Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

there's just something weird about the entire exchange, it doesn't sound quite like Natsuhi and Krauss, but more a parody of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

idonotlikepeas posted:

The intent of that rule is that it's unfair to the reader to have them follow a murderer's thoughts through a murder investigation and just suppose that they happen to not think about how they committed the murder. It's dirty pool, or as Knox might say, not cricket.

This BTW is the biggest criticism of Heavy Rain - you do literally play the villain at a point of time where it would be impossible for you to NOT know he's the killer without the game outright lying to you, which of course it did because David Cage is a hack who doesn't even know what a McGuffin is.

And good catch on the <cool>, Elanaore - I somehow skipped over it, it's quite possible that's what did in fact happen.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Lot of Doyle's antipathy for Holmes is that he overshadows all his other writing attempts - and there's an interesting theory I saw once, given Holmes gets compared to a hound frequently, note the depiction of dogs before and after "The Final Problem" - save for one dog that needed to be put down, thus made it convenient for them to test a poison, dogs are helpers and treated well before The Final Problem, but Hound of Baskervilles and on, the Dogs are often killed - quite painfully. A few fans theorized that Doyle's taking his frustrations using the dogs via proxy.

But I digress, but Erika definitely seems to be a knock against the type of detectives that do it not for money or some nebulous sense of justice, but purely to prove their intellect or slake their curiosity.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I've always been kind of curious about the Judge Dee books, but just never found the opportunity to read them.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

EagerSleeper posted:

Rereading old literature from back then is always a special treat, because it's easy to go from "hey cool I'm going to be rereading the classics :)" to ":gonk:" in a very short amount of time.

AKA: How I found out Lovecraft is a racist, and how if written today, Peter Pan would be a horror story (not only the whole thing about the Indian tribes, but how casually Peter would kill the lost boys and then forget about them completely).

idonotlikepeas posted:

Speaking of which... Battler being an obvious mystery fan just reinforces my idea that this mystery is being staged for him. It's not just a puzzle for him to solve, it's a puzzle for him to solve using conventions he is familiar with and even enjoys. Is this an interest he shared with someone else on the island?

I could think of Kyrie, but for obvious reasons, she's not the person playing Beato.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

grandalt posted:

Knox's rules? Isn't it already proven that a number of those rules are broken for this story? I would think that would make using them a poor choice.

for the previous games yes, but the current one changed formats with the GM, Bern's enforcing the rules for this one.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Fabulousvillain posted:

Bernkastel enjoys adding gasoline to Erika's burn a little too much. Anyone want to explain how Battler got out of that unharmed? I've never jumped out of a 3 story window before, but I know it's more than high enough to make me not want to.

It's possible, it depends on how he lands (ideally on his feet with bent knees and falling to his side while bracing his head) and where he lands - shubbery will help break that fall, it'll hurt like hell regardless, but it is theoretically possible.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

bman in 2288 posted:

I think this whole thing was meant to be a metaphor about how you shouldn't stop thinking, even after you come across what is most likely the correct answer. Part of the truth is finding all scenarios and using clues to piece together what actually happened. Just because we know Erika is right doesn't mean that they must stop at that conclusion. Also, dunking on assholes is great.

Pretty much I think this is the intent, Eirika blew a loving gasket when presented with a counter, no matter how flimsy it was - instead of either amending her hypothesis or refute it with logic, she throws a tantrum about her detective's authority being disrespected, while Dlanor being the personification of Knox's Decalogue calmly accepts it as it didn't violate the tenets.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's another note: Shannon has the One-Wing eagle tattooed on her thigh, while Kanon wears knickers that completely covers his thighs, thus concealing a very obvious identifying mark.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given George's personality and their behavior on dates, George strikes me as someone that'll at least wait until engagement to get to second base, let alone anything heavier.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Obviously, it's Dooru-chan, the Witch of Entrances and Exits! A witch whose ability concerns the matter of how the absence and presence of pathways and people affect the story.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Then again with Shannon, we only see one thigh.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ZiegeDame posted:

Please.

Her name is clearly Lady DOOROTHY

actually it's Lady Doorothy Janus, peasant.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Graylien posted:

In all the Japanese media I've read I honestly don't think the gender twist has ever ended up involving an actual trans person, it's always just someone cross dressing for whatever. I can never decide if that's actually better or not.

two were definitely commentary on Japanese gender roles/expectations - one handled way better than the other, but one made absolutely zero sense and would've worked way better if the character was trans and not 'parents made her dress like a boy for reasons???'

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

resurgam40 posted:

(Something that Holmes, arrogant dick that he was, never did; he was a firm believer in the scientific method and starting with as much information, and as few biases, as possible, and all* of his dickery was in service to that end.)

* OK, OK, most of his dickery, as he did like to mess with people.

There is the one time he pretty much solved the case without really looking, ended up humiliating himself by being completely wrong - he admitted he hosed up, and tells Watson to remind him of the case when he gets cocky so he doesn't do that again (Yellow Face - he suspected there was a sinister element, but nope, it was just a woman trying to protect her biracial child from bigots).

Erika in the same situation would throw a tantrum and possibly push the child down the stairs for messing up her theory.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm pretty sure Battler had no intentions of letting innocent Beatrice to join in

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm certain Battler's aware, but clearly does not reciprocate, given the cookie scene.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Qrr posted:

Well, we'd gotten hints previously that Rudolf was not a great guy but I don't think we'd heard about him running scams. Though I'm confused as to how "party tickets" are a scam - it sounds like he threw a party, and charged people to come, and it was a great party, and where does the scam come in?

my guess is he artificially creates a shortage of tickets, jacking up their prices.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's sad there's a part of her still desperate that the guy who conned her will return, especially given the massive amount of bullying and abuse she experienced as a kid - she's so starved for affection that she's easy prey for a con man and still holding out the hope that it's not a lie.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Erika is basically BBC Sherlock, only difference is that she doesn't have floaty text when she's detectiveing.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The shower trick might've hosed him over, but it's likely in his eyes worth to gently caress with her.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Seriously, Erika really out sociopath BBClock - because jesus christ, she more or less admitted to potentially murdering everyone just to win and is just so drat proud. A person who does mysteries to just stoke their ego is the worst detective.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Another one of the game's many smoke and mirrors - nobody's exactly what their first impression is, cool collected Kyrie is a frothing cauldron of jealousy and spite, bratty spoiled Maria is an intelligent martyr. Even the ones that are close to what they look like have a different nuance - nice guy George is still nice, but he struggled with Nice Guy-ism and can be loving ruthless if the situation requires.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Zack Ater posted:

Someone can be your mother and not be who birthed you.

that is true, but the fact Battler can't confirm he's Asumu's biological child despite growing up believing otherwise, and Rudolf telling Battler there's something he needed to know before he got killed in a previous game confirms that it's no simple matter of adoption, but some deliberate deception going on behind the scenes.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Erika also has shown she's a terrible detective - she doesn't question contradictions that arises, instead just casting them aside, she zeroes in on a theory and twists evidence to fit it, and her motives are not justice, intellectual curiosity, or a need to finish sometimes but purely out of a need to be right and lord it over others.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

that image makes it look like Beato has a braided rat-tail

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

witchcore ricepunk posted:

My question is, why not send the child far, far away from insane incestuous dad/grandpa? My guess is that Kinzo must not have known about them surviving the fall, since I think he would have handled Sayo's situation differently if he was planning on having them become a proper Ushiromiya. If he did know, why did he go from wanting to bring up his heir to enslaving them?

Given how crazed Kinzo is, It's probable he saw the "death" as Beatrice escaping for good - it'd be the third time, and 3's a very significant number in occultism - so third time's the charm and she slipped away for good, and when the cliff baby was recovered later, he doesn't seen it as a vessel of his beloved witch, but a broken vase.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Speaking of Beatrice, we've got some unanswered questions about her, too, like who the original was and where the gold she had came from. My guesses on those: the time period probably matches up for this to be Nazi Gold. For people who haven't heard that story, the idea is that the Nazis used loot from their victims to finance some of the war effort, and that a lot of that wealth probably disappeared into Swiss banks before the end of the war. There are persistent stories about large quantities of gold remaining, though; there's even some basis for it, because some was discovered during the war. (Look up Merkers Mine if you're curious.) It's not entirely impossible that an Italian might have brought some to Japan, since Germany, Italy, and Japan were the Axis powers. When the war ended, Kinzo probably just appropriated it, and, ah, apparently kidnapped the Italian representative? Something along those lines. It's possible it was consensual, too. If she was a Mussolini supporter, she probably didn't have much of a home to go back to and might have welcomed refuge. I'm just going to pretend that's how it went for now.

It's definitely a very plausible theory, or she fled because she opposed mossolini, or a number of other things, any sort of wealthy aristocrat fleeing the war. I suspect however the actual source of the gold matters very little compare to the relationship it fueled.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Reading over Van Dine's - I can see why his detractors call him a pouncey blowhard - lot of good advice, but written in a very fussy manner, but overall too restrictive and reeks of classism, unless like the No Chinaman rule of Knox's, it's more a response to the generally upperclass reader's disdain for the service class that ends up looking pretty awful in modern eyes.

And definitely clear he's no fan of some of the well-known Holmesian solutions since I recognized at least three references (Silver Blaze, The Dancing Men, and a referent mention of Holmes' cigarette catalog)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

With an older brother, Jessica's life is immediately better for it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Both are pretty good answers - as without any clarification, there's no reason why Will would not think the Kanon in this fragment isn't the same as the previous one.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wonder if it's a partial criticism of the Japanese workplace culture, given part of Cornelia's isolation is her refusal to go drinking with them.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

resurgam40 posted:

I'd have helped you with them flyers, Cornelia! :3: (No really, I hate smoking and never cared for drinking and I find the whole drinking culture of places like Japan to be skeevy in the extreme, so I'm right with her there.)

I'm an occasional drinker, but never like bar culture or the attitude that you drink to get hosed up.

Yeah, the work-drinking culture is really bad, especially for women working in the office - Aggretsuko kind of goes into it that female employees are expected to serve the men and anyone complaining about drink-induced bad behavior is scolded for disrupting the office harmony.

(Aggretsuko is kind of my spirit animal)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Well, Shannon just completely glitched out.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

resurgam40 posted:

Jesus, I feel cold. What the hell did we just see?

My guess, a personality on the verge of breaking down over being exposed as an alter and not a distinct person - but what catches my eye is Shannon's vague reference to being given orders - dodging any clues as to who gave it, thinking that "It" is the core personality.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I looked up DID after this scene, and several personal accounts make mentions of discovering hidden alters, or even the "Main" person in control of the body isn't actually what's considered the core personality for various reasons, it's something to chew on in light of everything so far.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cyouni posted:

No matter what, whether Shannon started assuming Kanon's mannerisms, or flipped out and started stabbing, or just broke down entirely, all of that would be the proof that Will wanted. Yet the game seems to imply that forcing the proof would be a mistake, and the reason behind that is what I want to know.

I suspect with the reoccurring theme of love/care and the game is ultimately set up for a specific person's benefit, that Will forcing them to submit to the proof is a mistake because this is not for him even as an audience member, the person that should learn this truth is Battler, and that this truth must be divulged willingly, not forced out.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Poor Lion looks to be on the verge of getting sick.

Kinzo is pitiful but he deserved a far worse death than he ever got in the fragments, because holy poo poo that poor, poor girl.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

CottonWolf posted:

It really damages the characters. Or perhaps that was the intension, but either way, you can't have that happen then have both Kumasawa, and Genji be like, "Yeah, that happened, we didn't do anything," and expect it to not mark them as terrible terrible people. Will I can understand. He's a detective. Watching dispassionately, then concluding that the end is basically his job, especially with his obsession with motive. Everyone knows the trope where the cop's interviewing the serial killer after they've finally been caught and calmly listens to them explicating the most horrific poo poo. This is basically that for him. But there are no excuses for the Genji or Kumasawa.

Honestly I wonder if that's the point, given we know the author's previous occupation - how many times has he seen family members ignore abuse because they couldn't will themselves to go against the abuser for whatever reason and then tried to either justify the abuse or justify their lack of action when confronted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I admit this is the first time I heard about the RSI fighting after Italy officially surrendered - least until Il Duce was executed.

Who called it that the gold's missing is fascist war gold?

• Locked thread