Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Alright, this just got really meta on another level. Glad to be introduced to a character on the magic side that I didn't want immediately thrown out a window. That hasn't happened in a while, glad to have a character that seems pretty cool off the bat and hopefully won't give me a headache aside from this being meta as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Fabulousvillain posted:

Beato and Lambda: You can't be a cruel witch all the time.
Bern: ....hold my beer.

If this is how Higurashi's protagonist turned out after that bullshit, how's Battler gonna turn out? Oh right Kinzo.

:sigh: I was only joking when I said this.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 1, 2017

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

lotus circle posted:

You think this is a motherfucking game?

Yes.

oath2order posted:

*Looks at your AV* Well, I guess we'll find out.

:drat:

I don't think Battler is quite off the deep end yet, but definitely standing on the slippery slope towards being Kinzo 2.0.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I see Kanon's mysterious "Even I..." line from Episode 1 has made a return. Does this mean back in Episode 1 Kanon was planning to two-time Battler and Jessica before backing out? At least he's not trying to keep it in the family, well not his family anyway.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
If I know Umineko like I think I do, then these puzzles for children are going to come into play soon. Also Erika being the most unsociable person in a room full of jerks is only fitting the great detective.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Cyouni posted:

Well presumably the answer is referencing two inside the space occupied by one, which would be a hint towards X/Beatrice or possibly Shannon/Kanon. Interestingly enough, according to this interpretation it's only two inside the space one should occupy, instead of three (which would possibly be a hint at Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice).

:ocelot:

EagerSleeper posted:

Only good person on this island is Gohda. Second place is split between Maria and Natsuhi. :3:

Anyone else remember in Episode 1 in the last thread when almost everyone hated Maria because of "Uu-"ing and being immature for her age, followed immediately by an update of Rosa slapping her for "Uu-"ing and being immature for her age, and then the thread stopped whining about her all of a sudden? Good times.

Danaru posted:

I really want to like Rosa because she's a tragic character beset on all sides by lovely family standards and lovely societal standards but yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh lady

Sometimes you can't blame everything on Kinzo.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Rodyle posted:

Well yes, Bern contributes a lot.

I was mostly talking about 80's Japan, Bern just kicks people while they're down. Well except Ange who was brought up by her only to be eaten for Bern's dinner.

bman in 2288 posted:

I get annoyed easily. Bite me.

Poor choice of words.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 9, 2017

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. It almost feels like they're laying it on too hard.

I mean, it's Battler writing all these things. Whether it's a hint to the truth or a trap to get Erika to believe specific lies, I don't think Battler is very good at subtlety.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I love that Dlanor and her subordinates are in the Fiddyzone debate with the same attitude as everyone in the room, they're uncomfortable and want to leave immediately but can't be cause they don't want to see these two strangle each other.

Was thinking about this tweet the whole update. :thumbsup:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

BurningStone posted:

Jessica is my second choice for Beatrice: somebody on the island six years ago, who would care about a promise Battler made, so they can be sinned against. Not many characters actually fit that.

I want to try narrowing this down from the start, who was there six years ago and is also there now?

Kinzo, Krauss, Natsuhi, Jessica, Eva, Hideyoshi, George, Rudolf, Asumu, Battler, Rosa, Maria, Genji, Shannon, Kanon(?), Kumasawa, and some other servants maybe I think are all of the people who were there 6 years ago.

Crossed out people are not there at the reunion alive. I find it unlikely that an adult at this time held such a strong promise with Battler, but thats just too close minded for this so I'll just cross out Natsuhi since it's in red text shes innocent sans adopted child and redshirt servant. It all seems to be about some promise of something and revenge for forgetting it, so I'll narrow this down to who has the least screen time. Kumasawa is Beatrice, we've all been bamboozled by Virgilia.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

Just because the story of the witch doesn't make that much sense doesn't mean witches don't exist though? What's her point?

She's saying that ancient Japanese methods of protecting the island from evil also working on protecting against Beato's magic are very convenient for anyone trying to get others to believe in it. In other words she's implying it's just the same story that's warped over generations in order to keep a culture's order, not unlike when the Legend of the Golden Witch spread to the now adults on the island after Rudolf said he wanted to pet the wolves in the forest the Kinzo wants his dang kids to stay out of it.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 17, 2017

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

resurgam40 posted:

So Neo-Beato could have been created for this episode, is what you're saying, just a new character stitched whole cloth. Or perhaps a personification of a mask that was always there... the thing that Beatrice pretended to be while being someone else. Someone we probably haven't seen the true self of yet.

This is just my own speculation, so take it with salt. Elder-sister Beatrice is a piece on the board that was made by Beatrice from episode 2 and onward, episode 5's was made by Lambdadelta. They are just there as representations for the sake of the game board, but follow the same actions that Beatrice would just like why Battler's piece is doing things he would do without the knowledge that Sorcerer Battler has. While the Little-Sister Beatrice is the real Beato only she lost her original memories, personality, and abilities due to dying then being revived and some other magic stuff. So the Elder Sister still has the same personality and magic abilities as Beatrice but not the memories, and now they're both on a magical adventure to become whole again.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I hope you feel better soon ProfessorProf.

As for Battle trapping himself in his own fortress. Nothing has been revealed yet so everything is a wild guess, mine is that he trying to pin all suspects down to whoever's trapped in the room which is probably himself. Then he's going to have that person killed to eliminate suspicion and frustrate Erika. There was a hitch and now he has to marry her because of a joke/bet that his piece made during the game or something.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

This game wouldn't be the same without drunk theory posting. Except they're all Beatrice actually.

Are these scene's of Kanon/Jessica supposed to give off so much deja vü of episode 2?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Cyouni posted:

And it turned out we were Battler all along, reading about Ange reading fanfiction.

No we're all Beatrice, but I guess Battler is also Beatrice so that is still true.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

witchcore ricepunk posted:

I LOVE THIS BRING IT ON BITCHES :monar:

Hoping aboard this :bandwagon: I can't believe Umineko might have a tournament arc, the result of this no matter who wins is gonna be everyone else suffering and possibly dying isn't it? nope don't want to think about that right now I'm too excited for this!

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Infinite penisesssss :science:

That reminds me. It really has been a while since there was a wacky FSN fight scene, hasn't it? Erika and Maria didn't quite hit that level, but it probably would have.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I don't think Jessica is going to confront just her mother for her keys if she confronts her at all, besides Natsuhi isn't as strong willed in the same regard as Eva so it won't make for the same impact since she's trying to one up George. And she's much more aloof to what her parents think of her anyway, so I think she's gonna go after pieces that are closer to her like maybe Maria, Battler, or go straight for the jugular and kill Shannon. Sure would be awkward if the whole Shannon=Kannon=Beatrice theory is confirmed.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Jesus Christ Rudolf, so he probably killed his wife and swapped Battler for the dead baby to keep up this awful grip on Kyrie. But thats history now, Jessica is going Higurashi on Kyrie right now. I feel like the Answers arc in this, unlike Higurashi, is only going to get more brutal as it goes on. As long as theres no Rokkenjima syndrome parasites controlling everyone I'm all for it though.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Probably FabulousVillain's theory only makes sense if that quote is Kyrie talking about Rudolf in like a sex slave way? Not totally unfeasible but eughh

I thought that quote was about the Witch she referred to back in Episode 3, which she said was herself not unlike the witch Eva made of herself as a child. Or maybe it was Lambdadelta, the Witch of Certainty.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I've been replaying the first game while following along here and came up with dumb new theory to add to the pile: Kanon was killed before Battler returned to the island, I thought of this one because just like Kinzo he always had his corpse found the same way (Kinzo was always burned up, Kanon was always pierced through the chest) except in Episode 2 where neither of them were found. Sorry if someone already came up with this and I'd forgotten.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

tiistai posted:

There's plenty of Kanon-related red that would seem to contradict that blue like "Kanon is dead. Among the five in Kyrie's group, he was the first to die. In short, he was the ninth victim." from EP4

I guess it may be a stretch to say that the ninth victim does not necessarily mean ninth person of murdered, but "They would never mistakenly think any other person was Kanon!" (referencing episode 2) is a little more tricky. Really depends on if it ties into that moment in episode 2 only, as in they are identifying a corpse, or if it applies to Kanon at all times.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

But Rog Limitation being full-on synth JRPG boss battle music makes up for it.

It sounds more like something from a fighting game to me, I mean it probably is used in a fighting game anyway.

That last scene is the biggest push for Shannon/Kanon/Beato since the beginning of Episode 2, you know the boring-est part.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 2, 2017

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Shkannontrice? They're like Cerberus. A three headed murderer.... maybe.

Beatrice made Battler fight Kinzo turned to a dragon, maybe Battler will make Erika fight one of those.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I don't think that's how Diplomatic Immunity works, but I'm always welcome for Sakutarou's chance to shine...oh. :smith:

Just what was Maria referring to with Rosa killing others? She's aware of the game going on maybe she's referring to a previous Episode like Episode 2, I could picture her being in on the murders there. Although maybe she's referring to Sakutarou now that I think about it.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Jade Rider posted:

I was thinking she was referring to the animal figures Rosa broke in an Ep. 4 flashback.

That's what I meant, although I should have used the more formal wording: The Assassination of Sakutarou by the Coward Rosa Ushiromiya. (I don't remember who made this joke in the last thread, but I should at least mention it wasn't me)

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
If Battler kills someone does that refer to his piece killed someone meaning the red text expired? Or maybe Kinzo is going to be the sixth person since this is all magic anyway.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

RedMagus posted:

Is it just me, or is it getting real difficult to figure out what's "real", what's story, and what's meta? I'm not sure if it's writing issues or something that's suppose to be part of the entire tale, like Scheherazade weaving a story inside a story.

Not really having trouble myself since I gave up trying to figure out how that works back in Episode 3. The way I've accepted it is that you, me, and everyone reading is witnessing multiple timelines and dimensions stacking on top of one another with each episode. I think like anything with too many layers it will eventually collapse in it self and someone, probably Battler or Erika, will have to pick up things up back to one comprehensible layer again. Or this will bounce back so hard that we'll follow Ryukishi07's story of how he was arrested trying to film the ending without permits.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

havenwaters posted:

I should probably watch utena sometime.

:same: got through the first 13 episodes, liked them and just haven't continued for no particular reason.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Artificer posted:

Wait how did Erika throw last game? poo poo. I forgot.

Edit: my god this VN is complicated.

She just tied last game despite having an advantage Battler never had, "throwing the game" is just saying she didn't try hard enough.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Yeah, I think he will.

Erika Furude: Not Just an Intellectual Rapist.

I really find it odd that Bernkastel is only here for the :yokotaro: ending and is getting so frustrated for not getting it, was there some sequel to Higurashi Kai I don't know about where she(or Rika) has more of her own bad time endings or am I missing something?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

bman in 2288 posted:

But what if he doesn't have a wife and kid?

If you put it that way, it makes even more sense for Rudolf to be in on it.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
As completely hosed up everything Erika has done, I does make sense from the fact that this is supposedly her last game to get out of purgatory and if she fails Bern is throwing her into hell. This just has me thinking of what happens after each game since only Eva has escaped this bullshit before and only by herself. Did she also have her own purgatory with Beatrice forced to solve a silly riddle after repeating her own games? Better yet, is every character going through their own game with their own Beatrice and other wacky poo poo to deal with? Probably not.

Anyway, Erika didn't show up at all in the first 4 games because she was probably dead from drowning or didn't exist in the first place. I wonder if any more people will wash up onto the island and gently caress everything up, since from Bernkastel's threats this could be the last we see of Erika if Battler digs out of his own grave... again.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

We know in red that Erika killed everyone. But when? At the end of the hurricane? If it's not in red, then it's not binding to say she killed them as soon as she got the chance.

Before entering Battler's room, probably to confirm that he's dead too (cut off his head).

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

oath2order posted:

To be totally honest guys I have no idea what even the point of Hideyoshi's murder in episode 5 was since the game ends right after and it never factors in at all in the trial.

Eva's into some weird role playing.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
POOL IS CLOSED makes a good point about keeping faith on what this story is intended to tell, but I'm here to post a dumb theory this morning. Kanon, or rather, someone could have stuck out of the rooms sometime after Battler BATTLER told where everyone was and before Erika sealed the rooms. I say this because Erika does not have Detectives Authority and can't simply claim that she would have noticed.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I think those actions happened simultaneously according to the rules though. If so, no one had a chance to slip out between being named and sealed.

Probably, but it I wasn't 100% sure of that so I just threw it out there.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

resurgam40 posted:

Does anyone have the slowly growing :gonk: to post, to better reflect these feelings?

The second half does makes me feel a very strong :gonk: I mean it's not as blatantly graphic or intentionally titillating (which is just :allbuttons: when that bullshit happens in media) as when other works portray a rape scene, but it's still awful and makes me want to fast forward out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Lambdadelta's chair has a pull-string to release thousands of gallons of popcorn into the courtroom, but I think Virgilia was the one who pulled it while Dlanor was standing under where it it all funnels.

• Locked thread