Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'm already lost but that's alright, this 5th game is already off to an interesting start. Like everyone else I'm wondering where this goofy child came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Not gonna bring any speculation of these murders that happened yet since there is so little to go on, so I'll speculate on something else. In Episode 1 Natsuhi was narrowed down as the killer due to a bunch of poo poo I don't remember the complete details on, point is Battler was naïve then and defended her with arguments that no longer hold up due to what we now know and he now knows. I'm wondering if the game 5 piece Battler will be as naïve as our Shadow Realm Battler was and have a conflict of seeing himself be so, well, wrong and lead to preventable deaths. I'm sure this new character will just dunk on him instead though, but hey I like speculating.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Sounds like Krauss is trying to use excessively risky business tactics to try and make poo poo loads of money like the young Kinzo did since he wants to be just like Kinzo. Problem is that he's a washed up daddy's boy who already has a poo poo load of money and is stupidly gambling everything he owns, and doesn't own appropriately. So not only did he gently caress it up but there really was no reason to risk everything for a few million shady yen. Uhh.. yeah he's pretty bad at this, like playing Blackjack always going for 21 and never settling for less, or going all in on every hand of Poker despite already digging into Jessica's college funds. Okay that last one probably actually happened.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Kinzo's corpse was controlled like a puppet and Krauss is a great ventriloquist.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I don't know about anyone else, but Bern being a backseat detective would drive me right up a loving wall if I were Battler. Insufferably Smarmy must be really high level Witch ability because Beatrice wasn't half as obnoxious as one of these two, let alone both of them.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'm gonna keep the Knox rules in mind since they make for a better mystery, but not really trust it entirely since it's not written in red yet.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

Most assume Bern was a good guy because of Higurashi.

Yeah this was my sentiment until Ange was killed in Episode 4 and Bern couldn't give less of a poo poo, then the thought of "Oh right, witches are supposed to be bad." occurred. Of course now she isn't even trying to be subtle about it, she's on another level when it comes to burning bridges. But I completely forgot the "most cruel witch" line from Episode 1.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I really wish I didn't have to say it, but it sounds like this phone call is acknowledging that maybe Rudolf has pulled off an Uther Pendragon stunt. If that's actually true then that means Battler and Jessica might actually be... this is feeling more like Camelot than I ever wanted, but I'm sure Kinzo is a fan of it loving western stories and hating his family.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Also Bern already tried confirming whether or no that phone call actually happened in red text just to be refused the confirmation. Meaning it could be all bullshit to try and throw a wrench into the game which is unlikely, or could've happened but with a few different details like who's voice was on the other side cause or exactly what they were talking about.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Bern's self insert fanfic OC is the real detective - Let's Play Umineko Chiru

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
There's nothing preventing a claim that someone here is corpse puppet being controlled and voiced by someone else to fool Battler, aside from how silly and cheap it is.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Erika's stupid title seems to be there to make it clear that she's not intended to be heroic or whatever you want to call it, just some wandering enigma that's exposing everyone's secrets regardless of who's toes get stepped on in the process. That's what I'm gathering from it anyway, it's still a pretty dumb phrasing for it that raises and eyebrow or ten.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

tiistai posted:

No, you see, Beatrice is going to jump up any moment and cackle about how she totally got Battler this time and then they'll go back to fighting to the death

Any moment

:negative:

We're about 5% or 10% into this game and it's already making me sad, this is gonna be a depressing road trip I can already tell.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

I guess I'll have to think about whether this <good> avatar is a compliment or an insult.

:shittypop:

Rodyle posted:

There's a couple people with AVs in the pipeline but yeah you've always been Erika.

Now I'm scared what kind of bizarre character are gonna show up in this, I mean at least one new character has shown up per episode so I'm assuming there will be more. Oh Christ, there will be more. :psyduck:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Good luck dealing with whatever medical stuff you're going through ProfessorProf. These threads are good fun, but I don't want anyone physically suffering through them.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'm kinda curious how the voice acting of that phone call in this update went along, mostly to see if there's a transition to Lambadelta's voice or just stays in Battler's a masculine voice until the last line or something.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Bern is the person who gets banned from stream chats for complaining about people being imperfect at playing Demon's Souls blind, then plays with a guide and 3 wikis open.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

oath2order posted:

Rudolph is Jack Bauer.

Which brings us to the real magic of this line. Something you're just gonna need to see to believe.

ORE WA JAKKU BAUER

Magic is a hell of a drug.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

Simply by the existence of Erika in the story, this level of reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas. What do you think, everyone?

Erika is more of self insert of the readers along with Bern in trying to solve the mystery at this point, since she doesn't give a fraction of a gently caress about the people involved and bitches about any mystery cliché that happens. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but it almost feels like a :fut: from the game to players that think they solved everything from the first game. Or just a character to show that Battler as an "ideal detective" would be another immoral prick that would be difficult to route for in most situations.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

Holy poo poo it actually was. WHAT IS SHE WEARING. HOW DO THE OUTFITS GET MORE INSANE.

The only thing that can dress sillier than a witch is a self proclaimed witch hunter.

ProfessorProf posted:

As much fun as Dlanor reactions always are, we should also get some speculation going. We all know that Kinzo is already dead, but even so, is there any way left for Battler to show that he could have escaped the study?

Hmm... all I have are three very flawed possibilities in mind. Kinzo left with Natsuhi from the front door, Kinzo snuck out after Rudolf came in through the window, and Kinzo broke a new exit out and managed to patch it over before Rudolf came in through the window. This is what I come up with while eating breakfast before going to work and I'm already bad at this, probably won't comeback with good answers so have fun folks.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Bernkastel enjoys adding gasoline to Erika's burn a little too much. Anyone want to explain how Battler got out of that unharmed? I've never jumped out of a 3 story window before, but I know it's more than high enough to make me not want to.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Beato and Lambda: You can't be a cruel witch all the time.
Bern: ....hold my beer.

If this is how Higurashi's protagonist turned out after that bullshit, how's Battler gonna turn out? Oh right Kinzo.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Litttle did anyone realize that this island was built in a way that the trade winds pass by Kinzo's study causing an updraft of wind that allows him to more safely jump from his own window swooning all who witness this. Theres a hidden device X that helps with dealing with a high fall; such a trampoline, bungee cord, something else, hidden under the window. It could be hidden in the bushes, trees, or somewhere else. Battler using his expertise in Gymnastics used the branches of trees to quickly make his way down safely. Uhh... there was a zipline there the whole time and no one noticed but Battler since he jumped from the window which itself has a blind spot that keeps it hidden. I think a few of these break Knox rules, but gently caress it, I still haven't had breakfast.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Danaru posted:

That song was pretty much the only good thing the anime gave us :( but man is it a great thing

That and the opening to me, both are way too good for a show that bad. The gap in quality between the show and it's opening/closing is impressive really.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

Is there actually any reason for us not to watch the anime at this point if we have the opportunity, apart from it being bad?

I watched it and am going into this LP blind (except for one screenshot), never saw much of anything spoiled. It's not really funny bad, aside from the animation, but I enjoyed watching it for its incompetence.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
This is making Battler feel like Phoenix Wright all the more, since Erika is just trying to pin the murders on someone while Battler is seeking the absolute truth even if he's being kind of a jackass going in circles and making everyone eventually hate him. Since it is this game I'm sure he won't get a game over for not finding the real culprit, which is stupid in Phoenix Wright a lot of the time, he'll just continue his torture in purgatory until he eventually finds the truth or gives up.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

oath2order posted:

The clue for Erika Listening to the wall is the fact that she's loving psychotic, and a goddamn metagamer.

I like to think she does things like this everyday. Putting seals on doors to stores she goes to and listening through walls of hotel rooms instead of sleeping in them. Public bathrooms must be a nightmare.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

You know for a fact that Erika would love every moment of that deuce dropping eavesdropping.

It's not a nightmare for Erika, you walk into a public bathrooms and see a tape seal on every stall door you loving hold it in till you get home.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
The only corpse that seems suspicious to me is Genji's since it seems like everyone just kind of accepted it without as much fanfare. I had a thought that Genji used Kinzo, or someone else's, corpse to fake his death and commit the murder. Erika's seals have all but solved that mystery. She's pretty competent at this detective poo poo, she's just so creepy and smug about it it's hard to route for her.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Rodyle posted:

I forget if y'all have previously seen what Virgilia is actually the witch of before now.

It's been established that she was the previous Beatrice, but I don't think they have said if she has the Endless Witch/Golden Witch title. I may be misremembering but I think someone called her a Silver Witch or something.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

ZiegeDame posted:

Aww poo poo someone's about to throw down Rule 1 The criminal must be someone mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow.

I've been thinking about this since Natsuhi took the POV role in this chapter, been trying to remember who hasn't had their own POV shown so far?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

thetruegentleman posted:

4. Battler does his best thinking after he's been impaled.

Battler got dunked on so hard he gets impaled and knows that Beatrice, Natsuhi, and probably everyone else in his family will die with him and won't even know why this ever happened in the first place. For Beatrice it was the worst day of her life, for Bernkastel it was Tuesday, but for Battler it reminds him of a puzzle.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

ZiegeDame posted:

For all her smugness, Erika is really playing on easy mode, isn't she. Lambda isn't even trying. Sure, just selectively ignore red truths that don't fit your theory, why not. Must be so tough, winning a game where both players are on your side.

Welcome to Whose Witch Is It Anyway, where everything is made up and the truth doesn't matter

I think this is why it has been most the frustrating (for me) thing to read through this section. It makes sense the Lambadelta is enjoying herself having less stake than everyone else, but now she actively trying to end the game on a pin against Natsuhi for no reason. Maybe there's a plan she has in mind that will flip everything on it's head, but I can't get the feeling of anime bullshit for the sake of making the audience feel bad for the characters with actual stakes involved. It just feels really cheap to me and I feel the opposite of the way resugram40 felt because it makes no sense to me. In other words I don't feel anything.

Edit: agreed gently caress Krauss, Erika did you forget that he has no alibi?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Qrr posted:

Krauss has an alibi via red text that for some reason they are accepting. And that reason is that his isn't a trial in any way - it's a metaphorical witch hunt, as opposed to the literal witch hunts that should be going on.

Doesn't that only apply as an alibi to the murder of Hideyoshi? The trial never even got to that part so it really doesn't matter. I'm talking about Erika saying that the only Kinzo could have done it without even mentioning Krauss on the gameboard.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Did that baby really buy the farm? Is Battler's daddy really Kinzo? Will Erika steal the protagonist seat this long? Can Battler out stupid himself any harder? The answer to maybe 1 or 2 of these questions will be answered, if we're lucky, on Wednesday Wednesday Wednesday! Tickets for only $10! Figure out new ways to brutally murder your own family and keep your sex dungeon a secret! Kids tickets for only $5!

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

ProfessorProf posted:

From the manga version of this scene:

I was really hoping there would be a Sailor Moon transformation, but gaining Kinzo's cape and the goofy magic longsword is pretty great too so I can't be mad.

I can't believe we haven't even finished episode 5 yet, this has just barely started.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 22, 2017

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Aumanor posted:

Welp, guess you've got a new avatar, resurgam40.

What the hell are you talking abouOh...:shittypop:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

tiistai posted:

So far there's been new ones in every episode, right? Why break a good combo.

:dogbutton: I knew this was coming.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Battler Ushiromiya in Keeping it in the Family Ain't Easy Part 1: Shout Out to Hot Moms

I can't help but think more and more that Hideyoshi is Danny Devito's character in It's Always Sunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Erika we're all in that same boat right now. Are all the episodes gonna start off with a scene that happens 3/4 into it now?

• Locked thread