to the rafters, since you installed it over an existing drywall ceiling.

No matter how good your work will look on the outside, it'll be worthless if it causes problems down the line. Especially if they problems can be traced to modifications you made.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure your project does need permits and I think you probably should form a plan to get on track for that. We all know tons of remodel work goes on in the real world without permits even when it is supposed to and people get by without problems. But I say so because, besides just being the proper thing to do, the removal of an exterior window is more likely going to make it fairly clear to people down the road that some major work has been done that should have been permitted. It's going to be easier and cheaper to get things in order earlier in the project than it will be later.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'll post it if you tell me it will change any part of your opinion about me for the better.

Now that I reported you to your city's building division who will make you actually follow through, I feel better already.

glynnenstein posted:

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, he's not flipping this house or saying he's just going to tile over it all over and ignore it. let him fix the thing.

It's really cute that you guys care more about lulz on the internet than actual human beings living in that house.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

kid sinister posted:

Now that I reported you to your city's building division who will make you actually follow through, I feel better already.

It's really cute that you guys care more about lulz on the internet than actual human beings living in that house.

Stop snitchin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Nice hotel bedroom OP

Please post more pictures of your DIY palace

• Locked thread