Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

My money's on Sayo and newly human Yoshiya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cyouni posted:

Yes, she's wearing pants, but think about all the other placements we've seen. We've seen so many variations that it's hard to believe the left thigh again is pure coincidence.

Yeah. I'm telling you, this is going to be the heiress Sayo episode where she flaunts in and declares herself the true inheritor with icy imperiousness, and Yoshiya will play the role of her brooding handsome younger brother. We're going full Gothic novel.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Will Wright presents Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Rodyle posted:

So I'm given to understand that y'all have been unsatisfied by all the Mystery Side reps up to this point.

He's making a good first impression. He straight up calls out Erika, which is always a good start.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 4, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That's an impressive leap.

witchcore ricepunk posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how hosed up would he feel about being turned into a VN bishounen?

Who wouldn't want their legacy to be being turned into a hottie in a video game? Really Knox got short shrift.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This might explain Shannon's disproportionate... appearance.

Breast Binding Technology X was actually Bra Bomb Technology Y the whole time?!?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tired Moritz posted:

tiny bombs indeed.

Fine post/av combo there.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

All these people seem nice. Given that this is Bern's master plan, this is highly suspect.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZiegeDame posted:

Am I to assume that someone involved in the chain doesn't know how to spell Leon, or that this is deliberate and this new kid is supposed to have an implied connection to Sakutaro. (In that they are both fictional and were both killed by their 'mother.')

Good catch. (Though I'm not sure the Cliff Baby was fictional!) I'm also willing to bet that the -on at the end of Shannon, Kanon and Lion's name isn't accidental either, even if they're written with different characters.

The fact that both Lion and Kanon exist is potentially evidence for the dual Kanon and Kanon/Shannon theory I laid out earlier. I'm still not sure it's particularly convincing, but, as everyone's said there's no way that that Lion isn't meant to be the Cliff Baby, and her being alternate universe Shannon would therefore make a lot of sense, so we have to explain why Kanon's still there.

E:

ZiegeDame posted:

e: on skimming the profiles most of this speculation hasn't come to pass, but then the profiles have said Kinzo is alive so what do they know

If the cat box is "bigger" is guess it's genuinely possible that Kinzo is alive this time. I suppose they have to give us Kinzo unfiltered by other people's perspectives of him at some point, I was just expecting that would come by flashback rather than him being resurrected.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 5, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZiegeDame posted:

But Lion sure is.

I would guess that Lion's as fictional as Bern/Lambda/Dlanor/Magic Battler/Wright. Putting aside the fact that everything pre-1998 in universe is fictional because it's being written after the fact. Everything on island is only known from the notes. The first meta-layer appears to be a fiction observed in the second meta-layer, which itself is being written by Hachijo. It's ambiguous whether Hachijo is Featherine, but I think we have to accept that Featherine's a self-insert (Hachijo OC, do not steal) into the (written) story rather than having any external existence, otherwise we have to accept that everything is really happening and we have magical parallel universes situation, as people have a nasty habit of jumping up to meta-levels where they shouldn't exist. The only level they don't do that to is Ange's, excepting the bits where she has an overactive imagination.

That's may roundabout way of saying that who knows if Lion was really there that day. My suspicion is "Yes, but not as Lion". The question I want the answer to is, fictionally, when did this Rokkenjima branch from the ones we've seen thus far.

Qrr posted:

Van Dines rules in general are going to work very badly with Umineko, though. But we've already seen some in red.

Not in the context of this case though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cyouni posted:

It's interesting how thus far this story has reformatted itself around Van Dine's rules - our presumed culprit is no longer a servant, and this his 11th doesn't apply.

But Kanon still exists. I wonder if "is pretending to be a servant" skirts the lines.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Seconding the no Twin Peaks spoilers. I promised my partner to wait until they were back to watch any more of the new stuff. I can definitely see the link though. Especially, to talk around it, the fuzziness about how and why certain characters are acting as they do relating to the murders. E: Fire Walk with Me is exceptionally Uminekoian now I think about it.

If I were Will, I'd be pretty uncomfortable about a stranger pinching my butt minutes after we met.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 6, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

resurgam40 posted:

but no particular attachment to the male identity nor any idea what it really means to "identify" with a gender.

I just want to say how much I agree with you here, as a non-asexual. I've never been able to understand even in an abstract sense* how genitals relate to identity. If I kept my sexual attraction to women and just switched genitals, I can't conceptualise feeling any different about myself. My image of myself is completely absent my "gender identity". The problem with that is, of course, you then start to wonder whether that's actually true or if subconsciously it is there, and if it genuinely isn't, whether it not being able to understand is a luxury you gained from being born with a penis to begin with.

*E: I guess I meant emotional sense here, I can see how if you grow up in an environment that values 'masculinity' or 'femininity' in the abstract it would effect your identity.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

After all we've seen, I think we are too jaded to complain about pinches. It could be so much worse.

Definitely. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't amount to much, it just doesn't particularly make me keen to ship them.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 6, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Confused Llama posted:

I have to say, it feels kind of strange for the game to still be acting so coy about Shannon and Kanon unless there's still something major we're missing.

We might have had it wrong the whole the whole time. That update seems to push pretty hard that both Shannon and Kanon are masks.

Also, that felt the most Higurashi of anything we've seen thus far.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Robindaybird posted:

My guess, a personality on the verge of breaking down over being exposed as an alter and not a distinct person - but what catches my eye is Shannon's vague reference to being given orders - dodging any clues as to who gave it, thinking that "It" is the core personality.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Not only do neither Shannon nor Kanon recognize Lion, Lion doesn't recognize either of them either. This should not be possible in any reasonable universe based on what we know from previous episodes. Therefore, there must be something unreasonable about this universe.

Putting these together: Could Lion be the separated embodiment of the core personality? We've in a bizarro world where Cliff Baby simultaneously lived and died? * The cat box is closed, so we've hit quantum Rokkenjima.

*E: Or rather was accepted and not accepted.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 7, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Well, that was exactly as hosed up as we thought it was going to be...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

tiistai posted:

I believe this is somewhat less their character traits and more an unfortunate side-effect of what Ryukishi07 was trying to do when presenting some (all?) moral dilemmas in this story: leaving it entirely up to the reader. The more evidently reprehensible the issue, the more he had to kind of lean in the other direction in order to avoid both explicitly condemning and excusing the offender.

That's my take on it at least. Whether that's something he should have done, well... that's also up to the reader.

It really damages the characters. Or perhaps that was the intension, but either way, you can't have that happen then have both Kumasawa, and Genji be like, "Yeah, that happened, we didn't do anything," and expect it to not mark them as terrible terrible people. Will I can understand. He's a detective. Watching dispassionately, then concluding that the end is basically his job, especially with his obsession with motive. Everyone knows the trope where the cop's interviewing the serial killer after they've finally been caught and calmly listens to them explicating the most horrific poo poo. This is basically that for him. But there are no excuses for the Genji or Kumasawa.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

As someone know knows literally nothing about bombs, how many torpedoes would it take to blow up a mansion?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dlanor remains the best. Gertrude also wins the dark horse letter award for writing about cute cats.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

idonotlikepeas posted:

They also forbid love interests (rule 3) and atmospheric writing (rule 16), and, well.

Not sure rule 3 is violated, as the love interest is on a separate level to the mystery. VD's rules weren't really written with metafiction in mind.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. The implication is there. But it's also possible the story's leading us in that direction as another example of "without love it cannot be seen", and because we all have such bleak views of Kinzo we're just assuming the worst. I think that's unlikely, but it's certainly possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pleaaaase let Beatrice 2 just be some rando :pray:

:(

• Locked thread