Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Ask them to give examples of grimdark VNs because I'm curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
What a terrible solution that was. Just like with Layton puzzles, I suppose.

Anyway, yeah, A obviously.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Then we get into the dangerous area of deciding to discredit the statements of his abused survivors.

Statements made in what are essentially mystery novels authored by Yasu and Tohya, right?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Good old Snufkin

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Presumably a very small planet would be a very cold place

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well technically only the stew and the ice cream are making claims they could be lying about and the ice cream being melted makes more sense.

If "freshly made" means they were made today, white wine takes much longer than a day to make so that doesn't seem right. Maybe it just finished today? Fresh bread would probably take more than an afternoon to go hard too, but depends on the bread I guess.

Well regardless I'll go with C, wine just to avoid the obvious melted ice cream thing.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Cyouni posted:

Melted ice cream is likely considered to be the liar since you can't eat it.

But I've eaten melted ice cream many times :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
"I've thought of something even more interesting. *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*! I've worried over it a lot. What could I do to make things horrible for you? I thought about killing you. I also thought about erasing all of my wealth, leaving you penniless, and selling you off to a slave trader or something. Wouldn't that be wonderful? You'd have your arms and legs chopped off and be forced to take customers until you died. Aaah, that would be so wonderful, *cackle*cackle*cackle*!!"
"...Having fun?"
"Oh yes, it is. It's fun to scare you, but very soon, I will die. So I thought about how I might continue to cause you pain even after my death. And then, *cackle*cackle*!! It was surprisingly simple. I called you because I wanted to talk about it."

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ProfessorProf posted:

"Also, you do understand about 'that', right?"
"That...? Well, I'm not sure what you mean."
"...Playing dumb, are we? Well, that's okay. Despite how you talk, you've never betrayed my expectations in the past. If you're clever about it, you won't even have to get your hands dirty. There should be plenty of ways to handle it."
"...Heheh, I'm not sure what you're talking about."
"...I realize that Ange-chan is a child to be pitied. Still, all she had to do was play the part of a secluded young lady. When we joined forces after Eva-san's death, we reached an agreement. This little portable shrine of ours is important, but she's also a liability. We're talking about world peace here, right?"
"...So, watch and see how it goes. I hope those Sumadera black-suits know how to shoot a gun right."

<Very good> thing

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, C. "b". The Sahara thing is what came to my mind first. I'm also guessing that the original might be about changing it to sabaku, meaning desert.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Actually now I've got it

It's "Robo OS" which means Android which is known for code naming its versions after confectionaries

It all makes sense

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ZiegeDame posted:

That wordplay wasn't changed at all, Prof. It was just ruined. :mad:

Today's riddle is D. 20 and I don't know if all the stuff about police and ambulances would mean anything in Japanese or if it's just a distraction from:
code:
99 + X = a
130 - X = b
|a - b| = 9  #Or 99/2 but we're not bringing decimals into this.
And the fact it's multiple choice makes trial-and-error really easy.

Yeah I don't think it's anything other than the theme. The possible values for X are 11 and 20, and only D. 20 is given as a choice.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh dang I should've known

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Doc Hawkins posted:

Did they have pianos in y'all's kindergartens? :confused:

Yeah, of course. There was quite a lot of singing in kindergartens and preschool.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
lol you guys

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm not sure why you're all hung up about physical damage to the genitals. My interpretation of that line was some manner of brain damage (pituitary gland, lack of FSH/LH) which kept Yasu from developing a sex drive, hence "incapable of love".

There's a manga page where Yasu is reading an anatomy book, looking very puzzled.

Yasu's sex drive is probably fine. If nothing else the character designs betray a healthy interest in thighs. :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, E. was my guess as well. Rosa can carry 8 ingots out, doesn't mean she should or would.

Zack Ater posted:

....isn't the underground VIP room where you're safe from the explosion?

Not at all, the explosives are actually all stacked right there in the next room over.

If the VIP room stayed intact surely the police would have found all that gold.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 15, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well that seems surprisingly straightforward. C. Rika, obviously.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
If none of them know who is who, how can Miyoko be telling the truth when she has to be just guessing :thunk:

Oh well, E. seems to be the only order that fits, yeah.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Confused Llama posted:

What I remain more interested in is how Beatrice knew that in Ep. 4, and why it seemed to mean so much to her

Like ZD said, it didn't matter to Beatrice at all. She knew about it the whole time and only brought it up when she wanted to step down from the game but wasn't allowed. As for how she knew about it, Rudolf did talk about the matter with Krauss and Natsuhi sometime after Battler left, right? Maybe Yasu, Genji or Kumasawa overheard that conversation or some other one Krauss and Natsuhi had later and then figured it out. Maybe it's some kind of meta magic. Doesn't really seem like a very important detail to know.

e: To be clear, he talked about his relationship with Kyrie, probably not that Battler was her son. Still, Yasu must have found out about it somehow after all.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 19, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Confused Llama posted:

Hm, I guess that makes sense. At the time, I'd read it as intended to be a hint to try to get Battler to remember what he'd forgotten because of the whole "if you were really Battler, you would know who I am" angle, but I guess I just got hold of the wrong end of the stick there.

If I'm not mistaken R07 admitted the whole thing was an intentional red herring, so don't feel too bad about it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Sefal posted:

Is there anywhere you can buy the ost?

Not really, the tracks (well, almost all of them) have only been released by their composers on their own respective doujin albums. A compilation exist though, so :filez: is basically the only realistic option.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kytrarewn posted:

I was also a bit distracted by the purple truth about George that "In the incident regarding Shannon at least, he cannot be the culprit" since it was the only time (outside of the culprit groupings) that the motive played a part in the narrative.

It didn't, the narration says he was the only one with an alibi somehow.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ZiegeDame posted:

And that somehow is, I think, an artifact of the fact this story had no 'reader.' It seems like that means it's less of a story and more just an outline. The skeleton of a story with none of the meat. So it doesn't have to explain why George couldn't have done it, all that matters is he couldn't.

I think it's less that and more Bern just not caring about the details. Having a Reader means you're effectively listening to the story second-hand. The narrator in the story can be unreliable because you're not seeing the actual text (or the "guts") that the Reader is conveying to you, as the interviews in EP7 showed. In this case, however, Bern is letting them read the text on their own.

I can't really remember any specific examples off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure there are some very minor hints for example in EPs 1-4 that Beatrice is the Reader there.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 28, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
:allears:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Nevileen posted:

Is someone also going to do the little TiP he gets? Because I could probably whip that up if no one else will a little later in the story or after the whole thing finishes.

I was planning on doing all the remaining TIPS... a couple months back. I've been bogged down with ~issues~ ever since and I'm not seeing the motivation returning in the immediate future, so go ahead.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

EagerSleeper posted:

Finally my ship of Erika/existing is canon. :madmax:

Edit: does Natsuhi being a culprit account for the discrepancy of the narration saying she destroyed the master key even though the narration said it was never found?

Krauss only says they "tried to retrieve it". Apparently they couldn't pry it off Genji's dead hands, but destroying it was a possibility.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Nevileen posted:

Ahh, gotcha! Which ones are the remaining ones? I could go look, but :effort:

Whose Tea Party? and onward, plus the Labor Thanksgiving one, so there's 10 left. I think they're all even translated already, so I was just going to check the translations and edit them to less clunky English (plus doing the LP format thing), but I haven't been in the mood for it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Witches may or may not have been involved in the Rokkenjima case but that doesn't mean Featherine isn't a supernatural being. :colbert:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Sa-yo = 34
Yo-shi-ya = 4+4+8 = 16

Besides 34 being a Lambdadelta thing, Furfur is the 34th and Zepar the 16th spirit/earl of Hell

Coincidence? I mean this is R07 we're talking about so probably not

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
As we've been saying the whole time, this is a splendid bit of magic, of course. I don't really care about the order but let's say trick ending first.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TheArchimage posted:

But what solid evidence does Ange have that she's right? None. It's all circumstantial evidence, and she decided beforehand that she would not accept any evidence contrary to her reasoning.

To be fair, when you've determined you're being tricked, there's little reason to accept evidence to the contrary from the one who's tricking you.

On our level of meta, that person would be R07.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Battler is dead, confirmed in red, what else could you need

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Thanks Prof for reminding me why I love this so much

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

PoorWeather posted:

Sadly, the only translation done of it that I know of (conducted by AnimeSuki user Wanderer) was based off scans that were missing a few pages, and is so incomplete.

Rather than missing scans, I'm pretty sure it's because the Japanese transcriptions at umineco.info intentionally omit some parts from TIPS that are available only commercially.

Aah I really should take a look at editing Our Confession even if it's the last one I do :negative:

tiistai fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

resurgam40 posted:

I felt sorry for them, yes, but they were still murderers, you know? Think back- did you feel any different about them at that point?

Yeah, I remember not falling for the "lol I trolled you all along" thing Beato and Virgilia were trying to pull at the end of EP3. I thought she was clearly forcing herself to go along with the game for some reason and EP4 only made it more obvious.

Rodyle posted:

the only thing I cared about at that point in the story was when battler and beato were gonna make out to be honest

• Locked thread