Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
There's an extra TIP, Our Confession, and a corresponding lengthy canon section added to the EP8 manga, which come closer to telling you the tricks behind any of the actual locked rooms (aka the ones that aren't 'it wasn't locked' or 'Yasu faked their death and did it'). Though it's probably better to wait until more of the way through EP8 to talk about them in detail. But I think just about everything has a solution stated somewhere or other at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
More to the point, Beato says in this update that Battler's story of EP8 is not about her. It's not about Yasu. It's just about Ange's perspective and Ange's choices. I don't think Ryukishi is trying to say that Kinzo should be forgiven, or that it's wrong for Yasu to hate him for how his reprehensible actions caused a great deal of suffering. But Kinzo's sin really means next to nothing to Ange, and... it's not an appropriate topic for a six year old girl anyway, is it?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

The debate isn't about the Monty Hall problem per se. As presented it has one valid answer that's already been explained above. Rather, the debate is about how tweaking various parameters should change things if at all, such as whether the host deliberately opens an unchosen door with a goat (which implies foreknowledge on their part) or instead accidentally trips and opens such a door (which does not necessarily imply foreknowledge).

I was reading the Wikipedia article on this. So knowing that the host always opens a wrong door versus knowing that the host opens a random door that just happened to be a wrong one changes the probability, even though the two outcomes are indistinguishable. That's also interesting and probably even better for illustrating how this stuff is thematically relevant to the VN.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, we haven't quite gotten the part where it's fair game to talk about the EP8 Manga, but there's a canonical section that was added in under direction of the author solely to answer questions like this, which EP7 left somewhat ambiguous. I hadn't read the manga part until very recently myself and it was very elucidating. So I hope we can have some discussion about that later on in this episode.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This part is quite different in the manga and I agree that it's better. Also, this is where they stick the interlude for Confession of the Golden Witch which is really very important.

Basically Will's fight with Claire in EP7 and then all of EP8 up to this point are much more explicit and clear in the manga. I think Ryukishi didn't want to spell everything out, which is why the VN deliberately leaves quite a few things open to interpretation, but eventually was convinced to use the manga as a authoritative solution. This is where the manga differences basically end, also; the finale is basically identical. I'm not sure what the thread policy is on talking about the answers the manga provides, but if anyone is interested in them, this would be a good point to read it since they're all on the table by this point in the story.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Well, in terms of this chapter... (Spoilers for manga section up to this point in case people want to read it themselves)

The main difference in the manga for this section is that it explicitly confirms that the EP7 Tea Party version of events is essentially correct. When Ange revives in the Golden Land and sees her parents, she recollects the scene of them killing George and Jessica from EP7. Also, Beato apologizing to Ange is a much bigger deal in the manga, because she speaks directly as the true culprit / Yasu rather than the fantasy version of Yasu's Beatrice persona. The scene focuses much more on Yasu and what they did. Everyone acknowledges their own guilt in making it all possible, and Yasu basically tells Ange not to follow in their footsteps by indulging in self-delusions to run away from reality. Also that the Golden Land is exactly the land of the dead and for Ange not to follow her family there, though that didn't really need confirming. The sentiment comes off as much more sincere coming from Yasu. I also like Ange saying that she doesn't want to become stuck thinking that she shouldn't have learned the truth. It's about her being able to accept the truth of what happened, the whole truth, seen from many different perspectives, and trying to become a better person by doing so.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Your music link for lastendconductor seems to be broken, which is a shame because it's awesome.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This scene is also slightly different in the manga and explicitly connects it to the EP7 Tea Party. Basically Sayo, having been missed by Kyrie, decides that their plan has fallen apart and might as well go see if there are any survivors. Meanwhile Battler is going through the bodies in the main mansion when Sayo comes across him. Battler identifies Sayo as being Shannon. Sayo doesn't go into the Shannon/Kanon stuff, but confesses to having set up a murder plot that went wrong and that the island is rigged to blow. Battler doesn't ever see the identity of the culprit(s). Sayo persuades Battler to escape rather than confront the culprit, with both assuming that everyone on the island has already been killed. Then the rest is pretty much as-is.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I wonder about that part, actually. I'd think Kyrie would have known if she got the gun without any bullets in it, but the fact that she misses Sayo and then misses Eva twice seems to indicate there was something wrong with the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I think that the real Battler would never choose to abandon Ange. That would be very inconsistent with how he's been portrayed in the story. So I always took it at face value that Toya was a separate, new identity. It's all somewhat ambiguous how it works though. One funny thing that the manga adds about Toya/Battler is that the reason EP3 is so very anti-Eva is because Toya had been under the impression Eva was the murderer too. All Sayo said was that one of his family members was the culprit, and the only survivor was Eva, so Toya jumps to the wrong conclusion and helps Ikuko write a spiteful Forgery directly accusing Eva. But Eva reads it and realizes it was written by Battler, and tells them what actually happened.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with the LP, Prof. I enjoyed reading everyone's reactions and theorizing.

• Locked thread