Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru is the 2009 sequel to Umineko, and the second half of the story. The first four episodes introduced the central mystery of the identity of the Golden Witch, Beatrice, and the search for the truth of what happened on Rokkenjima. In the episodes to come, all will be revealed at last. Maybe.

Chiru is not yet available on Steam, so I'll be using a fan-translation this time. When it comes out, I urge you all to shove your wallets all over it immediately.

• If you haven't read the previous LP, none of this will make any sense for you. Go do that right away, it's a wild ride.
  • Screenshot LP, music and video links throughout. These links will be optional, but the music is even better this time than it was in the first game, and the voice acting is stellar.
  • Updates will be guaranteed every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Whenever my backlog of prepared updates is 10 or more posts long, I'll kick it up to a daily schedule. Any breaks from this pattern will be announced in advance if possible.
  • Unlike with the previous thread, the videos and posts will finally be using the same translation. Three cheers for consistency!
  • If you really want to see a video for a specific scene, request it in the thread. If there's enough interest, I'll edit the post to add it.
  • Hoo boy.

Why is everything so low-res now?
Episodes 2-4 in the last thread used the Umineko Project release. Sadly, that version of the game doesn't cover Chiru, so we're back to PC version resolution.

What's with all the weirdly-formatted text?
Umineko makes heavy use of significant, colored text. SA doesn't allow colored text in posts, so I am forced to improvise. Red text is represented with bold courier, and blue text is represented with italics courier.

What's the spoiler policy?
None. Not even the slightest small spoilers are permitted. Don't talk about events or characters that have not yet appeared in the story. Do not say "this scene is so important in hindsight" or "I can't wait to see the thread react to the impending big twist" or anything of the sort. Do not post spoilers disguised as speculation. Umineko is, on several levels, a whodunit murder mystery, so speculation and theorycrafting are most of the fun. Don't ruin that.

But I have a burning need to discuss spoilers!
Luckily for you, we have an open-spoiler Discord chat, for veteran witches to come in and discuss the game and laugh as the thread newbies stumble just inches short of uncovering the truth again and again. Do not join unless you have already experienced the entire game, start to finish.

I'm going to post something that looks innocuous, but in hindsight will turn out to have been a clever secret spoiler!
Don't.

What about Higurashi spoilers?
These are fine, but black bar them.

Special thanks to poorweather for helping out with identifying music links during episode 8.

Episode 5: End of the Golden Witch
Part 1: Prologue
Part 2: Magic of Miracles
Part 3: Magic of Miracles II
Part 4: A Proper Mystery
Part 5: A Proper Mystery II
Part 6: Closed Room Barrier
Part 7: Furudo Erika
Part 8: Witch of Miracles
Part 9: Witch of Miracles II
Part 10: Those Who Reach It
Part 11: The Frantic Golden Drama
Part 12: The True Family Conference
Part 13: The True Family Conference II
Part 14: Revenge for 19 Years Ago
Part 15: Morning of Tragedy
Part 16: Morning of Tragedy II
Part 17: Ten Wedges to Pierce Witches
Part 18: Ten Wedges to Pierce Witches II
Part 19: Ten Wedges to Pierce Witches III
Part 20: Ten Wedges to Pierce Witches IV
Part 21: Reasoning and Inspection
Part 22: Reasoning and Inspection II
Part 23: Closet
Part 24: Closet II
Part 25: The Great Court of Illusions
Part 26: The Great Court of Illusions II
Part 27: The Great Court of Illusions III
Part 28: The Great Court of Illusions IV
Part 29: The Great Court of Illusions V
Part 30: The Great Court of Illusions VI
Part 31: Revenge After 19 Years
Tea Party
????
???? II
???? III

Episode 6: Dawn of the Golden Witch
Part 2: The Witch of Theatregoing
Part 3: Game Master
Part 4: Game Master II
Part 5: True Feelings
Part 6: The Annoying Guest
Part 7: The Annoying Guest II
Part 8: The Source of Magic
Part 9: The Lovers
Part 10: The Lovers II
Part 11: Magic of a Different Interpretation
Part 12: Magic of a Different Interpretation II
Part 13: Zepar and Furfur
Part 14: Zepar and Furfur II
Part 15: Self-Reliance
Part 16: Self-Reliance II
Part 17: Romantic Regrets
Part 18: Romantic Regrets II
Part 19: The Fate of Those Who Do Not Fight
Part 20: The Fate of Those Who Do Not Fight II
Part 21: About the Crime Scene
Part 22: About the Crime Scene II
Part 23: Detective Proclamation
Part 24: Detective Proclamation II
Part 25: A Small Contradiction
Part 26: A Small Contradiction II
Part 27: Logic Error
Part 28: Logic Error II
Part 29: Logic Error III
Part 30: The Demon Wedding Ceremony
Part 31: The Demon Wedding Ceremony II
Part 32: The Demon Wedding Ceremony III
Part 33: The Demon Wedding Ceremony IV
Part 34: The Duel of the Lovers
Part 35: Red and Blue Truth
Part 36: Red and Blue Truth II
Part 37: Red and Blue Truth III
Part 38: Red and Blue Truth IV
Tea Party
????

Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch
Part 2: The Murder of Beatrice
Part 3: Rosa's Confession
Part 4: Rosa's Confession II
Part 5: Ushiromiya Kinzo
Part 6: Salo Republic
Part 7: The Witch who Came from the Sea
Part 8: The Witch who Came from the Sea II
Part 9: The Birth of Beatrice
Part 10: The Birth of Beatrice II
Part 11: Ghost Story of the VIP Room
Part 12: Ghost Story of the VIP Room II
Part 13: Here's the Culprit
Part 14: A New Life
Part 15: The First Friend
Part 16: Days Enraptured
Part 17: New Days
Part 18: New Days II
Part 19: A New Element
Part 20: A New Element II
Part 21: Days of Trial
Part 22: Days of Trial II
Part 23: Sprout of Love, Root of Love
Part 24: Sprout of Love, Root of Love II
Part 25: Journey to the Golden Land
Part 26: Journey to the Golden Land II
Part 27: Journey to the Golden Land III
Part 28: The Day the Witch Revived
Part 29: The Day the Witch Revived II
Part 30: Breakdown of the Witch Illusion
Tea Party
Tea Party II
Tea Party III
Tea Party IV
Tea Party V
Tea Party VI
????

Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch
Part 2: To Rokkenjima
Part 3: Six-Year-Old Ange
Part 4: Returning the Gold
Part 5: Halloween Party
Part 6: Halloween Party II
Part 7: Quiz Tournament (Kinzo's Question)
Part 8: Quiz Tournament (Hideyoshi's Question)
Part 9: Quiz Tournament (Eva's Question)
Part 10: Quiz Tournament (Gohda's Question)
Part 11: Quiz Tournament (Kumasawa's Question)
Part 12: Quiz Tournament (Nanjo's Question)
Part 13: Quiz Tournament (Genji's Question)
Part 14: Quiz Tournament (Natsuhi's Question)
Part 15: Quiz Tournament (Krauss's Question)
Part 16: Quiz Tournament (Kanon's Question)
Part 17: Quiz Tournament (Shannon's Question)
Part 18: Quiz Tournament (Rosa's Question)
Part 19: Quiz Tournament (Maria's Question)
Part 20: Quiz Tournament (Kyrie's Question)
Part 21: Quiz Tournament (Rudolf's Question)
Part 22: Quiz Tournament (Jessica & George's Question)
Part 23: Quiz Tournament (Finale)
Part 24: Banquet of Witches and Humans
Part 25: Banquet of Witches and Humans II
Part 26: Bern's Puzzle
Part 27: Challenging Bern
Part 28: The Visitor Who Came Late
Part 29: The Visitor Who Came Late II
Part 30: The Visitor Who Came Late III
Part 31: Black Cat Scratch Marks
Part 32: Black Cat Scratch Marks II
Part 33: Black Cat Scratch Marks III
Part 34: Hachijo Toya
Part 35: Hachijo Toya II
Part 36: The Book of the Truth
Part 37: The Book of the Truth II
Part 38: Hachijo Ikuko
Part 39: Hachijo Ikuko II
Part 40: Siege of the Fleet
Part 41: Siege of the Fleet II
Part 42: Siege of the Fleet III
Part 43: Ange's Choice
Part 44: Ange's Choice II
Part 45: Ange's Choice III
Trick Ending
Magic Ending
Tea Party
????

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Profile Archive
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8

Episode 5 TIPS
Eiserne Jungfrau
The Red Key
The Blue Key
Knox's Decalogue

Episode 6 TIPS
Duel Pistol Set

Episode 7 TIPS
SSVD

Guest Updates (courtesy of tiistai, oath2order and archaeo)
Arigato for 556
The Witches' Tanabata isn't that Sweet
Game Master Battler!
Beach Party of the Golden Witch
Cornelia the New Priest (cont'd)
Valentine's Day Letters

Side Content Index
Kinzo's Question (Wrong Answer)
Hideyoshi's Question (Wrong Answer)
Eva's Question (Wrong Answer)
Gohda's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Kumasawa's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Nanjo's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Genji's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Natsuhi's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Krauss's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Kanon's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Shannon's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Rosa's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Maria's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Kyrie's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Rudolf's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)
Jessica & George's Question (Wrong Answer) (Eva's Hint)

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 7, 2018

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Good morning. Please enjoy this game, with its new Game Master.

However, this game has already reached its climax. The culprit has been cornered, and it's only a matter of time before the end. You should be able to use this clearer perspective to spot something.

The difficulty is fairly easy. What could possibly fool you now?

BGM: Miragecoordinator

BGM: Voiceless

The color of the glittering flower petals on the rose bushes was... that of gold. The group of gold butterflies which had once danced through this golden rose garden like fluttering rose petals... could no longer be seen anywhere...

She could be called inhumane and cruel. Arrogant and outrageous. And also, naive and simple. That laugh of hers, which lost its grace more and more the longer it continued, could no longer be heard.

The Golden Witch Beatrice... sat like a doll, resting in a deck chair adorned as beautifully as the golden rose garden. She wasn't relaxing there. Her eyes were empty. She didn't respond to any questions. Even so, she was not permitted to sleep. Beatrice sat like a doll...

If she had been complaining about this and that regarding her hairstyle, then it would have been clear that she was the usual Beato. However, she made no response, and showed no reaction. So instead, it only looked like Virgilia was combing the golden hair of a large doll...

Alongside them, there was a table.

However, something about this setup looked different from normal chess. It might have been a game similar to chess but not identical.

...No, perhaps he wasn't thinking of his next move. Every once in a while, he would change the positions of the pieces, reconsidering the situation each time he changed it. Maybe he was reconstructing previous arrangements, trying to discover the thought process behind those moves. In the past... Kinzo, the Ushiromiya family head, once likened learning chessboard arrangements to taking a journey through the thoughts of the old masters.

Ushiromiya Battler... was on a journey. A journey in search of the Golden Witch's thought process... which had led her to create this arrangement and make these moves. Battler took a black piece which should have been moved forward... and returned it to its original place, sighing deeply. Battler's pieces were white. However, on that chessboard, Battler's side was the black encampment. He was reconstructing that arrangement, trying to play Beato's side...

Even Battler... didn't expect that Beato would respond to that statement. No, thinking that there might still be a chance of her responding, he had spoken that as though talking to himself.

"..."

After begging him to kill her, the Golden Witch had become a corpse which had given up on living. She wasn't sleeping. She could not step down from this game and was therefore forbidden sleep. So she must have heard. However, the words probably hadn't reached her heart. Right now, the Golden Witch would not sneer at Battler's moves, nor would she praise them or belittle them. Beatrice was no longer... anything more than a living doll.

Even so, she would glance at him every once in a while. It would be an empty glance, but a glance nonetheless. Sometimes, she would seem to make some sort of gesture or even move her lips. However, her movements were never able to communicate anything to Battler...

"..."
"...Beato. Battler-kun is talking to you..."
"..."
"...Say something. Try giggling or guffawing. I don't even care if you use that shrill laugh of yours."

...Can it be believed...? That shrill laugh of Beato's... will never be heard again. However, even if she couldn't answer, his voice surely reached her. Battler had spoken because he believed this. So he said the same thing one more time...

"How did you decide on this move in this situation? I don't get it at all. I don't understand your moves."
"...So, you don't understand what this child is thinking?"

Virgilia answered in her disciple's stead. Up to this point, she had done her best to avoid speaking for Beato. After all, there was a chance that Beato would respond in some way, and Virgilia didn't want to be the one to steal that chance away. So, Battler would have to bear with this silence... until Beato herself answered.

Virgilia could no longer bear to watch Battler like this... Furthermore, Battler wanted to have a conversation with Virgilia. They believed that this would reach Beato's heart...

"Yep. I don't have a clue. The more I try standing in Beato's shoes and moving the pieces like this, the less I understand."

In past arrangements, I could see several incomprehensible moves that clearly conflicted with that victory condition...

"...I don't get it at all. This journey through her thinking process is just too rugged."
"Even so, you won't give up, will you."
"Yeah. I promised."

"I promised to let her die peacefully. And I'm the only one who can do that."

...Beato's right ankle was bound with a heavy, cold, steel shackle. It wasn't tied to anything, so it didn't restrict her movement. However, it symbolized restriction. It was a visualization of the restriction that prevented her from leaving the game without either victory or loss...

And, the shackle was probably... hurting her. The mercilessly cold shackle tormented her over and over inside her waking dream.

So no relief appeared in her empty expression. Her eyelids would sometimes tremble like she was having a bad dream, and every once in a while, she would let out a pained gasp.

Unless I win, Beato will never be released from the curse that prevents her from sleeping peacefully...

"...Are you not in a hurry? It seems that the 5th game has already started."
"...I'm not interested."

Why should I take part in any game without Beato as an opponent...? If that's the only alternative, then reconstructing previous arrangements while taking a journey in search of Beato's thought process is a much better use of my time...

"...I have tons of them. Beato conceded the fight and is unconscious. Isn't this loss by default and 'game over' for her...?"
"I'll admit that a lot's happened to Beato, and it feels like she's been knocked out right now."
"But that doesn't mean she's lost the will to fight. That's why I'm acting as her assistant. Get it?"

Beato was lying down on the deck chair, almost as though she was sleeping. However, she wasn't sleeping, and she wasn't awake either. She was nothing more than a living doll that had given up on victory, who had asked Battler to perform her last rites, and who had surrendered everything...

Of course, if everyone just sat around, the next game... the 5th game would not be prepared. So, Lambdadelta had succeeded Beato as the next Game Master and proclaimed that she would prepare the next game.

"No one asked your opinion."
"What'll you do, Bern? Accept it? Or not?"
"...Sure. Go and succeed her position."
"What the hell... quit messing around. I don't know who you two are, but I'm not gonna let you ignore Beato and me and just carry on by yourselves!"
"Calm down. Of course, when the player changes, then so will the moves."
"There might be a lot of things that are confusing to you, but even those might become some big hints, get it?"
"Who cares?!! Quit saying whatever you want and deciding everything on your own!!"
"...Beato's game has repeated four times, and you still don't understand anything, right? In that case, I think that changing the player might lead to some huge hints."
"That's none of your business! This is our game! Beato prepared it, and she designated me to be her opponent in it. I don't know what hole you two crept out of, but I don't want you screwing things up!"
"...In that case, wake Beato up and make her get the next game ready. Can you...?"
"B, Beato won't be getting up for a while. But there's no need for a new game. Just the four games that she has already laid out are more than enough! Even if there is to be a 5th game, it just needs to be something that Beato lays out and I challenge. You two have absolutely nothing to do with this!"

It looked like these witches were of an even higher rank than Beato, so high, in fact, that even Beato's teacher Virgilia couldn't even come close. Battler had the feeling that he'd seen these two several times before. However, this was the first time he had known their names and spoken to them directly.

"You can't get the next game ready without waking Beato. That's why I'll prepare the next game!"
"We aren't so patient that we're willing to wait however long we have to for Beato to regain consciousness. Right, Bern?"
"...I don't like boredom. It really ticks me off."
"We really don't care whether you get bored or not."
"Come on now. Leave everything to this <perfect> Lambdadelta-sama, okay? I'll take over as the Game Master."
"DON'T WORRY, I won't play with too much 'certain perfection'. Just like Beato, I'll prepare plenty of incomprehensible fakes, clues, and bonus hints. I'll give you some big hints to help you understand Beato's world even more, okay?"

Letting my voiceless emotions explode, I slammed the table hard. The two witches didn't flinch at all. One grinned. The other looked indifferent, as though nothing had happened. The two of them just stared at me silently. As though they were reproaching me.

"What's this? Not satisfied? Are you saying you'll step down from my 5th game? Isn't that loss by default?"
"...Battler won't step down. Of course he'll participate in the 5th game."
"Don't just decide that yourself!! I'm not gonna play along with you two. I don't give a poo poo!"
"Hmmm... Then it really is loss by default, right...? The witch side wins this game. Is it really alright to end this with the humans surrendering...?"

When Bernkastel mentioned Ange, Battler's expression changed instantly.

"Y, you bastard, don't talk about Ange so casually..."
"...Because you have me, the Witch of Miracles Bernkastel, as your ally, there exists the possibility of a miracle in which Ange's family might come home to her. Well, even if you throw that chance away yourself and guarantee that Ange's endless futures will all end in sorrow, that might be pretty interesting too."

I vaguely understood what she was saying. Until I win in Beato's game, I'll remain trapped in this bizarre world. And if I abandon that victory, then most certainly, my parents and I will never return to Ange. For Ange's sake, even though I know that the witches are toying with me, I must keep on fighting...

"Nn, d, drat..."
"...What's wrong? You look unsatisfied. Did you already forget the anger you felt when your sister was turned into mincemeat...? That spectacle where she was torn to bits, ripped to pieces by countless red-hot pliers. Make sure you watch closely this time, okay...?"

Bernkastel pointed the palm of her right hand upwards. As she did, a pale light gathered there, and some kind of blue-glowing crystal appeared there. A scene was reflected on its sharp surface, but it wasn't the scene that surrounded them now. If you looked deep into that crystal, that Fragment, then you would probably learn what was reflected on there.

"D, drat... you..."

Without thinking, he grabbed at her collar, but as soon as he touched that which made up her form, it disappeared like foam on the waves. And then, as naturally as though she had been there from the beginning, Bernkastel was leaning against a distant wall.

Battler's fists shook with anger, but even if he swung them down, he wouldn't be able to hit Bernkastel. This witch wouldn't even let someone pet her if she didn't wish for it, like a cat or a phantom. And, she was telling the truth. For Ange's sake, I can't step down from this fight. Even if these unpleasant witches hijack the game board.

"Ehheheheheh. That's just like you, Be~rn. You're even heartless when you threaten people."
"...That's how it is, Battleer. You aren't allowed to step down from the game board. You and Beato are nothing more than pieces on the game board that exist to distract us from our boredom. Even your incomprehensible anger and irritation make for a wonderful treat to sate our boredom."
"Well, this level of anger only makes for a cheap snack."
"...Like those curry-flavored potato wafers that sell at 30 yen for a pair."

"Y, you drat... witches..."
"...*giggle*. Fight for Ange's sake, okay? And for Beato's too, right...?"

In a way that was admonishing, or perhaps babying, and similar to the way something too sweet sometimes gives you a headache, Bernkastel tormented Battler and smiled. At this point in time, the host of this tea party, Beato, was absent. The guest witches were already making themselves at home.

"...What'll you do, Ushiromiya Battleer? Will you surrender to fate...?"
"..."
"Just step down. You've had enough of being toyed with as a witch's piece, right? Eheheheheh, it sure is tough being one of Bern's pieces."
"I'm sure she'll use you and throw you away just like she did with Ange. Geheheheheh!"
"I'm not giving you the option of stepping down. Keep fighting for the sake of your sister's future."
"I'm your ally. Until you win, I'll support you so that you can reach that future... for all eternity, until I get bored. *giggle*giggle*."

I can't let her provocation and cajolery rile me up... These witches know I get mad easily, and they're trying to take advantage of that... Battler withstood it all, and finally relaxed his clenched fists.

"Yes, I will do whatever I want."
"...Hey, where are you goi~ng?"

Even though Battler acknowledged this 5th game, he turned his back on them, which surprised Lambdadelta a bit.

"If you're going to be Beato's substitute, then I'm sure that Bernkastel witch over there can be mine if she wants."
"...Not a bad idea. Otherwise, this'll turn into a loss by default."
"What the heck?! Are you gonna just ignore this Episode 5 that I put so much effort into making?! Rude, ruuude!"
"...Battler says he's going to take a break for a while. Until he comes back, I'll be the substitute player."
"How's that sound...? Battler...?"
"...You do that."
"..."
"...What's wrong, Lambda? So, you'll refuse to play if it's against me instead of that fool Battler...?"
"Ehheheheheh!! Of course not♪ I'm glad I get to play with you, Be~rn!"
"Come on, let's play, let's play! Let's play together in Lambdadelta-sama's super <hyper> and <cute> Episode 5~!"
"...Well, this really is a world that Beato created. You aren't going to ruin the atmosphere of the story, are you...?"
"Don't worry about that. I'm really good at reading between the lines for that sort of stuff. I made sure to use a Beato-ish atmosphere to make an even more interesting tale."
"Battler, make sure you come back as soon as your break's over, okay? It'd be a shame to miss this. I've prepared plenty of bonus hints that'll get him closer to Beato's secre~t♪"
"...Is what it'll look like but I'll actually fill it with misdirection and make things more and more confusi~ng."
"Wait, hey, Battleer! Why aren't you listening when a witch is talking?!"

Without answering, Battler disappeared into the darkness. After shrugging and cackling, the witches immediately started playing with the game board they had stolen from Beato...

BGM: Melody (instrumental)

"...Since they're using the same game board, they cannot do anything that this child cannot do. However, they can do things that this child wouldn't do."
"...What do you mean, things she wouldn't do?"
"The materials of chess exist so that you can play chess. You 'cannot' use them to play cards. However, things such as throwing the chess pieces at your opponent and scribbling on the board... Doing such things is not impossible. However, that would be blasphemy against the game of chess, so people 'don't do that'."
"..."

That definitely, wouldn't be chess anymore. It looked like Beato's eyes clouded very slightly with sadness.

"...drat them. This game is between me and Beato. I won't let anyone else profane it."

At that time, gold butterflies gathered and Ronove, holding a tea set with black tea, appeared.

"...If you wouldn't mind."
"Certainly. So, how has this journey of yours in search of Milady's thoughts been?"
"I don't have a clue, but I'm enjoying it."
"However, is this really alright? Is it alright for you to relax here?"
"...You mean that game those witches just started all by themselves?"
"Yes. Just now, when I went to serve them some tea, the murders of the first twilight had already taken place, and it seemed as though the next murder would occur shortly."

When Beato and I were playing, the game would be paused whenever someone left their seats. However, those witches wouldn't pause that game just because I wasn't around...

"...Ronove, did you see their game?"
"Just a part of it."
"How was it?"

Ronove lifted the pot high with an elegant gesture as he poured the black tea. After finishing that, he finally said one thing. He let us hear his impression of it.

"...What do you mean, love?"
"My apologies. That's how it would be put if a woman were to say it. As a man, perhaps one could say it was dishonorable."

I understood what those words meant. When I met Virgilia's eyes, she shook her head slightly and stared at the floor...

"...At a glance, I believe it resembles Milady's games greatly. However, the foundation is very different."
"Does it go against the rules of Beato's game?"
"No, it does not. Lambdadelta-sama actually does understand the rules of Milady's game quite well. However..."
"..."

Battler stood up. There was no need to make Ronove say any more.

"Battler-kun..."
"...Sorry, Ronove. I know you went to all the trouble of pouring this for me, but tea isn't what I need."
"So, you will go after all?"

BGM: Dir

...These guys weren't even here in the beginning. Because I've been loafing about, crazier and crazier witches have been introduced, and now they've hijacked this game between me and Beatrice.

"I've got to take it back. Now, I'm supposed to be the one taking care of Beato's game board. That means I shouldn't just sit around here."
"...Thank you. I wanted to let this child hear those words."
"I'm sure she hears them. Milady is simply unable to answer."

Beato lay there silently, like a living doll with dull eyes... The game board that she had created herself had been hijacked by incomprehensible people and was being turned into a mess... If I was designated to be her opponent... Then Beato must have created this game for me.

I've... got to take it back.

"...Wait here. I'll go and take it back."
"..."

Of course, Beato didn't respond in any way. That's right. If she can't respond, then I have to protect it in her place.

"I'll be right back. Virgilia, Ronove. I'm counting on you two to look after this golden sleeping princess."
"Yes. Leave it to us."
"...See you later, Battler-kun. And please, in the game without this child, try to find some part of her. If you can, then even if this child is absent, it will mean that you have fought with her."
"...You're right. Aaah, it's all useless. What am I doing?"

In case you remember the translation I was using for the previous LP - what Umineko Project translated as "That's no good, that's no goddamn good", Witch Hunt translates as "It's useless, it's all useless." So, Battler's catchphrase is a little different from here on out.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, witches!! My break is over!!"

When he faced the jet-black heavens and yelled this, the whole world shattered, as though it were made out of thin glass. Then, as though it had been that way since the beginning, it transformed into that smoking room where Battler had fought Beato so many times, and which the two witches had now hijacked.

"...You never showed up, so I just advanced things on my own."

Yeah, like you ever even waited for me in the first place...

"Bern was waaay more skillful and thrilling than you were. Right?!"
"Shut up. I'm the player. You substitute witches can just take a step back now."
"...Well, I don't really mind if you join in starting now, but there's probably no need for you anymore."
"Seriously. After all, we're already at the climax! After this, Bern will probably corner me and win."
"What the hell...?!"
"...Nothing wrong with that, is there? Why don't we let him watch the final endgame?"
"Of course. Come on over, Ushiromiya Battler."
"It's almost completely over, but here's the <cute> and <elegant> game I made!"

BGM: None

BGM: Dead Angle

And, with one exception, it has been shown that none of them have committed murder. And, the culprit is among these people.

"...Whoa, whoa. In that case, it's conclusive, isn't it...?"
"Unless the culprit is a witch who committed murder with magic, that is..."
"...It was you?! You killed George, killed my husband?! Why?!! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!!"

"..."

In a panic, and with a voice that really couldn't be called flowing, in a manner that was, to put it coldly, unsightly... Aunt Natsuhi denied the suspicion placed upon her... However, there was no longer any way around it...

She stood up, brushed back her long hair, pointed at Aunt Natsuhi and said it one more time.

:siren:Video: Opening:siren:

LET'S PLAY UMINEKO CHIRU, EPISODE 5: END OF THE GOLDEN WITCH

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 17, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You've got Genji's death profile in there twice.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

ProfessorProf posted:

She stood up, brushed back her long hair, pointed at Aunt Natsuhi and said it one more time.

:siren:Video: Opening:siren:

LET'S PLAY UMINEKO CHIRU, EPISODE 5: END OF THE GOLDEN WITCH

MONTHS we waited to get past this.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Sindai posted:

You've got Genji's death profile in there twice.

My new thread is off to a great start.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Did... did Bern self-insert herself into the game?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
And what the crap is with her outfit?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ProfessorProf posted:

My new thread is off to a great start.
This but unironically.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

idonotlikepeas posted:

And what the crap is with her outfit?

Really? THIS is where you draw the line?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hahahahaha. That's a great start. Good call on Human Bern.

Is Bern basically going to be Poirot, and we jumped in right at the parlour scene?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ground floor on this wild ride.

Ya'll ready to accept it''s all witches yet?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

oath2order posted:

Really? THIS is where you draw the line?

It's just the latest in a series of crimes committed against fashion and good taste.

Dr Pepper posted:

hahahahaha

CottonWolf posted:

Is Bern basically going to be Poirot, and we jumped in right at the parlour scene?

Please let this be it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dr Pepper posted:

Actually, after the :master: that was Tiny Bombs at the end of the last thread, we should really be asking you whether you're willing to accept that you're all deluding yourselves, and witches aren't needed to explain ridiculous murders.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well Battler, please try to solve this quickly, so Bern and Lamba have to leave. Those two aren't as fun as Beatrice.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's just the latest in a series of crimes committed against fashion and good taste.

About that...

That outfit already existed.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Hahahahaha. That's a great start. Good call on Human Bern.

It's not like Battler was up to much. Honestly, he'd be much more happy as a Hastings.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
So Shannon and Kanon are in the same scene together, with Battler and Poirot-Lolita. Hmm. There goes that theory.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

:siren::syoon:HELL YEAH THE HEROINE IS HERE:syoon::siren:

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 17, 2017

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
drat Prof you're a machine.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tender Child Loins posted:

So Shannon and Kanon are in the same scene together, with Battler and Poirot-Lolita. Hmm. There goes that theory.

Not so. What if either Shannon or Kanon are in a Sakutarou situation, where one is imagining that the other one is there even though they don't exist? Wasn't the theory about Shannon and Kanon being the same person based on them not ever really being separate from each other?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
^^ Oh, now there's another idea... one of them might be imaginary; while we see them together here, there's no guarantee that they're both actually there until someone talks to them.

:aaa: Ye gods, Prof, when you said you were taking a break, I thought you meant a month or something... or at least a couple of weeks! And here you are, what, not even one week later? (This isn't me complaining, mind you; I am burning with curiosity as to where this is all going, and on my trips to the bookstore, I couldn't help but notice that the translation of the manga is past where we are now, by about an episode and a half, and I did not get the ones past Episode 4,* though I was sorely, sorely tempted to, but these threads are too much fun])

OK... Well, first thing I, it seems I was in fact off base with my assertion, because there Kanon and Shannon are, in the same room with Battler. So unless there's something else going on (or unless Shannon is more talented than I thought), they are two people on the island at once. They might still pretend to be each other, though, I like that theory too much to put it in the ground just yet, as well as the theory that they're totally working together... But Natsuhi is the culprit this time around? Whut?

drat it Battler, you should have stuck around more; I'm as aggravated by Cackler and Witchdorf as you are, but the last thing you want to do is let assholes like them control the playing field. They seem more and more like primordial rear end in a top hat gods than ever, and the games they play, as Sir Pterry described them, resemble Snakes and Ladders with greased rungs, but taking your ball and going home is not and has never been an option, and even Beatrice apparently knew that, since she set up the :"game board" and the rules without their help and input. Refusal to play the game is not resistance... but you're gonna do you, so let's just be thankful Blue and Red aren't doing anything crazy like adding more ill-dressed weirdos to the-

... now who the gently caress are you?

* But I did get everything else! And you are absolutely right, Prof: Kei Natsumi is the best artist for this)

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 17, 2017

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Finally, someone competent.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Thank goodness one of those genius child detectives is here to save us.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'm already lost but that's alright, this 5th game is already off to an interesting start. Like everyone else I'm wondering where this goofy child came from.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Fabulousvillain posted:

I'm already lost but that's alright, this 5th game is already off to an interesting start. Like everyone else I'm wondering where this goofy child came from.

Like every other mystery in the story, the answer is of course magic.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I hope you guys are ready, because she is literally the best character in this whole series.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Really, we're haven't even met this person yet.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
drat Prof, my life and your posting schedule move too fast for me to reread the whole thing. I did get through the first arc, and I can see reasonable and non-magical ways to commit the murders, but I can't point at one person and say "it could only be you!"

At the end of the last thread, the possibility that all this is happening in Maria's head was being discussed. That felt wrong to me; if we're in somebody's imagination, it's Ange's. She's the one who would make up different scenarios about what happened. She's obsessed with Maria's diary and witches, so she could be the one who wrote an account and put it in a bottle, years after the events. Battler's motivation is being depicted as wanting to return to her, when it would be far more natural for him to want to save his own life, or those of his parents and cousins. And it explains why we spent all that time in a flash forward, seeing her life, which is pretty pointless otherwise.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Everyone sees her, so this can't just be straight-up Bern. I guess it's possible there could be another person on the island, if the bodies were all so destroyed as to be unidentifiable. This is where the mathematical principles represented by those lolis come into play; it's unlikely that another person ended up there, but it could happen, so a story about the events at Rokkenjima can include an extra person or two if the storyteller likes.

I don't know that this story NEEDS more characters, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
It's Bernkastel's OC, Ushiromiya Fernkastel

EDIT: Theoretically, if the "protagonist" role has changed, the presence of an apparent extra person-not-a-witch could occur within the limits of the game structure; under those circumstances, this would literally be Bern's OC/protagonist-viewpoint, the way piece-Battler has (maybe) been meta-Battler's projection of himself into the narrative for the purposes of solving the mystery of Rokkenjima, and as long as Poirot-Bern doesn't see any witches, it all works out.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 18, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Fernkastel's fascinator is breathtakingly hideous.

I'm in love! Too bad there is no such thing as magic.

mrRedWhite
Feb 16, 2011
I'm glad that a real detective has finally arrived to sort this whole murder business out.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Ground floor on this one, woohoo!

AfroSquirrel posted:

About that...

That outfit already existed.

...oh god, why.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Worth looking at: the catface /cover version of the op

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtGTIqoMELYc

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Bernkastel's smiles are unnerving.

eta: Krauss isn't listed in the bodies or alive in the parlor.

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 18, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

curiousCat posted:

Odd.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Kinzo isn't anywhere either. And it's the first time the initial batch of murders have been spread out.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

curiousCat posted:

Simple. Krauss is human Bernkastel. It wouldn't be the first time that he took someone else’s identity (see: the previous game where he inherited Kinzo's name).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BurningStone posted:

Kinzo isn't anywhere either.

Well yeah he is dead.

EagerSleeper posted:

Simple. Krauss is human Bernkastel. It wouldn't be the first time that he took someone else’s identity (see: the previous game where he inherited Kinzo's name).

Wait was it confirmed it was Krauss who took Kinzo's name. (Or is this just a joke.)

• Locked thread