Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eleanore
Jun 18, 2013
Okay I have had a rest now. Considering the the comment about the game not having voice acting originally and the description of the voice not matching up at all with the actual sound of the voice, I'll ignore the Daisuke Ono bit for now.

What if the caller is Loli-Poirot from the beginning? The caller says they'll come to the conference and we know that she'll appear as an extra person. Maybe she's using some voice changer to gently caress with Natsuhi and the reason Natsuhi doesn't remember is because she'd expect the child to be a girl? Aaand scratch that because the caller said they are Natsuhi's son. But coming to the island and framing Natsuhi for murder would fit in with the revenge bit. Also maybe Loli-Poirot is a crossdresser idk.

Or maybe it really is Battler and Rudolf stole/extorted/had some agreement and took Natsuhi's baby because both Asumu and Kyrie had still births? Would require Asumu to have been in on it though.

Or this is a fantasy scene and there never was any phone call, or it was just a silent phone call and Natsuhi filled in all the blanks by herself because she's clearly losing her grip on reality anyway when it comes to Kinzo and everything. In which case its possible she had a baby before Jessica that died and all this magic talk about keeping the dead alive as ghost is bringing back memories of it. You know, I think I'll go with this one. It's the least insane one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Popping in just to say that it's a real bad sign when your disassociative personality starts disassociating in turn.

Sayo, it's ok to feel your feelings!! oh god :cry:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

October 4th, 1986, 11:00 AM

BGM: Doorway of Summer

"Are you kidding? For me, it just makes it a longer walk to the harbor, which is a real pain."
"Hahaha. That's a pretty luxurious worry."
"Uu-! Getting to say hi to the roses every morning, so awesome! You must get late after saying hi to so many roses...!"
"Shame about Ange though. I hear her stomach gets upset easily?"
"Apparently. It's probably her intestines that are weak. She's got diarrhea all over the place."
"Uu-. You shouldn't say something like that about a lady..."
"Ihihihihi, sorry about that. Yeah, I forgot, marshmallows are what comes out of a girl's butt, ri~ght? So, Ange got sick, and the marshmallows turned into syrup."
"Yeah, that's really-"
"-way too gross."

George and Jessica slammed a knee and a fist right into either side of Battler's gut.
*whack*, *smack*thud*. The *smack*thud* was probably the sound made when his knees hit the ground and he fell over. Normally, Battler possessed the good sense you'd expect of an 18 year-old man. However, it seemed that this reunion had brought him back to the mental age he had been six years ago. And bit by bit, Jessica and George realized that they were also returning to the way they'd been six years ago...

Natsuhi gazed at this (charming?) chat through an open window in the hall.

BGM: Sukashiyuri

"I'll go in just a bit. It isn't even lunchtime yet, and I'm already tired."

Just a few moments ago, the sparks had already started flying between them and Eva's group. The others had pounded on Krauss and Natsuhi over and over to get Kinzo out of his study... Apparently, they hadn't been fully tricked at last year's family conference after all...

"...There are... no problems with Father, right...?"
"Correct. Leave it to me. Shannon and Kanon are also fully aware of today's arrangements."
"...Kumasawa is a good liar, so I'm not worried about her, but I am a little concerned about Doctor Nanjo. I get the feeling he's bad at hiding things."
"...Leave that to me. I intend to support Doctor Nanjo from nearby as much as possible."
"It's very reassuring to have you there. It really helps a lot. Without your strength, we wouldn't be able to succeed."
"...I am honored by your words."

"...Yes, I understand. Still, you heard that conversation in the parlor just now, didn't you?"
"...Yes. It seems that some considerable suspicions were aroused last year. The terrible toxin has accumulated and is being spread all around."
"...It seems this year's conference really will be crucial."
"We might be able to overcome this year somehow, but there is such a thing as pushing our luck. It's probably best to assume that next year won't be manageable."
"...With this much of the magic-resisting toxin filling up the place, it will probably be difficult to preserve Lord Goldsmith's magic for yet another family conference."
"W, who are you?"
"Oh, no need to be surprised. This man serves as my head furniture."
"Greetings, Madam Natsuhi. My name is Ronove. It is a pleasure to meet you..."
"This man's reliable. He's also helping to guard the closed room barrier."
"...Is that so? I am Ushiromiya Natsuhi. I thank you for your cooperation."
"Of course, Madam. I will be aiding you from the magic world. Please rely on me."

"Ah, Gaap!! I'm glad to see that you're here as well!"
"...Well, I only came to have some fun. If you need an extra hand, let me know."
"Nice to meet you, Madam. This is the first time I've said hello, but I'm always right by anyone's side."
"Pu ku ku. Gaap here is quite the prankster... Remember that headache medicine you dropped on the floor of your room and lost as you were getting dressed? Gaap was the one behind that."
"Whenever you set something small down somewhere but can't find it later, it's always a good idea to suspect that it's one of her pranks. Long ago, she used to tease me all the time!"
"I, is that so? In any event, this is the Ushiromiya mansion. As long as you are here, you will obey us. You understand, correct?"
"Of course. We understand. Think of me as a Genji of the magic world, and please give me orders whenever you wish."
"...I'm pretty sure I know how to be a good guest. I won't let the landlord lose face."
"You can count on Ronove and Gaap. However, the magic world and the human world are two different sides of the same coin."
"I understand. Of course, I will do all I can in the human world. Let's work together and protect Father's secret."
"Yes."

BGM: Organ Short #200 Million in C Minor

"Hmm? Well, su~re. October 4th is like a preparation turn for me. If you don't feel like doing anything, why don't you just sit around until October 5th? I'll call you after the first six die. *giggle*giggle*...!"

...Of course, that was a very irritating way to say it. The fight won't start until the crime occurs. However, waiting for the crimes to start would mean turning a blind eye towards the murders of the first twilight. In other words, it would be the same as being content with the fact that six people would die...

"...Did you know? They say that in chess, the player who moves first is twice as likely to win."
"Although that can change as the tactics of the match progress. Don't they say that the second player has a much better chance at a draw?"
"...Even I know what 'the first to strike wins' means. Then what are you trying to say?"
"Pff, *giggle*giggle*! This is why you're so incompetent."

"You don't mean... No, but..."
"Heheheheheheh! ...Well, watch and see, Battler the incompetent!"
"*giggle*giggle*..."

I have a general idea what these witches are talking about. I've tried solving it several times myself in the past, but I still haven't found anything resembling an answer. On the contrary, I still can't even understand why that puzzle exists. That's right. The reason it exists. Why did Beato... prepare a puzzle like this in the first place...?

We all discussed it together from time to time inside the past games. However, I've started to avoid thinking about it under the assumption that there's no point in trying to solve a riddle that can't be solved. This time, I should change my viewpoint. I shouldn't just focus on the obvious parts... like the truth of the riddle and how to solve it. What's more important is why that riddle was set up in the first place and displayed for us to see. That's what I should be thinking about.

Even if I can't solve it, I should be able to try and figure out what Beato was thinking when she showed it to us. Alright... this time, I'm turning the chessboard over...

The witches keep calling me incompetent. Let them laugh. They aren't my enemies. I'm continuing our match. Beato...

BGM: Witch in Gold (cembalo)

"Sheesh... I wish I could keep the downpour limited to the inside of my heart."

The people in the parlor noticed that raindrops had started to drip down the window.

"So now, we have nowhere to run until the family conference ends."
"...The same thing goes for Nii-san. I won't let them escape, you can be certain of that... The cards we're holding aren't bad. Nii-san is just bluffing. I'll make certain that he surrenders..."
"Well, a deal isn't just about making your opponent lose. You've gotta get a pitfall ready, praise them a bit, and convince them to stand on it of their own accord."
"...Hideyoshi-san is right. We pressed them a little too hard last time, Eva nee-san."
"Th, that was perfectly reasonable considering it's Nii-san we're dealing with."
"Heh, looks like Rosa's fallen asleep."
"She was complainin' about how early she woke up this morning. Well, guess there's nothin' wrong with taking a nap."
"There's a chance we might be forced to spend all night on this. Getting a nap in now is probably a smart idea."

Out of consideration for Rosa, who had fallen asleep on a sofa, the others quietly left the parlor. Unaware of this, Rosa slept. After telling Maria to just stay where she was after that tantrum over not being able to find her rose, Rosa slept, unaware that the rain had started to fall...

Of course, Maria noticed that the rain had started falling and was soaking her to the bone. However, that just made her even more stubborn. Unable to find the poor, slightly unhealthy rose that she herself had marked, she just couldn't stand having that search be interrupted by something like the rain. So the more the rain fell on Maria, the more stubborn she grew, and she wandered around the rose beds...

As she did, from behind Maria's back, came a *patter*, *patter*. The sound of approaching footsteps. Then, the footsteps landed in a puddle, making a small splashing sound, and Maria finally heard. However, even the slight distraction that sound caused made her feel irritated, and Maria ignored it despite having heard it.

BGM: Golden Sneer

"...ah."

Maria turned around, bewildered. After all, that voice... was one she didn't recognize at all. On this sealed-off Rokkenjima, that voice belonged to no person she knew...

Krauss and Natsuhi had been privately discussing what should be done next in a deserted corridor on the third floor. Genji had searched everywhere for them.

"What is it? It must be something more urgent than a few sheets getting wet by the rain."
"What is it? Has there been some sort of blunder?"
"...A short while ago, someone came to the mansion... claiming to have drifted here after an accident at sea."

Krauss and Natsuhi couldn't help but go wide-eyed and look at each other. This was the first time they had ever heard of someone coming to this island uninvited.

"Someone drifted here...? Is that true? Poor thing. Treat this person politely, like a guest. What is happening now?"
"Doctor Nanjo is performing an examination. He hasn't finished yet, but from what I could tell by looking, the drifter seemed tired but uninjured."
"That's good. Natsuhi and I are having an important conversation right now. When it is over, we will go to check on this person. Please tell this drifter that we want them to feel at home."
"Certainly..."

When Genji bowed deeply and started to leave, Natsuhi called him to a stop. Genji stopped walking and Natsuhi jogged up to him...

"No. She is a young woman, about the same age as Milady."
"...A woman...? I see. Very well. Back to your work."

The parlor of the mansion was bustling. The adults gathered, worrying about the health of this sudden guest...

"...It always helps to be prepared. It's probably all thanks to the life jacket. Without that, she might have drowned."
"What kind of girl was she? Older or younger than George? Jessica?"
"She was younger than Jessica. She was wearing a life jacket and swimsuit. Looked like she was all tired out...!"
"Assuming she washed up somewhere near the harbor, that must've been a bit of luck amid disaster. It would've been terrible if she'd landed on the opposite side of the island..."
"...Still, you have to feel sorry for her. With this weather, the boats won't be coming. I imagine she'll also be stuck on this island all day tomorrow."

At that moment, the door clunked open and everyone looked in that direction.

BGM: None

It was Gohda and Kanon, with the latter pushing a serving cart laden with a tea set. Gohda understood well that doing a little extra at times like this would earn him points. The relatives, hungry for information, crowded around Gohda...

Gohda ordered Kanon to serve the tea and became the sole object of the relatives' attention.

"Gohda-san, how's that kid doing? Does she seem well...?"
"W, well, I don't know about that. But there is no need to worry...! Doctor Nanjo is giving his full attention to taking care of her, and Kumasawa and Shannon are with him. Please, do not worry. Why not relax with some black tea for now...? Come, Kanon-san. Quickly, quickly, serve it, serve it."
"...Geez.. why do I..?"

Kanon knew that this tea was just Gohda's way of earning points, so he lined the cups up with a slightly sullen air.

"Uu-. I'll help too."
"...I, it's alright. You can just wait there, Maria-sama."
"Uu-! I wanna serve tea too-!"
"Didn't you talk with Doctor Nanjo? Did he say anything?"
"Yes. When I met him a short while ago, he said that there weren't any serious external wounds... And from what I could tell at a glance..."

Of course, Nanjo instantly became the center of attention. Kanon turned his back on Gohda, who seemed downhearted.

"Doctor Nanjo...! How is her condition...?! Does it look like she'll be alright?"
"Not to worry, everyone... She is fine. She had no injuries at all. It seems that she is quite worn out, but there shouldn't be anything to worry about tonight, as long as she doesn't develop a fever."
"That's good to hear. We're lucky enough to have a doctor, but this is no hospital."

Everyone was relieved to hear that the girl was in good health... When Nanjo gave the more detailed results of his examination, concluding by saying that she was young and should therefore be fine, everyone who no longer fell under this description nodded in assent.

"...Uu-. Boats really are scary. Fa-ll, fa-ll. Battler was right..."
"Maria-chan, let's not tell Battler-kun about this."
"Oh, Madam! Krauss-sama!"

Gohda, who had lost his nerve and was handing out cups, called out in an excessively loud voice. Apparently, he was that desperate to get everyone's attention.

"Yes sir! Her condition is not serious."
"I see, that's great. Where is she now...?"
"I believe Kumasawa-san and Shannon-san were guiding her to the bath. And they said they would get her some clothes afterwards."
"In that case, they will probably arrive here soon. Everyone. This may be the day of the family conference, but we have a guest brought here by an unfortunate accident. She wasn't invited, but I want you all to welcome her."
"Who could disagree with that? I'm all for it."
"Same here. Didn't Mom always tell us to be nice to girls?"
"You take that line way too far."
"...It's probably best if we call George and the rest over here too. Let's all greet her together."
"Well... wouldn't that just make her feel more timid...?"

Eva stood up and made a phone call to the guesthouse. At that moment, they heard the sound of a knock, followed by Genji's voice.

At those words, everyone fell into silence, and the people who had been sitting stood up straight. Genji came in first, opening the door slowly... then moved off to the side, bowing deeply and urging the guest forwards.

BGM: The Great Detective Knows

Just this single point... showed that this girl possessed a dignity appropriate for a guest invited in by the Ushiromiya family...

"...Furudo-sama, allow me to introduce you. This is the representative of the Ushiromiya family head, Ushiromiya Krauss."
"Welcome to Rokkenjima. Though you arrived due to an accident, you are a guest of the family. We welcome you. Please, make yourself at home and relax however you please."
"...Thank you very much. Allow me to introduce myself."

"...I am truly grateful for the warm welcome I have received despite my status as an uninvited guest."

...There was a general sigh of acceptance. The clothes she had been lent were probably Jessica's formal wear from long ago, but the composure of her introduction gave the impression of a dignity by no means inferior to the clothes she wore...

The girl's name was Furudo Erika. She looked slightly younger than Battler and Jessica, but her composure and mannerisms were beyond what anyone would have expected from a high-schooler, almost as though she was a well-to-do family's daughter...

"...With someone incompetent like you as the main character piece, the game wouldn't get anywhere. That's why I've placed myself there as a piece..."
"Well, it's just a bit of a bonus. Even in a closed circle, it'd get boring to see the same thing every single time, right?"
"Quit messing around. This piece doesn't exist on Beato's game board. Beato and I won't acknowledge it...!"
"This is Beato's game board, right? If Beato refuses, then I'll think about it. And Beato's opinio~n?"

Beato was unable to answer. Lambdadelta grinned as though in triumph.

"...Wanna try complaining about the rules and stepping down from the game? Isn't that the favorite move of you mystery people♪ If there's even a tiny element that goes against your expectations, you have a tantrum and totally stop thinking."
"...Ugh..."
"...Don't worry. I'll make a detective proclamation about this piece."
"Detective proclamation...?"

"...Because of Knox's 7th. 'It is forbidden for the detective to be the culprit'. There was an exception clause in the original, but for this game 'the detective isn't the culprit' has been proclaimed in red, so you don't need to consider the exception."
"I hate word games, so I'll say it in red too. Furudo Erika is not the culprit."
"Repeat it. 'Furudo Erika had no influence on any of Beato's games before now'."

"In that case, what happens to the number of people on this island right now?"
"Of course, it's plus 1 over the previous number. But don't worry. Furudo Erika only increases it by one person. Besides her, the number of people on this island is exactly the same as it was in the previous games."

It was Battler, George, and Jessica, who had come from the guesthouse after being called here by Eva. They immediately spotted a guest they didn't recognize, and their eyes went wide.

"Uu-. Guest. She came by fa-ll fa-lling."
"Huh? Fall, fall...??"
"...Genji-san. Who is this person...?"
"This is a guest, Furudo Erika-sama. Furudo-sama, this is the daughter of the family, Jessica-sama, along with her cousins George-sama and Battler-sama."
"Umm, oh, n, nice to meet you. I'm Ushiromiya Jessica..."
"...Hello. My name is Furudo Erika. I am very pleased to meet you..."

Though Battler, George, and Jessica didn't have a clue what was going on and were utterly bewildered, they each introduced themselves...

"Looks like it. In other words, the number of people in this parlor now is equal to the total number of people on this island."
"There were supposedly 18 people on the island, but since Grandfather was actually dead, that became 17. And now one piece of Bernkastel's has been added..."

The number of humans on this island has returned to 18... 'I' glanced around at the humans in the parlor.

This is everyone. The true number of people on the island at the moment...

"Well, all of us are Ushiromiyas. Please don't feel obligated to call us by our family name. I'm George."
"I'm Battler. Nice to meet you!"
"...Thank you very much, George-san, Battler-san. I'd be pleased if you would call me Erika."
"Nice to meet you, Erika-san...!"

It was decided that Erika would be welcomed like a guest and allowed to borrow the bedroom next to the cousins' room on the second floor of the guesthouse. In front of all the relatives, she had seemed dignified and a bit stiff. However, as she talked with George and Jessica, her expression began to soften gradually...

And so, the 'detective' Furudo Erika was placed on the game board...

BGM: Minute Darkness

"...Kumasawa made the decision on her own to use Milady's old clothes. Please forgive her."

The clothes Erika was wearing were Jessica's old formal attire. Though the guest possessed a dignity that would put many adults to shame, her body was still physically similar to a middle-schooler's. Jessica's old clothes fit her perfectly.

"Not to worry. They match this guest perfectly. If she likes them, we might even let her keep them as a present, as a sign of friendship."
"...Certainly. Thank you very much."
"Have you contacted the police and her family?"
"Yes. They seemed to have been quite distressed."

"...She said that she fell from a boat as it was returning to port."
"Is there anything to back up that claim?"
"I checked with the Coast Guard. It seems that she fell from the rear of a pleasure boat, unnoticed by the others on board. We don't know the exact location she fell from, but it was probably somewhere near this island..."
"...Playing on a boat with such a bad weather forecast was foolish. However, is it really conceivable that she nearly drowned in the nearby waters and drifted to this island?"
"It is not impossible. Tales of drifters washing ashore exist in several of the islands around this area."
"..."
"...I believe it likely that there was an accident. This is the middle of a typhoon. There is no place on this island where it would be possible to land a boat."

Genji had already figured it out. Natsuhi probably suspected that this mysterious guest, who had arrived during the already high-stress family conference, might be the agent of someone's conspiracy. Therefore, Genji had already checked to make sure that the accident was real, that Furudo Erika was her real name, and that there was nothing suspicious going on...

"...I understand. My husband has ordered that she be politely entertained. Make sure that there are no blunders. However... you understand, don't you?"
"Yes. I won't let her anywhere near the family conference. After dinner, I will see that she retires to the guesthouse."
"Make sure that they don't start trying to force us to let her meet Father, or anything like that."
"Of course. I will keep that in mind."

BGM: Melody (instrumental)

"She's probably Lady Bernkastel's piece. Though she will follow the rules of humans, the player is a witch. We can't underestimate her."
"Hmph, there is no problem. Even if she was Lady Bernkastel herself, since she is a human, she's no match for us. After all, we have Gaap with us. Humans certainly cannot win against Gaap!"
"...Thanks. Still, it's not a good idea to overestimate yourself. The definition of a witch doesn't only imply the ability to use magic."
"True. A joker and the eye of a typhoon. That is what a witch is..."

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 25, 2017

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The profiles page has been updated.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Eh, we've gotten about as much mileage as we can from Battler being the main character anyway.

Edit:

quote:

I see what you did there.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 25, 2017

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Interesting that she used that archaic character, like in the Evangelion title. I expect it is deliberate although I'm not getting the nuance of it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Erika is the best, listen to her theme

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Prof, there's a point when they're talking about Rosa having fallen asleep, when you've used Ronove's image, but I imagine it should have been someone else? I'd guess Rudolf or Kyrie. Sorry for the lack of quote, I'm phone posting :v:

What's interesting about Erika's introduction?

e: it's this line: "There's a chance we might be forced to spend all night on this. Getting a nap in now is probably a smart idea."

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Zack Ater posted:

Prof, there's a point when they're talking about Rosa having fallen asleep, when you've used Ronove's image, but I imagine it should have been someone else? I'd guess Rudolf or Kyrie. Sorry for the lack of quote, I'm phone posting :v:

What's interesting about Erika's introduction?

e: it's this line: "There's a chance we might be forced to spend all night on this. Getting a nap in now is probably a smart idea."

The 'E' in Erika (ヱ) is an archaic version of the character エ, which is weird because the rest of her first name is in katakana, which indicates it's a transliterated foreign name. As for why that is, your guess is as good as mine. Probably Bern being an rear end in a top hat.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Zack Ater posted:

Prof, there's a point when they're talking about Rosa having fallen asleep, when you've used Ronove's image, but I imagine it should have been someone else? I'd guess Rudolf or Kyrie.

If anyone's ever wondering why I keep doing that, it's because of how my icons are arranged in my notes.

Access Rudolf's icons: Ctrl+End, page up six times, it's the R-name in the middle of the screen.
Access Ronove's icons: Ctrl+End, page up seven times, it's the R-name in the middle of the screen.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Welp, this update looks like the final nail in the coffin for the Kanon=Shannon theory. We've been told in red that save for Erika, the number of people in this game is exactly the same as in the previous games, and Battler, who we consider our only reliable viewpoint has personally seen everyone in the same room.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

mycelia posted:

The 'E' in Erika (ヱ) is an archaic version of the character エ, which is weird because the rest of her first name is in katakana, which indicates it's a transliterated foreign name. As for why that is, your guess is as good as mine. Probably Bern being an rear end in a top hat.

Thats because one of the main characters in Higurashi is Furude Rika so the author just slightly Westernized the name and inserted her into the story. Rika and Erika are similar but not the "same" person in this game. So yes Bern is just being an rear end in a top hat.

Also it seems to draws attention to the other character names (hers being slightly changed from her other name) and maybe we can translate them to Japanese names (or vice versa) to solve the witches epithet or at least part of the riddle by removing some characters in their names. Though i am unfamiliar with the Japanese written language.

of course soon we will see how she interacts with the rest of the cast and what "truths" she will find.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

lookw posted:

Thats because one of the main characters in Higurashi is Furude Rika so the author just slightly Westernized the name and inserted her into the story. Rika and Erika are similar but not the "same" person in this game. So yes Bern is just being an rear end in a top hat.

Kudos to whoever called "my original character Fernkastel", you were almost right. :golfclap:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
If anyone figures out some deep meaning behind why Erika's name is written the way it is, congrats, the entire Umineko fandom would love to know.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Bern's self insert fanfic OC is the real detective - Let's Play Umineko Chiru

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aumanor posted:

Welp, this update looks like the final nail in the coffin for the Kanon=Shannon theory. We've been told in red that save for Erika, the number of people in this game is exactly the same as in the previous games, and Battler, who we consider our only reliable viewpoint has personally seen everyone in the same room.

I was thinking the same thing, but it's only Battler who assumes that the amount of people on the island is 18. Lambdadelta only says in red that "the number of people in this parlor now is equal to the total number of people on this island." That's it. Shannon = Kanno theory is not dead yet.

But it is interesting that Battler has officially been replaced with a character who is the detective. Whatever immunity Battler has been enjoying from suspicion as the main character is gone now. :twisted:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have actually heard of Erika before and I heard her image song a few years back. I know nothing about her other then apparently lots of fans hate her.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but it's only Battler who assumes that the amount of people on the island is 18. Lambdadelta only says in red that "the number of people in this parlor now is equal to the total number of people on this island." That's it. Shannon = Kanno theory is not dead yet

ProfessorProf posted:

"Of course, it's plus 1 over the previous number. But don't worry. Furudo Erika only increases it by one person. Besides her, the number of people on this island is exactly the same as it was in the previous games."

We know for certain(stated in red) that:
-In games 1-4 there were no more than 17 people on the island
-In game 5 the number of people on the island is larger by exactly 1.
-Thus, there are no more than 18 people on the island in this game
-All people on the island are at this moment present in the parlour.

Now, Battler has personally seen all the following people in the parlour simultaneously:
-Erika, the new arrival
-Kumasawa
-Shannon
-Genji
-Krauss
-Natsuhi
-Gohda
-Kanon
-Rudolf
-Kyrie
-Eva
-Hideyoshi
-Rosa
-Maria
-Nanjo
-Jessica
-George

18 people in total. That's the exact number of people on this island. Thus, there were exactly 17 people on the island in the previous games.

:ssh:Plus, y'know, Battler's seen Kanon and Shannon in the same room at the same time with his own eyes.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 25, 2017

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Aumanor posted:

I'm not a proponent of the theory, but there are a couple of holes in the reasoning here.

1) Piece-Battler was the designated detective, not Meta-Battler. The game literally just reminded us last scene that what Meta-Battler sees may be false, despite him being the point of view character in some ways. As long as everyone goes along with something, it can be shown to him as if it were true.
2) Piece-Battler isn't the detective anymore. It was just declared in red that Erika is the detective as of now and presumably for the rest of this game. That means that things are only seen if she acknowledges them; Piece-Battler is officially a supporting character in this story. (Presumably taking up the role of Doctor Watson/Captain Hastings/Archie Goodwin.) I'm not sure how I feel about the protagonist being suddenly displaced, honestly, but there it is. It's even consistent with the principles Knox outlines in his paper; the detective is, by nature, someone who only begins their work after the main action has taken place. They, of all characters, don't have to be introduced at the beginning of the story.

Eleanore
Jun 18, 2013
Whether Battler counts as a reliable perspective is kind of moot. Either Piece-Battler is still reliable, or Erika is the new reliable one. In either case they were together with Shannon and Kanon in the same room at the same time. So yeah, I'd consider that theory debunked.

Also I'm still suspicious about that red about Erika not being the culprit. I'll buy that she can't be the murderer but does that prevent her being the accomplish or part of some minor crimes during this game? (Since the red about her not being involved with previous games seems ironclad). And unrelated, but poor Jessica if that was originally her clothes, no wonder she's rebelling.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have actually heard of Erika before and I heard her image song a few years back. I know nothing about her other then apparently lots of fans hate her.

Slanderous lies.

Edit: Or should that be libellous falsehoods? Either way I am confident that you will come to love Erika as we do and that's all I'll say on the matter.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 25, 2017

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Eleanore posted:

Whether Battler counts as a reliable perspective is kind of moot. Either Piece-Battler is still reliable, or Erika is the new reliable one. In either case they were together with Shannon and Kanon in the same room at the same time. So yeah, I'd consider that theory debunked.

Does she know how many people are supposed to be in that room? Was she introduced to them, or did she interact with them directly at all?

Now, that said, I think it's super unlikely because of the relationship stuff I brought up before. I just think we need to be careful about this kind of situation in general, or the game is going to trick us; the variability of observations is its main weapon for distracting us from the solutions of the mysteries.

Eleanore posted:

Also I'm still suspicious about that red about Erika not being the culprit. I'll buy that she can't be the murderer but does that prevent her being the accomplish or part of some minor crimes during this game? (Since the red about her not being involved with previous games seems ironclad).

Yeah, she might contribute somehow. I doubt it, though; I think having an Actual Detective is the game starting to part the curtains for us a little bit. Might just be wishful thinking, though.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well, she's apparently a Bernkastel fanfic self-insert right after we started hating Bern, so she's got kind of an uphill battle here.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Once again, Knox's rules are probably relevant now that they've been mentioned.

Seventh rule, according to idonotlikepeas' list: "The detective must not himself commit the crime."

If Knox's rules are actually going to be followed here, Erika can't be the criminal...but there's a lot of ways you can be cruel without it being a crime, unfortunately. What I'm saying is Erika's probably not going to turn out good. Her master's the self-proclaimed cruelest witch, after all.

(That, and she seemed way too happy to be accusing Natsuhi back there, and I actually pity her in spite of her possibly doing a bad thing, dammit. :( It's personal now.)

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
To go along with the crowd, while I don't think Shannon and Kanon are the same person, the wording for the number of people is twisted awkwardly to keep from giving a precise count, so there almost has to be some trick going on. Maybe Kawasuma is a hologram - that's why she never does any actual work.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

BurningStone posted:

Maybe Kawasuma is a hologram - that's why she never does any actual work.
Knox's Fourth, man! Holograms are out!

She's obviously some kind of sea bird turned human and still getting used to hands and thumbs. It'd explain the mackerel obsession, at least.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Guys it was obviously explained in Episode 3, Kumasawa is a witch.

Witches aren't human, though they are real, so her presence doesn't increase the number of humans on the island. :colbert:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
There's nothing preventing a claim that someone here is corpse puppet being controlled and voiced by someone else to fool Battler, aside from how silly and cheap it is.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
My actual crazy theory is that Beatrice is Battler's mother. There's really no evidence for it, but it's the biggest plot twist I can think of, and Battler's unknown mother lays the groundwork for it. Rudolf can still be the father, since we keep getting reminded how much he used to chase everything hot and hollow. From Rosa's story, it's hard to picture the very sheltered girl in the hidden mansion as a mother, but the dates and biology are at least possible. It would also explain why Beato said Battler had sinned against her by leaving the family when his (fake) mother died.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

October 4th, 1986, 7:00 PM

BGM: Novelette

Since Kinzo's seat at the high end of the table was empty, if you turned the whole thing around, it sort of looked like Erika was the host of this dinner...

After Gohda's announcement, dinner began with the almost customary applause. It was finally the beginning of the dinner orchestra conducted by Toshiro Gohda. Except for Krauss's household, sitting at such a majestic dinner table was no everyday thing for these people by any means. However, they were all used to it and acted as though this was completely normal.

...Again, if anyone was to be surprised, it should have been Erika. And yet, she showed no surprise at this dinner and acted with composure, blending in with everyone else. There wasn't even a sliver of the fear one might expect from someone who had wandered here like a lost puppy.

"...She's a strange child. She doesn't seem the least bit flustered over the Ushiromiya family's grandest dinner of the year."
"Kids these days have nerves of steel. Definitely not something I dislike."
"Is Furudo-san used to meals such as this one...? She seems to be quite composed."
"No kiddin'. She seems very experienced. Heck, I still get confused about which fork I'm supposed to use next. Yeah... was it this one, or this one...? Wahahahahaha!"

Without showing any confusion over the line of utensils in front of her, Erika gracefully ate her hors d'oeuvres. Hideyoshi had started joking around with her, gripping a fork in each hand. Of course, the president of a company in the food service industry like Hideyoshi would obviously know his table manners. However, thinking that Erika must be nervous over this dinner, he had intentionally spoken with a comic tone of voice.

As soon as she began talking about chopsticks, her eyes started glittering. The smile she now showed for the first time was far different from the dignity she had shown before and more like something you'd expect from someone her age.

"*giggle*. But you would use a spoon for curry and rice, wouldn't you?"
"Just make it as donburi. Is there anyone who eats gyuudon with a spoon? Of course not. For the Japanese, it's absolutely, positively, totally chopsticks! So, Gohda-san. Would you mind bringing me some chopsticks? I want to show everyone how a true Japanese person should eat, without any shame!"
"...By the way, what are we eating next?"
"Unfortunately, that would be soup."

As she pretended to shrug, Erika winked at everyone.

Of course, no one was laughing at her. She obviously knew that soup came after hors d'oeuvres in a full course meal. Furthermore, Erika had even noticed that she'd been performing too perfectly and creating a sense of tension... and that this was why Hideyoshi had tried to break the ice. That's why she'd started behaving a little childish and light-hearted, acting out the part of a guest enjoying a harmonious dinner...

Pretty soon, not only Kyrie, but everyone else also caught on. Even though she was an uninvited guest, she was apparently worthy of participating in an Ushiromiya family dinner.

"Smart kid. Did she really just come here by coincidence? Don't tell me you secretly called your illegitimate child to today's family conference, Nii-san?"
"It seems she's not only smart, but knows how to brighten the mood too. And her manners are simply wonderful. It wouldn't be bad at all to have this girl as a daughter."
"Hihihihi. That's pretty cruel. Where does that leave Jessica-chan?"
"*giggle*. That's mean, Rudolf nii-san."
"What's wrong, Jessica-chan? Headache?"
"Uuuu... I get the feeling my reputation's taking a dip..."
"Well, as the daughter of the head family, I doubt you're any worse. Try using those table manners and dignity Aunt Natsuhi's always training you with, and fight back!"
"Wanna see, wanna see! Wanna see table manners! Uu-!"
"Hey, jumping around is bad manners. Come on, Jessica-chan. Show us how it's done."
"...S, sure, of course..."

Jessica straightened up so much it looked like someone had poked her back with a pole. She had good posture, but it somehow lacked elegance.

She sat at attention with her gaze fixed straight ahead, tried to bring her food to her mouth despite this, and failed miserably. Dad, who was sitting next to her, suddenly realized that something was up.

"Hm? What is it, Jessica-chan? Your stomach hurt??"

Jessica turned bright red. Ah, sorry, I can't help myself... We laughed our heads off. Jessica protested, still bright red. Aunt Natsuhi scolded us for being too improper. Well, no matter how much we try to smooth it over, we are who we are. We couldn't act like we were anything else.

Still, that laugh really did help us to relax. We were so concerned about the guest getting nervous that we had grown even more nervous ourselves. Our chatter from the center of this long table spread to both ends, and ultimately, the dinner went even more smoothly than usual...

Gohda won unanimous acclaim and was praised for his skill by all present...

After a short period of harmony following the meal, it was decided that we would return to the guesthouse. Normally, dinner tended to have a very dark atmosphere about it, and the adults would often move right on to the family conference with the same dark atmosphere. However, perhaps because this year's dinner had been oddly peaceful, everyone decided to take a break, the adults included. After eating, taking a bath, and relaxing while watching TV, I wonder if they'll gather again in the mansion in the middle of all this rain and resume their high-tension family conference... I'd rather not think about that.

Apparently, Aunt Eva got very worked up trying to convince the rest to start the family conference right away, but it didn't look like many people agreed with her. The meeting had probably come to a close for the night. Since they had guesthouse duty, Gohda-san and Kumasawa-san were chosen to guide us to the guesthouse. It must be tough for Gohda-san. Even after making and cleaning up such an extravagant dinner, he also has the midnight shift at the guesthouse. I heard that Kumasawa-san, old as she was, would be going to sleep soon. It seems she was assigned a spare room in the guesthouse.

"...Thank you very much."
"Why not rest a bit? Are you sure you feel alright?"
"...That's right. I'd totally forgotten, but you nearly drowned and floated here, didn't you, Erika-chan? It's probably best if you take it easy today and get to bed early."
"...I'm perfectly fine. On the contrary, I'm so nervous and excited that I doubt I could get to sleep."
"Uu-uu-!! Then let's play, let's all play together! Play cards!"

Maria latched on to her, giggling. This lack of restraint particular to youth was very much like Maria. However, we really should be worrying about Erika's physical condition now.

"Maria, why don't you play cards with us. Erika onee-chan is tired."
"...I like cards. Please let me join you after I've had a short break."
"Uu-uu-uu-!! All right!!"

"...Oh, that is the Golden Witch, Beatrice-sama."
"...The Golden... Witch."
"What're you doing, brats? Head off back to the guesthouse right away."

Dad, Kyrie-san, Aunt Eva, Uncle Hideyoshi, and Aunt Rosa all came over. The guesthouse party had all gathered. However, Erika's gaze was captured by the portrait of the witch, and she simply stared at it for a while...

BGM: Sukashiyuri

Perhaps because it was too early for them all to disperse into their individual rooms, the relatives who had returned to the guesthouse all gathered on the first floor, continuing their chat. The topic... was the witch's epitaph, which Erika had taken an interest in.

"...It really is a fascinating riddle. He stuck it out in a place where anyone could see it, challenging our intelligence. I love that kind of challenge."
"Whoa. You seem surprisingly interested, Erika-chan. Do you like solving riddles or something?"

When she said that, the adults stopped moving, and slowly turned to face Erika...

"Why, do you think that...?"

Aunt Eva spoke with a coaxing voice. Though there had been whisperings between the relatives every now and then that the person who solved the epitaph's riddle might be given the family inheritance, that had been nothing more than wishful thinking, since such a thing had never been specifically stated. And yet, though she had only read it once... this outsider had already reached that conclusion. How had she come to it?

No, that's not the problem. 'If you solve the epitaph, you can become the next head'. She wasn't trying to make it sound like wishful thinking... but an outright fact. So they closed in around Erika, asking why she was so sure.

:siren:BGM: Smile-less Soiree:siren:

"But displayed it in his mansion. That means the riddle is directed at the people in this mansion."
"You're right... Since it's inside the mansion, there's no way for someone who can't enter the mansion to solve it. So, that means Grandfather has been challenging the people in this mansion."
"...<Good>. Well thought. Just by the simple fact that the epitaph is inside the mansion, it's possible to figure out that much."

At first, this Furudo Erika girl had seemed to be the fairly silent type, but apparently, that wasn't the case. When she grew excited about being challenged to a game of wits, she became much more talkative than I had imagined.

"I, I see... Well, it does make sense that an epitaph inside a mansion would be there so the people in that mansion could read it..."
"But... can you really be so sure that the one who solves it will be given the headship too?"
"...If the treasure gained by solving the riddle were something small, I wouldn't even have considered that."
"That's right. The hidden gold is worth 20 billion. You could consider it the wealth of the Ushiromiya family itself."

...The idea that the person who solved the epitaph would be chosen as the next head was something that had been floating around between a few of the relatives for a while now. However, since that had never been stated specifically, it had been nothing more than an optimistic dream. Thinking this, they had decided to abandon all consideration of this point until it could be made clear. Erika had clearly declared that this uncertain part was, in fact, true. If one of the relatives had said it, people would have thought it to be merely an optimistic dream.

However, when Furudo Erika, a complete outsider, declared this, her words seemed more credible than they otherwise would have... Everyone remained silent for a while, slowly considering what those words implied...

"...S, sorry to butt in, but my father is the successor to the head. It doesn't matter who finds the gold, because just finding it doesn't make someone the head, right?"

Jessica thought the treasure-hunting part of the epitaph was really fun. However, she couldn't help but let her expression grow bitter once they started talking about undermining her father's position...

"...By using deductive reasoning based upon my theory, it seems likely that Kinzo-san doesn't want the successor to the head, Krauss-san, to inherit that position very smoothly."
"Wh, why's that?!!"
"...Becoming the head of the Ushiromiya family, with all of the vast wealth it entails, would mean gaining a great deal of influence in a political sense. In that case, the succession must be overseen vigorously, without letting any element of chance creep into the equation."
"Th, that's right. It happens a lot in those stories about Sengoku period military commanders that my husband loves. When there are multiple candidates for the successor, it usually results in an internal squabble..."
"...That's right... That's why it's important to clearly specify a successor, so that you can avoid any trouble. Sometimes, there's even a purge of all the competing successors."

Even the Sengoku commander Hideyoshi admired, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, made his son-in-law Hidetsugu commit seppuku, but it was rumored that he might have done this to make Hideyori, who was his real son and born after Hidetsugu, his true heir. In other words, naming a successor was a way to make it generally known that a single, unique person would be acknowledged by everyone as the successor, and a way to remove any chance of another person becoming an opposing candidate.

"In other words, if Kinzo-san wanted Krauss-san to become the head smoothly, he would have no reason to go out of his way and display something so dangerous for all to see."
"That's right. If you turn the chessboard over, you certainly could say that. It would be odd if he handed over the position of the head normally, but didn't hand over the 20 billion yen in gold except to the person who solves the riddle."

Kinzo would give up the title of head, but he would only give up the 20 billion yen in gold to the person who solved the epitaph. You really couldn't call this passing on the headship in the truest sense.

"...That's how it is. By this theory, we are able to doubt whether Kinzo-san truly acknowledged Krauss-san as his successor."
"...Simply by the existence of the epitaph in that place, this level of reasoning is possible for Furudo Erika. What do you think, Jessica-san?"
"Wh, what the hell's that?!! How do you call that reasoning?! That's bullshit!! It's screwed up!!"

Jessica let her emotions lay bare and glared at Erika. Erika, on the other hand, looked exceedingly calm with an expression that said 'Well, that's just the truth, right?'

It seems she really is like the family, even in ways that it would've been better if she wasn't...

"Well, t, take it easy, Jessica... And Erika, let's leave it at that for now."
"Well, umm, we can put all this about the successor to the side for now. In any event, there's no doubt that it's Father's big question for us."
"...Wahahaha! It's 20 billion yen! Maria-chan, what would you use it for if you found it? Wahahahahahahaha!"
"...Uu-. The Golden Land isn't just gold. It's a sacred place!"

Uncle Hideyoshi kept trying to force himself to chuckle and thereby force the mood to improve. Everyone else tried to go along with that, but Jessica's mood didn't get any better.

"Ha, hahahaha. So, Erika-chan, would you like to have a go at the epitaph's riddle?"
"...Yes. My little gray cells are itching to get started. So I'd like to start solving as soon as possible."

George-aniki skillfully turned the conversation around. Just like the time she had made everyone laugh in the dining hall, Erika looked about with gleeful eyes and jumped at the chance.

"*giggle*giggle*. I like it. Well, since Erika seems so interested, let's all try and solve it together, just like last year."
"I'll make some coffee. Raise your hand if you want some."
" Not for you, Maria! You won't be able to sleep...!"
"Uu-uu-!! Wanna drink black coffee!!"
"..."
"...Don't they get you excited? Riddles like this. I love them."

Erika said that and smiled... Even though she must have known that she'd ticked Jessica off and made the atmosphere sour, she just smiled nonchalantly...

BGM: Melody (instrumental)

"...I've tried to solve it many times myself. But-"
"...But you didn't have a clue, so you gave up and stopped thinking. Right?"

It pissed me off, but I didn't have a good counter for that. After all, I don't get the epitaph at all. I don't even know what the beloved hometown means, much less the parts about the sweetfish river and the key... Thinking that a few more hints would show up if I waited, I kept on waiting, and just stopped thinking...

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How incredibly appropriate for a Bern-piece.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Erika really is the best. We finally get a proper detective, and she's a jerk who gets right down to the business of sowing tension about the succession and inheritance amongst the family. Not that the Ushiromiya family usually even needs any help with that.

Eleanore
Jun 18, 2013
I'm guessing this is our cue to solve the epitaph before the game tells us how to do it? In which case I got nothing. I had some crap idea about migration patterns of some butterfly that had one of the kanjis in its name, but it took me absolutely nowhere. I'll just jump on board TLCs Taiwan - RUDOL thing.

Wow the game is really stuck on telling us how much like an Ushiromiya Erika is like :tinfoil: If she's Bernkastel's self-insert OC, isn't it super common to make those related to the original characters in bad fanfic? She might not be the culprit, but she could be the caller. THE SON THING IS A RED HERRING. (okay to be fair, if that was the case then why would Bernkastel ask Lambda to confirm the call in red?)

I was also thinking about how we've generally accepted that Kumasawa, Genji and Nanjo are probably accomplishes. The game has also pretty much been yelling in our face about how Virgillia and Ronove are the magical counterparts to Kumasawa and Genji... So is Gaap supposed to be Nanjo?

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Don't think Erika has any good intentions to this family, all she is a mirror piece for the self claimed "cruelest witch in the world"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Eleanore posted:

I'm guessing this is our cue to solve the epitaph before the game tells us how to do it? In which case I got nothing. I had some crap idea about migration patterns of some butterfly that had one of the kanjis in its name, but it took me absolutely nowhere. I'll just jump on board TLCs Taiwan - RUDOL thing.

Wow the game is really stuck on telling us how much like an Ushiromiya Erika is like :tinfoil: If she's Bernkastel's self-insert OC, isn't it super common to make those related to the original characters in bad fanfic? She might not be the culprit, but she could be the caller. THE SON THING IS A RED HERRING. (okay to be fair, if that was the case then why would Bernkastel ask Lambda to confirm the call in red?)

I was also thinking about how we've generally accepted that Kumasawa, Genji and Nanjo are probably accomplishes. The game has also pretty much been yelling in our face about how Virgillia and Ronove are the magical counterparts to Kumasawa and Genji... So is Gaap supposed to be Nanjo?

She's one of the 27 great demons.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

Pretty soon, not only Kyrie, but everyone else also caught on. Even though she was an uninvited guest, she was apparently worthy of participating in an Ushiromiya family dinner.

God, she's even more of a Mary Sue than we thought.

ProfessorProf posted:

"...It really is a fascinating riddle. He stuck it out in a place where anyone could see it, challenging our intelligence. I love that kind of challenge."
"Whoa. You seem surprisingly interested, Erika-chan. Do you like solving riddles or something?"

"You're right... Since it's inside the mansion, there's no way for someone who can't enter the mansion to solve it. So, that means Grandfather has been challenging the people in this mansion."
"...<Good>. Well thought. Just by the simple fact that the epitaph is inside the mansion, it's possible to figure out that much."

"...By using deductive reasoning based upon my theory, it seems likely that Kinzo-san doesn't want the successor to the head, Krauss-san, to inherit that position very smoothly."
"Wh, why's that?!!"
"...Becoming the head of the Ushiromiya family, with all of the vast wealth it entails, would mean gaining a great deal of influence in a political sense. In that case, the succession must be overseen vigorously, without letting any element of chance creep into the equation."
"Th, that's right. It happens a lot in those stories about Sengoku period military commanders that my husband loves. When there are multiple candidates for the successor, it usually results in an internal squabble..."
"...That's right... That's why it's important to clearly specify a successor, so that you can avoid any trouble. Sometimes, there's even a purge of all the competing successors."

Even the Sengoku commander Hideyoshi admired, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, made his son-in-law Hidetsugu commit seppuku, but it was rumored that he might have done this to make Hideyori, who was his real son and born after Hidetsugu, his true heir. In other words, naming a successor was a way to make it generally known that a single, unique person would be acknowledged by everyone as the successor, and a way to remove any chance of another person becoming an opposing candidate.

"Ha, hahahaha. So, Erika-chan, would you like to have a go at the epitaph's riddle?"
"...Yes. My little gray cells are itching to get started. So I'd like to start solving as soon as possible."

"...Don't they get you excited? Riddles like this. I love them."

OK, I admit it, she's my new favorite character.

Incidentally, the "little grey cells" line is straight out of Agatha Christie. Hercule Poirot, her primary and most famous detective (and probably the second-most-famous detective worldwide after Sherlock Holmes), was very concerned about the activity of his little grey cells, and spoke of them often. He's also a detestable, bombastic, tiresome, egocentric little creep, or at least that's how Christie described him. (Like Conan Doyle, she grew to loathe her primary character, but unlike him, she didn't try to kill him off until the end of her career.)

Edit:

Eleanore posted:

I've kind of admitted defeat on this one. If the line of reasoning we have now is correct, it probably requires linguistic and/or geographic skills I don't have to proceed. (And if it isn't, I'm even more clueless.)

Eleanore posted:

Hmm. That's possible. Beatrice also said that Gaap used to bedevil her, though, by making her lose things. (Well, she said "tease", but you know.) It's possible she's just the Personification Of Accidentally Misplacing poo poo.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 26, 2017

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Eleanore posted:

Hmmm....

yep, checks out.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Hey, Nanjo pulls that outfit off better than I would. I actually think Gaap might perhaps be a personification of the old demon spirits of Rokkenjima.

Anyway, are we back to epitaph time? I found it really hard to proceed while thinking abstractly about it, so I wrote it down and was able to visualize the rest of it a lot better. (:rip: my beloved theory, DR LOU) Again, all of this is contingent on two big assumptions: 1) Kinzo grew up in Taipei and 2) the "key" is Qilian, a station along the Freshwater / Tamsui train line. Simply by the existence of Google Maps, this level of reasoning is possible for TCL. What do you think, goons?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rodyle posted:

She's one of the 27 great demons.

Other way around 72.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hey, Nanjo pulls that outfit off better than I would. I actually think Gaap might perhaps be a personification of the old demon spirits of Rokkenjima.

Anyway, are we back to epitaph time? I found it really hard to proceed while thinking abstractly about it, so I wrote it down and was able to visualize the rest of it a lot better. (:rip: my beloved theory, DR LOU) Again, all of this is contingent on two big assumptions: 1) Kinzo grew up in Taipei and 2) the "key" is Qilian, a station along the Freshwater / Tamsui train line. Simply by the existence of Google Maps, this level of reasoning is possible for TCL. What do you think, goons?

Oh. So you're looking at the epitaph, not as a number or a topographic space on a map, but as a word. A word like "quadrillion"? And the gouging of the the head and so forth to be the removal of those letters?

Well...

*reads notes*

:stare:

*makes own notes with quadrillion and qilian*

:aaa:

Holy poo poo, I think you've got it. I thought you were reaching with the whole "rivers in Korea" thing, but ... Quadrillion without the "six chosen by the key" i.e. the six letters Q I L I A N makes: udrlo. And two of those are next to each other, unseparated by spaces as the others are... Oh god, the "two that are close." (And here I was stuck on body parts and numbers and places on the island. See, this is why you don't let my concrete rear end near riddles.) And what is urdlo?

An anagram of lordu. Lord U(shiromiya). Praise my noble name. :doh:

It's too perfect, both in its simplicity and its implication in the thinking process of a narcissist like Kinzo, to dismiss. The murders were an entire distraction from the actual riddle then... wow, it really is a question of getting on the right wavelength. But... what now? "None are left alive" meaning there's no more letters, but we should know where the gold is now. So where's the gold? Is it in the chapel, which had that inscription above the door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eleanore
Jun 18, 2013

oath2order posted:

Hmmm....

yep, checks out.

I almost spit out my drink, it's too perfect. I don't care if old spirits or misplaced probably makes more sense, in my heart there is always room for Gaanjo.

Tender Child Loins posted:

That really is simple and goes with what Eva said about thinking like a child with word games :doh: If this isn't the solution, or at least really close to it, I'll be surprised. As for what happens when the letters are all killed?

From what Eva says it sounds like some directions are revealed by solving the riddle. Maybe the Quadrillion plate at the chapel will come loose and behind it is some "X MARKS THE GOLD" map? Or since she's suddenly in some tunnel it'll open some hidden door nearby. I don't care what Knox says, the entrance to the gold has to be hidden some way :colbert:

As for why the riddle is involved at all... Erika's reasoning sounds really solid and I don't doubt that Kinzo is the one who put up the riddle for display. We know it really does lead to the gold and Kinzo is the one who would have hidden the gold somewhere on the island. Plus the riddle has been displayed for 2 years and from this episode it seems Kinzo was dead for about 1,5 years. I don't think Kinzo would allow anyone else to put up portraits of Beatrice, Actually wait, if the chapel IS involved with the riddle, it must mean the riddle is older than 2 years, so yeah definitely Kinzo and I don't doubt for a second the reason is that he hates his kids and would love to see the gold snatched away from them. Though then it is weird he didn't just publish it for anyone to see, unless he hoped one of the servants would solve it. He was encouraging Kanon to solve it like way back in EP1.

I was going to ask that the question is more why Beatrice sends the letter and asks the family to solve it every time, but I just noticed... THERE WAS NO LETTER THIS TIME.

• Locked thread