Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Problem description: After using my iMac for about an hour this afternoon, it abruptly disconnected from the WiFi and won't reconnect. trying to rejoin just meets me with a message saying 'the network cannot be joined'.

Attempted fixes: I called Apple support and they had no idea; I've restarted it (and the router), shut it down, shut it down and unplugged it, started it in safe mode, and reset the NV RAM (???). nothing's worked. i've also deleted and re-added the wifi option thing under network and made my computer forget the various wifi networks. i know it's not the router itself since a) i have three other Apple devices connected to it without issue and B) i can't connect to any other wifi networks, either; I tried my neighbor's network and hotspots on two iphones

i can't imagine it's a hardware problem, as thing's just been sitting on my desk without moving for almost a year and hasn't been dropped, spilled upon or otherwise manhandled in that time. the Apple support woman said I'd just have to cart it into the store tomorrow; she thought it might be a result of my lack of software updates (though my girlfriend's macbook pro is running 10.10.5 and she can connect without issue)

Recent changes: none, except for moving some image files from an external hard drive and then deleting them after photoshopping a couple

--

Operating system: el capitan 10.11.3

System specs: 21.5 inch late 2015 imac, 1.6 ghz intel core i5

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

thanks for the help

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Not to sound snarky, but it could quite easily be a hardware problem. Wifi cards are essentially small radios, and they can fail over time. While I've generally had good luck with my own hardware, I had to replace a fair number of wifi cards when I was doing computer service.

What support told you about updates isn't completely unreasonable, either. Do you have an ethernet cable available? Could you connect the iMac to your router using it and see if you can get online and install whatever updates are waiting?

From what you've said it sounds like you can see wifi networks, it just fails to connect - the above is posted with that assumption in mind.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not to sound snarky, but it could quite easily be a hardware problem. Wifi cards are essentially small radios, and they can fail over time. While I've generally had good luck with my own hardware, I had to replace a fair number of wifi cards when I was doing computer service.

Well, I'm still under limited warranty, so if that's the case they'll hopefully replace it.

quote:

What support told you about updates isn't completely unreasonable, either. Do you have an ethernet cable available? Could you connect the iMac to your router using it and see if you can get online and install whatever updates are waiting?

From what you've said it sounds like you can see wifi networks, it just fails to connect - the above is posted with that assumption in mind.

I don't have an ethernet cable, no; Apple support suggested the same thing. And yeah, I can see all of the networks in the area but can't connect to any.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Can you connect to WiFi from the recovery partition?

• Locked thread