Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Erika really is the best. We finally get a proper detective, and she's a jerk who gets right down to the business of sowing tension about the succession and inheritance amongst the family. Not that the Ushiromiya family usually even needs any help with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

This truly is the confession episode.

ProfessorProf posted:

There is no longer any difficulty level. By now, this is not a hint, but a confession.

Huh, you're right, it really did say confession at the start of ep 6. I forgot that bit.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Cyouni posted:

If this is supposed to be the full confession, what's that leave for 7 and 8?

It's going to take that long for Battler to fulfill all the promises he made in the Game Master Battler side story.

ZiegeDame posted:

...Is that loving Fukuyama Jun?

If you mean Zepar's voice actor, that's actually Mitsuki Saiga. She does a pretty good deep voice.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 26, 2017

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

So Battler does not exist in the room because a giant were-mackerel ate him? It's a tragic way to go.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

That's actually, I believe, a fan-recreation of the old PC version's OP with the new sprites - the actual PS3 game had a totally different OP, which I won't be linking here until EP8 on account of it's full of insane spoilers.

Not having played the PS3 version myself, I can't say this in red say this for certain, but what I heard (from searching around and finding some people talking on the Umineko Project boards) was that the Chiru OPs which recreate the original versions with new sprites are actually all official ones from the PS3 version and they're all used in the game. The remake of the first Umineko OP with replaced sprites was apparently a fan-made one, made unofficially by Yo-Yu, somebody who worked on some of the official OPs.

EagerSleeper posted:

Question: did r07 have someone commissioned to do the opening intros of his game? I was really surprised to see latest one that I thought was nicely executed, but it had seacats character portraits instead of the ps3 versions. I want to look it up, but I'm afraid of spoilers.

I don't think Ryuukishi07 made the original opening sequences for his own games. I tried looking things up on VNDB.org, and I couldn't find full info, but I did find out that at least one of the movies for the first PC game was made by RMG Rainbow-Motion-Graphics, which says it's a movie designing organisation. They've made opening sequences for a lot of visual novels.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 20, 2017

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Cyouni posted:

thinking Kinzo in a maid outfit looks like Shannon. (For my sanity, please do not provide art of this.)

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

He could also be an android. I'm just sayin'. And that omits all you nasty witches from the solution!

On a different note from the above: Pool is Closed, do you want a new avatar? Witchchat has one ready and waiting to give you.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Ah, the Battler tactic of "I'm telling you, you don't exist!". We'll get you yet.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Archaeo's story there is great! I skimmed it in Witchchat before, but that was without images. It looks amazing set out properly.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

To the surprise of absolutely nobody. S.S. Van Dine's mystery stories are some of my favourites. With the proviso that Philo Vance really is insufferable, that the quality of the stories deteriorates significantly over time to the point where the last few stories are painful to read, and that I hope Agatha Christie is laughing from the grave. My other favourite author is Ronald A. Knox. Yes I did get all my initial mystery novel recs from Umineko. Knox's stories are superb, IMO (and quite different from S.S. Van Dine's).

And Will is one of my favourite characters in the series. :allears: (As is Dlanor!)

Out of John Dickson Carr books, it's hard to pick the one I like best, but among the ones I liked the most are The Blind Barber, Murder in the Submarine Zone, and The Hollow Man.

Hopeford posted:

My personal favorite, even if not his cleverest mystery, is always gonna be The Unicorn Murders. I just love the very, very over the top setup it has and how half the novel consists of characters tossing theories at each other Umineko style while locked in a mansion with a "legendary Phantom Thief" possibly hiding somewhere.

Ohhh, that one. I read that a few weeks ago, and it was quite a trip. There really aren't enough books which feature people arguing and theorising like that.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 5, 2017

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Cyouni posted:

Who's Lion's voice actor? Sounds a lot like Ayako Kawasumi, but...

I just looked it up and you're right, it's Ayako Kawasumi. I was thinking "What is Saber doing in this VN?" for a moment while I listened to that clip.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Oh. The VA having that role reminds me of a clip from Carnival Phantasm (the Type-Moon parody show) featuring a Saber dressed up in a lion suit. I can't not link it now it's come to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY5qipYy1Po

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

That's a beautiful page.

I understand that Kinzo had his own problems, but I find he's just so hard to empathise with, even given this flashback story. I know that Umineko is all about nuance and understanding why people are terrible and sympathising with them despite them being terrible, but it just doesn't work for me re Kinzo. I feel much more sympathy for the next generation, even for, say, Rosa.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

lobster22221 posted:

More seriously, I wanted to ask: With two characters being the embodiment of two authors who happened to have a set of rules for mystery novels and a third set mentioned elsewhere in the thread, are there any other famous sets collections of rules for mystery novels?

There's John Dickson Carr's "four golden maxims of Do's and Don't's". (Edit: oh wait, this probably was the third set you already mentioned)

quote:

1. The criminal shall never turn out to be the detective, or any servant, or any character whose thoughts we have been allowed to share,
2 . The criminal shall never at any time be under serious suspicion until the unmasking.If you haven't the ingenuity to keep his identity a secret until the end, at least pretend you have. Even if the reader outguesses you, and your thunderbolt-ending doesn't come off, the effect is far more satisfying than if you apologize for your murderer by "clearing" him in an early chapter.
3. The crime shall be the work of one person. While the murderer in some instances may be allowed to have a confederate, you will ruin your story if two or three or four people are dragged in as accomplices. The essence of a detective story is that the one guilty man shall fool the seven innocent; not that the one innocent shall be fooled by the seven guilty,
4. The crime shall be clean-cut, if a character disappears and is assumed to be murdered, state frankly what has happened to him. If he hasn't been murdered it's a pity; but the reader has a right to a clear stating of the problem.
Those are four golden maxims. In each one I believe. And each one you will find shattered-shattered admirably; shattered to bits, shattered by a mighty hammer-in the "best" detective novels, while the reader wishes to do nothing but applaud. Because they are not really rules; they are only prejudices.

Carr mentions that a lot of people have written lists of rules, apparently including (aside from the ones we know from Umineko) Carolyn Wells, Douglas Thomson, Basil Hogarth, Howard Haycraft, and Dorothy L. Sayers. It seems he thought Knox and Sayers had wise approaches.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 15, 2017

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Golden Nocturne is one of my favourite tracks in the game.

idonotlikepeas posted:

...the culprit's name is YASU? loving YASU? JESUS CHRIST.

Heh heh heh. Pretty good choice, isn't it? (I need to play that game sometime...) It's as if the character had been named "Butler".

I'm relieved that the thread's at the point where that name can be said! Some time ago in the thread, someone asked if there's a phrase in Japan that's equivalent to "the butler did it" but I couldn't answer that with the phrase "the culprit is Yasu".

Edit: spelling

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 24, 2017

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Fabulousvillain posted:

Despite how everything will turn out, I think that Genji might be the best Dad on this island.

What about Hideyoshi or Krauss? Hideyoshi in particular doesn't seem like a bad dad to George. Genji apparently knew about the danger to Yasu's mother from Kinzo and didn't help her, so he's already a terrible Yasu dad, no matter how guilty he feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Witchcore ricepunk's new avatar is lovely! WCRP, since you solved the epitaph, that must mean you're already a witch. :witch:

Looking at the new update, I'm still so impressed by how level-headed Lion is. Lion's profile wasn't kidding about the "this youth is more suitable to become the head than any other" thing.

• Locked thread