Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Gosh why do these pantsless nuns have to be so rigid

So it hurts more when Erika pushes them over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Graylien posted:

While true in real life it is unfair within the rules of the story, especially as 'this is a story following these rules' has been explicitly stated for us.

I'm pretty sure that was explicitly not explicitly stated.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

How so? Wasn't it there to make noise and take up her attention while he slipped out? Or at least did something that takes time and makes noise itself?

If that's all, I'll be a little disappointed: the cheese episode made me hope for fuckery with the shape or extension of the closed room. But maybe that will come later.

Oh! That reminds me! For a while, everyone's been saying that there were "three room's worth" of duct tape, but I thought at first that it was three door or window's worth. Was that just me being incompetent?

There was a line saying it wasn't three doors/windows because that would only cover a single room max, that might be what you're thinking of.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Because edits are easily missed:

witchcore ricepunk posted:

edit: This key thing isn't that hard to understand, is it? Shannon and Kanon are two servants. They each have a key in a pocket of their respective outfits. It's not like Sayo ever wears both outfits at once.

Did you have a problem with this explanation?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

how is the south pole riddle the easiest

Honestly, if you're coming across it for the first time it probably isn't. It's just a lot better known than most of the other puzzles, so anyone who's looked at puzzles before will probably know the answer immediately.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Kangra posted:

:confused: That's precisely why it's a bad solution.

Using this logic, the answer is not given, and should actually be anywhere from 57 to 'all of them'.

I'll agree that it's probably what they intend, but like several of them so far, the puzzle is poorly phrased.

It's not as bad as that, it does specify that she goes back and forth between the surface and the underground VIP room.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I mean, I'd have to assume that R07 never would have written Umineko if he hadn't gotten a substantial number of complaints about Higurashi not being a mystery, so you could say the entirety of Umineko was him fighting with some of his audience.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Well, the second murder might have been justified or it might not. I guess the truth is in the catbox now.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
It's the <good> end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I feel like R07 only really had problems with two groups of people:

1) People who treat real-life tragedies as murder mysteries, caring only about solving the "puzzle" and finding the truth rather than how the people involved are affected by the publicity and theories. This is pretty obvious from Erika, if nothing else.
2) People who assume that any mystery that doesn't follow a certain set of rules is a bad mystery, or say that a mystery is unfair solely because they can't solve it; relatedly, people who think mysteries should only deal with physical tricks because stuff like "X wouldn't have done it because they were in love with the victim" isn't certain enough. (I recall seeing an R07 interview where he said that he was sad that the motive was so often an afterthought in mysteries, and one of his goals with Umineko was to write a mystery where you had to figure out "whydunnit" to solve "whodunnit" and "howdunnit".)

The thing is that the goats embody parts of both these groups in different situations. R07 coming down on the goats eating the catbox (largely group 1, denying any possibility of happiness in the Ushiromiyas) can easily be seen as an attack on mystery fans writing fanfic in general, because the distinction between goats as real-life murder fans and goats as over-restrictive mystery fans is blurred. I don't think that was intentional; in fact, destroying the catbox by revealing the single truth was seen as bad in the witches' realm because it would stop them speculating.

From the interview linked earlier, R07 didn't even really have a problem with people who didn't try to solve the murders and just enjoyed the fantasy battles, as long as they still thought about what things actually meant. He was only annoyed at the people who distrusted the author so much as to declare it impossible to reach any truth.

• Locked thread