Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallendragoness
Mar 10, 2017
Hey all! I have recently gotten multiple new replacement laptops, all of which have an issue while playing world of warcraft. I've read a lot on the wow forums about their lack of support for the 10 series of nvidea cards... which is ridiculous in and of itself, but I am wondering if maybe there is something I'm overlooking that could be causing these black screen flashes.

Summary of the issue:
- Screen flashes for a second to black then goes back to normal right after as if nothing happened.
- Brand new computer, went through several replacements only to find that the blizzard people said "we don't support advanced video cards yet, that's probably the issue"
- Some people on the forums DON'T seem to have the issue, so I feel like there is a way to get around it but I can't figure it out.
- I've updated all the drivers to the newest drivers available.
- I've altered settings in the game
- I've turned off the xbox live recording option that comes on windows systems now
- I turned off the optimization program that comes in the nvidea experience
- All settings in the video card are set for high performance.

I'm wondering what exactly causes a video card to have this sort of issue? IS it catching up to a weird frame rate from the game? I've never had this kind of issue before, so it seems kind of weird.

Any thoughts or ideas to try would be super great! Thanks for any help provided in advance! I can also try to provide you with more information if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Please post your system specs, there's a sticky Rules thread with a template to use. Mostly we need to know more information about your computer to give any helpful advice, it's kind of like asking about your car without saying what car you have.

Fallendragoness
Mar 10, 2017
Hello, thanks for replying! Sorry for posting wrong. Here is the additional info I was missing:

Windows 10, 64 bit.

It is a MSI gaming laptop, the model number is a GT62VR 6RE 087US BB7670H16G1T0DX10MH Dominator Pro. It has a Nvidia GTX 1070 graphics card that has 8gb of dedicated ram GDDR5, 16gb of ram, 256gb SSD that the game is running on. It has a intel core i7 6700mhz processor.

I feel like it should be able to blow wow out of the water without any issues.

When I run the system monitor the temperatures never get over 65-70 range while the cooling system is on, usually it's closer to 55-60.

I am located in the United States.

I have googled so much about this problem, called the tech support at MSI who had me do a few things like install new drivers and re-update all the windows update and do a factory reset. These all did not work.

I also checked the wow forums and tried some of the things they are doing with weird wow issues that are related to graphics cards, it just seems so weird that the screen would flash to black if it's just due to wow not supporting it specifically.

This is the third iteration of this laptop I've had that has been doing it(i have exchanged 2 and this is the third), and I'm starting to think it's something that I have set up wrong that is causing this black screen versus something that is wrong with the devices. Can the whole screen flash to black due to wow not supporting it? It just seems so weird to me, but I obviously don't know things about computers.

If you need anything else please let me know! Thanks for helping in advance!

Fallendragoness fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 17, 2017

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Its it quite literally only World of Warcraft this happens with? Have you been able to replicate the issue elsewhere?

Fallendragoness
Mar 10, 2017
I am planning to download and check with overwatch this weekend. I'm not sure if that would help since that is still through blizzard. The only game I've been playing so far is wow since I've had these new computers. I haven't had it happen while watching youtube videos or media site videos for school.

So I haven't had anything that really stressed the card at all besides wow. I'll report back after I try some overwatch this weekend though!

It's just strange because the whole screen blacks while I'm playing. It doesn't seem like it's just in the wow window.

Fallendragoness fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 17, 2017

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I recall an issue similar to this with another nvidia card. If i remember correctly, changing the physx setting from GPU to CPU fixed it. From the settings menu from the nvidia software which is installed with the drivers.

Might be worth a shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallendragoness
Mar 10, 2017
Switched it over, I'll see if it makes any difference. I didn't notice it in overwatch, but I also didn't play for a really long time compared to what I do in wow... so not sure if it was just incidental or truly not there. This black screen usually only happens very sparsely... maybe once a day.

• Locked thread