Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
It's Bernkastel's OC, Ushiromiya Fernkastel

EDIT: Theoretically, if the "protagonist" role has changed, the presence of an apparent extra person-not-a-witch could occur within the limits of the game structure; under those circumstances, this would literally be Bern's OC/protagonist-viewpoint, the way piece-Battler has (maybe) been meta-Battler's projection of himself into the narrative for the purposes of solving the mystery of Rokkenjima, and as long as Poirot-Bern doesn't see any witches, it all works out.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

I'm not sure whether those are actually Krauss and Kinzo; Krauss revealed his weakness too readily, and Kinzo is a problem for fairly obvious reasons. Which begs the question of whether these are witch storytelling illusions or just unreliable narrator (and, y'know, whether those are distinct concepts).

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Well, according to the profiles, piece-Beatrice's role has shifted due to the change in GMs, so maybe it's the Beatrice in Natsuhi's mind -- a sort of tempestuous magical force controlled by the authority of the Ushiromiya head -- as adjusted by Shortcackle, to move the plot along.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

What I like about this series, among other things, is that we continue to feel sympathy for Beato and position her, on some level, as our ally in the battle against the real evil witches Ushiromiya Fernkastel, her OC, and Shortcackle, after the story arc whose explicit point was that she exploits that exact type of sympathy to try and eke out a win, in which she was our ally against the real evil witch, Evatrice.

Not sarcastically or anything! Like, I think this is an actual testament to the quality of the writing and plot, that we can have so many contradictory/false impressions of Beatrice without her feeling disjointed as a character.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

I just woke up, so I'm sure there's some evidence somewhere which totally invalidates this, but here goes:

I noticed that the person on the phone with Natsuhi had seemingly perfect access to her whereabouts and her mind, that their voice's timbre is so ambiguous that it could be anyone, and that the person doing the calling here is Lambdadelta, which makes me think that one or all of the calls which Ushiromiya Natsuhi has received did not actually happen. Either it's a visual metaphor for her struggling with guilt, or she's shouting and crying into an empty receiver, while the servants facilitate it because indulging breaks from reality is like eighty percent of being an Ushiromiya servant.

The "child" calling is a manifestation of guilt; Natsuhi, pushed to the breaking point by the stress of maintaining the illusion of Kinzo, spousal neglect, fear of discovery, self-hatred as a "borrowed womb," and, of course, guilt over ordering the death of an infant child, started imagining that that child had grown up and was threatening her with vengeance over phone calls. This will presumably motivate her towards the murder she apparently commits (I assume, since Erika is accusing her in that one scene). If this is kind of an awkward, convoluted way for her to behave in order to justify a murder mystery, it's because Lambdadelta is the game master, and likes this sort of thing.

Okay, now bring on the counter-evidence!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

At the risk of being pedantic, how are we defining "gain"? Is our definition the same as Bern's or the red text's? Because I could easily see her thinking "well, if anyone really solves the epitaph, Beato will reach closure on her horrible life and feel free to stop playing games... like a boring rear end in a top hat! Either she'll be bored forever, or she'll die! Beato definitely isn't gaining anything from that!"

I guess what I mean is "Beatrice might not gain anything, but she certainly could lose something unwanted."

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

Well she is.

But she's also her own separate character.

She's Bern's detective OC in that she's intuitive (to the point of basically having read the back cover and looked for spoilers on Google), calm around blood, amoral, etc., but she's also not a witch, and Bern's disdain for everyone who isn't a witch (and to a lesser extent, anyone who isn't her) means that Erika, as her creation, is a semi-competent detective who is permanently less skilled, less intelligent and overall worse than she thinks she is.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

If it's D-ell-anor, I honestly can't think of anything but Ronald.

If it's D-capital-i-anor, though I don't think that's what it is, I could see "ordain" or "I adorn."

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Wait. Now that I look at it... Dlanor is an anagram of a word, yes, but it's also just Ronald backwards. Was calling it an "anagram" technically true, but meant to mislead us? Because I'll admit, it got me, and I am desperately hoping I wasn't the only one who totally missed that.

EDIT: If it's Knox's first name, it's definitely Ronald.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

When Dlanor took communion, I bet it was with the Corpus Christie.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

This might kind of be a stretch, but -- beyond the fact that the GM is just plain cruel and thoughtless -- I think that this game "lacks love" because Bernkastel, Lambdadelta and Erika have very little regard for motive. They exemplify the logical extreme of the anti-fantasy mystery faction, in that they don't give a poo poo about why the Ushiromiya family is like it is, or why Natsuhi would have committed these murders -- I still maintain that the phone calls were fantasy scenes meant to obfuscate Natsuhi's lack of any real motive in the 5th game -- forsaking all of it in favor of pure logistics.

Beatrice paid attention to motive -- the whole Evatrice scenario stemming from Eva's inferiority, shame and rage; the extensive digressions concerning Maria's unhappiness and Rosa's vicious-cycle abuse; the Shannon/George and Kanon/Jessica scenarios, not to mention the shounen fight segments designed to make us believe and then break that belief immediately afterwards -- all of that paid attention to character, motive and emotion. And, of course, the dark side of that was stuff like torturing Rosa by making her eat Maria's candied corpse after Maria told her that she just wanted her mom to be happy, etc., but it was all personal, y'know? Beatrice knew this family, and designed her games for pieces she rendered lovingly and destroyed with intimate familiarity.

Whereas Shortcackle basically just... set up these characters with surface knowledge of what would drive them ("Natsuhi has a complex and wants Jessica to inherit, Krauss is an idiot and terrible investor, the other parents want money, the cousins like each other, Battler is a protagonist type") and set up plot devices to create her desired murder mystery scenario ("Why would Natsuhi be a suspect? Uhhh... gently caress it, let's say it was her ghost son on the phone who told her to lock herself in a closet") because she doesn't care about any of them. They're set pieces for the battle between herself and Bernkastel. Rokkenjima is Beatrice's home, and the Ushiromiyas are her incredibly terrible family -- is it any surprise that she cares about them even while she slaughters them?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

I'm almost certainly missing something, but couldn't Battler have used Knox to deny that Natsuhi was the culprit?

The criminal must be mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to know. And didn't we follow Natsuhi's thoughts when she got those phone calls?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

The second screenshot is wrong.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

In Which Erika Furude Gets In A Fight With A Nine-Year-Old

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Fates End posted:

The fact is, the Moon arcana stands for deception and hidden things; pretty much the opposite of everything that was known about Jessica at the time those cards are released, which split the discussion into people finding reasons she might fit and people who thought that the people who made the anime didn't know or care what they were doing. Therefore, Moon-chan became the name for the Jessica culprit (usually with some servant or another as an accomplice) theory.

Were the other cards assigned with reasonable character/arcana associations?

I'd look it up, but spoilers.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Much like boxing, envy in Umineko is an extremely exact science.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

God, I feel sick to my stomach having just skimmed that.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Honestly, I could see almost every single Ushiromiya having a Palace. Plus most of the servants.

Meanwhile, Battler forgets his code name and trips over his thief jacket like ten minutes in.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

I'd say "Kinzo's deep-fried pedipalpsy corpse," but I feel like that's a) more the thread's Treasure and b) not all that distorted.

Maybe it's the mirror that blocked Beatrice's presence -- the barrier between Yasu and love.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Umineko-based meta-chess.

Learning higher mathematics via boxing match analysis.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > jesus loving christ Kinzo - Let's Play Umineko Chiru

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think we'll make up even crazier theories to fill the void.

"Uu~uu" is the foulest expletive in any witch language. Beatrice started getting to know Maria because she thought it was funny how this nine-year-old was constantly repeating a powerful witch swear without even knowing it.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > No, Seriously, gently caress Kinzo - Let's Play Umineko Chiru

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Yasu escaped Rokkenjima after the murders, managed to get in on the ground floor of video game development, and pioneered the mystery genre in gaming with the critically acclaimed, but unfortunately named, "Super Seagull Murder Island 64," the name "Umineko When They Cry" having been shot down by the marketing department.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

Gohda was That Guy from work.

You know the type. That dick coworker who sucks up to the boss.

He deserves everything that comes to him. :colbert:

I mean, considering what we've learned about Nanjo, Genji et al. at this point... you go, dick coworker! Stick it to them -- it's not really sufficient penance for their complicity in this whole story, but it helps!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

I know this isn't really relevant to the LP itself, but I recently had to put my dog to sleep, and reading through this has helped me deal with it a little better. Thank you, Prof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

So is this the good end to magic's bad end or to magic's best end?

Because I'll admit, "Ange murders two people," while clearly justified by the excellent reasoning of the Witch of Truth, is perhaps less than ideal in terms of personal growth.

• Locked thread