Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

idonotlikepeas posted:

So it'll be four weeks instead of two before you start on another one. Got it.

don't call me out like that what if a girl sees this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
All right, according to the group consensus, we'll be starting with the Trick Ending.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Wingless

I walked over to the door that represented the answer I had chosen. Then, I put the golden key into the keyhole, and turned to face everyone.

"...That's right. Sorry."

I gripped the key tightly and twisted. Then, the key and the door flashed brilliantly... and slowly faded away. Beyond the door... was a strangely colored space. If I step into this, I'll reach the future I chose. Before taking that single step, I spoke without turning back.

"The Ushiromiya eagle never turns back. So I won't turn around, but I'll say this! Thank you, everyone. But this isn't goodbye! I'll always be with you all!!"
"Yeah. You won't turn back. But we'll always be standing behind you."
"...That's not it!! Despite it all, I still believe. I'm positive... that everyone will come back!!"
"...Ange..."
"That is good. Ange. I look forward to the day when we all meet again."
"Ange, my adorable granddaughter. We may be away for some time. Here, don't forget this. It's your prize from that quiz party."

"...This was lying next to me when I woke up on the sofa, wasn't it? This was... my prize."
"Take it back to the future with you, and treasure it."
"Thanks, everyone."

I... took a step forward. Forward... into the future.

BGM: None

:siren:Video: Good End:siren:

My nose was filled with the smell of the sea. I must have been standing still for a very long time. This is... a point cutting through the sea.

I was standing on the bow of a boat. I was still holding that thing.

"...Lady. If you stand around there too long, you'll freeze."

BGM: The End of the World

Captain Kawabata's face peered out at her.

"You can see it now. That's the old Ushiromiya family dock."
"Whoo. Not even a trace of it left."
"...I see. I've come back here. It's been a really long daydream... no, a long and windy side trip."

No matter what sort of tales are woven and written about the past, they have nothing to do with my tale of the future. I swore to live life looking only to the future, without turning back. If swearing that has a purpose, then this hasn't all been just a daydream. And besides, I've brought many things back with me from that long side trip. Among those, there are even some things that are immediately useful.

"...But yeah, this isn't going to be useful for anything."

"...What was that?"
"My regrets. I've shed my old shell."
"So, with old Rokkenjima right in front of you, you're having a change of heart?"
"...That's not what I meant. I meant I've had enough of being human."
"?"

I won't waste that long journey. I now have a new way to live. And that isn't as the human called Ushiromiya Ange. I am... reborn.

"Hmm? Sure, whatever you say."

Captain Kawabata buried his face in the driver's seat.

"...What is it, Lady? Why the troubled face?"
"I feel like taking a step into a new life."
"You already have."
"True. If I could sell off all the Ushiromiya family wealth that's burdening me, maybe donating it to some charity, that would be a huge relief. Then, I'd finally be able to escape from the shell called Ushiromiya Ange."
"...It seems a waste of all that money. You could do anything you wanted with it."
"Who cares? My point is that I don't need it."
"...That may be true. Then again, not everything that you'd be selling off belongs to you exclusively. For example..."
"Are you talking about the Ushiromiya group stock?"
"...That's right. They may be little more than scraps of paper to you, but doing something like that could shatter the whole company... I don't think my boss could bear to have that happen."
"Yeah, I know. It's like that for the Sumaderas and President Okonogi alike. There are plenty of people who're in a tough spot because I can do as I please."
"...There's no doubt that you're a VIP, Ange-san. Wouldn't it be better to stay hidden here, instead of doing something extravagant...?"
"What would be the fastest and most convenient way to prevent this VIP from doing as she pleases, I wonder?"
"...Hmm, what would be the best way...?! Well, we could break out the drinks, have a good time, and..."

BGM: Lie-alaiaa

"...Well, that may be true."
"The Sumadera family is chasing me. They even managed to barge into President Okonogi's building with perfect timing. Someone leaked the fact that I was there."
"Are you saying my boss sold you out? Then why would he give you a bodyguard?"
"Since he doesn't know what sort of whims I'll act on, President Okonogi wants to have both the Sumadera family and me indebted to him. That way, he can sell information about me, let me slip out by a hair, and keep track of my whereabouts, having both me and the Sumadera family in his debt while keeping a trump card in his hand."
"You're definitely over-thinking things there..."

Amakusa wore a forced smile, trying to smooth things over.

"After that, you will kill the Sumadera hit men, and President Okonogi will have a trump card to use in negotiations with the Sumaderas. If I die, the Ushiromiya group will be stable for the time being. Plus, they'll be able to draw the line with the Sumadera family. On the other side, the Sumadera family itself will be able to neatly do away with Kasumi oba-san, the leader of their overenthusiastic radical faction. Both sides will finish their bargaining with a draw, and everyone'll be happy."
"...Whew. That's a pretty interesting story you've thought up there."
"The golf bag you brought with you. I've had a look at what's inside. Are you planning to start a war or something with all those guns? But it had a sniper rifle. Would a bodyguard who's always by my side really need something like that?"
"Well, you never know what might happen..."
"Why would a bodyguard, who works best when traveling light, choose to abandon his position for a whole day to get a gun like that, and right before we leave for Rokkenjima?"
"...Lady, you're over-thinking this, okay...?"
"When I reach Rokkenjima, you'll suggest that I go visit the place they died or something, getting me alone. That's the bait. The bait to lure in Sumadera Kasumi and the others waiting for me on Rokkenjima. After that, you'll use that ridiculously huge gun to round them up. The end."
"...Well, what's wrong with rounding them up? Isn't that what a guard's supposed to do?"
"In addition to a cutting-edge sniper rifle, you also had a modern German submachine gun."
"Those are really handy. No matter how many people the Sumaderas have, I could round them all up, no trouble..."
"There was one more. A handgun. Even though the sniper rifle and the submachine gun were the best and the newest models, the handgun alone is beat up and old-fashioned. See?"

"C, cut it out. This isn't funny..."
"A handgun is something you're always supposed to have on your person, right? So, why would you go get a second handgun, and go to the trouble of getting an unusually old one? There's a theory that explains this. That is... that it's the same kind of gun Sumadera Kasumi and the others are using. This is a Tokarev. A gun once used by the Soviet military, which has gotten pretty popular in the Japanese underground. A very likely weapon for the Sumaderas to be using. Also, having Sumadera Kasumi die would be convenient for the Sumadera family as well. They could have leaked... no, exchanged information from their side as well. Therefore, it is possible that you knew beforehand that the Sumadera hit men would be using Tokarevs."

Amakusa was speechless. Was he speechless because this was all true, or because he was stunned by the determination with which Ange pointed that gun at him?

"The plan that you... no, the plan that all of you made together... It was to use me as bait to lure Sumadera Kasumi to an uninhabited island, to set it up so that both sides appeared to have finished each other off, and to settle everything nice and neat for both President Okonogi and the Sumadera family."
"..."

A single line of cold sweat dripped down Amakusa's forehead... With the wind whipping through her hair, Ange spoke coldly.

"...You haven't taken the safety off."
"I know. Tokarevs don't have a safety."

BGM: About Face

It shot into his gut, making him double over in pain. Ange, who knew that he had a gun hidden in his pocket, plucked away his chances of a counterattack. Amakusa, with blood spurting from his forehead, did not close his eyes again.

"...The perfect, easiest way to confirm a death, without even being a doctor."

Kawabata, whose face went pale as he noticed the gruesome scene on the deck, stuck his face out. This time, Ange pointed the barrel of the gun at his forehead.

"Before we left, you said that you needed more time because there was something wrong with the boat. However, if you've been bought, then we can say for sure that you were buying time so that Sumadera Kasumi could set up her ambush on Rokkenjima."
"...I, I have no... no idea what you're talking about...!!"
"You're a cat box, inside of which is a Kawabata who was bought and betrayed me, and a Kawabata who hasn't betrayed me. Now then, how can I kill the part that betrayed me?"
"S, stop...!! Don't shoot...!!"
"I just have to shoot the whole cat box to death."

Then, with a second bullet, she performed a perfect examination. She had... survived. Surely, she had survived the web of conspiracy that had been wrapped around her so skillfully.

Ange returned to the bow of the boat, faced the strong winds head on, and peered into the future in front of her. The boat whose owner was gone... headed towards the endless horizon, on and on in a straight line. She prayed that the truth she truly desired to reach lay before her.

Then, she heard the sound of clapping. The sound of clapping, on a boat where Amakusa and the captain were no more. However, Ange didn't look surprised. She calmly and slowly turned around.

BGM: L&D Circulation

"...Oh, you're here, Erika."
"Anytime there's someone who wants to expose the truth, I am there. *giggle*giggle*."
"Hey, Erika."
"What...?"

The boat had already passed by Rokkenjima. The island's silhouette was now off in the distance. The boat headed towards the endless horizon, continuing on its endless journey. The new Witch of Truth announced the beginning of this endless journey to her fellow witch.

"Sounds splendid."
"At the end, will there be a truth for me to find?"
"After all this, just what sort of truth are you looking for?"
"..."
"..."
"...Hmph. You're right. I know that the truth isn't worth anything. And there's one more thing I've figured out."
"What's that?"
"That bewildered look on Amakusa's face when his scheme was exposed. That was pretty good."
"*giggle*!"

:siren:BGM: Umineko no Naku Koro ni:siren:

THE END

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Wingless

I walked over to the door that represented the answer I had chosen. Then, I put the golden key into the keyhole, and turned to face everyone.

"...That's right. Sorry."

I gripped the key tightly and twisted. Then, the key and the door flashed brilliantly... and slowly faded away. Beyond the door... was a strangely colored space. If I step into this, I'll reach the future I chose. Before taking that single step, I spoke without turning back.

"The Ushiromiya eagle never turns back. So I won't turn around, but I'll say this! Thank you, everyone. But this isn't goodbye! I'll always be with you all!!"
"Yeah. You won't turn back. But we'll always be standing behind you."
"...That's not it!! Despite it all, I still believe. I'm positive... that everyone will come back!!"
"...Ange..."
"That is good. Ange. I look forward to the day when we all meet again."
"Ange, my adorable granddaughter. We may be away for some time. Here, don't forget this. It's your prize from that quiz party."

"...This was lying next to me when I woke up on the sofa, wasn't it? This was... my prize."
"Take it back to the future with you, and treasure it."
"Thanks, everyone."

I... took a step forward. Forward... into the future.

I might have had my eyes closed for a very long time. Even the sparkles below me... seemed blindingly bright.

The wind was cold. However, it told me that I had returned to reality. I was standing with one foot outstretched... over the sea of light below me. How long have I been here? Since the moment I was lured by Bernkastel, just about to take a step off the edge, time has probably been stopped for me.

"..."

I slowly... pulled my foot back in. Then, I leaned against the fence and sat down. The sky... was far away. But so was the ground. This whole time, I've been in this sad place, so far from both of those worlds.

I can't... go to the sky. In that case, I have to return to my world.

"And the elevator is probably the way to go. I've had enough skydiving. Yeah, there really is no chance. No chance of me jumping down from here and surviving by some miracle."

Some Witch of Miracles has already guaranteed with certainty that such a miracle couldn't happen, after all.

Then, I finally noticed them. The guards that President Okonogi had assigned to me. They were approaching the fence with forced smiles and sweat dripping down their faces, trying not to startle me. That's right. I got away from these guys before jumping off, didn't I?

BGM: Haze

"W, well, as far as that... goes..."
"...Sorry. If I jumped, I guess you'd really catch it from Okonogi-san."
"Ange-san... it's dangerous there. For now, please come back to this side..."
"Let me stay here a bit longer. It's okay. I won't get any sudden ideas. Does one of you have a cell phone?"
"Y, yes..."
"I want to talk to Okonogi-san about something. Would you mind calling him?"

The guards looked at each other, then rushed to take out their cell phones. They were worried that I might get annoyed and jump off, leaving them to take the blame.

"Th, the president has picked up... Here..."
"Thanks. Hello, Okonogi-san? Yeah. Sorry for calling all of a sudden. No, it's excellent news. A bit of an early Christmas present. I'm giving all of the Ushiromiya group to you. That's right. In exchange, I have a few things I want."

As she gazed down at the sea of stars spread out on the ground below her, Ange spoke. She spoke of how she would live from now on. Ushiromiya Ange's strange and mysterious adventure... ends here. But my life will continue. After all, there's already something for me to do.

I am ANGE Beatrice, witch of Mariage Sorciere.

As Ange opened the door and vanished from sight, the residents of the Golden Land disappeared as well. Afterwards, only Battler could still be seen. He had now finished doing everything he could for Ange...

"...Close the door. I believe there was some rule about closing this door?"
"Yes, that's right. The rule said that you needed two people to close it."
"Hey, Aunt Eva."
"I told you to stop talking to me like I'm an old lady!"

The two of them stood to the left and right of the door that Ange had vanished through.

"Ange. Let there be happiness in your future."
"After all, we'll always be with you."

Then, the two of them held their hands out in front of them. As they did, a door popped into existence and closed. Then, the door itself faded away...

"...And now, we have completed our role."
"Yeah. This marks the end of the pieces' purpose."
"You have worked hard, both of you. And with this, we shall clean up your game board."

BGM: The End of the World

At a glance, it looked as though the City of Books was starting to fall apart. But that wasn't it. Battler and EVA's world... was being cut off from the City of Books. The world broke apart bit by bit, and the ceiling would probably fall in soon.

"This is goodbye, Battler-kun."
"Yeah. See you later. And, someday, I'll leave Ange in your hands, Aunt Eva."
"At least at the end, try calling me EVA nee-san, will you?"
"..."
"See you later, Erika. Somewhere, someday."
"...Both Ange and I were Witches of Truth. So... just what was the difference between the two of us?"
"...Yes, what could it be?"
"I was... a witch who suffered through the truth. However, I turned my back from that truth. She, on the other hand, was a witch who continued to believe in her truth, even after learning the truth. If she was the real Witch of Truth, then what kind of witch was I?"
"That's right. You... aren't a witch."
"..."

"...<Good>. I'd forgotten."
"We'll meet again, someday. Wherever there's a crime, the detective's sure to be there, right?"
"Yes. When another crime occurs in the Ushiromiya family, I promise to appear."
"So long, great detective."
"So long, my rival. I look forward to the day when the two of us can cross blades again."

Those... were the final words the two ever spoke to each other.

A terrible roar and a cloud of dust blew by, covering everything. And then, everything vanished. Nothing remained. Battler and EVA were both gone. The City of Books was wrapped in silence.

"Yes, Great Lady Aurora."
"...You will take care of my pet cat. Now, I shall go too. There are some things that must be cleaned up in this world as well."

Before too long though, the crowd exploded with a shower of questions about what she meant by this.

"Th, that's... too cruel...!!"
"You can't do this after dragging us along this far!!"
"Madam Hachijo, we have come from far and wide to see it, correct?! How can you... do this now?!!"

"A, a fraud, this is all a fraud...!!"
"Was it really Ushiromiya Eva's diary? Are you sure it wasn't a fabrication you created?!"
"You think you can get away with something like this?!! Show us the book!!!"
"Children of men can be so hideous. Neither you nor I have the right to read what lies in there. However, now that I think of it, this has been quite an entertaining show. Children of men who disturb the sleep of the dead and spread rumors for their own entertainment can be quite amusing, at times like this. Let us go, Bern. I have had my share of entertainment for the night..."

A black cat jumped onto Hachijo's shoulder, and she disappeared off to the side of the stage, the Book of the Single Truth in her arms. Only the angry yells of the massive crowd remained...

And so, the people began to lose interest in Ushiromiya Eva's diary, even doubting whether it was the real thing. Though the weekly magazines were in an uproar over Hachijo Toya's apparently fraudulent claims, there were some who began to say that the Rokkenjima mystery itself was an indiscreet desecration of the dead. It wasn't likely that Rokkenjima could rest in peace just because of something like this. However, people were slightly more hesitant to show open interest in the Rokkenjima mystery in public.

Rokkenjima will probably never find peace. However, even so, compared to how it was before, life will surely be easier. Because, as the years pass, the dust will slowly pile up on it where it lies in the depths of oblivion. At the bottom of the deep sea known as the depths of oblivion, the cat box of the witches will probably get slowly buried as the years pass.

With the tale of that golden rose, let us mark the end of this long story. In the darkness, there was a massive roar and an earthquake. When it passed, dawn began to rise over the endless night...

:siren::siren:Video: Farewell:siren::siren:

BGM: Loreley

"We're in the wreckage of an old submarine base. Do you remember...?"
"It's where it all started."
"*cackle*cackle* The place where we first met, two generations ago."
"Hahaha. Sounds pretty romantic if you put it that way."

Battler and Beato... could be seen in the ruins of Rokkenjima's underground submarine base. The cave's mouth opened to the sea, and the gentle sound of the waves drifted in along with the cries of the seagulls. It seemed that the typhoon, which had closed off the island for two days, had finally gotten bored and gone away.

Of course, it wasn't from the time of the war. It was modern.

"Pile this up on the boat. It's heavy."
"Whoa. This is a gold ingot. I thought they all got buried."
"I thought something like this might happen, so I snuck this one out beforehand."

The single heavy gold ingot was dropped into the boat. I'm not sure how much this is worth by itself, but it must be quite a lot.

"Have you ever driven a motorboat before?"
"You're joking, right?"
"It's easy. I'll teach you."

She wasn't used to this, but after several mistakes, Beato finally got the engine started.

"If you go out that way and hop from island to island, you'll see Niijima before too long. Then, you can just land on a sandy beach."
"...Aren't you coming?"
"I cannot. I am the master of the Golden Land. I cannot leave this place."
"What's to be gained from staying?"
"What's to be gained from going?"
"Let's live."
"...I cannot. I have already committed countless sins in countless worlds. The number of lives I have taken, sins I have committed... is too great."
"But you haven't committed any sins in our world."
"No, that is not true."
"..."
"Go. Go while I'm still in a good mood. Otherwise, I may seal the island in a storm again."

Battler suddenly spun around. When Beato turned around to see what was going on, her body was suddenly lifted into the air.

BGM: Thanks for all people

"L, let go...! Th, this isn't safe...!!"
"Enough screaming. Listen carefully, Beatrice."
"Wh, what...?"
"I'm going to kidnap you."
"...Ba..."

As Battler quietly gazed at her with serious eyes, Beato was lost for words.

"If you have sinned, then it's my sin as well for making you do it. So, let's carry your cross together."
"...Battler..."
"As long as I live, I'll carry your cross. Let's leave the Golden Land. You and me, together."

Beato was now too shocked to say anything at all. Then, tears poured from her eyes, and she covered her face. Battler gently set her down on the boat. He undid the mooring ropes. Now there was no longer anything tying this boat to the island.

"Let's go."

Controlling the boat as Beato had taught him, Battler slowly guided it out...

As the seagulls flew this way and that, the feathers they dropped in the water seemed to celebrate the boat's departure. The brilliant sunlight told them that they were now free of the island's curse.

...The sky, now freed from the seal of the typhoon, seemed too bright to be real. Feeling hot, Battler took off his jacket. It was swept away by the wind and danced through the sky. However, instead of panicking, Battler just smiled as he watched it go. Beato also watched it go... No, she watched the island go. Rokkenjima, and the Golden Land she had spent a thousand years in.

"You will. You won't have a magical butler, but there's lots of conveniences out there in the world. There are all kinds of things you can't find on Rokkenjima. I'll... show you this world of ours."
"...Will I... be able to live...?"

Beato repeated the same words again. Battler knew what she meant. However, no matter what answer he gave, he wouldn't be able to resolve her problem now. However, there was a way to resolve it. Time... and heart. Little by little, bit by bit. Like a chain being cut by falling drops of water, he would have to sever the curse of the island gradually, over a long period of time.

It might take a long, long time. However, someday, she will be free. That's what I believe.

"I am the sinful witch, who toyed with hundreds of deaths on that island. Your world... is too brilliant for me."
"No, you have to live."

I answered immediately and forcefully.

"...Is that... truly the only way to atone for my sins?"
"That's right. And you'll definitely be able to do it someday. Trust me."
"...Battler..."
"Come on, don't look at me with teary eyes. It's embarrassing..."
"*cackle*cackle*... Forgive me. Then, at the very least, would you close your eyes?"
"Wh, why should I... Hey, your face is pretty close..."
"Foolish man... You ought to be cursed for taking the witch away from the Golden Land. That's why you must close your eyes."
"...I... it's... embarrassing for me too."

Then, they slowly drew back. He tried to open his eyes, but just got punched.

"Don't look, I told you not to look at my face!!"
"C, come on, what's there to lose...?!"
"You have no delicacy! Don't open them, not yet!! Why? B, because I want to kiss you again...!!"

The next kiss... was on his earlobe.

"H, hey, quit it...! Now this is getting really embarrassing...!"

He knew he'd get hit again if he opened his eyes, so he resisted with his eyes still shut. Then, after sighing and tickling his ear, Beato spoke in her usual cheerful, bullying voice.

"Yeah, I know. You're an evil, cruel witch."
"And so, I cannot atone for my sins. I'm the sort of witch who can cackle over hundreds of deaths...!"
"Ah, come on... But it's just like you to say that."

The Golden Witch had vanished... like a dream or an illusion. And... so had the single ingot they had carried with them.

:siren:BGM: Cocoon of White Dreams - Ricordando il passato:siren:

Men wearing suits were packing a heavy-looking attache case into its trunk.

"Let me handle all the rest. We'll take care all of the troublesome work."
"I'm counting on you. I'm sure Aunt Eva would be glad to entrust it to you, the person she trusted most."

BGM: Song without a name (Instrumental)

Ange's expression... was peaceful. It was hard to imagine that this was the same person who had always looked so dark to Okonogi.

"...In her later years, the company president was very ill. She might have said some fairly harsh things to you, but I don't believe that was how she truly felt."
"I know. Even I said things I shouldn't have on my bad days."
"...You've changed."
"You think so?"
"...I thought you would never forgive the president as long as you lived."
"You're the one who taught me, Okonogi-san."
"I did? Did I say something?"

"Did I say something that pretentious? Hehhahahahahahahaha."
"It's been a long journey. It really has been a long journey, all just to understand what you told me that day."

Of course, Okonogi understood. He understood that, in her heart, this had been a long journey.

"Contact me when you decide on a new home and account. I won't let you want for anything."
"Any problems with the Sumadera family?"
"Leave that to me. We have your power of attorney as our rallying point. Thanks to that, the Ushiromiya group has a united front. Because of what you did, Ange-chan, the business built by the former president has been protected. I truly believe she would be joyful at your decision."
"I'm just making you deal with all the hard stuff."

Since there was no clear successor, the group had been in danger of splitting. Amidst this, Ange, who had inherited a large portion of the group's stock, was closely watched to see how she would act. However, since Ange had shown no interest in any of this, and had gone around talking about things like selling all their assets and donating everything to some charity, the group had grown very shaky indeed. There was even a chance that an outsider, such as the Sumadera family, would step in and destroy the Ushiromiya group. As disturbing as it may seem, it's a fact that some even wished for the center of all this trouble, Ange, to disappear...

...However, because Ange had a change of heart and decided to help do what was best for the Ushiromiya group that Eva had brought together, the worst-case scenario had been avoided. Okonogi had been named as Ange's successor. Now that he had Ange's trust, there was no more reliable ally to be had. Okonogi himself had certain plans he could carry out based on the knowledge that Ange trusted him. Okonogi, who had carried great responsibility in the Ushiromiya group thanks to his position as Eva's closest confidant, was the most natural choice to be Eva's successor, and thanks in part to his ability, everything had now been wrapped up smoothly. This way, the Ushiromiya group was secure. By now, the Ushiromiya group was the only thing other than Ange herself to hold the Ushiromiya name, so she might have thought of it as her last tie to her family.

"Thanks. Just knowing I have a place to go back to, I can set off on my journey in peace."
"What are you going to do from now on?"
"I'm going to become an author."
"An author? To write novels?"
"It doesn't matter what. It could be novels or picture books. If I have any skill at drawing, maybe I'll do a manga. What I do doesn't matter. As long as I can share my heart with someone."
"...Sounds like you've set a noble task for yourself. I'll be praying for your success."
"Thanks. If I manage to publish a book, I'll send you a copy."
"I look forward to it."

The car's trunk was closed with a clunk. Apparently, all of her luggage had been loaded.

"Ah, yes, allow me to introduce you to the driver. He's a protege of mine. He is trustworthy, and you can rely on him for anything. Oh, and he worked as a guard for the old president for many years, so you might recognize him."
"...As long as it isn't Amakusa."

Achoo! The man walking out of the driver's seat sneezed.

"Hey, Amakusa, just what have you done to her?"
"...Well, he was always the most flippant of Aunt Eva's guards. I was hoping for pretty much anyone else."
"But he was also the one closest to you, wasn't he?"
"...At least listening to him talk can be pretty entertaining."
"The boss assigned me to be his contact with you. If you ever get into any sort of trouble, just let me know."
"And what if I ask you to go buy me toilet paper?"
"Then I'll buy you some feminine hygiene products to go with it."
"...See? The guy's a creep."

Okonogi guffawed. I got into the back seat.

"I guess this is the last time anyone will call me by that name."
"Let me know when you've decided on a new one."

Okonogi patted the roof of the car. At that signal, Amakusa honked the horn and removed the hand brake...

"So, until you've decided on a new name, I guess I'll be calling you Lady."
"That's fine for now."
"...Okay. Where are we going? North? South?"
"...Any recommendations?"
"Why don't we try leaving the main island? I'd suggest Hokkaido. Huge meadows, giant clouds! A novelist writing stories in a log cabin... Sounds awesome."
"Great, let's head south. I was planning to do the opposite of whatever you said anyway."
"Heheh, that's pretty harsh."
"I'd like to go someplace hot. A town with a view of the sea."

Ange closed her eyes. Things had been pretty crazy lately, and she was tired...

"Understood. By the time you open your eyes, we'll be in an unfamiliar land. But it'll be a warm town with a view of the sea."
"Can't wait to see... what you choose."

The car got onto the freeway. It was surrounded by the great river of cars heading east and west. By now, no one could tell which point was the car she rode in.

Changing her name didn't mean that she had given up on being Ange. This was Ange's... No, ANGE Beatrice's mission.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
For the record - the Tea Party and ???? to follow only unlock after the Magic Ending.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: A Single Moment

The desk was covered with a scattered mountain of paper covered with writing. Words were packed onto the pages in a thin, high information density language that only the great ones could read. Each letter of this language carried the same amount of information as several books in the human world. These letters filled every inch of this huge pile of paper. Surely, she had written out every little detail of some world.

She stood up, sat down in her favorite rocking chair, and rocked peacefully for a while.

"How far must one write before they can say they've written it all? That is what has bothered me in all my years of writing. The adventures of humans can be very interesting as a tale. However, even I still don't know when that adventure stops being an adventure. My old friend, who is now gone... once said that a human's life is an adventure from beginning to end, so there is never a correct time to set down one's pen."
"...I do not agree. I think one must put away the pen at some point. I believe one should write a tale to an appropriate point, then leave the aftertaste and opinions to the minds of the spectators. In short, the tale must be put inside a cat box at the appropriate time. The cat box has been the subject of this long tale, so is it not better to refrain from writing its demise, to instead put it in the cat box and leave it there...?"

Featherine... spoke to no one inside the empty study. Of course, no one commented on her words. However, Featherine seemed to hear something. She nodded and grinned contentedly.

"Yes, I know. I will write a bit further, then lay down my pen. Then, it will be time for us to say our goodbyes."

Featherine held up a finger and spun it around, a signal that she wanted to darken the room. The lights in the study dimmed...

"Would you mind letting me rest for a while? During that time, my cat... or rather, my miko will entertain you..."

BGM: About Face

"...Shut up. If you don't want it sewn by hand, I'll use a sewing machine."
"No! No machines! I want you to do it by hand! So please, just a bit more gently... owow!"
"It'll get better if you spit on it."
"Gyah!! Don't just start licking me all of a sudden!"
"Hmm, I think this needle should be thick enough. This'll hurt like hell, so you'd better close your eyes. 5, 4, 3, 2-"
"D, don't say that right before you start!! B, Bern, st, stop, gyaaah, gyaaaaahhh!!"

But despite all this, the two of them truly were close. Though Lambdadelta had been brutally dismembered in the final fight, she had survived. But, unfortunately, she was still dismembered. So, Bernkastel was sewing her arms and head back on with a needle and thread. The left arm, which was still waiting to be reattached, walked around on the bed impatiently with its index and middle fingers. Only the arms were left to do, so it looked like this would be finished soon.

Then, Erika returned, slamming the door open.

"...Why sesame salt? You aren't planning to put it in tea, are you...?"
"It's Erika's toy. Erika, did you bring your chopsticks?"
"Yes, my master!! Great detectives have their magnifying glasses! Furudo Erika has her chopsticks."
"Are you ready? Pour out that sesame salt and use those chopsticks to separate the sesame seeds from the salt."
"Yes, my master!! Please watch my fantastic chopstick-weilding skills!!"
"Yes, good luck. When you're done, make sure you put everything back in the bag."
"...Are you still bullying her like that?"
"How rude. I'm playing with her. Ah, yes, Erika. The mailman just came by with a letter addressed to you."
"A letter?! I sense a crime calling to me. Don't tell me, I'll guess who sent it!"
"...The postmark is from Heaven. It's probably from Dlanor or someone. I'm surprised you're still in touch. Just by the presence of this postmark, see how far Bernkastel's reasoning has taken her."
"Hey!! You can't do that, my master! Van Dine's 9th! It's forbidden to have multiple detectives!"
"...Then you'd better get out. So long, Great Detective Erika."
"My master, how could you?!! I'm Erika, Witch of Truth!"

"Of course we hate each other. You're the only one I love."
"H, how could you, my master!!"
"Lady Lambdadelta! It looks like there's not enough room for the two of us!"
"Are you serious? Are you challenging the great Lambdadelta?"

Erika grinned and grabbed Lambdadelta's left arm that was walking around the bed.

"Here is Lady Lambdadelta's arm. And here is the sliced-open end of her arm."

Erika grinned and wiggled her fingers menacingly.

"Wait, you aren't thinking..."
"Let's see if my rival can handle this."
"Gyah, gyahhahahahahahaahaha, ahhhyahahahaha, stoppit that tickles!!"

...She tickled the inside of Lambdadelta's left arm. Apparently, she was extremely ticklish there.

Apparently, her body was made out of sweet candy, with a bit of spice thrown in. Put your mind at ease, as there is nothing remotely terrifying about this scene.

Erika ran around, screaming 'I've defeated Lady Lambdadelta all by myself, just like my master!'. Lambdadelta growled and hissed at her. Bernkastel kept on sewing, an exasperated look on her face. It was a very peaceful scene...

"Is there anything about how Dlanor and the others have been doing?"
"Gertrude-san has been promoted to a full Inquisitor or something. Well, good for her, yay. Ooh, in addition to her cat, she now has a meowoof too."
"...What's a meowoof...?"
"What, you don't know?! You're so out of touch! They've been all the rage lately! Even I got a female meowoof a few days back. They make awesome konpeitou too!"
"...I'm totally lost, but I'll make sure I stay far away from your homemade food in the future..."

"Well, there's all kinds of combat training. What's she doing?"
"Looks like kickboxing and Chinese Kenpo. Could that be Eva's influence?"
"...Doesn't she look like she'd fight pretty good standing on one leg?"
"Good point. A certain someone must've toughened her up by making her stand on one leg all the time."

"...I'll bet he has a hellish coach."
"His butt's probably swollen by now."
"So, what about Dlanor?"

"Well, why don't we? Crime sounds fun."
"They say crimes occur wherever the detective goes."
"Well, one of these days. If I feel like it, I might drop by to bully her. Oh, and there's also something here about the Chiester Sisters."
"...Wait. I don't want to hear it all at once. Let's hold off a bit for dramatic effect..."
"Okay, that'll do it."
"Ah, I finally grew my right arm back! Do the left one now, please!"
"Let's have some tea first. Erika, bring in a can of black tea and the pot of dried plums."
"Yes, my master!"

With this particular journey over and done with, the Voyager witches rested their wings. It was all so that they could leave on a new journey in search of the next Fragment. A short break between trips, backdropped by the pleasant scent of black tea...

"...If you go north, I'm heading south."
"Then if you go east, I'm heading west."
"...I hope we can find another charming tale like this one."
"Next time, I hope you aren't playing the villain again, Bern."
"You think so? Being the bad guy was pretty fun."
"...I wonder... what kind of tale we'll find next."
"And what kind of tale we'll next meet in."
"To a pair of lovers, the sea of Fragments is tiny."
"Children of Paradise."
"The sea of Fragments is pretty huge."
"Ghost in the Shell."
"We'll meet again. When something else cries."
"...Sounds good. Let's do that."

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

idonotlikepeas posted:

Is that the whole tea party? Have we really just got ??? left? Is the next update the last one?

Yes. This LP ends in about 13 hours.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Le 4 Octobre

The many guests that filled the room chattered and applauded the person receiving an award trophy on top of the stage. The sign in front said 'Biggs Publishing Company Awards Ceremony'.

The projector in front of the audience showed a brief summary of the series. It was... a lengthy fantasy adventure novel that was already more than 8 installments long. The thrilling fantasy story told of the adventures of Sakutarou, a cowardly vegeta-lion who makes friends, learns through his experiences, and grows in his search for the One Fragment. The main character's catch phrase, 'I'll become the King of the Beasts', was even one of the candidates for the Best Phrase to Come Into Modern Slang award. In addition to being a thrill to read, the books also contained many messages for children to learn from, earning it high praise as an adventure novel that parents and kids could enjoy reading together.

However, it hadn't received praise like this from the beginning. For the first six volumes, it went almost entirely unnoticed, but last year, when foreign translations of the series began, it got its big break and suddenly became a huge topic of conversation. Even before this series, the author had created quite a lot of works, but none of those had achieved any public acclaim. However, after this sudden rise in notoriety, her previous works were being reevaluated one after another. It's probably fair to say that recognition of her works was very late in coming.

"Miss Kotobuki...!! Congratulations on your award!"
"Your latest, 'Sakutarou and the Witch's Island', was truly an excellent read!"

Publishing company executives repeatedly showered her with praise.

Nearly all of her royalties were sent to a fund to support needy children, and she herself had served as the director at several protective institutions. Some envious people tried to call this fake charity, but the more that people learned about her, the more those voices withered and died away.

Kotobuki Yukari. By now, that name rang loud and clear across Japan. She sat in a chair, cheerfully chatting with the people who came to greet her. Last year, she was diagnosed with initial cancer, and after the surgery, her physical strength had dropped sharply. Because of this, even in this stand-up awards party, she was given a chair and sat down while greeting people. Some people lamented, saying that if only she had been 20, even 10 years younger, she might have left her mark in history as one of the greatest authors in the 21st century. It had taken so long for her to receive the praise she deserved...

She could no longer be called young. Even so, her determination to write had not wavered in the slightest. The story had gone around that, even during her stay in the hospital, most of her time had been spent typing away. She always said the same thing. That she hadn't finished telling everything she needed to tell. Did she mean that she hadn't fully completed 'Sakutarou's Great Adventure'? This is how she answered when this question was asked by a journalist...

If, by writing even one more book, I can teach just one more child how to find happiness... Then I will spend the rest of my life to write every book, every page that I can. Because I still haven't fully conveyed the precious teachings I was given...

'Harry the Potato'. It was the name of a fantasy series that had become a worldwide hit.

"Thank you very much for your kind words. It's more than I deserve..."
"Oh, I forgot to tell you...! My name is Eks, head of Company X's first editorial department."
"It is an honor to meet you... I hope we have a chance to work together sometime..."

BGM: Rain

"Hachijo... Toya... you say?"

She remembered that name from several decades ago. She hadn't expected to ever hear it again.

"Do you know of Hachijo? Have you met Hachijo, by any chance...?"
"No, I have not... I did go to visit once, but I was an unknown back then. And, since I suddenly barged into the publishing company office, it's hardly surprising that I was refused an interview..."
"Oh, I didn't know that...! Could it be that you were a fan of Hachijo's work...?"
"No. I just wanted to find out what sort of person Hachijo was..."
"I see, I see. Well, the truth is... about that novelist... Hachijo Toya would like to meet with you discreetly."
"...To meet with... me?"
"Yes. Not as a formal interview, but personally, off the record... If you are interested, we would be happy to arrange the meeting... But, of course, this has nothing to do with work!"

Just like I realized that Itouikukuro was Hachijo Toya, did she use my name to figure out my identity?

Ange's name is written 縁寿. 寿 can be pronounced as Kotobuki and 縁 can be pronounced as Yukari.

The Rokkenjima mystery, which was sometimes called the greatest social phenomenon at the turn of the century. That uproar, which dragged in enthusiasts from across the world, had suddenly subsided after an event held by Hachijo Toya, where she was going to 'unveil the diary of Ushiromiya Eva, which contained the truth'. Though she had set up the event herself, she then outrageously disappeared without releasing the contents of the diary, drawing harsh criticism for doing so. However, a very, very obvious feeling--that this was prying into a terrible accident with many victims only for the sake of curiosity--returned to the public sphere. And so, the frenzy surrounding the Rokkenjima mystery faded away quietly...

Hachijo Toya. No, Itouikukuro. She caught the public eye as a Forger of Rokkenjima mysteries. She claimed to have reached the truth, and released groundbreaking works of fiction one after another. She became famous as the driving force behind the Rokkenjima mystery. After realizing that Itouikukuro was Hachijo Toya, I went to her publishing company to ask for an interview, but I didn't get one. At the time, I despised her. Back in the beginning, I thought she might have used the Rokkenjima mystery as a publicity stunt to advance herself, but now I feel a bit grateful to her. If she hadn't refused to show the diary in such an outrageous way, the Rokkenjima cat box might still be the plaything of countless goats.

She was indeed a Forger who had toyed with the cat box, and I still had an uneasy feeling about her. However, at the same time, she was the one who, practically speaking, allowed Rokkenjima to rest in peace. And... did she really reach the truth? Why did she reach something that was infinitely close to the truth, 'even from my perspective'? Even now, after all these years, that's something I've wanted to know, if I could.

"I understand. Does Hachijo Toya live near the city?"
"I was told that a meeting near here would be satisfactory at any time...!"
"I see. In that case, can I ask you to arrange a meeting for us in a quiet coffee shop next Sunday...?"
"Yes, as you wish...! Thank you, thank you very much! I believe Hachijo will be delighted as well...!"
"I have one condition."
"Yes, whatever you say...!"
"I am not going to discuss business, so please refrain from sending anyone from the editing department."
"But of course! We will do as you say."
"Madame Hachijo and I will meet alone, just the two of us. Can I count on you to keep that promise...?"
"Well, as to that... We would, umm, appreciate it if you kept this quiet, but..."
"What is it...?"

BGM: Soul of soul

As soon as I heard that, I felt a premonition. How had Hachijo Toya, a person with no connections to the Ushiromiya family, managed to write about it in such detail? I already felt a premonition of a certain kind of miracle...

When I left on my journey, I abandoned the name of Ushiromiya Ange and stepped into a new life. By now, things have settled down, but when the Sumadera family was still a threat, I wanted to distance myself from that name. Thanks to that, no one was able to get in touch with the new 'me' anymore. However, now that 'Sakutarou's Adventure' has caught the public eye this year and made the name of Kotobuki Yukari famous, maybe it finally reached his ears.

If those who knew this connected the name Sakutarou with my name, then it's only natural that they'd figure out who I was. The number of people who could recognize me from this was very, very limited.

...This person was also well-versed in detective novels, and a man. I could only think of one person who matched. After all, I knew just how many detective novels he had piled up in his room, from the time when his effects were gone through.

My heart was racing, almost like a girl in love for the first time...

At the very instant that the arranged time came, I heard the sound of the chime on the door, and they appeared. It was a man sitting on a wheelchair... and a woman pushing him. My eyes immediately fixed on the man in the wheelchair. And, right away, I saw the traces that remained on his face...

My brother... Ushiromiya Battler...

When our eyes met, he gave a little bow. I hurried to my feet and bowed back. It was a somewhat exaggerated and silly way for a pair of siblings to greet each other after several decades apart. However, my mind was already blank. The miracle I had waited for all this time was now a reality.

"Yes I am... And you two must be... Hachijo Toya."
"A pleasure to meet you. Thank you very much for letting us borrow your precious time today. My name is Hachijo Ikuko. I am mostly in charge of the actual writing. This is Toya. He mostly handles the drafting."

Though the woman who called herself Ikuko was far older than me, she seemed to be unbelievably youthful. It wasn't because she was good with makeup or dressed like a younger woman. It feels strange to say it... There was a strange mystique about her, as though she was immortal and never-aging.

Then, I quickly remembered that she had introduced my brother as Toya.

"...Pardon me for asking, but are you two married?"
"We are not married, but we have been together for a long time."
"True. Looking back on it, it really has been a long time..."

My brother smiled as he spoke. When I learned that, at least for him, these long decades hadn't been a period of isolation and loneliness, I felt an incredible sense of peace and relief. Come to think of it, by now, he was staring back into my face. After all, I had been just six years old last time. It must be hard for him to find any traces he can recognize. However, I'm sure he'll recognize something, just the same.

We kept stealing glances at each other and looking away, like a couple on a blind date. We were both at an age where outside appearances mattered to us. Even though we both knew, we wouldn't let our polite exterior falter. This humorous exchange was extremely embarrassing. I thought it would be a fated reunion, that we would hold each other and sob tears of gratitude together. However, it seemed reality would be different...

But that's fine. It feels like my heart will explode with happiness...

"Let's take our orders. Is coffee okay? What does everyone want?"
"I'd prefer something that isn't so bitter. How about you, Miss Kotobuki?"
"Oh, I don't mind... I guess I'll have cafe au lait..."

How stiff we're being. Even my brother seemed to be finding it amusing by now.

When she said that, my brother and I fell silent and sat up straight.

"Should I start? Or will we start with you, Toya?"
"...I'll go first. I'm the one who pushed so hard for this meeting, after all."

As he spoke, he watched me calmly.

"I came here today... thinking that you might be a certain person. Her name is Ushiromiya Ange. When I read your works and heard your name, I was sure that you were her."
"That's right. How long it's been since I last used that name. My true name is Ushiromiya Ange..."

I gave the exaggerated bow that I'd gotten so used to these long years. We've both aged, haven't we, Onii-chan? I whispered this in my heart.

Now, it was my turn. With a quick apology, I fished around in my handbag and took out a photo.

I had many other pictures of us having a good time, but this one had the best shot of his face. I looked between him and the photo. There was no longer any room for doubt.

"...Mr. Toya. Your true name is... Ushiromiya Battler... san, is it not...?"

The hands of the clock inside me stopped. I wanted him to answer with a yes... Even though I was already so sure, I was still about to burst with the tension. And then, when that instant that seemed far too long ended, my brother answered.

BGM: Steady pace

"..."

Unconsciously, I stared at my brother's face. With unbelievable quickness, he'd acknowledged that he was Ushiromiya Battler. My eyes immediately filled and overflowed with tears... I took out a handkerchief and wiped them away, but I couldn't hold them back... Onii-chan was alive after all...

So why didn't he come back to me right away? If he had been there during my darkest days, how much it would have meant to me... Normally, the thought would have made me curse my brother, but by now, even that emotion was softened. Because, now that I was faced with the miracle of being reunited with Onii-chan, everything I felt before now fell away with my tears. At this moment, I was happy. I wasn't all alone. I've worked so hard to live these past decades with that belief. And, finally, I have been rewarded...

By now, I couldn't even stop my tears. For some time, I continued to sob and sniffle... Watching this, my brother hung his head apologetically. Why didn't he come back to me sooner? It looked as though he was feeling regret for that. But I'm sure he had some sort of reason. He's probably here today to tell me about it and apologize. Already, just by him introducing himself to me today, everything inside of me has been washed clean with tears.

"No. It's only to be expected. For several decades, you've been waiting all alone, believing that your family would return."
"I did believe... I believed you would come home... Onii-chan..."

I held out my hand weakly, and my brother slowly held his out too. Then, I gripped his hand. Regardless of how many long years had passed, it was, without a doubt, my brother's hand. Once more, I had to struggle to hold back the tears...

BGM: Melody

"On that day, I escaped through the underground passage."
"The one that goes to Kuwadorian?"
"I was told that an underground passage led to a hidden mansion on the opposite side of the island. However, the place we escaped to was a submarine base, not Kuwadorian."

I don't know under what circumstances my brother entered the underground passage on that day. At any rate, he went into the underground passage, split up with Aunt Eva there, and escaped to the submarine base. There, he escaped the explosion... and survived...

"From there, I got away on a motorboat. However, it must have capsized somewhere along the way."
"It... must have...?"
"...Please forgive him. Toya suffers from memory loss. His memory from around the time he was drowning in the ocean is hazy."
"Could it be... that he forgot he was Ushiromiya Battler for a while...?"
"That is correct."

My brother escaped from the explosion, but either his boat capsized during his escape from the island, or he fell overboard. Afterwards, he must have drifted somewhere, wandered about half-conscious, and maybe got into a traffic accident...

"On that day, he was lying on the road."
"If she had found me even a little later, I probably wouldn't have opened my eyes again."
"I believe you suspected that I was the one who hit you for quite some time."
"Hey, I've already apologized for that..."

This explains pretty much everything. Either because of the time he nearly drowned, or because of the traffic accident, my brother's memory was damaged. His memory probably came back eventually. However, by that time, I had already set foot into my new life as Kotobuki Yukari. Only a handful of people, including President Okonogi, knew where I was. Even if my brother tried to contact me, there was a very good chance that he wouldn't be able to.

In that sense, I am responsible. I did it to myself. However, I think I did receive the message that my brother sent me. It was through Itouikukuro. I realized that Itouikukuro, the Forger who claimed to have reached the truth, was actually Hachijo Toya.

And then, I requested a meeting with her through the publishing company, to question her about why she was so sure she'd reached the truth. However, I wasn't granted a meeting. In the end, I heard nothing from them, and it's taken all these decades for me to meet Hachijo Toya. If the publishing company had only passed my message on, we could have been reunited so much sooner. However, at the time, I was just a bourgeois girl who liked to throw money around. Why would they pass on my message when I just barged in with no introduction and demanded to meet the famous and popular Hachijo Toya? We probably crossed paths several times. If just one of those had worked out, if we had been able to meet... Just how much would my life have changed?

But this was fate. God had decided that a few decades were needed before this sibling reunion. And during that time, my brother became one half of a mystery novelist. I became a writer of adventure novels for children. You could say that we achieved success in society. My brother and I were able to be reunited after becoming successful. Now, I could do nothing but thank God for bringing about this miracle...

"At the time, we heard through the publishing company that you wanted to have an interview with us. They said that a fan who discovered Itouikukuro's true identity wanted to talk to her."
"...You must've had dozens of fans dying for an interview. You couldn't possibly go to meet all of them..."
"No. They let us know that your name was Ushiromiya Ange. At the time, I had already realized that Toya's true name was Ushiromiya Battler, so I thought you should be given a chance to meet him."

BGM: en-counse

My brother spoke thus.

"...What... did you say...?"
"I refused... because I didn't want to meet you."

Once more, my brother spoke clearly. I was completely confused. I could only sit there in shock and silence, waiting for the words that were sure to follow...

"...I believe I already mentioned that Toya suffered from memory loss. And then, one day-"
"Why did you refuse, when you knew it was me...?"

I cut through Ikuko's words and questioned him directly. What reason could my brother have for rejecting me? I couldn't think of anything. That unpleasant feeling brought up long forgotten feelings of anger inside me...

"You must have known that your little sister was living all alone, being crushed by loneliness. So why... why did you refuse to meet me...?"

My brother hung his head. It seemed more like he was lost for words than apologetic. There was nothing shy about his appearance, and I questioned him again in an even louder voice. When I asked for an appointment with Hachijo Toya, Itouikukuro was already famous as a Forger. Why did Itouikukuro's forgeries reach the truth? It's obvious. My brother, Ushiromiya Battler, explained to her what happened on the island in detail. So, the appearance of Itouikukuro proves that my brother's memory had returned. Therefore, he can't excuse himself by saying that he didn't remember me. In fact, in reality, he didn't try to make excuses. On the contrary, he's openly said that he refused to meet me, even though he knew who I was.

"You regret it...?!! Did you ever try thinking about how I felt?! For decades, for most of my life...! Do you realize what feelings I had to live with...?"

Various emotions swirled inside of me. I realized that I wasn't in control of them anymore. I could only moan, to prevent myself from saying something I'd regret...

"I feel deeply ashamed for doing something so cruel to you. That's why I've searched for you ever since then. For your sake and for mine... I should have met you much earlier..."
"...Then why... why wouldn't you meet me then...?"
"...Miss Kotobuki. As I said before, his memory has been damaged. No, perhaps I should say that his brain has been damaged. It's an aftereffect of the accident."
"But his memory came back just the same, didn't it...?!"
"...Yes, his memory came back. However, that did not remove the aftereffects of the damage."
"I have Ushiromiya Battler's memories. However, because of the damage to my brain, I can't think of those as my own."
"...Can't think of those... as your own...?"
"...Yes. It's true that my memory of my escape from the island is still hazy. However, I've remembered almost everything else."

"Yes, that's right. They're a treasure from when I was a child. I still keep them with me in my handbag..."
"I remember a lot more besides that. I remember you giving Mother trouble because you hated eating seaweed. I remember that you tried to move it to my plate and trick her. And when-"
"If you remember that much, then why can't you think of those memories as your own...?"
"...That's... the result of the damage to my brain. I've been to several hospitals, but it didn't do any good. You probably can't understand it. You can't know how painful it is to have your mind suddenly filled with the memories of a man you don't know..."

He was... terrified that he wasn't himself anymore. His mind was filled with the memories of a man he didn't recognize, and they threatened to crush and overwhelm him. They must have been his own lost memories. However, his brain couldn't accept those as his own.

"Maybe a different man will wake up tomorrow morning and start living life in my body. I can't count the nights that this terror tormented me..."
"...Several times, he tried to convince himself that they were his real memories. He told himself that he was Ushiromiya Battler over and over again."
"But... nothing worked. I am me, Hachijo Toya. No matter how much Ushiromiya Battler's memories flow into my mind. To me, they're the memories of another person. I couldn't accept Ushiromiya Battler..."

...As 'Ushiromiya Battler' said this, he hung his head as his eyes turned red.

"...Then, one day, when he was caught between himself and the other self he couldn't accept, he had a fit..."
"..."
"Fortunately, his life was spared, but the aftereffects forced him to spend his life in a wheelchair..."
"...You mean... he..."

Now I see why he appeared in that wheelchair. And, now I know why he refused to meet with me... He was afraid... that I would call him 'big brother'. He was terrified of meeting me, fearful that the part of himself that wasn't him would grow still further in his mind.

And then... he had a fit... After something like that, it was only natural that Ikuko would tell him that he didn't need to remember Ushiromiya Battler anymore. Bit by bit, he tried to forget that he was once 'Ushiromiya Battler'. Doctor's instructions and medication. With that and Ikuko's diligent care, he slowly began to regain his peace of mind...

"Even so, I.. thought that I would have to meet you sooner or later. To be honest, I didn't get a wink of sleep last night. I was... scared of meeting you..."
"..."
"If I met you, would I die? Yes, I was afraid. However, here I am, talking to you normally."
"...That's why I regret what I did. If only... I could have... met with you earlier... You... and the Ushiromiya Battler inside of me... might not have had to suffer for all those years... Just thinking that makes me feel so... sorry..."

As the one who was once Ushiromiya Battler said this, he broke down crying. I already... understood.

After all, didn't the witches say that he was dead so often with the red truth...? How pathetic for the Witch of Resurrection... the Witch of the Future... who swore that everyone would be together always...

"...Toya-san. Please, raise your head."
"...M... Miss Kotobuki..."

They realized why I had called him Toya-san. By calling 'him' by that name, I myself felt the agitation in my heart subside a little.

"Thank you. You must have suffered a lot. Thank you so much, Mr. Toya..."
"...Uu... uuuuuuuuu... uuuuu..."
"...Thank you, nii-san. Thanks... for pushing yourself so hard to come here today..."

Holding hands, we brought our foreheads close and cried together for a while. Then, we talked of the old days. He remembered many things vividly, even things that I couldn't remember myself. Each time, they made me cry even harder, and he hung his head apologetically. I realized how much this hurt him, so I kept nodding in encouragement with a strange look on my face, something between a sob and a smile.

...Even if he isn't Ushiromiya Battler. My Onii-chan came back to me...

BGM: Steady pace

Even though he had come from far away, he was willing to stay as late as this. We left the store. It's probably best... if I don't meet with Mr. Toya again. It will cause him pain, and of course, I'll find myself bound to the past again. Even so, just one more time. There was one place I felt I had to show him.

"...Sure, I don't mind."

From my handbag, I pulled an invitation written on a folded up piece of A4 paper. The pair of them spread it out.

"My. Now this looks like a splendid event."
"...Come to think of it, you have been involved in a lot of things besides novels, haven't you?"
"On that day, would you lend me your time just once more? That way, I think both me and my brother will be satisfied. I think... it might also be a chance for you to free yourself from the weight of my brother's memory, Mr. Toya."
"...I... don't believe we have any plans for then. As long as we can finish the afterword for the book."
"Okay, Miss Kotobuki. We'd be happy to join you."
"Thank you, Mr. Toya..."

BGM: Le 4 Octobre

...The two people who called themselves Hachijo Toya visited the city once again by Ange's invitation. A car stopped in front of a large building. Ikuko unfolded the wheelchair with a practiced hand, lent a shoulder to Toya as he got out of the passenger's seat, and helped him into the chair.

"...It looks splendid."

"Madam Ikuko, Mr. Toya. Allow us to welcome you to the Fukuin House."

They were welcomed by Ange and some staff members.

A welfare institution for unfortunate children who had lost their parents. In the past, this institution had been established thanks to Ushiromiya Kinzo's support. However, that support had been interrupted, and the Fukuin House had been forced to shut down for a time. Decades passed. And now, the institution would be revived. Revived by the hand of Kotobuki Yukari.

"...It's a pleasure to see you again, Miss Kotobuki. Thank you for your invitation. This is from the two of us. It's not much, but I hope the children enjoy it."
"That's not the reason I invited you here... My apologies..."
"Don't worry about that... The tales of the future are always woven by children. After all, without them, the tale of humans will not continue."
"Children are treasures. So please, let this be useful."
"...Thank you very much. We have a form for donations, so if it isn't too much trouble..."

The Fukuin House had been drastically remodeled in recent years. In the hopes that children would one day be able to remember this as a fun place...

Ange used her own money to massively remodel it into a beautiful establishment. By now, she had accumulated a lot of wealth as a novelist, but even without that, she had been saving the tens of millions of yen she got from the Ushiromiya group each year under the name of living expenses. This money had been used generously to help the children.

Pictures and crafts created by the children. Every corner was filled with things on display. The contrast between this elegant building and the school atmosphere was amusing. The yells and laughter of kids running around drifted in from the distance.

"...I imagine that many of the children come here hanging their heads in sorrow. To think that they could be here laughing like that... You really have done something great."
"All people can use magic to create their future and find a Fragment of happiness. This is a witch's school for teaching that magic."
"The 'Witch's Dormitory' from Sakutarou's Great Adventure?"
"...Oh, how embarrassing. So you've read it too..."
"We read straight through it right after our last meeting. I really must bow my head, not only at your talent as a writer, but to your warm heart."
"How embarrassing... This way, straight to the end."

Pushing Toya's wheelchair, we advanced through the corridor and reached the great doors at the end. The happy voices of children came from the other side. Apparently, this was where tonight's party was being held. There were several jack-o-lanterns cut out of origami. Tonight... was the Fukuin House's Halloween party.

"Here you are, Mr. Toya."
"I see, so it's trick-or-treat."

He was handed a bag filled with candy.
A teacher warned him in a small voice to watch out for rampaging children.

"...Children. Haven't had anything to do with them for years."
"Please tell the children stories of dreams. We all welcome guests here..."
"That's tricky... What should I tell them?"
"'When you're handing in your manuscript, choose your publishing company wisely'?"
"'Don't pay any attention to reader polls'."
"*giggle*giggle*. Then I'll open the doors. The children are waiting."

:siren::siren:Video: Curtain Call:siren::siren:

BGM: Soul of soul

At the sight of the hall... Toya opened his mouth in wide-eyed shock. This was... the great hall of the Ushiromiya mansion. No, that's impossible... This is clearly the Fukuin House. This hall... was just like the one in the Rokkenjima mansion...

"...What a splendid hall."
"This is... a replica... of the hall in the Ushiromiya mansion... on Rokkenjima..."
"Yes. I've reproduced it as well as my memory would let me. The details might be wrong though."
"...No. This really is... the hall of the Ushiromiya family mansion... on that day..."

And then, Toya's eyes fixed... on something at the other side of the room.

"...It's... exactly the same as my memories..."
"The artist hired by Ushiromiya Kinzo to paint the portrait had a photo. I had him draw it again based on that."
"..."

I was simply frozen in shock. The long, large table was filled with Halloween party food and surrounded with children stuffing themselves.

The teacher said 'everyone, we have guests'. The children all looked at us at once, then stood up and ran forward...

BGM: Engage of marionette

The smiles and eyes of the children... welcomed me.

Yeah, I know. I know... all your faces... It's been so long, far too long... I'm finally here, at last...

:siren::siren:BGM: Cocoon of White Dreams - Ricordando il passato:siren::siren:

Those of you who followed me on this journey until the very end, thank you. May we meet again some day within the sea of fragments.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

That's going to be the end for this LP. You've been a wonderful audience.

Wherever you go from here, may you have a safe voyage.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 29, 2017

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
"Hey Ikuko, I think I found my sister but I'm afraid I'll have an alternate personality megastroke if I talk to her, but like can you send her an email and let her know what's up so that she doesn't have to spend another 20 years thinking I'm dead"

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Happy birthday to Beatrice, by the way. It took a lot of careful planning to get the finale to happen today.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
If we're talking about the impressions of the previous thread, it stopped before that - back in early EP3, right when Rosa begins the Kuwadorian story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The LP has at last been archived.

Thank you once again.

• Locked thread