Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ZiegeDame posted:

^^^ Just realized how appropriate it is that only Rika and Miyoko actually know what's going on.

E I got that answer so quickly that I went around testing other options to see if there was some trick, but no, Rudolf and Kyrie just gave straightforward puzzles that are easy to solve. Rudolf and Kyrie want Ange to feel smart, happy, and accomplished more than they want to win. Rudolf and Kyrie are the best parents in this whole story. (Not the fiercest competition, though.)

I think that having them that way is likely part of the point in Battler's game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Oh hello there Monty Hall. C.

Goddammit Rudolf. We all already knew it, but still.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I didn't really expect it to go as far as saying "the bluebird of truth was with you all along".

idonotlikepeas posted:

Rudolf may have told Battler on the island, and Battler might have mentioned it to Yasu before events transpired. As the game has reminded us over and over again, many things could have happened on that island before half of its surface was obliterated. Even if we might grasp the central mystery, we'd never be able to figure out all of them.

It's also that if we presume Asumu had the chance to figure it out, Yasu theoretically could have as well.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Well, well. How interesting. Let's start the fight, then.
I will make no assumptions until we've seen the rules and the game itself. This is just the prologue.

I must say it's nice to see everyone casually interacting, though.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Well, well. That's interesting. I like this game.

I think the crux at some point is where you have to dodge the rules.

So. Let's break it down.
A culprit must commit murder. If they do not, they are not considered a culprit, and can not cooperate with one.
A culprit is considered a culprit for the entirety of the story, and all their statements are no longer considered truth.
A culprit cannot die. So we can't have a case of multiple culprits where they murder each other.

Let's look at where people can benefit by having their statements be lies:
Krauss: No real benefit here.
Natsuhi: Can get the inclusion of a master key back in, essential to creating closed rooms later.
Jessica: Confirms Nanjo, Gohda, Kumasawa's deaths. Seals second twilight room. Confirms alibi of George in death of Shannon (4th). Confirms alibi of Maria, Battler, George in the death of Nanjo (7th).
Nanjo: Deaths of Natsuhi, Krauss, Shannon, Gohda, Kumasawa.
George: Death of Shannon, questionably also Nanjo and Jessica. Confirms alibi of Maria.
Battler: Confirms George's alibi in fourth, everyone's alibi in eighth, existence of only two master keys in fifth/sixth.
Maria: Confirms Jessica's death. Seals second twilight room, confirms first twilight. Confirms sealed room of seventh twilight. Confirms everyone's alibi at 8th.
Shannon: Questionably allows a servant to slip away, but then she also has to not be dead.
Kanon: Confirms servant alibis in second twilight, confirms Genji.
Gohda: Confirms sealed room of first/second twilight, confirms destruction of Shannon's master key.
Kumasawa: No real benefit.

Ways to sneak out of red:
Culprit of the first twilight can also be the culprit of the second, letting two live from the first. Questionable due to "no narrative tricks" in red.
If there were no seals on Natsuhi's room, the dining hall, or the mansion, then they can't be broken.
Kanon dies at the fourth twilight, and his key is destroyed. There is no way around this.

I'm going to work from Kanon, since he cannot lie due to being dead. After that, I guess we'll see.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

So one clarification about the rules I don't expect to get, but I'll throw the question out there anyway. For a person to be able to lie, they must kill at least one other person. If Shannon kills someone, does that mean Kanon is also a culprit, or do they need at least two bodies between them for both their statements to be lies?
I ask mostly because the only person asserting that all the servants have alibis for the 2nd twilight is Shannon/Kanon.

I'd argue it doesn't matter, because Kanon is killed in red. Thus, he cannot be lying.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

How fitting of a Bern game. I was thinking "what setup would cause the most pain to Ange" and then see if it fit the conditions, but it looks like the full solution has been confirmed.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

While we're on the subject, it works thematically with what we have as well. Bern's truth from last episode showed Rudolf and Kyrie killing everyone. And the one person Battler kills is Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice/Yasu.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rodyle posted:

This is an auspicious day not only because the heroine is back and y'all have finally understood your goatness.

It is an auspicious day because I BELIEVE you are now allowed to look at OMK Cross.

Unless schoolgirl goat is that last character that was mentioned, that's unlikely.

If it is that last character, that is glorious.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I took a glance at the OMK supers. Erika's...I have no words.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

dotchan posted:

Bern's throwing the baby out with the bathwater though. "False hope is bad, therefore any hope at all is bad" is poor logic, especially for a so-called Witch of Miracles.

This is probably a good point to remind people that Bern has constantly referred to herself as "the Witch of Miracles that knows miracles don't exist". This is entirely in-character for her.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Huh, so the choice at the end is just going to be between Bern's view and Battler's.

Bern's view would have Ange rip open the cat box to expose its guts, to find the Single Truth.
Battler's view would then presumably be the opposite, that finding the Single Truth is unnecessary, and that all that is needed is to keep the good memories of those who have passed in your heart.

Assuming we're picking for Ange, and not my own self-satisfaction, I'm not sure which one is the correct one. Depending on the truth hidden in the book, that could be worse than not knowing it, even if it gives Ange that closure that she so desperately needs. Closure is kind of important, though.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

RedMagus posted:

Maybe Ange will pick her own option, and choose both, or neither? I think that'd be a satisfying ending, deciding to hell with this, I have a life to go live.

Theoretically I think that'd fall under Battler's view that the truth isn't needed to move forward.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Confused Llama posted:

I think this portrait ought to be Ange.

Also, come on, after all that, we don't even get to hear the Single Truth? I guess I should have expected that, but now, in the absence of the Truth, I feel like I'm stuck doubling down on my highly implausible "it was Ange's fault" hypothesis, since even her earlier reaction to a Fragment in which her family were the culprits didn't seem strong enough to drive her to suicide (though I suppose the additional weight of the entire world knowing might do it).

I'm sort of wondering if it actually was a complete accident now. One of her lines is really interesting: "Hahahaha, ahhahahahahahahaha!! My truth is that Aunt Eva's the culprit!! Aunt Eva killed everyone!! Everything's her fault!! Dad and Mom and Onii-chan and all the others are just victims...!! It's no one's fault, no one's fault...!! Of course it is, of course it is!!"

That line near the end implies that "it's no one's fault, but I'm still saying it's Eva's".

Definitely have to echo the comment on the voice acting being chilling.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

This seems much more likely to be Battler than Ange or anyone else. The only other people who'd like detective novels on the island are Yasu or at a stretch, George, and neither of them fit the age. Maria is both unlikely and also would have to be surviving somehow for 12 years (also missing a jaw).

As peas noted, the time frame is certainly not that of Ange's inheritance.

We don't really have an idea of exactly where Ikuko's house is, but it's implied it's on the coastline. So if Toya drifted on the water for a while and then ended up crawling onto the highway, that might fit.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Is it because the "backlog counter" now covers the entire rest of the LP?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Oh, that's glorious. I missed the icon on the pirate hat the first time - it's a cat and what looks a lot like chopsticks.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

The Prize for 3 metals is just WTF worthy.

Goddammit Kinzo, that even has "Ange" written on it. Or as close as you'd be able to get, anyways.

Edit: Whoa there, 12 medals.

We really should have aimed for 16 medals, for Ange's sake.

Also found out that Ougon Musou Kyoku Cross is coming out as a full Steam release, and I saw Erika's hat in the trailer.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 23, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

It is with a heavy heart that I betray my magical avatar and choose it's a trick. Simply accepting that it is magic means that you stop short of fully understanding it - think where we'd be if Battler simply gave up in episode 1 or 2.

Because the magic ending is likely to be the good one (as the expected answer), I'll say trick ending first

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

So far, the trick end is the one working off episode 4. My guess is the magic end is the one where she goes to meet Hachijou instead of getting on the boat, the one starting off episode 6.

Also, this is truly the <good> end.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I suspect the magic ending can be basically summed up as "Ange goes to see Hachijou instead of going to Rokkenjima, finds not-Battler, and Amakusa decides it's not really necessary to kill her because alive not-Battler presents a new element".

They're also close enough to Rokkenjima that I don't think Ange really needs to worry about their bodies going anywhere else. They're pretty much at the dock, after all, and there's a pretty solid chance that even if the Sumaderas find the bodies, they'll just quietly clean it up.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

ZiegeDame's explanation seems to hit all the checkboxes for me.

Also, just wanted to say in advance there's a great sense of timing going on here.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Myriad Truths posted:

This scene is also slightly different in the manga and explicitly connects it to the EP7 Tea Party. Basically Sayo, having been missed by Kyrie, decides that their plan has fallen apart and might as well go see if there are any survivors. Meanwhile Battler is going through the bodies in the main mansion when Sayo comes across him. Battler identifies Sayo as being Shannon. Sayo doesn't go into the Shannon/Kanon stuff, but confesses to having set up a murder plot that went wrong and that the island is rigged to blow. Battler doesn't ever see the identity of the culprit(s). Sayo persuades Battler to escape rather than confront the culprit, with both assuming that everyone on the island has already been killed. Then the rest is pretty much as-is.

So what you're saying is that Kyrie is really bad at aiming.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Kyrie did manage to kill the other servants and Maria, however. Odds are good that she didn't use the knife for all of it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

A beautiful way to celebrate the Golden Witch's birthday. Thank you for everything you've done.

I'm really going to miss this.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

free Trapt CD posted:

So, then, Eva knew about Toya's true identity when the first book was public, and didn't communicate it to Ange for the entire period the books were being published? I suppose either out of discretion or, in the least charitable scenario, spite? Or maybe she was just trying to avoid a situation where Toya suffered an attack. Ahh, it's all so complicated...

That was quite intentional by Ryukishi, according to the interview. He wanted to leave different ways to interpret a lot of things depending on the reader - did George hide Battler's letter to Shannon, for example? I suppose the same's true of what resurgam said of Bern above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

B. Battler totally is on the roster though.

• Locked thread