Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Cicero posted:

freecodecamp.com,
Preface this with I have never done fcc and think web dev is insufferable.

I am involved in a tiny online community that exists solely to motivate people trying to learn to code and change careers later in life. Everyone starts with freecodecamp and some people (2) are progressing very rapidly through it. We have an insane turnover rate on people trying to learn to code but leaving when it gets difficult.

The two people who are getting through freecodecamp love it because it helps them build a portfolio while they develop skills. One person feels like it doesn't teach you but instead gives you a paragraph and tells you to go off on your own. In my opinion that is where it excels, you have to go find out the answers to work on these projects and as you progress your portfolio grows and when you go seeking employment you have something to show instead of just saying " Yeah I can code react dudebro, I read a book on Ecma Script too".

One of the biggest issues we see is people getting stuck in doing the projects in the beginning quarter, before the first certificate and then quitting coding altogether, or quitting FCC to go drift away aimlessly through PDF's and books for months and then coming out being able to talk about coding but not being able to write a line.
FCC if done all the way through gives you so many more hours coding then perhaps those web dev bootcamps due because it is significantly longer--but if you are are going to sit at home jerking off and watching anime, then you may be better off with something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread