Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Hi all,

I'm trying to gradually teach myself web design, as my career is in eCommerce and I want to look at the guts of my platform and better understand how it works, where I need to look for what, and what can and can't be done. Plus hey, resume and upskilling, right?

I'm working through w3school and playing with my company-assigned sandbox, but I was wondering if there were any hints, tips, or recommended tools out there that I can use to boost my learning. My platform is built with Bootstrap and AJAX, and I have really basic HTML functionality knowledge, but am working on styling as that's where my major lacking is.

Are there any other resources I should pursue, any clients that work well (and are ideally free for personal use, as this is a weekend project), or anything I should know getting into this? What order should I approach this with?

Currently I use:
Filezilla
Sublime Text Editor

and white wine.

Thanks.

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Scudworth posted:

Your description of what you want to learn is front end development, not design, unless you're sticking hard to CSS and learning typography and colour theory.
Knowing this will help you.

Yeah true. Sorry for lack of clarity!

• Locked thread