Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.

Aumanor posted:

Holy poo poo, Krauss is an idiot.

iirc Shiny's LP said that Krauss's only real talent was dragging everyone else down with him. It's... not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

lookw posted:

Of course this is assuming she and battler are the same age.

Shannon is 16, Battler is 18, iirc.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

resurgam40 posted:

Jesus Christ. The more time we spend with Berne, the nastier she gets... gently caress me, why did I ever call her "the good one" in my head, or on this forum?

Bern's "North Wind and the Sun" strategy is even more refined than Beato's.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Joining the AAAAA DLANOR :toot: train

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

First thing that's been bugging me, a bunch of people seem to have trouble remembering character's ages, so here's a handy chart:

George is 24
Battler, Jessica, and Shannon are 18 (Battler is exactly 18 years, 2 months, and 19 days old as of October 4th, 1986 incidentally)
Kannon is 16

Shannon is 16, actually.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

From the same update:

"Maybe it's like a servant's 'professional name' or something. If so, I can kind of understand why that Kanon-kun's name sounds the way it does. She's a long-term servant who's served here since she was six years old. Since her body had changed radically, she didn't match my memories, but I got acquainted with her six years ago."

So she started working at age six, and he met her six years ago both. She's sixteen.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Battler doesn't say that they're the same age, he says that they're ABOUT the same age. He doesn't recognize Shannon at first and was estimating, so I think we can give a pass on give or take two years.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think the main thing in this story is that everyone is both a colossal rear end in a top hat and kind of a nice person once you get to know them. Sort of like real people; they aren't strictly divided into good and bad, they just have good parts and (sometimes serious) problems and weaknesses.

Except George, apparently, at least unless I manage to pin something on him.

He's dating someone who only turned the age of consent in Japan this year. That probably counts.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

This line is pretty likely to be a Black Butler reference. Both the manga and the anime would be contemporaneous when these stories were being written. It's about a butler who is a demon, and at least in the anime, he is very prone to saying "Yes, my lord" in English, usually right before some kind of asskicking occurs.

And for extra laughs, said demon butler is voiced by Daisuke Ono.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

And from somewhere other than Umineko.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

It's come up a few times, but I strongly doubt that Sayo and George have had sex since, regardless of what people like to say about Japan, it's illegal to engage in sex with someone under the age of 18, unless they're married. And the youngest a woman can get married is 16, with parental consent.

And Sayo is a 16-year-old orphan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/self/comments/4tj7wp/debunking_the_myth_that_the_age_of_consent_in/

https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citize...6642.1492533601 since the link is broken in the reddit post

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Cyouni posted:

From what I recall, the One-Winged Eagle can't be seen on ep2-Beatrice's other thigh, but that's kinda irrelevant given that can likely be hidden with foundation. It's only ever seen for short bursts, and isn't really examined in detail anyways.

Or it could just be sprite laziness and not wanting to draw individualized sprites for facing left and right. Assuming the sprites do face more than one direction in-game anyway.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

I'm extremely disappointed Battler wasn't the Magician. It'd go perfectly with his name.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

Should I be reading anything into the fact that Kyrie kept saying "18 years" when Rudolf and Asumu were only married for 12 years? Maybe that Kyrie just today learned something that brought her hell to an end, something concerning Battler's real mother?

12 years of marriage + 6 years of Rudolf two-timing them before marriage, maybe?

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

iirc, we don't have an official age for Rudolf beyond "older than Rosa (who is 35-36) and younger than Eva (???)," correct?

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

It would certainly take a lot of care to pull off without breaking the seal, but he could have all the moms to help him, unless Erika is supposed to have killed them all before everyone moved to the guesthouse which seems a tall order.

I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK Erika's murdering happened when she was running around checking the crime scenes while the dads were talking things over, before moving everyone to the guest rooms. If it was after she escaped the rooms, though, yeah, he could have had the "victims" help him.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

EagerSleeper posted:

I'm probably going to have to look this up later because I don't remember the details so much, but wasn't it an issue last episode when Natsuhi was suspected that only she could have done it in a very strict time frame? Didn't they eventually change that around because the only red truth was that people died, not what time the murder took place? I'm sure Natsuhi got off the hook because Battler managed to discover an alternate time that the murder took place at, even though there was supposedly red truth.

The issue was that the "murders" were discovered in the morning of the second day (iirc), but the actual death declarations weren't given until the 24:00 answer session at the end of the game, in the Court of Illusions. They never state WHEN the deaths occurred, only that no deaths occurred before 24:00 of the previous day. So there was a full 24 hours that the murders could have taken place in, not just "before they were discovered."

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

Hachijo is a nerd who writes self-insert fanfics.

Like mistress, like miko.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Cyouni posted:

I should also remind people that forgot that the Chiesters are also very very likely references to the band rabbits that Maria had in episode 4.

ProfessorProf posted:

"C, cowards!! Hey, let go of me, rabbit band!!"

More than just "very very likely," I think?

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Confused Llama posted:

Actually, I believe that the text has explicitly associated the term "witch" with the feminine. At least, both men we've seen with equivalent statuses, Kinzo and Battler, have been called Sorcerers instead of Witches, and at the end of Episode 5, there are multiple instances where the text starts to call Battler a witch and then corrects itself. I'd thought the gender association was made explicit in one of those instances, but I'm not finding it, so maybe that was my own assumption coloring my reading.

According to the "Memoirs of Lady Lambdadelta" bonus update from the previous thread, "Strictly speaking, even if it's a male, you can still call him a witch. Therefore, you can't conclude that the gender of this 'person' is female by means of the speech "I want to become a witch.""

Also, did someone post the motion graphic for EP6 and I missed?

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

And my absolute favorite character has arrived :allears:

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Speaking of the profiles, the second half of Will's profile seems to be missing, unless it's just not showing up on my computer.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

ProfessorProf posted:

"Well, to start... When you get home, wash your hands. Then, rinse out your mouth. You must not complain about this, for it is an important part of a witch apprentice's training."
"I'll do it! Every day, when I come home, I'll wash my hands! I'll rinse out my mouth! If I do that, will I see you again?!"
"I promise it. If you keep your end of the promise, your body will be cleansed, and I will regain even more of my magical power. If that happens, then I will show you magic that is even more incredible the next time you come."

I always thought this was interesting because this mirrors Shinto (again); believers are supposed to run water over their hands and rinse out their mouths at home as well as at shrines. I kinda wonder if Beatrice originally went with a more Shinto-style magic system because of the belief that she was constrained by the little torii shrine?

Also, you know. It's a good way to get a little kid to wash their hands and brush their teeth.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

It's also possible that Yasu set up the trick BEFORE they started cleaning the room. Berune's problem seems to be leaving the keys lying around all the time, so as long as Yasu knew what room they were cleaning, they could easily just take that key off their own key ring and put it in Berune's locker ahead of time before swapping the key rings. I think.

ProfessorProf posted:

"You're wrong!! I talked to Yasu, Shannon, and Kumasawa-san about it!

I was actually wondering about this. Is it possible that this was mistranslated and it was actually meant to be read as "Yasu--Shannon--and Kumasawa"? Or was it written as "Yasu and Shannon and Kumasawa" in Japanese?

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

^^^ But how many "to"s are there?

After listening to a video of that scene, it sounds like Berune goes "YASU NI...Shannon ni... KUMASAWA-SAN TO something something," so it does sound like a correction.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

resurgam40 posted:

Cultural note on things this episode: Orihime and Hikoboshi is probably referring to the tale of the Weavess and the Cowherd, a story that comes up in quite a few eastern countries as a just-so story explaining the movements of the stars Vega and Altair.

Yep, Orihime and Hikoboshi are the local names for Vega and Altair. Tanabata comes up a lot when anime wants to talk about star-crossed lovers.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Off-topic question because it's been driving me nuts, but do you deliberately misspell Natsuhi's name, ZiegeDame? I've got no problems with it, it's just been setting my internal spell check off.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

tiistai posted:

Well, it also helps that the manga goes into more detail about Yasu's life and thoughts than EP7 did. Not so much as to be conclusive, but close enough for enough people, I guess.

The manga was also ambiguous enough that it's still up in the air, at least in my opinion, but we'll get there when we get there, AND that depends on whether one should acknowledge the manga at all in this case (there's been some Death of the Author on the manga in the fandom too, iirc).

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

1 and 2 were bottle stories, 3-6 were written by Hachijo.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

I read the episode 8 manga, not the VN, so the puzzles are all new to me :D

And the answer is A, I think. The riddle says that it's Christmas Day, but that daytime hasn't started yet ("the morning will come.") So I'm guessing that the man with her is going to make it "Christmas once again" on Christmas Day Eve.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

lotus circle posted:

See this is bullshit because as any retail store will tell you, Christmas goes from September 1st to December 25th.

Fix'd

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

A - Grapefruit Easy peasy.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

B I gotta say, I am feeling kinda disappointed by how easy these riddles are so far considering... well, the entire story up until now. Then again, these ARE designed for a six-year-old.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Voting D - Ice Cream because it says that the meal is freshly-made WHEN THE WITCH COMES HOME AT AN APPOINTED TIME. Since she came home late, the stew and bread would be fine and the wine would probably be fine too since you don't ice it, but the ice cream should be all melted.

Rune Full Moon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 7, 2017

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

D because of what ZA said. I HATE math riddles.

Didn't vote yesterday because I got so frustrated with the riddle that I looked up the answer, and then I got mad because it was stupid (desert and dessert should be switched around! It said grand dessert, not grand desert!)

As for Gohda and Kumasawa's conversation, it's like a painful reminder that these people are from Japan, where therapy is heavily shunned because everyone's expected to deal with their problems themselves. It sounds no better than telling someone with depression to stop being depressed, at least to me.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

I think the answer is C but I'm waiting for there to be some kind of trick.

Edit: I knew there was a trick. Changing my answer to E .

Rune Full Moon fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 10, 2017

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Man, I learned piano as a kid and I still didn't make this connection. Gonna place my vote with A too.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

C. 78

Man, I think the only reason I recognized the pattern is because I'm so used to those metals other video games... (and I still needed google)

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

I'm just gonna copy witchcore and vote D. I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

D. 7 ingots

Kytrarewn's rationale did occur, but if it takes longer with the gold ingot, then it's possible she won't get out of the room in time.

Screw it, I know this is gonna be another trick question. E. 8 ingots

Rune Full Moon fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 15, 2017

• Locked thread