Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Reminder that the only thing real life Erika is notable for is falling off a boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
There is plenty of evidence right here that Amakusa was going to kill Ange. (That <Cool> is his catchphrase, not something Eva would say.) But there is also plenty of evidence that he genuinely didn't want to kill her, that he actually cared about her to some degree and wanted to see her life a healthy life. (See: that conversation about child soldiers.) So Ange could probably prevent Amakusa from killing her just by convincing him she wasn't to do something crazy like turn all her assets into cash and use them to build the world's most expensive funeral pyre for her extravagant suicide. But the Erika thing to do is see evidence of the worst possible conclusion, and focus solely on that to the exclusion of all other evidence.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

resurgam40 posted:

(how is she going to dispose of the bodies? She'll have to get rid of the boat, but how will she do that without raising questions, since she was the last person either of these men were seen with? If she said she was hunted by the Sumaderas, that would just raise more questions, invite more scrutiny... Does she intend to spend her life sailing on this nice boat?)

Dump them into the ocean, the Golden Truth, and quite possibly.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

resurgam40 posted:

Just like that? Without any attempt to disfigure them to remove identifying features, or cutting them up? And even then, she'd have to take them out to deep sea, where there are no currents to bear them back to shore, because otherwise it's too much of a risk that a fishing crew would find them before rotting too much for identification- and even then, you'd better make sure they don't have any jewelry that could end up in a fish's belly.

These questions are kinda what bring the ending down for me: for all of the implied intelligence and ruthlessness of the reborn Ange, you'd think they'd be able to accomplish a more skillful murder than just capping two guys in a boat with a crew of three. Being your parent's child doesn't mean you should repeat your parents mistakes- in a more grievous manner too, as there is no bomb to remove this boat from existence. It means she has not truly grown... and thus she is incompetent, as are those before her. The curse continues.

These are the questions that have to be asked, if you want to reach the truth. If Ange's illusions don't hold up to even such rudimentary scrutiny as mine, how can they be called true magic?

Alright, let's do this. Let's plot a crime in reverse.

So the captain is the only person on that boat that anyone is actually going to miss. Should his body wash up somewhere besides Rokkenjima (where nobody would ever find it) it'd be really easy to blame his death on the professional mercenary/hitman. Should Amakusa's body also wash up, well, they were both killed by the favored gun of the Sumadera family, so there's plenty of suspects to pin it on besides the 18 year old girl, who could have easily fled to some tropical paradise with no extradition treaty long before any bodies would be discovered.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

resurgam40 posted:

This part her, real or true, of Battler and Beatrice leaving the island... I don't think I'm a fan.
:words:

I think, if it's based off any game board, it'd have to be EP7/The Single Truth, where Battler may not even know what's going on. Last we saw of him he was wandering towards the chapel unaware of any murders, so it's possible Beato grabbed him and dragged him into the tunnels before he saw anything horrifying, and then the explosion started. At the same time, magic is real, and this scene takes place after everything we've seen until now. So the people talking are are the Endless Witch and Golden Sorcerer, but they're inhabiting a scene that really occurred in the real world, at least with Battler. It's magic that matches the result, essentially: the scene is real insofar as it isn't witnessed by anyone who can say otherwise, and the end result is the same as the mundane explanation. Which is part of why Beato can't actually leave, even if Sayo really was on that boat. Setting aside whether their crimes can be forgiven, Beato is still an illusion, and illusion that can be maintained in the closed space of the island for a day or two, but not one that can be maintained in the outside world. They can't have a happily ever after with Battler as Beato because even if Battler acknowledges they are a witch, the rest of the world won't. That anti-magic toxin is not something Beato can withstand. So that's why Beato has to stay behind in the depths of oblivion where she can't be denied.

As for Battler, the way I see it there are essentially two Battlers. There is the flesh and blood human Ushiromiya Battler, and then there's Fantasy Battler who is basically Prince Charming. So when we see Battler swim back up after failing to rescue Beato, that's the real Battler who is due to pass out on a highway with amnesia. But the Battler who is basically a fantasy creature like Ronove is free to sink into oblivion with his magical wife.

So probably the basic action of that scene is real, but not the specifics. So the real world non-magical version would be Beato gives Battler a boat, Battler says 'nope, you're coming too', once on the water Beato goes 'naw, gonna drown', Battler tries and fails to rescue Beato.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Coulda pulled the same trick Shannon did in the love duel. Or maybe there was something wrong with Kyrie's gun, which is why she bludgeoned Jessica to death instead of shooting her.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Important revelation this update: Lambdadelta isn't just made of candy. She's made of sugar, and spice, and presumably everything nice.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
It's gonna be mittenhands art too, isn't it?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well, it's been a hell of a ride. And bumpy at times. But the road to learning and understand is always gonna be a rough one, but not one you have to walk alone. Thanks Prof for making all of this possible. Thanks everyone else for being great company on this journey.

Furthermore,

Fates End posted:

Behold, the real truth of October 5th, 1986.

:yeah:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rune Full Moon posted:

Happy birthday to Sayo, I think.

Nah, I feel like Rosa met Beatrice some time in the summer, and Yasu obviously had to have been born before that. Also they're consistently stated as being 19, and if they were born in November 1967 they'd still be 18 at the time of the incident.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Also of note about EP 3 is it's the only version where Battler actually dies. I think Toya was trying to say something there :v:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Something stuck out to me during episode 8: Lion is consistently lumped in with the fantasy creatures. If Lion truly were, as Bernkastel claims, a version of Yasu from a world without The Cliff, and they are an ordinary human, you wouldn't expect them to be categorized with the magical gun-rabbits or the personification of SS Van Dine's rules. Even if you make the distiction of humans who were actually there in 1986, you'd expect Lion would count the same as Kinzo, Shannon, and Kanon. But no, they're all humans, and Lion is a fantasy creature. And what do all the fantasy creatures have in common? They are all products of Yasu's (and Maria's) imagination. So then Lion isn't just a simple "What if no cliff" but specifically what Yasu imagined they would be, what they wish they could be. Really puts the confident gender ambiguity in a new light.

I'd say more but I've been commandeered by my miko.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So the fighting game is $20 on Steam right now. Apparently it's not fully translated, though. And also in some horrendous oversight the true culprit isn't even playable.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

EagerSleeper posted:

It's really hard to design a character based around small bombs.

who is the true culprit you were talking about again? I thought it was Kyrie+Rudolf+big bomb

Exactly. One of the images appears to show to full roster and Kyrie isn't on it. I just wanted to see a super move called 18 Years of Jealousy, is that too much to ask?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cyouni posted:

B. Battler totally is on the roster though.

Look, being upstaged by your evil secret-son is just not the same as the top billing that Look-at-the-crime-from-the-killer's-perspective Kyrie deserves.

And I suppose Goatpunch Champion 1986 would be relegated to Jessica's move set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well this died out a lot quicker than I expected it to. I guess everyone moved over to Discord? But I can't seem to find a link to the discord server where it ought to be. Anyone care to help me out?

• Locked thread