Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

ironblock posted:

I did try to make one, once. A spreadsheet. It was a few years ago, and I was easily able to climb over $20k. I'd estimate it's closer to $30k today, but slowing down as I run out of things to buy. The last big ticket items I could concievably spend money on are an OS Giken LSD ($1800), and maybe a transmission rebuild ($1500).

To give you some context, here's what I bought today:

pre:
Name                                      Price      Qty
Side Molding Clip Set                     $44.00      1
Wiper blades                              $29.00      1
Glove Box Kit                             $49.00      1
Water temperature sender w/ Metric nut    $26.00      1
U20 Fuel Pump                            $148.00      1
Fuel Tank Sending Unit O-Ring              $4.00      1
Gas cap rubber gasket                      $5.00      1
160˚ Thermostat                           $13.00      1
Freeze Plug Kit                           $25.00      2
Timing Set                               $209.00      1
Roller Rockers                           $520.00      1
5 Speed Gasket Kit                        $79.50      1
Fuse Box Cover                            $79.00      1
Door Stop Rubber                          $15.75      1
Red Doe Skin Vinyl                        $36.95      1
Oil Pressure Sending Unit                $111.00      1

Add in tax, shipping, and a $250 core charge on the rocker assy, and you're looking at ~$1700 in parts. So, resto-modding a car like this basically ends up being one or two dozen orders like that, spread out over 3-5 years.

In other words, in terms of monthly outlay, it's broadly comparable to buying a 124 Spider with no money down and a 5 year loan (except that the Fiat would have a warranty (which it would need)).

In other, other words, it shouldn't surprise you that my other hobby is retro gaming. :retrogames:

This is where I am with my e30. I'm giving up on my 24v swap (because CA smog) and am going to build a 2.8l m20 and the dollar signs are depressing :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread