Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

avoraciopoctules posted:

If we've got new opposing narrators, then I can start from scratch and assume their red text is legit again.

I mean, literally nothing pointed out Beato's redtext as illegitimate, every single person in the narrative treated it as absolute truth. Because that is the point of red text. The same will apply here but it also applied to all of the last game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Eleanore posted:

I was going to ask that the question is more why Beatrice sends the letter and asks the family to solve it every time, but I just noticed... THERE WAS NO LETTER THIS TIME.

Maybe that's not a purposeful decision by 'Beatrice' but rather a side effect of Erika arriving during the time frame where Maria would usually get the letter?

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Natsuhi lost her mind when Kinzo died and she learned the truth of her husband's debts. She began hallucinating mysterious phone calls from a dead child, as well as witches and demons. During one of these episodes while hallucinating she committed the crimes, but, because she was unaware of her actions at the time she's not criminally responsible and thus can't be convicted of murder.

But honestly even if we get Natsuhi off the hook, won't we just be proving that witches are real? I thought that was like, the anti-goal?

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Erika/Bern are kind of frustrating characters to deal with. It's obnoxious to have theories shot down with just 'nah' 'why not' 'cuz nah'. Like I understand that's the point, but it's still very unpleasant to read?

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Joking aside, I finally understand the true power of the Golden Witch: hearing someone be 95% of the way to the correct answer and acting all smug like they're completely off base.

Honestly, it feels like you're on to something here. Against an opponent like Erika - who knows the rules of the game and thus knows 100% for sure that the tricks must be possible without magic - you have to just relentlessly mess with her head until she misses some obvious thing. Battler was too calm and reasonable and gave Erika time to think (and also the ability to retroactively change things which was stupid), and that's why he lost. Beato, though, she's not making the same mistake.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Will is immediately far and away my favourite character. It was killing me that our detective last game operated using almost entirely logical fallacies (even her tragic backstory came about entirely because she somehow didn't realize you can't prove a negative) and basically cheating.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
I love... Will. I love him. He's the only person who has interacted with Maria in any reasonable way.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Will is the best! Will is the best!! Will is the best!!! Will is the best!!!!

I don't have anything important to add just Will is the hero we need in this narrative god bless.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah, part of the whole point of this is that Ange has no way of knowing what exactly was truth or not. Witches can tell you as many stories as they want but it doesn't prove anything.

Also like, as stated, our current Beato as far as we've seen interacted with Kinzo only once, and that was when he wailed sorry at her a lot and then died. So like... she, personally, has no reason to resent or detest him. (Her mother does, if the other stories we were told are correct, but her mother is dead and not interacting with Kinzo in a positive way in this episode anyway).

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Please no allusions to the b-word.

I mean Eva did spend most of one episode as an actual witch in the narrative. 'Witch' is a word that comes up a lot in Umineko, it's not always a clever disguise for a swear word.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
If the answer is 'sahara' I'm going to be mildly perturbed simply on the basis that, in-universe, Ange is hearing these riddles spoken aloud, and 'desert' and 'dessert' sound very different. Like, you stress different syllables. It only works in text, but since it's such a common typo, in text it also only barely works since the instinct is just to automatically correct the word in your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
I'm concerned suddenly that this is going to be a Life of Pi-esque situation, and when we see the magic ending it will be just a delusional version of this, but like, with bunnygirls or whatever.

• Locked thread