Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Holy poo poo, Krauss is an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Welp, this update looks like the final nail in the coffin for the Kanon=Shannon theory. We've been told in red that save for Erika, the number of people in this game is exactly the same as in the previous games, and Battler, who we consider our only reliable viewpoint has personally seen everyone in the same room.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but it's only Battler who assumes that the amount of people on the island is 18. Lambdadelta only says in red that "the number of people in this parlor now is equal to the total number of people on this island." That's it. Shannon = Kanno theory is not dead yet

ProfessorProf posted:

"Of course, it's plus 1 over the previous number. But don't worry. Furudo Erika only increases it by one person. Besides her, the number of people on this island is exactly the same as it was in the previous games."

We know for certain(stated in red) that:
-In games 1-4 there were no more than 17 people on the island
-In game 5 the number of people on the island is larger by exactly 1.
-Thus, there are no more than 18 people on the island in this game
-All people on the island are at this moment present in the parlour.

Now, Battler has personally seen all the following people in the parlour simultaneously:
-Erika, the new arrival
-Kumasawa
-Shannon
-Genji
-Krauss
-Natsuhi
-Gohda
-Kanon
-Rudolf
-Kyrie
-Eva
-Hideyoshi
-Rosa
-Maria
-Nanjo
-Jessica
-George

18 people in total. That's the exact number of people on this island. Thus, there were exactly 17 people on the island in the previous games.

:ssh:Plus, y'know, Battler's seen Kanon and Shannon in the same room at the same time with his own eyes.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 25, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Holy poo poo, those are some outfits. Did pants kill R07's parents or something?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
You've linked the wrong version of Dread of the Grave Prof, I'm pretty sure the one playing in this update is the (remake) version.

Also, dang, Endless nine is such a good song. We've heard it before but it complemented this scene absolutely perfectly.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 7, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Welp, guess you've got a new avatar, resurgam40.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Cyouni posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Beatrice conspiracy is intersecting in some way with an Eva/Rudolf/Rosa and group conspiracy, but I'm unsure exactly how it's working out right now.

I'd wager the answer to that question is "not very well", considering their abysmal survival rate.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Cyouni posted:

'98 is really weird because that section is occupying two parts of reality at the same time. There's one worldline where Ange went to Rokkenjima (presumably found a second/a repaired Sakutarou) and died and one where she met Hachijo Toya. The two aren't compatible. Which I suppose brings to mind the question: is '98 even happening, or is it simply a logical construction to show a differing perspective for more information?

I think we're at the fourth meta-level alredy, this is honestly gtting riddiculous. Beyond the "game board" of Rokkenjima '86 we've got the "shallow" meta-layer where the meta-pieces hang out (we saw it when Erika was trying to disprove Kinzo's exstence), the main meta-level where the players and witches do their things, Ange's trip through '98 Rokkkenjima and now meta-Ange and Featherine apparently observing all of that.

resurgam40 posted:

Oh, god. He is treading Kinzo's path, if not for exactly the same reasons: Kinzo tried to "remake" the Beatrice of his youth through "magic" (and what that entailed, I don't really want to think about now :gonk: ) out of desire, like Battler is doing now with actual magic (or whatever) out of guilt. Both of these are understandable, and Battler's reason is infinitely more relatable, but goddamn- to take some poor innocent girl and just project your will, your desire of who she should be on her, is awful... and totally unhealthy for all parties involved.

I don't think it's quite as bad as you're seing it- note that we've actually seen two different Beatrices in this update. One is the reborn blank slate Beatrice who came to be as a consequence of Battler making a new game as a "personification of the rules" which to me implies that as long as someone makes a new game, there always will be a Beatrice. She's the one he later makes return to her room after she meets the witches. The one we see Battler trying to make resemble the old Beatrice is just a piece controlled entirely by the Game Master, essentially just a cardboard cutout Battler's makng to speak with Beatrice's voice.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Tender Child Loins posted:

To be clear, I don't think that her feelings for George are a lie. I think it's more complicated than that. If my theory is correct, Sayo loves three people: George, Jessica, and Battler. Three facets of Sayo each love a single person, and the tragedy is that none of those three truly understand who she is. In the fragments, she is able to kill one or the other because those facets, being in conflict, have no problem killing the object of another's desire. Alternately, they are able to stow away their love in service of the greater goal. I'm not sure which is more feasible to be honest, but I can see both applying here.

Wait, you're still going with the Shannon=Kannon theory? I'm pretty sure Erika has seen them together in the same room last episode and she was confirmed to have been our objective viewpoint for the sixth game.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Man, Erika gets a lot of themes. One full episode she's been in so far and there's Patchwork chimera, Deep Blue Jeer, Totem Blume, I think 'm missing at least two more.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

tiistai posted:

Don't forget the actual main theme, The Great Detective Knows

This one's pretty easy to forget, honestly, I think it's played all of twice so far.

ProfessorProf posted:

There's also Smile-less Soiree.

So yeah, that makes five. Did Battler even get a theme in the first episode? Also,

ProfessorProf posted:

"Hahah, it must be a growing phase. That's how a boy becomes a man."

Ronove has hijacked another of Rudolf's lines.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Battler, for gently caress's sake, you're giving out way too much red for free. She hasn't even laid down any blue theories yet.

Also, looks more and more like Erika's trying to set herself up as a culprit, doesn't it?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Confused Llama posted:

...Did we just get an entire update scolding authors for sloppy retcons?

Also, I don't see exactly how this works. Rather, I understand the rule, I just don't understand how it's supposed to be enforced. The witch side has to be playing a fair game, so the situation has to be solvable using human tricks, but at the same time, the witches' goal is still to present a situation that the human side fails to solve, i.e., concludes to be impossible. Who is the arbiter who determines when a "logic error" has occurred? If the human side can just go screaming "logic error" when they can't figure out the puzzle, and that's good enough, then the game is rigged and the witch side can never win, because they also can't present the "human" solution that they've concocted as proof that the game was fair because they'll destroy their own illusion in the process.

My guess is that the human side can propose in blue that "this is a logical error" and if said accusation is false the witch side can answer "it's not, you're just an idiot" in red without revealing anything.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I'm still amazed that Battler managed to not notice any potential risk in allowing Erika to make changes to the game board retroactively.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Hey, new thread title.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
It's amazing that, seven episodes and who knows how many pages of script into this blasted thing, we're still discovering new ways in which Rosa hosed up. At this point you'd be excused to think that she was actively trying because somehow, against all logic, there's always more and it's always worse.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 13, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

"That's right. Rosa's story came out in the 3rd game, and when the age of the baby in the 5th game matched that date, a certain theory became possible. The fact that Kinzo brought a baby from somewhere and tried to add it to his family... proves that the baby was somehow important to him."
"And I'm... the child... of the Kuwadorian Beatrice..."
"The Kuwadorian Beatrice was the daughter of the Beatrice who came in the submarine. But Kinzo didn't think of her as a daughter. He believed she was the same person, Beatrice reborn. When that 'reborn Beatrice' reached the same age as the first Beatrice, and truly looked like Beatrice's double... Kinzo made a terrible mistake."
"...I... I don't want to hear it!"

Can I take a moment to :barf:? I mean, we kinda knew it, but still... holy gently caress, Kinzo. :barf:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Also, "The Day the Witch" what?

*squints* First letter looks like an R. Or possibly a K.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Wait a second, did I miss something? Why do those two's names suddenly end with 'ne' instead of 'non'? Also, the real counterpart of Mammon is rather conspicuously absent.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
How much are we trusting Yasu's narration here? Because if you chose to instead focus on the other accounts, this begins to look like them purposefully instilling belief in Beatrice into other servants. After all, once they start believing it, that belief becomes self-reinforcing, as every little accident becomes the work of a witch.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Well...

I guess our contest for the worst person on the island has finally reached a resolution. I have no idea what's down the line, but I doubt anything can top a quadruple count of premeditated murder, combined with fratricide. And, of course, a planned further octuple murder, this time with some nepoticide thrown in for good measure.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

I know it's gotten real dark lately with the whole Kyrie murdering everyone that wasn't already dead, but I'm sure it's all uphill from here. Just ignore that there happens to be 6 corpses there conveniently for the first twilight and it'll all be fine.

Huh. Didn't notice that. Doesn't bode well for Rudolf and Kyrie since they seem the only remaining candidates for "the two who are close"

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

What's a kakera?

It's japanese for fragment.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Not really sure what I should be looking for here. First thought is the ice cream since she arrived late, so it could have melted down?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Unless I'm missing a catch (again(again)) it's gotta be C. "Rika", right?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

The witch side must've had quite a laugh when someone brought up the Monty Hall problem those couple of weeks ago. So the answer is C, although it's still unintuitive as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
...You're such an rear end in a top hat, Bernkastel

• Locked thread